• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just checking in but it Bumbleebee gonna do well enough?

I'd hate to see the best Transformers film suck all the air out. Travis did a great job with both story and characters.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Just checking in but it Bumbleebee gonna do well enough?

I'd hate to see the best Transformers film suck all the air out. Travis did a great job with both story and characters.

It's at 93% at Rotten Tomatoes, according to Box Office Mojo it's $67 million against a $135 mill budget. Crossing my fingers we get a sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
prsgafv0dr721.png

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I really don't understand how very average movies such as Aquaman and Venom were so succesful while underappreciated movies such as Justice League or Solo unperformed. Is this good Marketing on one side and poor on the other one ?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Continuing the discussion about bohemian rhapsody it continues its insane run here in Australia. It rose 64% this week in its 9th week on the market. It was only 14K away from topping bumblebee to be the 3rd highest grossing movie this week.

It's currently 4th for the year and has a slim hands of topping black panther to take 3rd. Just an incredible run.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

What a dumb article. Reaching 1B isn't all that special anymore?

Okay...

Edit: In regards to the NYPOST article a few post above me. For whatever reason I can't quote it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spider-man deserves so much more.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Spidey(Parker), Thanos, Iron Man, Dr. Strange,Thor(I read the god butcher series that was amazing!), I like movie Cap.

Awesome - let me suggest:

Thanos Wins - by Cates. another 2 volume hit, this time with Thanos at the forefront

Dr Strange has a bunch of great book, but I love Dr Doom & Dr Strange: Torment & Triumph a lot

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like most studios paying attention already knows why Venom/Aquaman are doing so well its just dangerous to actively try and apply those lesson if you want a long lasting/healthy film franchise.

Why? I'm not getting what you're saying. Why shouldn't other studios try to apply the same marketing techniques that WB and Sony applied in China?

I really don't understand how very average movies such as Aquaman and Venom were so succesful while underappreciated movies such as Justice League or Solo unperformed. Is this good Marketing on one side and poor on the other one ?

JL and Solo had a lot going against it. Came after a very divisive movie (BvS and TLJ) plus timing of release, especially for Solo, was very poor. I do think IW, Deadpool 2, and Solo took a bit out of each other and would have been more successful if they were all more spread out. Obviously Solo affected the most there.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So what's causing Aquaman to our perform Wonder Woman? I'm sure we can all agree that WW is without a doubt the best (quality wise) DCU film, and the character is far bigger. Release window I'm guessing.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So what's causing Aquaman to our perform Wonder Woman? I'm sure we can all agree that WW is without a doubt the best (quality wise) DCU film, and the character is far bigger. Release window I'm guessing.
Not even sure I would say that. Aquaman handles characters better, has a superior story (at least to me) and has a final act which doesn't suck ass and isn't completely disjointed from the rest of the film.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Not even sure I would say that. Aquaman handles characters better, has a superior story (at least to me) and has a final act which doesn't suck ass and isn't completely disjointed from the rest of the film.
Ok come on, like I enjoyed the film and all, but it was pretty dumb. It was fun, but also dumb.

How is a December release window better than a summer one?

Wasn't Wonder Woman's opening a few weeks before Homecoming's? Too many close blockbusters can eat away at each other. Aquaman doesn't seem to have that problem this year.

Edit: ok it was more like a month. But June also hade Despicable Me 3 and a few others open as well.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It's a visual spectacle. It's 2018's Avatar or Star Wars. WW, great as it is, is a more subdued, solemn movie.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
In America and the english-speaking sphere? Sure.
Outside of that, they're all starting from scratch for the most part. Especially in China.
Same thing happened with Guardians of the Galaxy.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

The main difference is China. Aquaman is going to make close to $200M more there. If you take out China they're basically the same with WW doing better in the US and Aquaman internationally.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Ok come on, like I enjoyed the film and all, but it was pretty dumb. It was fun, but also dumb.

Wasn't Wonder Woman's opening a few weeks before Homecoming's? Too many close blockbusters can eat away at each other. Aquaman doesn't seem to have that problem this year.

Edit: ok it was more like a month. But June also hade Despicable Me 3 and a few others open as well.
Aquaman was up against Spiderverse, Bumblebee and Mary Poppins.
The main difference is China. Aquaman is going to make close to $200M more there. If you take out China they're basically the same with WW doing better in the US and Aquaman internationally.
Close to 300 million in China

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I liked Aquaman more than WW

The action and visuals were incredible and I really enjoyed the characters. It was a really fun movie to go to the theaters for. It's one of those films "made for the big screen"

But still enjoyed WW a lot but Aquabro is the best DCU film for me

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing Aquaman in 2 hours. Theater is just about sold out already.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
IGN (I know, not an authority on movies) released their predictions for Domestic 2019. Damn, Disney.

Projected 2018 Domestic Box Office Top 10
  • 1. Star Wars: Episode IX - $886.2 million
  • 2. Avengers: Endgame - $824.7 million
  • 3. Toy Story 4 - $658.2 million
  • 4. Captain Marvel - $627.5 million
  • 5. Frozen 2 - $548.7 million
  • 6. The Lion King $438.9 million
  • 7. Jumanji Sequel - $386.3 million
  • 8. IT Chapter 2 - $356.8 million
  • 9. Godzilla: King of Monsters - $318.4 million
  • 10. Hobbs & Shaw: $306.2 million

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
IGN (I know, not an authority on movies) released their predictions for Domestic 2019. Damn, Disney.

Half of these are beyond ridiculous. Even in a hypothetical world where these movies turn out to be amazing with no competition, they wouldn't reach these numbers.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman was up against Spiderverse, Bumblebee and Mary Poppins.

Close to 300 million in China
None of those were competition at the end of the day. I know people thought Mary Poppins at least would make it a tough race, but that didn't happen.

I liked Aquaman more than WW

The action and visuals were incredible and I really enjoyed the characters. It was a really fun movie to go to the theaters for. It's one of those films "made for the big screen"

But still enjoyed WW a lot but Aquabro is the best DCU film for me

I really liked it as well. As I said, it was fun and nothing too heavy. I'm really happy for Momoa, and I think with this film he becomes the GoT alumni with the single biggest film (that they were a lead in). Days of Future Past was bigger than Justice League, so Peter should have that distinction till now.

Right China. Dammit I forgot about China. But then that begs the question why Aquaman and Venom did so well there in comparison to every other comic book film besides one.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

I wanna know what magic math they are using to get that number for Captain Marvel.

Oct 27, 2017

Some of those numbers are wild. CM is not getting anywhere close to that and neither is TS4. A:E is probably gonna end up slightly above Infinity War.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

They think the Homecoming sequel will make less than the first film?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Love to do their math on getting to this. 2014 Godzilla barely cracked 200M.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

What is the link for this article?