• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2017
ok, what's the excuse for those other two Avengers movies then?

Age of Ultron riding on previous Avenegers high IW on 10 year build up.

Again the first time any of this was done.

What does Aquaman have going for it? He had pretty much the same amount of screen time in jL as Spider-man did in CW. Why hasn't Spider-Man the most famous superhero in the world grossed a billion yet?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Superman is still the most popular superhero in the world. They'll definitely want to get a new Superman movie up and running soon even if they're doing fine without him.

To reach the full box office potential of the DC brand, they need to fix Supes and Batman for sure. Batman v Superman doing $870m worldwide shows how much potential those 2 alone have because an Aquaman or Wonder Woman movie with that type of reception is probably putting up Solo type box office numbers.

That being said, a hypothetical JL2 without them can still be a megahit.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

What does Aquaman have going for it? He had pretty much the same amount of screen time in jL as Spider-man did in CW. Why hasn't Spider-Man the most famous superhero in the world grossed a billion yet?
This is just laughable oversimplification.

umbrella corp.

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2018
Went to see bumblebee with the kids today, wow, what a surprise, it was great!

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
People laughed at me when I said DC movies have a higher floor than Marvel movies and have a higher ceiling than MCU movies.

That'd be funny if was true, but I've been saying since GAF with no one laughing at me, so I find the statement suspect.

On the rest of this discussion, never forget, release context is a very important part of box office as well. When you release a film and what releases around it is pretty important. To wit, Black Panther 2 and Jumanji 3 are probably not making as much as they did before. Just an estimation.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Superman needs to be reinvented.

I remember watching Man of Steel and thinking to myself, "You know, this has some interesting ideas at play even if it's doing nothing with them, but why is this dude white?" That dude should've been brown. Hell, especially after BvS, all I'm thinking is this dude screams to me as Muslim dude stand-in. A lot of the ideas in those movies would make more sense with with that brown Superman for example, from him having identity issues down to the media fucking him over and criticizing every little thing he does. (Don't make the character Muslim obviously since that would be weird considering he's a fucking alien, but get a brown dude to act as him so the themes connect.) It would've been even better if they had done that and made him a boy scout like we expect. It could've made a unique and resonant story with some genuine human elements.

But ultimately he was white and those movies did little meaningful exploration of those ideas. And that's why those movies don't quite hit home with those themes being intentional, and all I can think is that potential I see has little to do with Snyder because it must've been a pure accident. His aim was obviously elsewhere with the Jesus parallels.

That well is poisoned now though so they need a new direction.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
A good Superman movie makes a billion, we don't need to reinvent the wheel. Zack Snyder and a rushed production tanked the movies

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
I see more Superman shirts than any other superhero. Not sure that makes him the most popular but it's not an assertion that should be laughed at. He's up there.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

If the sequels are riding off/building on the success of that first Avengers, then it's because people actually liked that movie beyond it just being the first of its kind. Movies don't gross $1-2 billion solely on the hype of their premise. That kind of box office means very strong word of mouth + repeat viewings. The hype of riding off previous movies gets you a strong opening weekend, it doesn't get you to a 1.3 or 1.5 or 2 billion box office.

The property is kind of diluted? There have been 6 Spider-Man movies, with three separate actors, in 15 years. And half of those movies were bad. The grosses had been trending downward under Sony for years (three bad movies in a row will do that to a franchise) and only recently rebounded under Marvel with Homecoming. Maybe Far From Home will hit a billion, who knows.

Last edited:

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I say WB go whole hog

Clark and Lois are married, he's comfortable as Superman and dealing with the responsibility of being a father to a super kid.

You ground him in a different way and can get your big battles

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
A good Superman movie makes a billion, we don't need to reinvent the wheel. Zack Snyder and a rushed production tanked the movies

MoS also had one of the worst release dates possible, 2 $200 million dollar movies launching the following week is no joke.

Speaking of Captain Marvel, Jordan Peele's Us coming out 1 week later has serious potential to take a bite out of that movie's legs.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't WB need to get something Superman related going in the next few years for rights reasons? Wasn't that a big issue with Man of Steel?

I guess that's what they have Supergirl for.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Are there expectations that Far From Home will benefit from Endgame? I always assumed that IM3 benefitted from being post-Avengers, but Avengers very much felt like a beginning whereas Endgame is quite clearly the end (obviously) which I would create a different dynamic.

And is there a general read on Captain Marvel buzz? It feels really mixed right which seems pretty bad considering what it's representing. I thought the trailers were pretrt bad but is still like a good movie.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Aqua man had a visual spectacle of a world

So does black panther

Even guardians has that

Infinity war does use those alien planets and wakanda

Maybe captian marvel should try and display the kree world as cool and intresting in advertising

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WB / DC already have the answer for what to do with Superman

It's called his run in Rebirth

Literally just put that on screen

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why they're showing off that "old lady in the bus" fight in the Captain Marvel trailer because that's the dumbest shit I've ever seen

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I say WB go whole hog

Clark and Lois are married, he's comfortable as Superman and dealing with the responsibility of being a father to a super kid.

I wouldn't do the kid yet. But firmly married is a good start and let the audience see his day-to-day.

MoS also had one of the worst release dates possible, 2 $200 million dollar movies launching the following week is no joke.

Speaking of Captain Marvel, Jordan Peele's Us coming out 1 week later has serious potential to take a bite out of that movie's legs.
This was part of Man of Steel's problem, also coming off Superman Returns and Superman 3/4.

Us is horror and probably rated R. There's not much around CM to mess with it until Shazam launches a month later.

Are there expectations that Far From Home will benefit from Endgame? I always assumed that IM3 benefitted from being post-Avengers, but Avengers very much felt like a beginning whereas Endgame is quite clearly the end (obviously) which I would create a different dynamic.

Spider-Man: Far From Home's problem is random stuff in its vague vicinity: MIB and Toy Story 4 before, The Lion King two weeks later. the first two might chip at different Spider-Man demos, depending on how they do, and The Lion King will suck all the air out of the room.

And is there a general read on Captain Marvel buzz? It feels really mixed right which seems pretty bad considering what it's representing. I thought the trailers were pretrt bad but is still like a good movie.

Buzz remains high:
Fans pick 'Avengers,' 'Captain Marvel' as 2019's most anticipated films in Fandango poll (USA Today/Fandango)
1. "Avengers: Endgame" (April 26)
2. "Captain Marvel" (March 8)
3. "Star Wars: Episode IX" (Dec. 20)
4. "Spider-Man: Far From Home" (July 5)
5. "Toy Story 4" (June 21)
6. "Glass" (Jan. 18)
7. "The Lion King" (July 19)
8. "Aladdin" (May 24)
9. "Dumbo" (March 29)
10. "Joker" (Oct. 4)

'Avengers: Endgame,' 'Captain Marvel' Rated By Atom Tickets As Most Anticipated 2019 Film Releases
  1. Avengers: Endgame
  2. Captain Marvel
  3. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  4. Toy Story 4
  5. The Lion King
  6. Star Wars: Episode IX
  7. Aladdin
  8. X-Men: Dark Phoenix
  9. Glass
  10. Jumanji Sequel
Now, these aren't perfect or anything. As an example, here's the same Fandango poll for 2018:

1. Avengers: Infinity War (May 4)
2. Black Panther (Feb. 16)
3. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (June 22)
4. Untitled Deadpool sequel (June 1)
5. Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 25)
6. Incredibles 2 (June 15)
7. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Nov. 16)
8. A Wrinkle in Time (March 9)
9. X-Men: Dark Phoenix (Nov. 2)
10. Ocean's 8 (June 8)

And the actual domestic charts for 2018:

Black Panther
Avengers: Infinity War
Incredibles 2
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Deadpool 2
Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (2018)
Mission: Impossible - Fallout
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Aquaman
Solo: A Star Wars Story

There's drift depending on how good the film is and audiences are bad at telling how they'll feel for movies later in the year, but it's at least somewhat indicative of audience interest. Which is to say, Captain Marvel has some heat from the general audience. It's Marvel, a known solid brand, and it's potentially getting heat from Avengers: Endgame (and oddly enough Wonder Woman in my estimation).

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Captain Marvel to do relatively well, but I think it will be more in the Ant-Man/Doctor Strange range than being another Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think it's probably going to be the lower grossing of the two Captain Marvel movies, because Shazam seems to have a lot more upside with it being a very tonally unique superhero movie that I think will really resonate with audiences.

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly doubted DC before because the last DC movies I really enjoyed were the Nolan trilogy. I even enjoyed TDKR. WW was the best one and that was Thor 1 level for me, which is okayish. Aquaman was Thor 2 IMO, just passable. BvS, JL, MoS, and especially SS all sucked. However, they all have done tremendously at the BO even with good competition as WW had and Aquaman has. Maybe DC does have better nostalgia and fanfare than Marvel afterall.

Since WB has deciphered the Chinese market, I am now expecting 1B WW from Shazam and Joker (350MM - 400MM domestic).

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Captain Marvel to do relatively well, but I think it will be more in the Ant-Man/Doctor Strange range than being another Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think it's probably going to be the lower grossing of the two Captain Marvel movies, because Shazam seems to have a lot more upside with it being a very tonally unique superhero movie that I think will really resonate with audiences.

This seems fair to me, though I have no idea what to make of Shazam. I know trailers aren't indicative of quality necessarily but the two trailers they've put out have me the most hesitant about a Marvel film's critical reception in forever.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Yeah every time a trailer pops up for Shazam in theaters the audience seems pretty into it. I have optimistic expectations.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
How many superhero movies have actually flopped in the last few years? Justice League and Fant4stic?

We've reached a point where if your superhero movie isn't a complete train wreck it's probably gonna do pretty well

Superheroes run Hollywood now, accept our new overlords

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I say WB go whole hog

WB / DC already have the answer for what to do with Superman

It's called his run in Rebirth

Literally just put that on screen

YES PLEASE

Get Damian ASAP too so we can have some Super Sons movies hnng

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many superhero movies have actually flopped in the last few years? Justice League and Fant4stic?

We've reached a point where if your superhero movie isn't a complete train wreck it's probably gonna do pretty well

Superheroes run Hollywood now, accept our new overlords
Though incredibly unlikely whatsoever, the day an MCU movie bombs hard would be a day long remembered in these parts.

I actually kinda hope that happens just for that internet massacre.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Though incredibly unlikely whatsoever, the day an MCU movie bombs hard would be a day long remembered in these parts.

When Marvel Studios finally gets that bomb / miss the entire Interwebs will be on fire

Look how desperately people were trying to make Ant-Man and the Wasp out to be one. There were articles all over the place about it. Or Homecoming, it didn't shake the idea it was a disappointment for a long time.

When Marvel Studios actually releases a movie that isn't profitable it will be a day that lives in infamy

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I honestly doubted DC before because the last DC movies I really enjoyed were the Nolan trilogy. I even enjoyed TDKR. WW was the best one and that was Thor 1 level for me, which is okayish. Aquaman was Thor 2 IMO, just passable. BvS, JL, MoS, and especially SS all sucked. However, they all have done tremendously at the BO even with good competition as WW had and Aquaman has. Maybe DC does have better nostalgia and fanfare than Marvel afterall.

Since WB has deciphered the Chinese market, I am now expecting 1B WW from Shazam and Joker (350MM - 400MM domestic).

I don't think that you can draw any conclusions from China.

And on that note, people are getting a little carried away. Outside of China, Aquaman is doing solid numbers, but not really anything outside of the norm for recent superhero films. I am not sure how we have gotten to the conclusion that DC has a higher ceiling than Marvel based on a film that is going to do similar or lower business than 6 of the past 8 MCU films, outside of one territory that has seen superhero films blow up this year for whatever reason.

Last edited:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

It'll happen eventually. No one hits 70+ percent all the time.

Solo was the preview of that moment. Imagine that, with the articles renamed.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll happen eventually. No one hits 70+ percent all the time.

Solo was the preview of that moment. Imagine that, with the articles renamed.

hawkeye-jeremy-renner-600x338.jpg

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It'll never happen cause Feige pays off the reviewers. My source was that YouTuber that y'all love talkin about.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
If anything, WW and Aquaman show they don't necessarily NEED Superman and Batman right now. If Shazam ends up being a big hit, WB can probably sideline Superman much longer than I would personally like.

Funny thing is the next time we see Superman in a movie, chances are he'll be a supporting role in Supergirl. A new Superman solo movie ain't happening soon.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I almost forgot that we're getting a Black Widow movie. Probably the least exciting comic book film in years for me.
The Black Widow movie should have come a somewhere in Phase 2 if they were gonna do it at all. The main reason people really wanted it was the lack of female superheroes and everyone was high off the hype of the first Avengers.

Now though? By the time it comes out, we'll have Captain Marvel, two Wonder Woman movies, and Birds of Prey so the female superhero angle is kind of gone as far as uniqueness. On top of that, they haven't done anything particularly interesting with Black Widow's character over the years that the prospect of a movie about her is all that enticing.

It could still be good, but yeah. Right now, it's just not something I'm interested in.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Winter Soldier was originally the Black Widow movie, but you know, Ike Perlmutter.

Wasn't The Incredible Hulk the MCU's first bomb or underperformance?

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Black widow was great in the 1st Avengers movie, I wanted a movie focused on her. But she wasn't as memorable in the later ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.