• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You joke but I watched Bumblebee last night and while I was leaving, the family behind me including their kids agreed it was boring and nowhere near as good as the others.
I prefer the first. That's not to say Bumblebee is a bad movie, but it would have been better without the Transformers part

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically, any Ms Marvel movie would probably be after Captain Marvel 3, unfortunately.

I'm cynically basing that completely on the fact that one is a brown skinned muslim American girl and the other a blonde white woman. We'll be extremely lucky to see a Kamala movie at all and especially in this decade, very unfortunately. Don't hold your breath on a Ms Marvel movie being officially announced and in production anytime soon.

Oct 27, 2017
The Black Widow movie should have come a somewhere in Phase 2 if they were gonna do it at all. The main reason people really wanted it was the lack of female superheroes and everyone was high off the hype of the first Avengers.

Now though? By the time it comes out, we'll have Captain Marvel, two Wonder Woman movies, and Birds of Prey so the female superhero angle is kind of gone as far as uniqueness. On top of that, they haven't done anything particularly interesting with Black Widow's character over the years that the prospect of a movie about her is all that enticing.

It could still be good, but yeah. Right now, it's just not something I'm interested in.

Yep. They should have struck while the iron (man) was hot and done a Black Widow solo directly after either The Winter Soldier or Age of Ultron.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I actually lost faith in streams crossing with regards to 'Verse and 🐝 but here we are;

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
The problem with Bumblebee is the markets that liked the Bay movies were nonetheless fatigued after 5 movies and probably not interested in a prequel. The markets (US) that fell off the Bay bandwagon some time ago were also not interested in a new one.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I actually lost faith in streams crossing with regards to 'Verse and 🐝 but here we are;

Was calling that over a week ago. :P bumblebee could still continue the trend of eeking our wins on weekends however. Here's hoping that they both end up doing well enough.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Some school boards are still on winter break, so Poppins and all of the animated films had better holds from Tuesday than the rest.

Looks like Aquaman will pass Ragnarok and Venom worldwide before the weekend. GotG2 goes down Thurs or Friday morning. BvS might be Friday as well. Homecoming, and Spider-Man 3 on Sat/Sun. After that we wait a couple of weeks for it to pass The Dark Knight.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Some school boards are still on winter break, so Poppins and all of the animated films had better holds from Tuesday than the rest.

Looks like Aquaman will pass Ragnarok and Venom worldwide before the weekend. GotG2 goes down Thurs or Friday morning. BvS might be Friday as well. Homecoming, and Spider-Man 3 on Sat/Sun. After that we wait a couple of weeks for it to pass The Dark Knight.
And Japan is the only major market left for it to open in, right?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think Marvel can make a hit female-led superhero movie whose hook isn't "the first/second/third female-led superhero movie."

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

all the schools were I live are on WB>

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Joker is going to be huge.

500 - 600 mil WW.

What was the budget again?
If it is a smash hit, I wonder if WB have any plans to try and tie it into their DCEU, contrary to what's been said about its being a standalone?
I think a lot of their plans for future movies are waiting on current success to come to fruition ie Flash, Green lantern and all the others.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Joker might not get a release in China. Next year is packed, and they might decide that it fails their moral guidelines.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I think Shazam will do very well.

A good second trailer (due this month) showcasing cool action and transformations will build hype.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Mary Poppins seems rather leggy so far. I really need to go see.

Kind of sad to hear that the songs don't live up to the original though.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
If it is a smash hit, I wonder if WB have any plans to try and tie it into their DCEU, contrary to what's been said about its being a standalone?
I think a lot of their plans for future movies are waiting on current success to come to fruition ie Flash, Green lantern and all the others.
They'd have to kidnap Jaoquin and force him to sign a multi-film contract

Maybe that's why he's running

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
boxoffice.com weekend predictions:
Code:
Aquaman                     $28,000,000  $257,000,000 -46%
Mary Poppins Returns        $19,000,000  $141,900,000 -33%
Escape Room                 $14,000,000  $14,000,000   NEW
Into the Spider-Verse       $12,800,000  $133,400,000 -32%
Bumblebee                   $12,700,000  $97,000,000  -39%
The Mule                    $8,000,000   $80,100,000  -34%
Vice                        $5,400,000   $29,300,000  -30%
Second Act                  $4,800,000   $32,800,000  -35%
Ralph Breaks the Internet   $4,300,000   $186,800,000 -36%
Holmes and Watson           $3,500,000   $28,500,000  -53%

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
What's the likelihood of Aquaman hitting $1B?

Over 90%. It would have to drop 65% this weekend to put that in doubt.

Do studios still only get 25% of the gross in China? I know you mentioned some time back they were trying to negotiate that to a higher percentage. Any thing happened there, or is happening?

There was talk on negotiating a better percentage. But then Trump happened.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it looks like Aquaman will be #1 at the box office all the way until Glass releases. So basically 4 weeks in a row.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It's fun to got back in time at Era and look at all the predictions about Mary Poppins, Spider-Verse, Aquaman and Bumblebee (and Alita, which I guess was originally going to be December). Not calling anyone specific out because we were all pretty wrong. I certainly was. I expected Poppins to steamroll and Aquaman to perform middling but not bomb. And it's the other way around.

Oct 28, 2017

Holy shit!

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
It' not impossible that Aquaman gets dethroned by that dog movie.

Edit: or the Upside I guess. If one of them overperforms, they could stop that 4th Aquaman weekend. Aquaman will be down to high teens or low 20s next weekend.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Still fits with the overall trend of the performance between the two. It's not like BB didn't also benefit from the boarding schools being off given its demos. Spiderverse overtook bumblebee last Thursday, but then the weekend rush favouring fresher releases etc helped push Bumblebee higher for a bit.

If Bulblebee stays above spiderverse this weekend, it will be barely with the upcoming weekdays having it fall behind. Not that the sum difference will be massive.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2018-12-27&track=animatedspider-man.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.