• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if The Dark Knight came out right now it would make more than it did.
This goes for basically any movie of the 2000s. It'd comfortably add a few hundred million to its tally. The Raimi Spider-Mans, which didn't hit a billion at the time, were actually huge back then. They'd all be cleared of the billion mark comfortably with ticket prices of today. Gross has always been a flawed metric to try and judge the popularity of movies against each other, especially older movies. Even ignoring ticket prices, you have movies that are affected by exchange rates where they may be making more money in local territories, but the gross may not reflect that in US dollars.

Like, if we use Homecoming as an example, its gross looks good when you compare it to the Raimi movies. Reality is, it's nowhere close to as popular as any of the three movies were back then.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I always forget that Dark Knight never released in China.

Was the Chinese market big back then? I never really payed attention to it until a few years ago.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even realize there was a narrative of Homecoming being a bomb until I started looking at these threads :lol

Aquaman hitting 1b is pretty crazy to me, even though after seeing I can totally see why it's resonating with audiences. I feel like in MCU phase 3 every movie had people (at least on GAF/ERA) claiming that this one would make 1b yet they all fell short minus BP and obviously Avengers.

Civil War cleared a billion too. But outside of Civil War and Infinity War, what other phase 3 movies were seriously predicted to hit a billion? Panther definitely wasn't. Maybe Guardians 2?

I would love for WB to position Aquaman 2 against a future SW non-episode film in December.

Settle this "bu-bu-bu-but December..." talk once and for all.

If WB puts Aquaman 2 in December again, it'd be going up against either a Star Wars or an Avatar.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I didn't even realize there was a narrative of Homecoming being a bomb until I started looking at these threads :lol

Civil War cleared a billion too. But outside of Civil War and Infinity War, what other phase 3 movies were seriously predicted to hit a billion? Panther definitely wasn't. Maybe Guardians 2?

Guardians 2 and Homecoming were the big ones.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Aquaman benefited by audiences thirsty for a Star Wars fix at Christmas after being trained to expect it. Solo would have done much better if it released then, Bumblebee was more of an E.T. tied to a dead franchise, Spider-Man was too animated, Mortal Engines had no support whatsoever, and Mary Poppins wasn't exactly an action spectactle. H20man wouldn't do quite as well going up against Wars/Avatar, I'd think November or Summer alternating with Wonder Woman/Insert DC character here would be fine.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
If IX comes in under TLJ, I can see Star Wars taking a long nap from the big screen.

That leaves only Cameron's greatest creations, Avatar and Aquaman, to square off in 2021

Oct 28, 2017
Was BvS' total gross really *that* bad considering it was a sequel to MoS which debuted at like 650 million only and was the introduction of a brand new Batman that no one had even seen before. The movie still did close to a billion WW.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Was BvS' total gross really *that* bad considering it was a sequel to MoS which debuted at like 650 million only and was the introduction of a brand new Batman that no one had even seen before. The movie still did close to a billion WW.

Who said it was bad at the BO?

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anyone that could have predicted Aquaman will make a billion?? I was expecting at least $600 mill or something.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When you consider the hype and opening numbers the only answer is yes. Honestly, a Batman vs Superman movie by name alone should comfortably hit $1B. The fact it didn't even hit $900M says it all. The awful reviews and bad word of mouth pushed so many potential viewers away.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

The idea that you can make modestly priced Batman crime thriller/action films that cross 1 billion, then add $150 million in CGI and Superman/WW, and make less money, is probably a more realistic way WB would look at it.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
lol

Man, I'm telling you, if he can pull it off, it would make the trilogy GOAT tier for me.

Yes, all of this.

I enjoyed Split but Unbreakable? One of my top superhero films of all time. It may very well be my fave of the three of them (The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2) and I only saw Unbreakable for the first time last year.

Wow you only saw Unbreakable last year?

Is there anyone else in this thread who hasn't seen it yet? You would really be doing yourself a disservice. Don't even watch a trailer a review. Watch it raw and fresh. It's totally worth it.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Was BvS' total gross really *that* bad considering it was a sequel to MoS which debuted at like 650 million only and was the introduction of a brand new Batman that no one had even seen

It had some of the worst legs of any modern blockbuster

Great opening and then a complete collapse after opening weekend when people saw what a miserable experience it was

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If IX comes in under TLJ, I can see Star Wars taking a long nap from the big screen.

That leaves only Cameron's greatest creations, Avatar and Aquaman, to square off in 2021

IX should do better than TLJ I would think. JJ knows how to make a crowd pleaser and I doubt it will be as controversial as TLJ was

I still dont think it will be even close to 2B though

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't see much of an issue with Aquaman 2 launching against Star Wars, especially with mainline Star Wars finishing this year. I think the Star Wars spin-offs would be hurt more by Aquaman if anything. But they need to keep it away from Avatar. Considering how well Aquaman did in China, you don't want it releasing close to Avatar 2. The original Avatar did stupid numbers in its time. That sequel is going to be a monster in China, and probably the international markets in general, and that will undoubtedly affect Aquaman's performance overseas.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
IX should do better than TLJ I would think. JJ knows how to make a crowd pleaser and I doubt it will be as controversial as TLJ was

I think somewhere around 1.5B is reasonable. Without China's support I just don't see it going much higher.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018

I didn't even think that TLJ would hit to 2B before it came out. Force Awakens was seriously a perfect storm of no new Star Wars movie for a decade and choc full of nostalgia bomb that critics and the public loved. I thought it was an ok movie and TLJ was much more interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow you only saw Unbreakable last year?

Is there anyone else in this thread who hasn't seen it yet? You would really be doing yourself a disservice. Don't even watch a trailer a review. Watch it raw and fresh. It's totally worth it.
Yep, and I think going through the MCU era only made Unbreakable that much better. That isn't to imply the MCU movies are bad or that I don't enjoy them (I definitely enjoy them for the most part despite some issues ranging from minor to moderate), but it was just such a refreshing take on it all. Everything from the characters and their motivations, the powers, the scale, the setting, etc... You then take into consideration the fact the movie came out almost 19 years ago and was way ahead of its time.

It gets a very high recommendation from me as well. A must watch superhero film.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in seeing if there's any impact on the MCU after Endgame. Probably not, but it's the conclusion to a decade long story and the presumed end to an endless multi-year hype machine so I wonder if the motivation to go see everything will still be there. I remember people criticizing the scale of AM&W after IW and I wonder if the same will apply to the next few films assuming the Avengers are out to rest for a few years. We might see the same thing with the next Spidey film, where people have a hard time winding down and it hurts their reaction to the movie. Assuming the movie is still good, of course.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Well, it was bad enough that WB shitcanned Snyder and brought on Whedon to reshoot major elements of the movie .

Uh, No. Snyder didn't get canned, Snyder's daughter died. Maybe WB was glad he stepped away because of the reception, but it's complete bull to categorize him being 'shitcanned', especially when he's still largely responsible for a mostly successful run of films. Outside of Justice League, hasn't every DC movie done well?

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
With how successful Aquaman is doing, I am crossing my fingers that the Aquaman 2 has better dialogue (it felt like most of it was exposition) cuz they got the spectacle part of the movie on lock.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, No. Snyder didn't get canned, Snyder's daughter died. Maybe WB was glad he stepped away because of the reception, but it's complete bull to categorize him being 'shitcanned', especially when he's still largely responsible for a mostly successful run of films. Outside of Justice League, hasn't every DC movie done well?

The only one you can categorize as an objective failure is JL yeah

BvS underperformed but it still made money

Oct 28, 2017

His movie was basically taken away from him, his original vision altered in significant ways. If WB didn't think he was a problem they wouldn't have brought in Joss Whedon to rewrite/reshoot his movie. He was almost 6 months into post-production when he was off the project.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
His movie was basically taken away from him, his original vision altered in significant ways. If WB didn't think he was a problem they wouldn't have brought in Joss Whedon to rewrite/reshoot his movie. He was almost 6 months into post-production when he was off the project.

Because his daughter died. He stepped down.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Whedon stuff was really awful in JL

I honestly think his additions were worse than any of the Snyder stuff. Wasnt it rumored the cast hated working with him?

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Box office predictions for DUNE?

😈
Hah.
The best outcome I think would be a Fury Road type scenario. Stellar reviews and respectable -if unspectacular- box-office numbers for a movie of this type.
But I don't see Villeneuve as a crowd-pleasing type of filmmaker. There's kind of a ceiling that I don't think his movies can cross, unlike someone like Nolan for example.
What sucks is that the most exciting thing about any Dune project for me is always what's past the first book.

Status
Not open for further replies.