• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
For clarification, I've been saying the thing about DC having a higher floor than Marvel since around 2016, according to a web search of the old place. That's not based on DC being "better," but more on the fact that WB has access to the entire DC Universe. Back when Marvel Entertainment really started its film universe, Spider-Man and X-Men were the company's strongest brands. That's not to say Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man were complete unknowns, but Marvel was starting from its B-tier. They built that Avengers brand, and then Marvel Studios brand as a whole.

WB has mishandled the DCEU, but it's always controlled DC's biggest and brightest. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, The Joker, and later Harley Quinn. (One of the few modern comic characters to take off.) WB has had this:
Jlfounding.jpg

batman_animated_essential_primary.jpg

9efeebe0-00a8-4e47-84eb-13d2831dbd9c.jpg

You can jump farther back.

All coming back to these folks, with the later additions of Flash and Green Lantern.

People were making Aquaman jokes on live TV in the 80s, but that's because we all knew who Aquaman was. WB chose that JL team for a reason and part of that goes back to this.

The closest Marvel has I said Spider-Man, the Hulk, and starting in the 90s, the X-Men. The handing of DC Comics as a worldwide brand since the 70s is far better than Marvel's until the MCU, where without the rights to its biggest brands, Marvel builds up the next level down. Marvel has access to Spider-Man as long as Sony plays ball, and it has the X-Men back, but I think the company hurt the brand slightly by deemphasizing it. (I think not having its biggest has helped Marvel focus on other properties, which has helped, but that's another discussion.)

WB doesn't have to play games. It owns everything. DC's floor for films is higher because the company has kept the primary parts of its brand as cultural touchstones for 40 years. Marvel had to play catch up until WB dropped the ball, since it didn't have Spider-Man and the X-Men.

But now, everything is fun man. We have ourselves some real competition, which should raise the bar.

kittoo

Banned
Apr 20, 2018
Damn Aquaman almost locking 1b up. Didnt think that was possible. WB probably wouldve been happy at 7-800m too.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I think Shazam will do respectable numbers but nothing too crazy.
But who cares, they'll have Dwayne Johnson in the sequel. Well, hopefully. Three generations of my family lived and died since he was cast as Black Adam.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to change my top 3 of 2019 and put Lion King in 3rd and move Detective Pikachu into 4th. I think Avengers 4 will crack $2.3b, Star Wars IX will crack $1.5b, and Lion King and DP will sneak over $1.3b. I think there's a chance of a Chinese film passing $1b in its home market.

Shazam will do good for its budget.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
For clarification, I've been saying the thing about DC having a higher floor than Marvel since around 2016, according to a web search of the old place. That's not based on DC being "better," but more on the fact that WB has access to the entire DC Universe. Back when Marvel Entertainment really started its film universe, Spider-Man and X-Men were the company's strongest brands. That's not to say Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man were complete unknowns, but Marvel was starting from its B-tier. They built that Avengers brand, and then Marvel Studios brand as a whole.

WB has mishandled the DCEU, but it's always controlled DC's biggest and brightest. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, The Joker, and later Harley Quinn. (One of the few modern comic characters to take off.) WB has had this:

You can jump farther back.

All coming back to these folks, with the later additions of Flash and Green Lantern.

People were making Aquaman jokes on live TV in the 80s, but that's because we all knew who Aquaman was. WB chose that JL team for a reason and part of that goes back to this.

The closest Marvel has I said Spider-Man, the Hulk, and starting in the 90s, the X-Men. The handing of DC Comics as a worldwide brand since the 70s is far better than Marvel's until the MCU, where without the rights to its biggest brands, Marvel builds up the next level down. Marvel has access to Spider-Man as long as Sony plays ball, and it has the X-Men back, but I think the company hurt the brand slightly by deemphasizing it. (I think not having its biggest has helped Marvel focus on other properties, which has helped, but that's another discussion.)

WB doesn't have to play games. It owns everything. DC's floor for films is higher because the company has kept the primary parts of its brand as cultural touchstones for 40 years. Marvel had to play catch up until WB dropped the ball, since it didn't have Spider-Man and the X-Men.

But now, everything is fun man. We have ourselves some real competition, which should raise the bar.
I'm going to copy this and share with some friends, very well said thanks for that.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My wife bought us Spider-Man tickets this weekend. I am excited to see it, finally.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not expecting huge numbers for Shazam but it has the novelty factor in it's favor with the kid turning into a superhero angle. That could play really well with kids and families.

Us is horror and probably rated R. There's not much around CM to mess with it until Shazam launches a month later.

Don't think it's that simple. Obviously, you aren't going to take your kids to see Us but 50% of the MCU audience is over 25. Us is going to do $200M+ at the box office, that's competition no matter how you slice it.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
The handing of DC Comics as a worldwide brand since the 70s is far better than Marvel's until the MCU
I've had this argument a thousand times on here before but no, that is way too broad of a statement. It is only true for a select few territories. In actuality, it really is a case by case scenario. This idea that the DC heroes are cultural touchstones was never real in most places outside of Batman and Superman and Superman is a widely disliked character*, hence why every new Superman film is such an uphill battle. And why a non-entity like Aquaman with absolutely zero baggage in most countries can easily outgross Man of Steel.

All of this has been reflected by the international performance of the recent DC films. Which doesn't mean that they can't increase their brand awareness -and Aquaman and Wonder Woman are proof that they have been doing that- but the very base of your reasoning is flawed. Every non-Batman character is basically starting from scratch internationally, same as the MCU ten years ago.

I hope this post doesn't come off as too fanboyish or anything, I'm not writing this from a DC vs Marvel perspective at all.
*And I fucking love Superman.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's rare I see three movies at the theaters during the Holidays but Bumblebee, Spiderverse, and Aquaman really delivered. Fun stuff!

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I think Shazam will do respectable numbers but nothing too crazy.
But who cares, they'll have Dwayne Johnson in the sequel. Well, hopefully. Three generations of my family lived and died since he was cast as Black Adam.

It's still weird but not surprisingly how Rock wants a Black Adam solo movie.

Who knows how that plays out. Shazam, Black Adam, then a crossover/versus movie with the two as a pseudo sequel of both.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've had this argument a thousand times on here before but no, that is way too broad of a statement. It is only true for a select few territories. In actuality, it really is a case by case scenario. This idea that the DC heroes are cultural touchstones was never real in most places outside of Batman and Superman and Superman is a widely disliked character*, hence why every new Superman film is such an uphill battle. And why a non-entity like Aquaman with absolutely zero baggage in most countries can easily outgross Man of Steel.

All of this has been reflected by the international performance of the recent DC films. Which doesn't mean that they can't increase their brand awareness -and Aquaman and Wonder Woman are proof that they have been doing that- but the very base of your reasoning is flawed. Every non-Batman character is basically starting from scratch internationally, same as the MCU ten years ago.

I hope this post doesn't come off as too fanboyish or anything, I'm not writing this from a DC vs Marvel perspective at all.

I think you're arguing two related, but different points.

What he is saying, is that one way or another DC has kept their characters out there via video games, animated movies, TV shows and the likes.

And I know a few of them aired in different countries, Injustice is a fairly global success and the likes.

That however doesn't mean that the character resonated with others outside of the country, but you would be hard pressed to find a time in the last 40 some odd years where there wasn't a few projects with DC characters out there.

Marvel for its part, kind of doesn't have much of a presence in the 80s or the back half of the 90s until the Spider-man/X-men movies took off in early 2000s.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think that you can draw any conclusions from China.

And on that note, people are getting a little carried away. Outside of China, Aquaman is doing solid numbers, but not really anything outside of the norm for recent superhero films. I am not sure how we have gotten to the conclusion that DC has a higher ceiling than Marvel based on a film that is going to do similar or lower business than 6 of the past 8 MCU films, outside of one territory that has seen superhero films blow up this year for whatever reason.

I wouldn't say the chinese superhero film market blew up this year. Venom and Aquaman did numbers there, getting close to 300MM. IW you can argue for the same, but one could argue that a much bigger output from IW should be expected based on the numbers from Venom and Aquaman. Ant Man and Black Panther did regular Marvel numbers there. Incredibles 2 did poorly relatively speaking. I wouldn't say that's the market blowing up. Venom and Aquaman are/were unknown quantities over there, so the only thing that I'm guessing was outstanding was the marketing. I guess the litmus test for the Chinese market will be this year. If they are warming up and SH movies are becoming a big thing there like you are implying, then we should expect 200MM+ from Captain Marvel, Shazam, FFH, Joker and 450MM+ from Endgame. If they all do numbers close to those, then I'll be inclined to say you are on to something. If, instead, Sony and WB are able to replicate the success of Venom/Aquaman and CM and Endgame do similar numbers to Marvel's own, then I think it's more to do with the way things are marketed there.

I was being a little facetious on the DC front, but you can't deny that DC characters have had more time on the public's mind than Marvel. DC is putting up big numbers with subpar movies. I am not sure if DC has a higher floor and higher ceiling (after all Batman Begins failed to crack 400MM WW and it's arguably the best Batman movie ever). DCEU has had the advantage of being released in a post Avengers world. The numbers for the majority of super hero movies post Avengers is telling and the Avengers effect on super hero movies cannot be ignored.

That said, I grew up watching basketball and other sports and I remember some commentators saying stuff like, "Batman, Superman, and Rodman" or "Stacey 'Plastic Man'" in the 90s. Only more recently have I seen prominent athletes with Marvel nicknames (i.e. Randy Couture as Captain America in the 2000s and Anderson The Spider Silva in the late 2010s. Also more recently soccer players being called Hulk or olympic wrestlers going out with Ironman, Captain, and Black Panther singlets for trials). Except for Spiderman and XMen, DC has always had the mainstream characters until the MCU IMO. One thing to keep in mind though - and Feige gets this - is that most people don't know what's what. I can tell that until I got into CBM I had no idea XMen was Marvel or Spider man was not made by the same company that made Batman.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I think you're arguing two related, but different points.

What he is saying, is that one way or another DC has kept their characters out there via video games, animated movies, TV shows and the likes.

And I know a few of them aired in different countries, Injustice is a fairly global success and the likes.

That however doesn't mean that the character resonated with others outside of the country, but you would be hard pressed to find a time in the last 40 some odd years where there wasn't a few projects with DC characters out there.

Marvel for its part, kind of doesn't have much of a presence in the 80s or the back half of the 90s until the Spider-man/X-men movies took off in early 2000s.
Fair enough and I do agree with that to an extent.
I didn't quote that part directly but my post was mostly a response to the idea of the DC heroes as cultural touchstones. I see that mentioned a lot on ERA (and GAF previously) and while I admit that it is a pet peeve of mine that I should probably just let slide, it does strike me every time as a very US-centric perspective. Whatever DC and WB did in the 70s, 80s and 90s to position their brands outside of America, it didn't really take in a lot of places at all, while Marvel successfully implanted its root in many countries going back to the 60s with a continued presence since then. That is true for a large part of Western Europe. Again, I'm not saying that it's true everywhere, it's a case by case scenario. But a lot of US folks do not seem to be aware of that. Which is why I find such sweeping statements about the DC properties a bit unjustified every time.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Spider-verse is returning to Dolby Theaters in several places after Mary Poppins leaves.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
What I loved in Aquaman was his strong character development and the themes of Contrition, Dialogue, Mercy, and admitting and understanding ones shortcomings being the true qualities of both a hero and a leader.

He just had fantastic characterization as this jolly guy who is rough around the edges and not as dumb as he looks, who really learned from his mistakes.

Oct 31, 2017
Will a Ms. Marvel movie come before or after captian marvel 2?

Realistically, any Ms Marvel movie would probably be after Captain Marvel 3, unfortunately.

I'm cynically basing that completely on the fact that one is a brown skinned muslim American girl and the other a blonde white woman. We'll be extremely lucky to see a Kamala movie at all and especially in this decade, very unfortunately. Don't hold your breath on a Ms Marvel movie being officially announced and in production anytime soon.

Oct 25, 2017
The Black Widow movie should have come a somewhere in Phase 2 if they were gonna do it at all. The main reason people really wanted it was the lack of female superheroes and everyone was high off the hype of the first Avengers.

Now though? By the time it comes out, we'll have Captain Marvel, two Wonder Woman movies, and Birds of Prey so the female superhero angle is kind of gone as far as uniqueness. On top of that, they haven't done anything particularly interesting with Black Widow's character over the years that the prospect of a movie about her is all that enticing.

It could still be good, but yeah. Right now, it's just not something I'm interested in.
True. Had this film came out like 4 years ago I might have been exciting to see it. I already know how the fight scenes are going to turn out. She's going to be doing hurricanrana's all over the damn movie.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
What I loved in Aquaman was his strong character development and the themes of Contrition, Dialogue, Mercy, and admitting and understanding ones shortcomings being the true qualities of both a hero and a leader.

He just had fantastic characterization as this jolly guy who is rough around the edges and not as dumb as he looks, who really learned from his mistakes.

That's a very nice summary.

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
If we're talking DC vs Marvel floors then it's Green Lantern vs Fantastic Four. And nobody wants to talk about those.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Completely agree. He got a lot of character development.

Also, a lot of ass-whoopin'.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Once upon a time I said a DC movie would never make more than Star Wars. Well, I guess fuck me.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
There was a poster a thread back that was doom and glooming the financial returns on Bumblebee for Paramount/Hasbro; only now do I realize that most people had no idea of the Tencent Deal that was struck.

Are these kinds of deals common? Would it make more sense stuff like this is why the focus on China. Cause shit, they secured like half the budget with that deal

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think it's that simple. Obviously, you aren't going to take your kids to see Us but 50% of the MCU audience is over 25. Us is going to do $200M+ at the box office, that's competition no matter how you slice it.

True. Can't argue that it might draw away some of the demo, I'm just not seeing a huge overlap.

Well, I'm not disagreeing that it's a case by case basis. The world is pretty big. But on the rest:
The original Batman film was a 60/30 split, but that grew from Forever. The Dark Knight films were 55/44, until Rises, which sees international take over. The original Superman made more than half its money internationally. Superman Returns and Man of Steel were likewise. BvS made around 60 percent.

Batman and Superman are household names worldwide, and that's not due to the comics. Most of it is due to international licensing and syndication; Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman shirts, shoes, toys, etc. And later, the international airing of shows and cartoons related to DC heroes.

Citation #1
As late as 1985, Marvel derived only about eight percent of its revenue from licensing; In the same year, well before the wave of Batman products brought forth by the 1989 film, DC derived over 60 percent of its income from licensing. The success of the Spider-Man and X-Men film franchises at the beginning of the 21st century considerable new licensing income to Marvel.

Citation #2
Fans often like to debate which superhero might beat another in a fight, but in the realm of image-marketing there is no doubt – Superman wins every time. "He is the first global superhero," said Larry Tye, author of Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero.

When Tye was researching his book, he put out a call for stories about Superman. He wanted people to tell him what he meant to them. He had expected most responses to come from America. But they did not. "They came from Europe and from Africa. From everywhere," Tye said.

I'm not saying these heroes were outstripping local cultural product—Europe is loving say, Asterix more than a DC hero—but DC Comics' main heroes have enjoyed higher visibility over a more consistent period of time than Marvel. Certainly more than Marvel had until Spider-Man and the X-Men in the 90s, and again, Marvel didn't have direct access to them.

And nah, you don't have to worry about your post being seen as fanboy stuff. S'all good.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman's and Venom's success might suggest a new trend. Processed Cheese.

Patty Jankins said in an interview :
Cheesy is one of the words banned in my world. I'm tired of sincerity being something we have to be afraid of doing. It's been like that for 20 years, that the entertainment and art world has shied away from sincerity, real sincerity, because they feel they have to wink at the audience because that's what the kids like.
I agree. there is a place for these movies still .

Status
Not open for further replies.