• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

yOUqNZ3.png

gafaydr.png

T9tEVH8.png

IgLKO1G.png

hF4PTuW.png

'Aquaman' Heading For $200M+; 'Mary Poppins Returns' Flying To $100M+

Warner Bros. is calling the pre-New Year's weekend of Aquaman at $51.5M, -24%, for a 10-day running of $188.8M that's 10% ahead of Justice League at the same point in time (which ended its run at $229M), 24% ahead of the ten-day cume of Doctor Strange (final B.O. $232.6M) and 7% ahead of Guardians of the Galaxy (final B.O. $333.1M). The DC superhero is expected to hit $200M by EOD tomorrow, and $210M by New Year's Day at the domestic B.O. Unlike Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve day isn't a downer day at the B.O.; some people include the movies as part of their year-end festivities.

The DC's fish man hit $748.8M WW, eclipsing the entire global life of Justice League ($657.9M) and Marvel's Doctor Strange ($677.7M). Yes, it's true: Warners has resuscitated DC. Aquaman propels Warner Bros. worldwide for 2018 past $5.3 billion.

On Screen Engine/ComScore's PostTrak, which continues to poll into a film's second weekend, found that women over 25 at 21% are still Jason Momoa's biggest fans, giving Aquaman its best gender score of 84%. Moms are out-numbering dads in attendance, 52% to 48%, and they're smitten with this DC superhero by a wide gap, 82% to 60%. Families are repping close to a third of the crowd, and guys under 25 make-up the biggest portion of moviegoers at 31%.

Industry sources do not consider Disney's $130M musical sequel Mary Poppins Returns, a homerun, rather a double for the studio of franchise hits (the Burbank lot set an industry record this year at the domestic B.O. with $3 billion-plus). The female-skewing musical is filing an estimated $28M which is one of the few films in the top 10 to big huge big gains weekend-over-weekend with +19%. Rivals snipe that the Poppins package is too British, too Caucasian in its draw (on PostTrak, that demo reps 70% of the general audience), and that there was a missed opportunity here by not having Hamilton Tony and Grammy winner Lin-Manuel Miranda pen the songs.

But despite all this nay say, it's a musical, which means it's a sleeper, and Poppins with a $98.9M running cume remains 102% ahead of The Greatest Showman's $49M at the same point in time. Poppins will easily cross $100M by tomorrow in its 13th day.

Paramount's Bumblebee is now in a fight with Sony's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse for 3rd place, each respectively grossing $20.5M and $19.3M (updating). Rivals say that a film like Bumblebee, which has a great 4 1/2 stars among general audiences on PostTrak and fantastic reviews with a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, should be elsewhere on the calendar, especially if Paramount was trying to revamp this brand. The VW bug is being stalled by too much fanboy clutter and needs to breath. Bumblebee should be able to drive past $100M-plus, but the bigger question is whether he makes more than the last Transformers movie, The Last Knight, which is the lowest-grossing at the domestic B.O. with $130.1M. Bumblebee through 10 days should total $66.8M, which, versus the first 10 days of Last Knight, is 26% behind. But remember, with Transformers movies, it's all about China in the end. Spider-Verse, meanwhile, is expected to hit $104.6M.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Aquaman - $749M
Bohemian Rhapsody - $703M
Fantastic Beasts 2 - $627M
The Grinch - $469M
Ralph Breaks the Internet - $350M
Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse - $213M
Mary Poppins Returns - $173M
Nutcracker and the Four Realms - $166M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Next week I might go to the theaters but I don't know what to watch, Spidey or Aqua.
Swinging towards the former.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I know it has a few more markets to open, but doesn't seem like Mary Poppins has rebounded the same way internationally as she did State side or is that a mischaracterization of the global number?

Oct 25, 2017
I know it has a few more markets to open, but doesn't seem like Mary Poppins has rebounded the same way internationally as she did State side or is that a mischaracterization of the global number?

Mary Poppins seems like a tough sell to me outside of the Anglosphere. Is there much of any nostalgia for the original in non-English speaking markets?

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I personally LOVED Aquaman. I went in with zero expectations, didn't watch a single trailer and went out feeling like it was the best DC movie we've had yet.
Happy to see its success.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Mary Poppins seems like a tough sell to me outside of the Anglosphere. Is there much of any nostalgia for the original in non-English speaking markets?

Pretty much this. No one outside of the UK really cares about Mary Poppins overseas out of the territories it has opened in. However, it still has Australia left to open in, and Japan is pretty big on musicals. It should pass $150M internationally, and if Japan breaks out, $200M is possible. Mary Poppins has grossed about $54M in the past week. Combined with domestic, I'd guess a $350-400M worldwide finish. Maybe a bit higher if legs are really good.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

EDIT: too slow this time! I added it to the OP first because I was hoping to avoid a double post.

less

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Holmes and Watson. Also, Simmba is showing up in this list?! I probably haven't been paying attention much before but am surprised to see a Bollywood film up there.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Did Bumblebee bomba? Seems bad domestically at least.

It isn't burning up the charts like Paramount wanted but it isn't a disaster. If it manages to put up respectable numbers in the coming weeks it could do well depending on how receptive China is of when it opens up there. It still won't be a big hit but a small profit is reasonable.

Big Bollywood releases show up often in the top 20.

Yeah, given how much money big Bollywood films make and the general numbers towards the bottom of the list that should be obvious. Just never paid attention before.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Not a good week for new releases on the whole.

Vice cost $60M which was way too much even before we got these middling returns.
The less said about Holmes and Watson the better.
On the Basis of Sex, Destroyer and Stan & Ollie opened on the softer side but still fine.
I really hoped Beale Street would crack a million but it fell well short of that.

Now it all depends on how things leg out.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
WB hit it out of the park this time. Hard to believe how much release period and competition (or lack of) determine a film's financial future, regardless of its execution. That, and China's ever-growing presence, which this year was essential, for films like this or Venom.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
With Fantastic Beasts' weekend take it enters Top 10 for the year

Which makes it

1. Infinity War
2. Black Panther
3. The Fallen Kingdom
4. The Incredibles 2
5. Venom
6. Mission Impossible Fallout
7. Aquaman
8. Deadpool 2
9. Bohemian Rhapsody
10. Fantastic Beasts 2

I think that's how it stands now

Dec 12, 2017

So even a shitty FB movie can still roll ~$650M when all is said and done.
Wow.

Which makes it

1. Infinity War
2. Black Panther
3. The Fallen Kingdom
4. The Incredibles 2
5. Venom
7. Aquaman
8. Deadpool 2
9. Bohemian Rhapsody
10. Fantastic Beasts 2

6/10 are Superhero outings.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Poppins with that holiday week push. Going to jump Spiderverse soon.

Vice number looks terrible. Especially if it cost 60 million to make.

Last edited:

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017

Which makes it

1. Infinity War
2. Black Panther
3. The Fallen Kingdom
4. The Incredibles 2
5. Venom
7. Aquaman
8. Deadpool 2
9. Bohemian Rhapsody
10. Fantastic Beasts 2

Fatigue is kicking in, any day now.

Annapurna is just gonna keep on going up in flames I guess
I love that they kept advertising If Beale Street Could Talk as being everywhere, and it's not even on 100 screens nationwide. I don't think I've ever seen a production company go so wrong so fast.

The worst part? They're not even making bad films; they're just spending way too damn much on them.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fatigue is kicking in, any day now.
LOL. Yes, that was the craziest and dumbest narrative out there. Every time a single superhero movie struggled we'd see some idiot try to resurrect that idea despite the overall market still being dominated by superhero movies.
Next year I suspect that two or three of the following will fail: Dark Phoenix, Joker, New Mutants, Hellboy, but the others are all guaranteed big hits (Capt. Marvel, Shazam, SpiderMan and Avengers). I'm sure we'll hear that narrative once again.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Which makes it

1. Infinity War
2. Black Panther
3. The Fallen Kingdom
4. The Incredibles 2
5. Venom
7. Aquaman
8. Deadpool 2
9. Bohemian Rhapsody
10. Fantastic Beasts 2

here's mine
  1. Infinity War
  2. Da Bleck Pentha
  3. Mission Impossible
  4. Venom was so batshit stupid but a lot of fun.
  5. Dp2
  6. A Quiet Place
  7. Solo
  8. Antman and the wasp
  9. Halloween
  10. Meg.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Next year I suspect that two or three of the following will fail: Dark Phoenix, Joker...

After seeing Venom overshooting everyone's box office expectations, I'm honestly doubtful of Joker bombing. Especially given Suicide Squad still got butts in seats despite both the film itself being messy and Leto's Joker being polarizing across the board.

Don't disagree about Dark Phoenix likely flopping though. Maybe the third time could work for Hellboy, but that's a pretty big maybe.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So even a shitty FB movie can still roll ~$650M when all is said and done.
Wow.

It's on track to be the lowest grossing Harry Potter film, critically it didn't do well, even it's audience score was a B+ which is showing a downward trend (Where to Find them got an A).

Gonna be curious to see where they take the next one, probably try to push Jude Law as Dumbledore more. Although they are probably going to double down on Grindelwald and Credence... blegh.

The may still do 5 films, but I wouldn't be surprised if they drop down to 4 films if the 3rd continues a downward trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.