• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
cw4O5Kh.gif

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
There's not much of it, but I really liked the bond between Arthur and his dad, both performers sold that well.

Yeah Momo and Amber had zero chemistry, but that's the case with most comic flicks. WW has the best romantic tale in the genre, and I thought Chadwick and Lupita were both great together in BP.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
There's not much of it, but I really liked the bond between Arthur and his dad, both performers sold that well.

Yeah Momo and Amber had zero chemistry, but that's the case with most comic flicks. WW has the best romantic tale in the genre, and I thought Chadwick and Lupita were both great together in BP.
The movies take a lot of shit (and deservedly so), but Garfield and Stone were great together in the ASM movies. Though obviously, since they were actually together at the time...

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
like I said, haven't seen Aquaman yet and wasn't commenting on that movie specifically, just the general point of "it's a blockbuster, the acting and writing don't need to be anything good or special." To which my thought is, well, why not?

I agree with you. It's just I find digging at the acting all of a sudden seems like people looking for ways to run it down.

Don't get me wrong, I love a strong script and strong acting in an action movie, but when they are merely average I don't single that movie out for criticism on that front.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pre or post credits scene?

The last shot precredits scene is a pretty great, feel good, Raimi Spider-Man type ending shot.
Pre-credits.

On hindsight, the
Atlanna-Thomas subplot
was pretty sweet despite only making up like less than 10 percent of the movie. So that was a decent point to go out on I guess.

But I swear to god, this movie felt like a throwback to that post-Spiderman 2002 era of comic book movies.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The acting is fine in Aquaman. Not sure where this bizarre ass critique is coming from. It's no worse than any recent superhero movies. The only weak link from the main cast is Amber Heard, but that's about it. And you get plenty of performances like that in the recent MCU and DCEU movies in general. The only criticism would be there's no standout performance like Jackman in Logan or even Tom Hardy going balls to the wall in Venom, but that's rare anyway. It's a throwback adventure movie and pulls it off well.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

They did a fantastic job of selling the idea that they had been involved, sorta were and sorta weren't anymore, and that feelings were complicated. Acting and script both on point and came together seamlessly.

Aquaman/Mera on the other hand don't have *bad* chemistry, they just don't interact in a personal way. It doesn't seem forced so much as just completely overlooked by the movie and...

The kiss as the end wasn't really sold. They seemed more like friends/co-adventurers until that point.

Oct 28, 2017
The acting is fine in Aquaman. Not sure where this bizarre ass critique is coming from. It's no worse than any recent superhero movies. The only weak link from the main cast is Amber Heard, but that's about it. And you get plenty of performances like that in the recent MCU and DCEU movies in general. The only criticism would be there's no standout performance like Jackman in Logan or even Tom Hardy going balls to the wall in Venom, but that's rare anyway. It's a throwback adventure movie and pulls it off well.

I've noticed around here recently that anyone describing a new movie as "fun" or "fine" is the first indication that the movie isn't very good it's just that particular person enjoyed it for their own personal reasons, criticism be damned. Nothing wrong with liking a movie whilst also acknowledging problematic aspects :)

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The acting was alright, it's just that it was super cheesy comic book dialogue that folks confuse with bad acting. Amber though is a huge bore

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
2018 will have had 5 films hit $1B once Aquaman gets there. 4 of them superhero films.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
WB's all time list might end up being Deathly Hallows 2 > Aquaman > Dark Knight Rises. That's insane.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
I cant believe Aquaman might hit 1b but Wonder Woman didnt even get close... world is unfair

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So question is does WB convince Wan to do the sequel?

Hes a super in demand director so they are gonna have to pay him huge money

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So question is does WB convince Wan to do the sequel?

Hes a super in demand director so they are gonna have to pay him huge money

WB is just gonna keep adding zeroes until its worth his time.

But I think he'll get something like Nolan had with Batman. Given all the time he wants, can even work on projects they'll fund in-between to keep him happy. So if he wants to do Saw Returns and come back to Aquaman in 2022 they'll be fine.

I do wonder if they wanna wait that long. I know a lot has been made of their failures, but they've also been not as great at capitalizing on successes. We're going at least 4 years without a Suicide Squad sequel (though we get a Harley spin-off), and 3 years between Wonder Woman movies.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I cant believe Aquaman might hit 1b but Wonder Woman didnt even get close... world is unfair
People have to realise over half of Wonder Woman's grossing came domestically ($412M of $821M).

Internationally Wonder Woman did less than Homecoming, Ragnarok, Guardians Vol.2, Justice League and not much higher than Logan either last year. This year Infinity War, Black Panther, Venom, Deadpool 2, The Incredibles 2 and even Ant-Man and the Wasp made more overseas. Most of these aren't even close.

When all is said and done Aquaman's international total is going to be near double of Wonder Woman's.

Wonder Woman simply didn't capture audiences outside of North America. Personally I think the movie was good but overrated and very poor in parts too (e.g. final act). Can't say I'm surprised it didn't.

Oct 25, 2017
WB is just gonna keep adding zeroes until its worth his time.

But I think he'll get something like Nolan had with Batman. Given all the time he wants, can even work on projects they'll fund in-between to keep him happy. So if he wants to do Saw Returns and come back to Aquaman in 2022 they'll be fine.

I do wonder if they wanna wait that long. I know a lot has been made of their failures, but they've also been not as great at capitalizing on successes. We're going at least 4 years without a Suicide Squad sequel (though we get a Harley spin-off), and 3 years between Wonder Woman movies.

Aquaman would probably have a longer wait no matter what due to the massive amount of post. The first one wrapped filming like 16 months ago.

Nov 13, 2017
People have to realise over half of Wonder Woman's grossing came domestically ($412M of $821M).

Internationally Wonder Woman did less than Homecoming, Ragnarok, Guardians Vol.2, Justice League and not much higher than Logan either last year. This year Infinity War, Black Panther, Venom, Deadpool 2, The Incredibles 2 and even Ant-Man and the Wasp made more overseas. Most of these aren't even close.

When all is said and done Aquaman's international total is going to be near double of Wonder Woman's.

Wonder Woman simply didn't capture audiences outside of North America. Personally I think the movie was good but overrated and very poor in parts too (e.g. final act). Can't say I'm surprised it didn't.

Why am I not surprised.

24651.jpg

WW underperformed overseas because it didn't have the spectacle that many other superhero movies do. Overseas audiences love that.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Female led action films haven't grossed huge numbers overseas unless they have Star Wars or Hunger Games in the title. I don't see how you can say Wonder Woman's performance was anything but an unmitigated success.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Female led action films haven't grossed huge numbers overseas unless they have Star Wars or Hunger Games in the title. I don't see how you can say Wonder Woman's performance was anything but an unmitigated success.
Success or not, Captain Marvel will show the world the numbers an actual great female led superhero movie can do.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Success or not, Captain Marvel will show the world the numbers an actual great female led superhero movie can do.
Based on the trailers, I expect a relatively tepid response to that film, but we'll see.
It will do fine and be profitable of course, but I bet it will land somewhere in the Ant Man / Doctor Strange realm.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CM is the first Marvel film whose quality I'm worried about in a long time

Trailers look really rough imo. If it's good it will be huge but idk

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know when How to Train Your Dragon 3 reviews come out? The Australian release is tomorrow.

First two did incredibly well critically and at the box office so hoping they don't mess this one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.