• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's self-financing it just like Visit and Spilt. Dude's a gambler.

Blumhouse isnt helping at all?

Still not too much of a gamble imo. Split was a massive success and while Unbreakable was a long time ago it has a lot of good will towards it.

Glass if it reviews even decently should blow up imo. Happy for M Night hes really found his footing the last few years

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
They predict FFH will make 386.5MM, they just forgot to put it on the list.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...tive-pikachu-captain-marvel-spider-man-shazam

That list is ridiculous anyways. I doubt the majority of the movies on that link (not just the Top 10) hit close to what they are predicting. I can see FFH hitting 400MM though.

I know it's an old article, and how it reads but it's funny how gush over the potential performance of Captain Marvel but has to downplay Aquamn's success.... "but it still should fare decently, which, paired with the (supposed) success of Aquaman, could finally put the DCEU back on the right track "

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Blumhouse isnt helping at all?

Still not too much of a gamble imo. Split was a massive success and while Unbreakable was a long time ago it has a lot of good will towards it.

Glass if it reviews even decently should blow up imo. Happy for M Night hes really found his footing the last few years

Probably with the marketing?

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/m-night-shyamalan-glass-interview-771063/

Shyamalan tripled down for Glass, again funding it himself with his earnings from the past two movies, not to mention collateral from his property. One report has the budget at $20 million. "How stupid am I?" he says, smiling. "I'm going to Vegas and keep going, 'I won that hand. Put it all again.' Next hand, 'Put it all again.' My house right now is completely encumbered by this movie. . . . I'll be sleeping on your couch, dude, if it doesn't go well in January."

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Spiderverse should start outgrossing Bumblebee on a daily basis soon

Their numbers have already gotten so close

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

WOW

That's crazy hes going that all in. I honestly respect that a TON having so much faith in your work. Hope it goes well for him.

Still hes on a good enough run again that no matter what he will still be able to get work even if it doesnt have a huge run. Still considering Split did $278 million WW I'd be surprised if this grosses less than that. It seems to have far more hype leading into it than Split ever did

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's an old article, and how it reads but it's funny how gush over the potential performance of Captain Marvel but has to downplay Aquamn's success.... "but it still should fare decently, which, paired with the (supposed) success of Aquaman, could finally put the DCEU back on the right track "
giphy.gif

Y'all need to stop using Captain Marvel and Shazam interchangeably lol.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
WOW

That's crazy hes going that all in. I honestly respect that a TON having so much faith in your work. Hope it goes well for him.

Still hes on a good enough run again that no matter what he will still be able to get work even if it doesnt have a huge run. Still considering Split did $278 million WW I'd be surprised if this grosses less than that. It seems to have far more hype leading into it than Split ever did

I can't fathom a situation where he doesn't make money on this movie. Even The Visit wasn't loved and make 100M WW.

I'm sure the stars are getting points on this and worked for minimal fee. Just my guess.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't fathom a situation where he doesn't make money on this movie. Even The Visit wasn't loved and make 100M WW.

I'm sure the stars are getting points on this and worked for minimal fee. Just my guess.

Yeah I think this is a movie everyone involved really wanted to make. Sam, Bruce, and McAvoy all seem to really like playing these characters.

Wonder if M Night has more films in this Universe in his mind or if hes planning on this just being the end of the trilogy and no more

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think this is a movie everyone involved really wanted to make. Sam, Bruce, and McAvoy all seem to really like playing these characters.

Wonder if M Night has more films in this Universe in his mind or if hes planning on this just being the end of the trilogy and no more

Pretty sure he always said it's a trilogy and the last one. He has a production deal with Apple that he's working on a series as we speak.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Night's got nothing to worry about

Glass is going to own January

Yeah I think its going to do really well judging from the buzz it has. Only way it doesnt is if it reviews terribly which the trailers have been really good imo

Honestly the riskiest thing about this whole thing is calling it Glass imo. You have to essentially hope that general audiences will be made aware this is connected to Split and Unbreakable by going out and actively seeing the trailer. The title doesnt connect them at all

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think its going to do really well judging from the buzz it has. Only way it doesnt is if it reviews terribly which the trailers have been really good imo

Honestly the riskiest thing about this whole thing is calling it Glass imo. You have to essentially hope that general audiences will be made aware this is connected to Split and Unbreakable by going out and actively seeing the trailer. The title doesnt connect them at all

Split had zero connection and it made 40M first weekend.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Split had zero connection and it made 40M first weekend.

For sure but that was riding on the idea that it was a Thriller about a murderer with multiple personality. It was essentially just sold as a typical Blumhouse horror flick

The whole draw of Glass is it being essentially a super hero film. M Night is putting his faith in that audiences are smart enough to make the connection on their own without having to plaster something like Split 2 or Unbrekable 2 all over social media / marketing

Regardless I see Glass being a hit so I don't think it will be an issue in the end

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
But you're blurb is from the Shazam prediction lol. Ok I got confused because the actual Captian Marvel blurb has no digs against Aquaman, so I figured you were talking about Shazam.

Oh no I meant reading their Captain Marvel blurb (and their super generous prediction) vs reading their Shazam blurb and downplaying Aquaman's success was jarring.

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going to see Mermaidman tomorrow, a friend didnt want to go citing "Nobody wants to see this movie, its a bomb", LOL. Never thought i would be thrilled to see this movie.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
That IGN list basically over predicted everything except Detective Pikachu.

If the fucking Sonic movie finishes within 40m domestic of Detective Pikachu I'll eat a Pokemon plush.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I dont see Episode IX out grossing Endgame at all

Not even domestically

I am 100% confident Ep. IX takes the domestic crown. IW was only, what, $50m above TLJ domestically? I think Endgame won't go much higher than IW, but IX will be up fairly significantly over VIII.

Worldwide? It's Endgame.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am 100% confident Ep. IX takes the domestic crown. IW was only, what, $50m above TLJ domestically? I think Endgame won't go much higher than IW, but IX will be up fairly significantly over VIII.

Worldwide? It's Endgame.

Idk I guess we will have to see

The brand doesn't feel like it has all that much momentum to me anymore especially in comparison to the follow up to IW.

I'm sure it will be huge and I do think it will recover a bit from TLJ but I dont see IX out grossing Endgame

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand how very average movies such as Aquaman and Venom were so succesful while underappreciated movies such as Justice League or Solo unperformed. Is this good Marketing on one side and poor on the other one ?

Aquaman is a far, far better movie than Venom or Justice League.

Solo's underperformance still surprises me.

Status
Not open for further replies.