• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Just in terms of Hollywood movies I'd say:

1 - Glass
2 - Detective pikachu
3 - Us

Honestly though I'm just excited about 2019 I'm general. So many good movies coming and the BO is going to be crazy. I might be more excited for the BO numbers than the movies lol.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Having "plans" for Ms. Marvel can mean literally anything. A side character in Captain Marvel, a side character in a Young Avengers movie, and yeah, maybe her own solo film.

But having a sidekick set up for a Captain Marvel sequel is significantly different from "we are going to have a muslim girl headline a tentpole film." And America's relationship with muslims right now (let's be real, the world's relationship with muslims) is far from a point where Hollywood is going to give them a major chance. Disney couldn't even bother to get a Middle-Eastern actress to play Jasmine. They picked a half-Indian actress, as if that is "close enough."

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
jack_package_200 brings up a great topic, Movie Era.

If you can only peep 3 movies in 2019, what are your picks?

For me, it's hard but prolly:

1) Endgame
2) IT: Chapter 2
3) Us

Runner up: Episode 9
Probably:
1. Avengers: Endgame
2. Shazam
3. John Wick 3

I watched Aquaman and Spider-Verse almost back-to-back today and really enjoyed them both for very different reasons. Spider-Verse is amazing, easily the best Spider-Man movie and my favourite superhero movie since maybe The Dark Knight. And I can understand why some people were saying Aquaman's a better Star Wars than the sequel trilogy, it's such a fun, fantastical ride. Hopefully James Wan sticks around for at least another sequel or two.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
A man of good taste.

It's tough but for me:

1) Detective Pikachu
2) Avengers: Endgame
3) Sonic the Hedgehog

I predict nothing else in the year will give me as much entertainment in the long run as Sonic.
The day that first Sonic trailer drops is going to be an amazing time on the internet. The posters already fed us in terms of memes and general fuckery. Cannot wait to see it in motion.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman's on it's way to touch a billion dollars, all those DC haters, critics, bloggers who have been biased against DC and favorable towards Marvel can go eat crow!

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
jack_package_200 brings up a great topic, Movie Era.

If you can only peep 3 movies in 2019, what are your picks?

For me, it's hard but prolly:

1) Endgame
2) IT: Chapter 2
3) Us

Runner up: Episode 9

1) Avengers: Endgame
2) Us
3) Captain Marvel

I'm interested in why so many people are placing Detective Pikachu up on their lists. It looks very interesting, but I thought I'd be in the minority there.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I'd go:

1) Godzilla
2) Once Upon a Time In Hollywood (I'm a bit worried about how Tarantino is going to deal with the subject matter but I can't deny that I'm curious)
3) Pikachu (and I've never even played the games)

Regarding the topic of the Ms. Marvel film, a good way to introduce the character could be a Champions movie. I haven't liked what I read of the comic but the concept could work. In a post End Game world, that could be a good way to introduce a new generation of heroes. Kamala, Nova, Miles, etc.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Avengers: Endgame
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Detective Pikachu

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
1. John Wick: Chapter 3
2. Us
3. Godzilla: King of the Monsters

I'm not sure that's actually the right order but those are the 3 movies for sure.

Last edited:

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
2) Us
3) Captain Marvel

I'm interested in why so many people are placing Detective Pikachu up on their lists. It looks very interesting, but I thought I'd be in the minority there.
First live action movie in the largest franchise of all time! Plus it looks better than it has any right to, I can't wait for it.

Forgot John Wick is also out this year. 2019 is stacked.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I'd go:

1) Godzilla
2) Once Upon a Time In Hollywood (I'm a bit worried about how Tarantino is going to deal with the subject matter but I can't deny that I'm curious)
3) Pikachu (and I've never even played the games)

More I think about it, yeah, that'd probably be my list.

Looking at what's out next year...this year, Us, Glass, Ford v Ferrari, and Ad Astra are all up there.

Not too excited about any of the superhero movies compared to this year... last year... fuck. It's 2019. It is 2019.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The movie's months away. No one's going to know the answer to that.
Well, there was a thread about the future bombs of 2019 so it was worth a try since a lot of people are looking forward to the movie.

I believe there is also a consensus about several movies coming next year (Lion King, Avengers ...) but they are sequels/remake so it is easier to predict.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman's on it's way to touch a billion dollars, all those DC haters, critics, bloggers who have been biased against DC and favorable towards Marvel can go eat crow!
I think this actually pretty much proves (if there was a need) there has been no such thing, and DC just needed to release a decent (as in not shitty) film to surf on the Comic movie wave.
So.... Yeah.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Well, there was a thread about the future bombs of 2019 so it was worth a try since a lot of people are looking forward to the movie.

I believe there is also a consensus about several movies coming next year (Lion King, Avengers ...) but they are sequels/remake so it is easier to predict.
Yeah.
The trailer has 53m views and 1.3m likes so, just based off that, I'd expect it to do really well.

I think a trailer getting to over 1m likes is one of the surest signs it'll do really well. A lot of big trailers don't get that kind of engagement.

Last edited:

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
It is odd to feel so ambivalent about Star Wars and Avengers. For the former, as much as I liked TLJ, it kinda set a clean slate for Star Wars 9. That's not a bad thing but there's nothing there to get me excited yet.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I've never seen a huge movie get sweeped under the rug on social media like Toy Story 4.

It's gonna make its money, but Det. Pikachu showing up moments after just overshadowed it.

Then they Key and Peele trailer thing they released the following day...

zFB7pti.gif

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Screenshot_20190104-094206_Chrome.jpg

Bumblebee is beating those 40M opening projections for China. It might hit 55M if Saturday is strong.

Bumblebee murdered Spider-verse in the process though. Down 82% from last Friday, and the full weekend will be even worse, since Sunday was hugely inflated last week. This weekend will be a bit over 1M. Last weekend was over 8M I believe.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
2) Us
3) Captain Marvel

Even though it's based on a (very, very popular) existing property, there's nothing quite like Detective Pikachu coming out. The trailer completely floored just about everyone in both how weird it looks (even for Pokemon) and how good it looks. It went from most people not even knowing what it was to one of the most anticipated movies of the year.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Even though it's based on a (very, very popular) existing property, there's nothing quite like Detective Pikachu coming out. The trailer completely floored just about everyone in both how weird it looks (even for Pokemon) and how good it looks. It went from most people not even knowing what it was to one of the most anticipated movies of the year.

i'm glad so many other people see it like i do

Oct 31, 2017
In the movie business, everyone talks about box office, which is revenue. But what about profit?

It's all about return on invested capital. I just mentioned box office, but I'm much more focused on ROIC. The ROIC in the broader movie business is probably in the low single digits, and we have years that it's above 30%. And that's because of choices we're making. The franchises and the name value of these. There was a purpose to all of this. It didn't just happen. It was designed.

That's interesting. I didn't know profits for movies in general are mainly in the single digits. I always thought that anything after 2x the budget was mostly profit. I guess that's untrue.

Status
Not open for further replies.