• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Part of that though is really I think TFA overperformed.

No way it hits that box office total without the "hook" of being the first new Star Wars in a decade+, and even more than that being able to sell the whole "it's really the first new Star Wars since 1983! We don't count the prequels! This is the real successor to the OT and look Harrison Ford is even back! You do love Han Solo don't you?" stuff.

TFA definitely overperformed but these billion dollar blockbusters don't just bleed constantly like Star Wars unless someone is shitting in the pot. These Episodes could comfortably gross in the 1.2-1.4B range and be fine but now we're talking about struggling to beat Rogue One.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TFA definitely overperformed but these billion dollar blockbusters don't just bleed constantly like Star Wars unless someone is shitting in the pot. These Episodes could comfortably gross in the 1.2-1.4B range and be fine but now we're talking about struggling to beat Rogue One.

Factoring in though that they also tried to shove in 2 other spin off films in the same period as these three films which on their own were likely rushed. Probably some serious brand saturation going on. 5 movies in 5 years is too much for this brand.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
monetary investment and brand power. Nobody invests in a trilogy, especially with a brand as massive as Star Wars, expecting the final installment to gross half of the first one. Nobody.

saying "well what did you expect with bad reviews/WOM" is sort of like saying "why are you mad the house burned up after pouring gasoline all over it." It's like BVS, big brands face planting this much is a bad result. This is not what Disney hoped for.

Right, I don't disagree. My point is that based off the finances of TLJ and Solo, I don't think forecasts should have been particularly strong to begin with, and maybe they weren't, I'm not sure what the general aggregate was from a variety of independent sources. I saw as high as 1.6 as a best case and as low as 700 as a worst case scenario from one source, but idk. I think it can be agreed that RoS is underperforming relative to expectation, the question is really what should the expected number have actually been? 1.2? 1.3? 1.5?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Right, I don't disagree. My point is that based off the finances of TLJ and Solo, I don't think forecasts should have been particularly strong to begin with, and maybe they weren't, I'm not sure what the general aggregate was from a variety of independent sources. I saw as high as 1.6 as a best case and as low as 700 as a worst case scenario from one source, but idk. I think it can be agreed that RoS is underperforming relative to expectation, the question is really what should the expected number have actually been? 1.2? 1.3? 1.5?

you could probably ask 10 different Disney/LF executives and get 10 different answers. I do tend to think at a certain point in production, the people in charge must have realized they had a dud on their hands and grit their teeth, releasing it and hoping for the best; however, BVS taught me some of these people legitimately have no clue what to expect. They knew what BVS was going to be and still planned immediate production for Justice League after its release. These people can be truly out of touch.

I think it's at least fair to say 200 million opening weekend or close to it was expected before reviews hit. After that, the chips fell where they did.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars needs to build up some new stories, characters, worlds. TROS managed to make the Star Wars universe much smaller than it was before it. There's nothing new and original in it, not one epic scene that is not a copy from a previous movie (SW or not). Maybe they should start some D+ series with new characters that are totally unrelated to PT, OT and ST. Bring some life into this dead universe.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I still need to go see TROS.

Looking at Spies in disguise, I just had an epiphany. Put big Willie in with la familia

Rock and Will Smith in the same movie? $3B easy

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm seeing TROS at fucking 11 PM tonight because that's just my life choices I guess.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Knives Out lost about 20% of its theaters, yet still rose 50% over last weekend.

Rian Johnson stays winning.

tenor.gif

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Joss Whedon helmed the most influential movie of the decade so now every blockbuster is trying to outquip Avengers.

Whedon sucks.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That just lit the fire after seeing that in that one clip. It's so much worse than any other Starwars movie.

It's so obvious they're trying to be FUN! and LIGHTHEARTED! after TLJ and it comes across like your 50 year old stepdad trying desperately to get you to like him. We have an Xbox now! Don't you want to come over?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Dude has always sucked. All of his characters have the same snarky voice.

You know who does not suck and can write multiple characters with different character voices?

James Gunn

his Captain America is also a stiff joyless fuddyduddy.

yeah the guy who fought in fucking WW2 and got into brawls in New York alleys is concerned about his teammates swearing.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Hey now, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, greatest tv show of all time, says hello. Angel says hello

Granted Joss doesn't always hit it out of the park but when he does he does
Whedon's schtick was novel in the 90s. Not so much now when meta commentary and snarky characters is the norm and people can write female characters besides sexualized five feet tall women who fall in love with men 20 years older than them.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Under $1B here we come! Beautiful scenes.
So if I'm reading this right, general audiences in the US hate the new Star Wars enough, that they're going to see Jumanji again instead?

mXgryrP.png
Knives Out lost about 20% of its theaters, yet still rose 50% over last weekend.

Rian Johnson stays winning.

tenor.gif
Rian always wins, baby
That just lit the fire after seeing that in that one clip. It's so much worse than any other Starwars movie.
It's so obvious they're trying to be FUN! and LIGHTHEARTED! after TLJ and it comes across like your 50 year old stepdad trying desperately to get you to like him. We have an Xbox now! Don't you want to come over?
Dude has always sucked. All of his characters have the same snarky voice.

You know who does not suck and can write multiple characters with different character voices?

James Gunn

All of you get holiday tamales 👏🏽

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It's still making ton of money, but pretty sure Disney already knows what to do with it's course correction. They got a potential winner with making it Disney plus fodder to help push the service with how big Mandalorian has been. And they need to step away from trilogy plans, make smaller investments as they know that Star Wars is not that big of a deal anymore. It's a solid franchise but its no longer the juggernaut ppl knew. Disney puts out plenty of things that don't make huge bank, Star Wars is still consistent money maker outside of the Solo project. They seem to know this clearly with no movies on deck any time soon. Pace em out, make Star Wars movie releases events again.

Why wouldn't they invest in the franchise they own as long as it makes money? They aren't going to kill a profitable franchise off just because the Joker or another movie makes more money. It's also a franchise heavy in merchandising and in general selling the IP goods. They got a huge investment with its Star Wars park division now, they keep expanding merch offerings.

SW is still a licensing money power house, and a big thing this year will be how well the merch has done as it's been on decline since after TFA. If merch sales rebound and improve with TROS, then Disney is gonna be just fine with star wars
Like, I think it's funny that you're seeing all this "Disney needs to course correct!!!" stuff after Solo already forced them to do that.

They were never going to cancel Episode 9, and it's clear its performance at the box office has a lot to do with its poor critical reception. Despite that, it'll still come away with a billy. Maybe not what Disney hoped, but all the "heads are going to roll" stuff is extremely hyperbolic.

Three years is plenty of time for a break as long as the next movie is of high quality.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Nah man I'm reading through Astonishing X-Men right now and I'm really digging it
KlYgdCvDnV2DkpdG6SO3fVx9WA1Y5p5oklIMB08MPG0.jpg

Whedon's schtick was novel in the 90s. Not so much now when meta commentary and snarky characters is the norm and people can write female characters besides sexualized five feet tall women who fall in love with men 20 years older than them.
There is still nothing quite like Buffy or Angel. I know Whedon has his own issues and I understand how that changes perception, but his writing is still good more than not. Meta commentary and snark might be more commonplace now, but if anything that's just an acknowledgment of how good Joss was at it.

Not always, and he is a much worse director. But the dude can write characters

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like we're blaming everyone for Rise of Skywalker except the hacks who wrote and directed it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
greg weisman basically does everything joss whedon does but 100000 times better

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Insight from my fourth viewing of Cats today: the fifty-seat theater was full. None of my other viewings were filled with as many people, so I'm very happy about that 🥳

The one audible reaction I heard leaving was "what the fuck", which I thought was kinda rude considering how much kids were there, but an understandable gut reaction from someone who didn't know the wonders they were going into from the trailers

This is the one time my viewing was anything but perfectly enjoyable, and it was only because a friend ruined the Jennifer Hudson scenes for me
so now I keep focusing on the fact she cried pretty noticeably during takes and just never fully cleaned up the tears or wetness between her nose and upper lip lol
so yeah that's distracting and takes me out of the moment 😂 Still very fun though. When the DVD isn't $30 on Amazon I'll preorder it

Seems like we're blaming everyone for Rise of Skywalker except the hacks who wrote and directed it.

What threads are you viewing, because for most of the Star Wars ones pre-today a lot of us have been pretty upfront that Abrams is shit at endings and the BvS/JL writer is a fucking hack who got lucky with the Argo Oscar, and they're definitely significantly to blame for this disaster. The TLJ haters and the racists in the fanbase are, and always have been, a vocal minority that can fairly easily be ignored without missing any valuable contributions

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll just say that uncut gems and little women are up there with Parasite for best of the year. Uncut Gems is more abrasive and divisive, but if you get on its wavelength it's amazing. Little women, idk how anyone watches it and doesn't fall at least a little in love with it.

They're widely available and faaaaaaar better cinema than Rise of Skywalker

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How do you know they worked their asses off? Lol .. every person who makes a movie works their asses off. All movies are hard to make. It's irrelevant when assessing the end product. The movie is obviously not a box office failure but as a story I think it was rather lacking and I felt the songs overall were not nearly as good as the original. I never thought the original Frozen was all that either. Catchy songs that lit the world on fire. But doesn't hold a candle to the best Disney animated movies.
You might not have thought much of the original frozen but your negative view of it doesn't make it a bad movie.
If you agree that the filmmakers worked their asses off then don't call their work "lazy"
Criticize it as much as you want in any other way.

Oct 27, 2017
TROS is quip city? Maybe, from a certain point of view.

"Over my dead body."
"That's the idea."

"I'm out of it for a little while and everyone's got delusions of grandeur."

"How we doin?"
"Same as always."
"That bad, huh?"

"This is where the fun begins."

"You were right about one thing, Master: the negotiations were short."

"I have the high ground."

"I used to live here, you know."
"You're gonna die here, you know. Convenient."

"Would it help if I got out and pushed?"
"It might."

"You said you wanted to be around when I made a mistake. Well, this could be it, sweetheart."

"I don't have time to discuss this with a committee."
"I am NOT a committee!"

"Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?"

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

The galaxy in which Star Wars takes place is aptly named "Quip City". YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.