• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people criticizing the acting and writing in Aquaman are kinda missing the point

I dont think anyone involved in that film were striving for super high brow quality. It's just trying to be big over the top action blockbuster and it wildly succeeds at that.

The acting and writing really just needs to be serviceable. The action and visuals are the draw

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

The way these movies jump on weekends/holidays and fall elsewhere make me think these two (Aquaman and Bumblebee) are playing more to a younger audience while Poppins (which has stronger holds during the week but smaller bumps on the weekend) is playing more to an adult audience.

That might be super obvious and I just sound like an idiot, though.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
The Last Jedi made another 81M past this Tuesday last year. Given the release slate, I think that Aquaman is more or less locked for 300M now. It will be interesting to see if it can leg it out past Deadpool 2 to steal 5th place for 2018 releases.

The way these movies jump on weekends/holidays and fall elsewhere make me think these two (Aquaman and Bumblebee) are playing more to a younger audience while Poppins (which has stronger holds during the week but smaller bumps on the weekend) is playing more to an adult audience.

That might be super obvious and I just sound like an idiot, though.

I think that Mary Poppins is mostly getting older adults and families. With the other two getting more of the 15-35 demo.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I think that Mary Poppins is mostly getting older adults and families. With the other two getting more of the 15-35 demo.

That's true. I failed to consider the older adult demographic who may be helping Poppins hold strong during the weeks (not that the other films aren't, just not as strong as Poppins).

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing Spider-Verse again tonight with a friend/maybe date. She hasn't seen it and when I said I could see it again she asked if I wanted to go.

Showtimes for Friday around me are interesting. Besides that Escape Room movie I only just heard of some theaters are dropping Mortal Engines and/or Marwen and bringing back Bohemian Rhapsody.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
The Last Jedi made another 81M past this Tuesday last year. Given the release slate, I think that Aquaman is more or less locked for 300M now. It will be interesting to see if it can leg it out past Deadpool 2 to steal 5th place for 2018 releases.

What's the update on Aquaman's numbers worldwide. Is it over 800million yet?

From what I've seen in China it looks like it might leg it to 300million over here as well and overtake TF4 for the fourth highest grossing import film.(and just behind Wants F&F7).

Oct 28, 2017
I think people criticizing the acting and writing in Aquaman are kinda missing the point

I dont think anyone involved in that film were striving for super high brow quality. It's just trying to be big over the top action blockbuster and it wildly succeeds at that.

The acting and writing really just needs to be serviceable. The action and visuals are the draw

Why should we give movies that aim low a pass?

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

What's the update on Aquaman's numbers worldwide. Is it over 800million yet?

From what I've seen in China it looks like it might leg it to 300million over here as well and overtake TF4 for the fourth highest grossing import film.(and just behind Wants F&F7).

Aquaman might be past TF4 in local currency. The Chinese Yuan is a bit weaker now than in 2014.

And I haven't seen a worldwide update for Aquaman, but it is for sure in the 800Ms

Mario Bilo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

Aquaman might be past TF4 in local currency. The Chinese Yuan is a bit weaker now than in 2014.

And I haven't seen a worldwide update for Aquaman, but it is for sure in the 800Ms

Yeah I was referring to local currency, should have that clearer. It's really impressive how Wan connects with the Chinese and other Asian audiences.

Thanks. So probably should be the highest grossing DCEU film by the end of this weekend right?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why should we give movies that aim low a pass?

Why not?

It's all about expectations. If your going into an Aquaman movie of all things expecting to be blown away by the riveting acting and in depth life lessons the characters go through I think it's kinda missing the point.

There is a difference between outright bad and serviceable. I dont rate anything in Aquaman as offensively bad. In fact I enjoy the acting in it. Its hammy, and all but thats kinda the point. The movie is just everyone involved having fun.

I'd rail on it if it wasnt clear this was the goal. If Aquman was trying to be this ultra self serious movie and this script is what came out I'd blast it. But it's not and what its trying to do it succeeds at.

It's not like this is the next Alfonso Cuarón film or something

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

That's nonsense.
The script sucks because the writers suck at writing. The movie's only as good as it is because Wan's direction elevated what he had to work with.
The acting was weak because the main actors are not very good actors. There's a lot of space between bad acting and super high brow acting.

Oct 25, 2017
That's nonsense.
The script sucks because the writers suck at writing. The movie's only as good as it is because Wan's direction elevated what he had to work with.
The acting was weak because the main actors are not very good actors. There's a lot of space between bad acting and super high brow acting.

fair, but people should stop using it as a way to question why the movie is doing so good. With Aquaman people are just looking for a good time and it's clear the acting/writing is serviceable for a lot of people.

Mario Bilo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Man I really hope Aquam gets over 1 billion. It would kinda show that there's more ways to do the super hero movie that Marvel's quips or Snyder's dark storytelling.

Also Aquaman being the highest origin movie after Black Panther is kind of incredible.

Oct 28, 2017
Why not?

It's all about expectations. If your going into an Aquaman movie of all things expecting to be blown away by the riveting acting and in depth life lessons the characters go through I think it's kinda missing the point.

There is a difference between outright bad and serviceable. I dont rate anything in Aquaman as offensively bad. In fact I enjoy the acting in it. Its hammy, and all but thats kinda the point. The movie is just everyone involved having fun.

I'd rail on it if it wasnt clear this was the goal. If Aquman was trying to be this ultra self serious movie and this script is what came out I'd blast it. But it's not and what its trying to do it succeeds at.

This reads like a straw man. Personally, I'm not looking for Shakespeare, or Oscar-caliber acting/writing but basic character development/growth, narrative cohesion, charismatic leads and real romanic chemistry between them. The Black Manta subplot is wedged into this movie in the most hamfisted way possible. How he was not cut from this movie is completely beyond me. He served no narrative purpose and just padded out the runtime. Also, the idea that we are supposed to feel any sympathy for him and his murderous father is laughable. Arthur not showing him mercy and this act serving as part of his growth was .... umm about as lazy a character arc I've seen in modern superhero movies. Mamoa is fine I guess but him and Amber Heard have no chemistry. Wooden as hell. Compare these two to Starlord and Gamora or Diana Prince and Steve Trevor? No contest.

What is it about Aquaman that makes the concept inherently more hammy than GotG or Spider-Man or Wonder Woman or Thor Ragnarok, even? Because he talks to fish? The movie wasn't "bad", it was decent but decent isn't really good enough these days when the genre has other high quality movies to offer.

You know what movie had spectacular visuals but delivered on solid storytelling basics? Avatar

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Why not?

I wasn't expecting Aquaman to be a sophisticated movie but I don't really see why it can't be a fun filled movie that also has substance. Many people praised Into The Spiderverse for doing just that and with better creatives at the helm, I believe Aquaman could've done just that as well.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fair, but people should stop using it as a way to question why the movie is doing so good. With Aquaman people are just looking for a good time and it's clear the acting/writing is serviceable for a lot of people.

This is the main issue

People are claiming the script and acting are outright bad. I dont agree with that

I think they both work for what the film is trying to be. This isn't a Transformers situation imo where the movie is trying to be a dumb summer action film but the actual writing and acting is trash tier as well.

Aquamans level of acting and writing work perfectly fine for what it is

Oct 25, 2017
This is the main issue

People are claiming the script and acting are outright bad. I dont agree with that

I think they both work for what the film is trying to be. This isn't a Transformers situation imo where the movie is trying to be a dumb summer action film but the actual writing and acting is trash tier as well.

Aquamans level of acting and writing work perfectly fine for what it is

yea. A lot of people I know who saw the movie admit the script/writing is the weakest link, but they still enjoyed it.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Man I really hope Aquam gets over 1 billion. It would kinda show that there's more ways to do the super hero movie that Marvel's quips or Snyder's dark storytelling.

Also Aquaman being the highest origin movie after Black Panther is kind of incredible.

Aquaman hitting a billion is nearly locked I think. It would need some terrible drops soon to miss it.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
I think there was zero chemistry between Mera and Aquaman and that feels wrong.
huh, I disagree... I mean super early on I think there was zero chemistry, but really... this whole Hollywood concept of love at first sight (or at least as soon as they meet in the movie) is contrived. she had zero interest in him physically/emotionally. He was a tool needed to save Atlantis. It was only after he started caring about the outcome of Atlantis that she started caring.. and the story was much better for it IMHO.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
huh, I disagree... I mean super early on I think there was zero chemistry, but really... this whole Hollywood concept of love at first sight (or at least as soon as they meet in the movie) is contrived. she had zero interest in him physically/emotionally. He was a tool needed to save Atlantis. It was only after he started caring about the outcome of Atlantis that she started caring.. and the story was much better for it IMHO.

Same here. The chemistry wasn't anything special, but it worked for what it was.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

I think that he means the performances themselves, which I agree with. The romantic story arc was fine/standard for these films, but Momoa and Heard didn't really sell it.

But people are coming for the crazy undersea stuff and human eye candy. Not believable romance.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Two characters having good chemistry doesn't necessarily mean they have love each other though. You could have two characters absolutely loath each other but if their interactions and the ways they bounce off each other are fun and engaging, they can be said to have good chemistry.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Yea lot of people are off on leave and out of school till next week so lot of folks going to the movies

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
In other hands, Aquaman wouldn't have been half the film.

I hope they give Wan a tighter script to adapt for the sequel.

The Geoff John's aquaman omni is on offer for £55 and I am very tempted.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Plenty of good blockbusters manage to have strong writing and acting, and plenty of shitty ones try to get by on this lame "it's about the action and visuals!" justification.

Note I haven't seen Aquaman yet, so I'm not calling it one of these shitty ones, but I don't know why fans of blockbuster movies try to undermine the movies they like by saying it's ok for them to get by with a lower bar. The "It's not Citizen Kane and it's not trying to be" defense drives me nuts. You don't need to deliver the greatest script of all time in each and every movie - obviously, there will only ever be one of those! - but there's no reason for a blockbuster movie to have, for example, really shitty sounding dialogue just because it's a blockbuster. Clearly many blockbusters have proven you can have your cake and eat it too when it comes to the fundamentals in a genre movie.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Did y'all show up to shit on Aquaman cause you realized it was gonna hit a billy or something cause this is weird

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I saw Aquaman, Mary Poppins, and Bumblebee all this weekend and they were all great. Of the three I think Aquaman was my favorite but I don't think I could pick three more different films for comparison.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did y'all show up to shit on Aquaman cause you realized it was gonna hit a billy or something cause this is weird

Agreed

I'm not trying to give it a pass on writing and acting. I'm saying the writing and acting arent near as bad as people are claiming they are. Yes its not super high bar but it's good enough for the movie

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird take, charisma seems to be something he has in spades. Acting ability maybe not so much.

I think the dude has the charisma of a tree trunk and Aquaman did nothing to change my opinion of that. He can pull off action scenes but him constantly being cast as the big lug or barbarian type of character is not surprising at all.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
That's nonsense.
I didn't find the acting bad in the least. What it was, was big, and broad. That's not bad acting, it's a stylistic choice, that made the movie super fun with flashes of 50s sci fi pulp, like a modern Flash Gordon. They were very good at playing the melodrama to the bleachers

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of good blockbusters manage to have strong writing and acting, and plenty of shitty ones try to get by on this lame "it's about the action and visuals!" justification.

Note I haven't seen Aquaman yet, so I'm not calling it one of these shitty ones, but I don't know why fans of blockbuster movies try to undermine the movies they like by saying it's ok for them to get by with a lower bar. The "It's not Citizen Kane and it's not trying to be" defense drives me nuts. You don't need to deliver the greatest script of all time in each and every movie - obviously, there will only ever be one of those! - but there's no reason for a blockbuster movie to have, for example, really shitty sounding dialogue just because it's a blockbuster. Clearly many blockbusters have proven you can have your cake and eat it too when it comes to the fundamentals in a genre movie.

The thing is, Aquaman has acting on par with most any action movie, including superhero movies. It's not trying to be Citizen Kane, but it's not Transformers (or insert your pick of badly acted action movie here) either. It's squarely middle of the road.

The script has a few issues, mostly of clarity of what they are aiming at and being a bit meandering in the middle, but it's not terrible either.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, Aquaman has acting on par with most any action movie, including superhero movies. It's not trying to be Citizen Kane, but it's not Transformers (or insert your pick of badly acted action movie here) either. It's squarely middle of the road.

The script has a few issues, mostly of clarity of what they are aiming at and being a bit meandering in the middle, but it's not terrible either.
like I said, haven't seen Aquaman yet and wasn't commenting on that movie specifically, just the general point of "it's a blockbuster, the acting and writing don't need to be anything good or special." To which my thought is, well, why not?

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Jason was fine, but him trying to sell any emotional bits just fell flat of his face.

Along with the romance with Mera.

Status
Not open for further replies.