• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
I still enjoy the first Transformers to this day - it's what brought me to love the franchise in the first place. I knew of Transformers, but man seeing TF1 at the movie theater as a kid, pure spectacle, solid Bay movie, one of this bests.

Dec 12, 2017
Remember the subplot about Shia's dog being high on painkillers?

Remember the Nokia phone, Xbox 360 and Mountain Drew machine that get turned into Decepticons?

Remember when Michael Bay turned the last act of the film into an incomprehensible military wankfest?

Bumblebee is clearly the best since that first one where Shia's character was an unlikeable, irredeemed douchebag...and he was the one we we were supposed to root for.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Remember when Michael Bay turned the last act of the film into an incomprehensible military wankfest?

Bumblebee is clearly the best since that first one where Shia's character was an unlikeable, irredeemed douchebag...and he was the one we we were supposed to root for.
I remember over the course of the summer, that movie was hyped up to me by my peers in a not-dissimilar way to how The Dark Knight would be the next year so I had pretty high expectations going in and I hated it so much and was pretty much the only person in my school to have that opinion. I hated it so much that I never saw another one.

I really liked Bumblebee. It's not just the only watchable Transformers movie, it's also really good on its own.

Dec 12, 2017
I remember over the course of the summer, that movie was hyped up to me by my peers in a not-dissimilar way to how The Dark Knight would be the next year so I had pretty high expectations going in and I hated it so much and was pretty much the only person in my school to have that opinion. I hated it so much, I never saw another one.

And I really liked Bumblebee.

You were on the right side of history.

I, unfortunately, gave the second one a chance, hoping things would improve. When I saw the shucking and jiving duo and ultimately the scene with Devastator's balls clanging together, I was out and never returned to the franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
Mr. Robot launched the fuck out of Rami Malek's career. I wonder if he's ready to become a full on wanted celebrity.

Also, Atlanta's definitely the best career launcher on TV rn. Brian Tyree Henry has had a hell of a versatile year.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Remember when Rami Malek was the sidekick in Need For Speed and got naked in an office for some reason

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
Bumblebee seems to be what Spielberg had in mind for TF1, just executed differently

Yup, I watched the DVD extras of TF1 and Spielberg mentioned that he wanted to explore the relationship between a boy and his car... TF1 did just that but Michael Bay style hahaha - Bumblebee is closer to what he envisioned it seems.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i feel like most of the big "franchise" films i like are always hits, so it's weird to see bumblebee and siderverse and really want them to do well

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
+11% for Spider-Verse! It would be really damn exciting if the overwhelmingly positive word of mouth can give it substantial legs.

Glad to see Aquaman doing so well, too. I'm here for DC's brand shifting to "earnesty."

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Aquaman's second weekend was within 1% of The Last Jedi's third weekend domestically (which was the corresponding weekend last year).

TLJ made about $103M more, so Aquaman needs slightly better legs in January to break 300M domestic.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman's second weekend was within 1% of The Last Jedi's third weekend domestically (which was the corresponding weekend last year).

TLJ made about $103M more, so Aquaman needs slightly better legs in January to break 300M domestic.

TLJ had poor January legs so that sounds entirely doable.

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
tbh I think comic book nerds have a much lower opinion of Aquaman than the general public does (which is to say, they have little to no preconception of Aquaman at all). The whole corny, talks-to-fish, Superfriends caricature is not a version of the character that anyone knows or even remembers outside of comic book circles. So while I prob would not have guessed Aquaman doing a billion, I don't see him as this crazy hard sell for the general moviegoing public either. Clearly audiences are pretty all in on superhero movies now.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah looking at the updated domestic and international numbers for the weekend I'm pretty certain Aquaman is going to hit 1 Billion. It would have to collapse out of nowhere compared to how its holding for it to not hit it

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine how much money Wan is going to be able to demand for the Aquaman sequel?

He is so successful and in demand though he could entirely pass up doing the 2nd one and do something else if he feels like it. I hope to God he doesnt though.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
tbh I think comic book nerds have a much lower opinion of Aquaman than the general public does (which is to say, they have little to no preconception of Aquaman at all). The whole corny, talks-to-fish, Superfriends caricature is not a version of the character that anyone knows or even remembers outside of comic book circles. So while I prob would not have guessed Aquaman doing a billion, I don't see him as this crazy hard sell for the general moviegoing public either. Clearly audiences are pretty all in on superhero movies now.
Yup.

Aquaman has been featured in tons of media since Superfriends and he's always portrayed as a worthwhile and competent superhero. His Brave and the Bold incarnation is the closest he gets to being a joke again, and even there, it's because he's basically a giant kid and not because he's useless or dumb. No one is still thinking about a cartoon from the 80s when it comes to him or any other character.

Comic nerds tend to project their feelings on to the general public when it comes to these movies. The public will go see any superhero movie so long as it's good.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody about to get its second wind with Karaoke showings as well. Not sure if that's only a UK thing

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
Good to see that we didn't lose you with the burial of the Divergent series. Welcome back!
Thanks bud :) Had to take a step back and do a proper burial for the Divergent Series - it needed all my attention!

RT fresh ever helped a movie?
It certainly can't hurt it! Like I said in my previous post, if it can get to $400M+ WW, which it should, Paramount would view this as a success and should easily have the leeway available to greenlight Prime!

Status
Not open for further replies.