• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
So I actually didn't watch that many movies that I found to be great from 2018 (I have a shitton not watched, too). So here is a list of movies that I have seen for the first time in 2018, ranked.

10. Phantom Thread
9. Ran
8. The Wailing
7. IT (2017)
6. I, Tonya
5. The Shape of Water
4. Monthy Python and the Holy Grail
3. Hereditary
2. Annihilation
1. Roma

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i am really rooting for Spiderverse. just got out of a showing and my friends & i all wanted more. fingers crossed we get that miles/gwen romcom!

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Are we really saying Joker is gonna bomb in a thread that tells us that fucking AQUAMAN is on the way to a billion?

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way Joker will fail. The only thing people like more than comic book movies are comic book movies with prestige pedigrees.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
International numbers + breakdowns are slow today, so via Deadline:
SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE
Sony's latest Spidey snared another $27.4M overseas this weekend on 22K screens in 60 markets. The offshore cume swung past $100M for $109.6M with Brazil and Japan (a big webslinger hub) still on deck.
Mexico was new this weekend for a No. 2 start behind Aquaman with $4.7M. Other notable openings include Italy ($2.1M), Poland ($930K, with previews) and Central America ($790K).
The 2nd China frame added $8.5M in a crowded market to cume $45.4M so far. Elsewhere, the holiday holdovers were strong including upticks in Finland (+79%), the Netherlands (+51%), Belgium (+48%), Colombia (+41%), France (+35%), Germany (+31%) and the UK (+1%). Spain dipped 8% and Australia was off 29%

BUMBLEBEE
Putting $45.7M in the tank in 55 markets, Paramount's Bumblebee has now cumed $90M overseas. There were 17 openings this session to take the offshore footprint to 59% ahead of the China release this coming Friday and Japan on March 22.
Korea was the best start with $7.8M (including previews) from 839 locations and at No. 2 with Aquaman and local title Take Point also in the competitive mix (plus the seemingly endless holdover of Bohemian Rhapsody). The UK bowed at No. 2 behind Mary Poppins Returns with $6.3M from 584. France was a No. 3 start with $4.1M at 552, likewise Brazil opened in 3rd with $3M from 585.
In Asia, where Bumblebee is seeing uptake, Taiwan was a No. 1 start with $2M at 99. Hong Kong opened No. 2 for $1.5M at 51. In the 2nd frame, Indonesia added $2.6M at No. 1 for a $9.2M cume. Malaysia has cumed $5.2M, at No. 1 again, after two weekends. Singapore is also No. 1 for the second time, totaling $2.7M so far.
Spain was a soft open at No. 6 with $736K from 320 cinemas. Germany was at No. 6 in the 2nd session, but up 27% on last week's start to cume $4.6M to date. The Netherlands was also up (+28%) for a $1.1M cume.

AQUAMAN
At No. 1 again, Warner Bros/DC's Aquamanhas now grossed $560M internationally and $748.8M worldwide. That's after a 4th overseas frame that hooked $85.4M on roughly 23,425 screens in 78 markets for a 28% drop from last session.
In Europe, Aquaman ruled the region again, tracking 48% above Justice League and 64% over Wonder Woman. Outside China, Aquaman reps the biggest WB film in Asia this year, the 2nd biggest for the DC Universe and the 3rd WB title ever. Also ranking No. 1 in Latin America, the Jason Momoa-starrer is ahead of Wonder Woman by 13%.

MARY POPPINS RETURNS
Disney's sequel rose by 11% in Europe, taking advantage of the holidays and led by the UK with a $29.6M cume. Overall, the weekend brought in $28.9M from 37 markets for a $74.4M overseas cume and $173.3M globally.

The UK and Italy gave Mary the No. 1 slots again. In the UK, she's got 39% market share (triple the nearest competitor)
Elsewhere, MPR saw great holds: Poland (+161%), Netherlands (+76%), France (+55%), Switzerland (+28%), Belgium (+25%), Austria (+24%), Germany (+41%) and Spain (-14%). The second Brazil weekend fell by 20% after a slow start last frame. Below the UK and Italy, France ($6.2M), Germany ($5.7M) and Spain ($5.1M) round out the Top 5.
Next up are notably Australia and Russia in the coming week, followed by Japan on February 1 and Korea on February 14.

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
Fox's Freddie Mercury biopic shot up by 15% this session, taking the cume to $513.3M overseas and across the seven century mark to $702Mglobal. And again, this is without China. The strong legs on this crowd-pleaser added $17M during the frame.
Holds have been astonishing, particularly in Korea and Japan which are now the Nos. 1 and 2 markets. In Japan, Bo Rhap was down just 2% to cume $63.9M after eight weekends. Korea fell 21% for a total to date of $70M. The movie is now the No. 6 MPA title ever in the market.
The UK has now grossed $61.2M and spiked upwards by 56% this session. Hollandis up a wild 90% to reclaim the top spot and $14.5M so far. Bo Rhap is the No. 1 movie of the year in the market.
Overall, the Rami Malek-starrer is Fox International's 7th highest grossing title of all time and will soon eclipse X-Men Days Of Future Past to land in 6th position.

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD
Warner Bros' Harry Potter spinoff sequel saw a 5% increase thanks to the holiday spell, adding $8.2M overseas for a $470.9M offshore cume and $627.6Mworldwide. Across 58 markets in release, the best performer was Japan with a slip of just 8% for $49.8M to date. Germany's 7th session was up 31% with a cume of $40.6M through today. France also spiked (+35%) and has totaled $32.7M. The UKsaw a slight boost (+2%) for a $41.5M cume.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too bad the rest of the world doesn't care. China is getting close to 45% of the entire international take. Only Brazil and Japan are left to open from the major territories.

Keeping in mind all my comments for it are within the context of 400m = good. Expectations that seemed commonly held prior to release! Seeing it come in with an even more lopsided spread than LEGO movies will be pretty funny if it comes to pass.

I don't know about other countries not caring per say. The arguement can be made successfully, but it has held well in many markets with meager openings all the same.

Mexico was new this weekend for a No. 2 start behind Aquaman with $4.7M. Other notable openings include Italy ($2.1M), Poland ($930K, with previews) and Central America ($790K).
The 2nd China frame added $8.5M in a crowded market to cume $45.4M so far. Elsewhere, the holiday holdovers were strong including upticks in Finland (+79%), the Netherlands (+51%), Belgium (+48%), Colombia (+41%), France (+35%), Germany (+31%) and the UK (+1%). Spain dipped 8% and Australia was off 29%

—Deadline

Given that Spider-Man is pretty big in Japan (Homecoming grossing only 8m ish less than Infinity Wars 33m ish). It will be interesting to see if the animated quality of Spider-verse helps or hinders it in a market with distinctive mainstream acceptance of (hand drawn) animation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Keeping in mind all my comments for it are within the context of 400m = good. Expectations that seemed commonly held prior to release! Seeing it come in with an even more lopsided spread than LEGO movies will be pretty funny if it comes to pass.

I don't know about other countries not caring per say. The arguement can be made successfully, but it has held well in many markets with meager openings all the same.

Given that Spider-Man is pretty big in Japan (grossing only 8m ish less than Infinity Wars 33m ish). It will be interesting to see if the animated quality of Spider-verse helps or hinders it in a market with distinctive mainstream acceptance of (hand drawn) animation.

Unless Japan is pretty huge, I don't see 400M as being particularly likely. Most territories are going to come back to earth soon with the holidays wrapping up this week. China is mostly done as well.

400M is going to require at least 225M internationally. Maybe closer to 250M.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Spiderman today. Was really good! But I can understand why it's not getting the family audience, there was some heavy shit in this movie that's probably a bit too much for the kids.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Bumblebee doesn't stick in China Aquaman can cross 300m in China. 280m is locked.

Unless Japan is pretty huge, I don't see 400M as being particularly likely. Most territories are going to come back to earth soon with the holidays wrapping up this week. China is mostly done as well.

400M is going to require at least 225M internationally. Maybe closer to 250M.

No chance that China is pretty much done for SV. Only in terms of time, not remaining gross against existing. Showing signs of gathered strength since Wednesday.

Projected to be strong on Monday (31st) with the 31st and Jan 1st typically being as big as one another. Tuesday will be no slouch either, it may not be a national holiday, but it is a common local holiday.

SV is getting good WOM among holiday crowds with better bump than Aquaman and very strong PTA on a near equal ATP to Aquaman, and Worm Valley. A Long Days Journey is going to crash after Dec 31st. It's getting savage WOM.

Sunday Estimates

Kill Mobile - 86.3M / 168.5M,+35%
AQM - 43.2M / 1798M,+131%
Mo Jin the Worm Valley - 34.1M / 98.74M, -47%
Spider-Verse - 33.7M / 314M, +142%
The Morning After - 11.65M / 33.85M, -48%
Thugs - 11.1M /32.44M _+3%

This combination ensures good remaining take over existing gross before BB on Jan 4th (which may or may not stick).

I might launch align SV INT markets to LEGO and LEGO Batman later so that we can get a better look at things. I will probably wait for the rest of the markets to open.

Last edited:

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
It was a different time, one popular movie can completely change public opinion of a character.
I don't even know if it's completely changing public perception of the character. I submit that Aquaman has been more popular than we gave him credit for, for a while now.

For example, if a kid is like aged 8 - 13, where have they seen Aquaman? Cartoons like Young Justice or Brave and the Bold, games like Injustice, or recent books and comics. In other words, media where he's always portrayed as a competent and worthwhile character.

The character has always had his fans in the comics. His more recent runs have gotten great reviews.

Then there are people who didn't have an opinion of the character before this movie at all. At this point, I think it's probably fair to say a lot of people seeing this movie were only vaguely aware of who Aquaman is. We think of him as this widespread joke, but truthfully, he's only really a joke to nerds who follow this stuff or people who remember Superfriends. A lot of people are seeing this movie or being exposed to the character without that baggage.

In short, DC's long plan to rehabilitate Aquaman worked.

Last edited:

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah even aquaman being seen as a joke by some keeps him well known

Like hypothetically if there was a succesful quality western dragon ball movie franchise that already exist and for some reason they made a yamcha movie it do comparatively well

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mary Poppins seems like a tough sell to me outside of the Anglosphere. Is there much of any nostalgia for the original in non-English speaking markets?
Motherfucking yes! Can't speak for everyone but I sure as hell can tell you it was a hit in Mexico and people here love that film. It wasn't the hit it was in the US but it's a well known and loved movie. My dad was there when it came out when he was a kid and he tells how excited he was when it came out.

This sequel isn't as big as it should've been because it's mediocre, not because of the lack of popularity if the IP.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even know if it's completely changing public perception of the character. I submit that Aquaman has been more popular than we gave him credit for, for a while now.

For example, if a kid is like aged 8 - 13, where have they seen Aquaman? Cartoons like Young Justice or Brave and the Bold, games like Injustice, or recent books and comics. In other words, media where he's always portrayed as a competent and worthwhile character.

The character has always had his fans in the comics. His more recent runs have gotten great reviews.

Then there are people who didn't have an opinion of the character before this movie at all. At this point, I think it's probably fair to say a lot of people seeing this movie were only vaguely aware of who Aquaman is. We think of him as this widespread joke, but truthfully, he's only really a joke to nerds who follow this stuff or people who remember Superfriends. A lot of people are seeing this movie or being exposed to the character without that baggage.

I short, DC's long plan to rehabilitate Aquaman worked.

What's funny is how in pop culture, Namor is seen as the joke character next to Aquaman.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
What's funny is how in pop culture, Namor is seen as the joke character next to Aquaman.
Power of familiarity.

It'll be interesting to see what Marvel does whenever they get to pull the trigger on Namor. Comparisons to Aquaman were always going to be an issue, but especially so now. Doesn't help that Namor is kind of a dickhead of a character, and not in the lovable way Tony Stark is.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised as everyone about Bohemian Rhapsody. Did it just open a lot of places recently, or has this been a steady thing?

Hinkypunk

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
$346 per theatre for Mortal Engines. Gawd. Damn.

They probably sell $346 worth of popcorn in a single Aquaman showing. lol.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
aquaman.gif

I'm happy for aquaman success. Really enjoyed it.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Namor should be the antagonist in the first MCU F4 movie. That would be a great intro for him. They can slowly build up Doctor Doom in the background, no need to rush.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
don't underestimate the marketing of Aquaman. I didn't think of it as anything special. but the kids loved it as they went out of their way to make it seem like fun adventure. lots of colours and special fx

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Saw bumblebee today, theatre was empty, but damn does this movie deserve more money. Best live action transformers movie since the first one and if it had the luxury of being the first released it would be the best. So damn good.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My opinion:

Spider verse can maybe hit 80m (not quite doubling its current take of 45m in China).

65-70m most likely end range. So another 20-25m (an addition of 44.45 — 55.56% of current gross)

Incredibles 2 was the top grossing Hollywood cartoon of the year in China, but Spider-verse will be the 2018 record holder soon.

280m locked for Aquaman in China, 300m possible.

Last edited:

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
I was just looking up comparable films to Spider-Verse and Jesus, Big Hero 6 made $657m.

LEGO Batman only made a paltry $311m.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
Yay, the foreign update is good for Bee

It does indeed, but I think it'll do fine in the end - I can see it grossing north of $400M WW and given the poor reception of the previous film, that's quite spectacular. It's a soft reboot of sorts, and hopefully the next spin-off, which is rumoured to be Prime, will build on the foundation that Bumblebee left - and I'm praying Travis Knight remains involved with the franchise in some capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.