• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing most of Aquaman's success is to do with James Wan rather than any of the actors. Aquaman is doing very well overseas, and Wan is a very known entity in Asia, especially after Fast and Furious. He's one of the few directors who actually carries name value there right now. And by all accounts, it seems like the direction of Aquaman is solid which is what's leading to the positive word of mouth everywhere.

Not saying Momoa isn't due any credit as the lead of the movie, and he certainly deserves some, but it doesn't sound like he's pulled an RDJ or anything and hard carried. From most accounts, it just seems to be well made movie that's entertaining due to the action, adventure, and spectacle.

Basically, get ready for The Billion Dollar Wan. The Wan who should hopefully get the next Justice League if it ever gets made.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just wait until he gets dat Wolverine gig

style-2014-03-kit-harington-kit-harington-gq-magazine-april-2014-game-of-thrones-actor-mens-fashion-style-01.jpg

Nov 13, 2017
Just left Mary Poppins. It was ok. The kids in my theater were terribly bored and wouldn't stop fidgeting and talking.

Blunt did a great impersonation, but I would have loved to have seen Andrews back in the role somehow.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I'm guessing most of Aquaman's success is to do with James Wan rather than any of the actors. Aquaman is doing very well overseas, and Wan is a very known entity in Asia, especially after Fast and Furious. He's one of the few directors who actually carries name value there right now. And by all accounts, it seems like the direction of Aquaman is solid which is what's leading to the positive word of mouth everywhere.

Not saying Momoa isn't due any credit as the lead of the movie, and he certainly deserves some, but it doesn't sound like he's pulled an RDJ or anything and hard carried. From most accounts, it just seems to be well made movie that's entertaining due to the action, adventure, and spectacle.

Basically, get ready for The Billion Dollar Wan. The Wan who should hopefully get the next Justice League if it ever gets made.

Guessed you missed the whole Moms for Mamoa thing lol

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Andrews dosent need disney this christmas, she has a part in Aquaman , the real money maker of this holiday season .

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
With bumblebee bombing MI is the only big franchise paramount haven't destroyed. This is a company that has the Trek film licence and transformers and seemingle has no idea what to do with either.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My cinema already stopped playing spiderverse. And yet it's still playing the Grinch. Boo.

I was going to watch Spidey for a third time with Bumblebee tomorrow. Now I'll have to look elsewhere.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Where were all these Momoa fans when his other movies didn't succeed?!

Funny thing there is Momoa talked about being tired of playing the silent-or-shouty angry brute, either as an anti-hero or villain. With Aquaman, Zack and James encouraged him to put more of his own fun personality into the character. And from all his appearances, to SNL, to now Aquaman, it seems that's what people are into.

Also funny how everyone thought Momoa would be perfect for Lobo, including Momoa himself when he went into meet Zack. He was blindsided by Zack offering him Aquaman.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With bumblebee bombing MI is the only big franchise paramount haven't destroyed. This is a company that has the Trek film licence and transformers and seemingle has no idea what to do with either.
Paramount's fault for releasing it in December, though that's apparently because Hasbro wanted to increase toy sales for Transformers stuff over Xmas. Shame because it's the best non-animation action movie for months. It could have done so well next month or so.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Guessed you missed the whole Moms for Mamoa thing lol
That's a small part though. As is Wan (outside of Asian countries maybe).

I think mainly Aquaman fulfills exactly what the mainstream audience wants from a tentpole blockbuster. The plot and character development are completely useless, but the action beats hit pretty well and the movie moves at a good clip for such a long flick. Momoa and Heard bring sex appeal, the movie wraps up happily. It kinda missed the mark as far as comedy at my showing.

Imo it's by no means a good movie but I was entertained (and drunk). I preferred it to Bumbebee.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Paramount's fault for releasing it in December, though that's apparently because Hasbro wanted to increase toy sales for Transformers stuff over Xmas. Shame because it's the best non-animation action movie for months. It could have done so well next month or so.

I'm Australia it released with absolutely no competition and still did very poorly. I don't believe that is the reason for its performance. Also releasing at Christmas gives it a chance to have fairly long legs so I think the release date wasn't that bad.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
There's gonna be a sequel to The Quiet Place right?

At least they have that going for them
I have no idea.

I have more interest in Trek than most, but it is crazy how they left such huge gaps between the recent films, fired a director, botched the 20th anniversary and have numerous issues with casting on the upcoming film. Paramount had the perfect opportunity to surf the waves Star Wars made and it is nowhere to be found.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Hasbro has a stake in the movies now with it's Allspark label, so it's not all Paramounts money. It still can turn a small profit, which should keep folks happy. Hasbro though now investing heavy themselves into the movies have to hope the merch is selling to recoup this.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe that Mel Gibson cop movie came and went with no fanfare

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Came across this when looking at the box office prediction thread

Fun to re-read in hindsight

https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...against-aquaman-bumblebee-alita-spidey.54509/

Spider-Man will definitely do well.

It's just Mary Poppins is going to do far, far better than "well". It's a family musical releasing in mid-December that's a sequel to Walt Disney's crowning achievement, with pitch-perfect casting and Lin Manuel Miranda.

whew

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's a small part though. As is Wan (outside of Asian countries maybe).

I think mainly Aquaman fulfills exactly what the mainstream audience wants from a tentpole blockbuster. The plot and character development are completely useless, but the action beats hit pretty well and the movie moves at a good clip for such a long flick. Momoa and Heard bring sex appeal, the movie wraps up happily. It kinda missed the mark as far as comedy at my showing.

Imo it's by no means a good movie but I was entertained (and drunk). I preferred it to Bumbebee.
It might be the most "crowd-pleaser" movie released since Infinity War. Some humor, some heart, a lot of action and spectacle, cool visuals, simple adventure premiere, a relatively likable protagonist, etc. I was watching it thinking "yeah, I see exactly why this is resonating".

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
It might be the most "crowd-pleaser" movie released since Infinity War. Some humor, some heart, a lot of action and spectacle, cool visuals, simple adventure premiere, a relatively likable protagonist, etc. I was watching it thinking "yeah, I see exactly why this is resonating".

I say this as not a fan of Jurassic World but one of Aquaman, to a degree it reminds me of why that was a success. Greatest movies of the year? Not really. But big, dumb, fun, entertaining movies.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Spider-Man's hold is depressing. Wish the general audience would start taking animation seriously outside of just being movies to take their kids to.
Sadly, this is the general sentiment with my family...it could be the highest rated super hero movie of all time but they don't care because it's animated so not worthy of theater viewing...

In other news, we went to see Aquaman and enjoyed it...gorgeous!
"Black Manta blaming Aquaman was dumb though..."

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think I loved Aquaman? Like the more I think about it, the more I like it
It was fun and had fantastic action sequences, even if I had to stifle a chuckle every time I heard the title "Ocean Master" lol

Come to think of it, I enjoyed Venom as well. I can see that they are objectively flawed films, but it doesn't keep me from liking them.
Oh no, am i part of "the masses?"

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, kswiston and/or Seeya...is Aquaman essentially performing in line with Jumanji at this point or better?

There isn't really enough data to say yet in terms of projecting but so far Aquaman is doing better than Jumanji. Jumanji 2's real strength wasn't just in how it very quickly opened well, but in its later term legs, however.

Both films had showings starting from and onward of DEC 21st but Jumanji opened mid week last year so its first weekend was depressed slightly by that.

If you just bundled the first 2 days of Jumanji into its weekend (sort of BS I know, but those first two days account for sneaks + 15m and this is an attempt to more closely align the two films)

Assuming that much of that business from Jumanjis pre Friday's tickets would have gone into its OW:

Jumanji Weekend 1 $52,775,295 (real OW 36m)
Aquaman Weekend 1 $67,400,000

Jumanji 4 day stretch $66,175,898
Aquaman 4 day stretch $69,835,000

However the current estimates for Friday appear to have Aquaman slightly below Jumanjis 2nd Friday

Aquaman est 17.1m
Jumanji 2nd Friday $17,663,293

Keeping in mind that these Aquaman numbers are estimates. It's possible the the sheer amount of demographic overlap this season prevents Aquaman from having Jumanji legs from here, or maybe Aquaman is just going to end up being slightly weaker on weekends but trading that deficit for an advantage on week days.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
It was fun and had fantastic action sequences, even if I had to stifle a chuckle every time I heard the title "Ocean Master" lol

Come to think of it, I enjoyed Venom as well. I can see that they are objectively flawed films, but it doesn't keep me from liking them.

Did we just become best friends?

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017

From the sounds of things, Venom's greatest fault is how they took out a lot of Hardy acting up a storm. My guy was channeling Jim Carrey in the The Mask.

All the post release market feels like they finally realized what people enjoyed from it. Venom 2 with Hardy and Woody hamming it up will be beautiful.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
From the sounds of things, Venom's greatest fault is how they took out a lot of Hardy acting up a storm. My guy was channeling Jim Carrey in the The Mask.

All the post release market feels like they finally realized what people enjoyed from it. Venom 2 with Hardy and Woody hamming it up will be beautiful.
Well hopefully the sequel won't suffer from the comedy sequel syndrome of doubling down way too much on the things people thought were funny in the first one but I bet that'll be the case.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Weekend projections over at Deadline have Spidey coming in for a possible 19,3 million take. That would mean it actually grew from last weekends take which ended up on 16,7 million.

Spidey's holdin' out.

Oct 27, 2017
A bit disappointed with Aquaman after all the hype it got. Was pretty bored during it and kept checking my watch for when it would end.

Great visuals but meh everything else.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.