• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
I'm genuinely happy for Bumblebee. It should finish as follows:

China - $115M
Domestically - $120M
Foreign - $190m

Total: $425m

The above should be enough for Paramount and Hasbro, as the latter are also co-financiers, to greenlight Prime solo film.

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though it's based on a (very, very popular) existing property, there's nothing quite like Detective Pikachu coming out. The trailer completely floored just about everyone in both how weird it looks (even for Pokemon) and how good it looks. It went from most people not even knowing what it was to one of the most anticipated movies of the year.
it went from "who the fuck greenlight this movie" to "wtf, it (the trailer) looks.. good?"

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Screenshot_20190104-094206_Chrome.jpg

Bumblebee is beating those 40M opening projections for China. It might hit 55M if Saturday is strong.

Bumblebee murdered Spider-verse in the process though. Down 82% from last Friday, and the full weekend will be even worse, since Sunday was hugely inflated last week. This weekend will be a bit over 1M. Last weekend was over 8M I believe.
Spider-Verse :(

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
2019 is looking to be a great year for movies. The kid that would be king, any word early word of mouth from that? From screenings of what have you

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, there's tons of films coming out this year I want to see. I'd probably need a top 10 as opposed to a top 3.

Overall if I could only pick three, and be a bit unorthodox in the process:

1. The Lion King remake
2. Farmageddon: A Shaun the Sheep Movie
3. Avengers: Endgame

Also cool to see vinny's now on era. :)

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
it went from "who the fuck greenlight this movie" to "wtf, it (the trailer) looks.. good?"
I refused to believe it was actually coming out till I saw the trailer. Even when I saw people on Twitter talking about it, I was like, "They actually went through with it?"

Man I couldn't give two shits about Toy Story 4
Same. I just don't care anymore. The first three gave me everything I need from those characters.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though it's based on a (very, very popular) existing property, there's nothing quite like Detective Pikachu coming out. The trailer completely floored just about everyone in both how weird it looks (even for Pokemon) and how good it looks. It went from most people not even knowing what it was to one of the most anticipated movies of the year.

I went in fully expecting Detective Pikachu to look like a total trainwreck and had zero interest in it. The trailer was so unexpectedly good it blew me away

No joke given how huge Pokemon is WW, the fact it looks so good, and is something that will appeal to everyone from children to adults that grew up on Pokemon, 700m+ seems fully doable imo. I won't be surprised if its significantly higher honestly

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Should give honorable mentions to John Wick 3, HTTYD3 and Glass. Can't wait to see how those series wrap up.
I'm very surprised how much Detective Pikachu appears on Movie-Era's lists. 😮
That trailer blew everyone away. Everyone was expecting a trainwreck. Instead we got a movie that actually looks charming and that pays respect to the entire Pokemon franchise. For me, Detective Pikachu went from 0 to over9000 hype just from that trailer alone.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Black Panther got nominations from both the PGA and SAG now. DGA noms are announced next Tuesday, but I think that a best picture nomination at the Academy Awards is nearly locked now. It has hit all of the milestone indicators.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'll throw a fit if Spiderverse doesn't get nominated for Best Animated Picture and Aquaman for Best Special Effects.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther got nominations from both the PGA and SAG now. DGA noms are announced next Tuesday, but I think that a best picture nomination at the Academy Awards is nearly locked now. It has hit all of the milestone indicators.

It won't get the win though, which means its still a lesser film than "The Academy Award Winnimg Film Suicide Squad"

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I am not keen on using JL as a barometer, but just realized that Aquaman's international take will be more than the film's total

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I am not keen on using JL as a barometer, but just realized that Aquaman's international take will be more than the film's total

It's time to let JL go as a barometer. All that ever amounted to was a snide joke, and bringing it up now seems very fanboyish.

People don't do the same thing with Solo, or Ghost in the Shell, or any other movies that bombed.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I love BP, but the CGI in that movie sucks ass. I honestly don't know why it's being nominated for Best Special Effects. It totally deserves a nom for Costume Design tho.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the deal with Black Panther was that they essentially rewrote the third act and ended up crunching the VFX.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a fuck up on WB's part, either pushing the film too late or not at all for consideration. Meanwhile, Marvel is doing full court press for Black Panther, for weeks if not months.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther getting a VFX nod over Aquaman is insane. I really enjoyed BP but the CGI was really rough for a huge blockbuster and Aquaman looked amazing.

Panther for sure deserves a nod for costume and makeup though

Nov 1, 2017
The CGI is only like the 18th most important part of a movie. Some shoddy CGI doesn't effect my enjoyment of BP at all and shouldn't make it any lesser of a movie. IMO it shouldn't be nominated for Best Picture for other reasons.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the deal with Black Panther was that they essentially rewrote the third act and ended up crunching the VFX.
I wonder what the original plan was, because that entire battle was a mess. Coogler gave the SW prequels a run for their money with that entire sequence.

Folks love to pile on the last act of WW, but nothing there was as hard to watch as Bilbo flying VR ships around.

Dec 12, 2017
Is there a way to pre-subscribe to a thread that doesn't even exist yet?

The salt in that one will stop hearts.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the original plan was, because that entire battle was a mess. Coogler gave the SW prequels a run for their money with that entire sequence.

Folks love to pile on the last act of WW, but nothing there was as hard to watch as Bilbo flying VR ships around.
Black Panther really didn't need a big third act, kinda like Wonder Woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.