• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Going to see Bumblebee in a few hours with my teenager. He wanted to see Aquaman and i said "No!, we seein Bumblebee!" Lol

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spiderverse would have done better if it were typical CG animation. For some reason, masses go for that much more than "drawn" animation.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

JL officially back to being the lowest grossing DCEU film

3797824-outrageous-aquaman.gif

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Aquaman has a good chance to beat forecasts based on its Friday performance. Pretty impressive how well it's doing.
Really hope it ends up being the most successful DCEU movie. Would be awesome and show that ceiling for DC movies is sky high as long as they're good.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Saturday is going to be about the same size as Friday. Sunday will only drop 10-20% for most films.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I think Mortal Engines' theater count needs an asterik since theaters are only showing it once a day after 10pm. In my general area at least.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Really hope it ends up being the most successful DCEU movie. Would be awesome and show that ceiling for DC movies is sky high as long as they're good.
Sort of amazing that putting Superman, Batman, The Flash, Cyborg and Wonder Woman on the poster had a detrimental effect on Justice League's performance.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman is going to pull a Jumanji and end up ever so close to $1B and annoy me until the end of time.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saturday is going to be about the same size as Friday. Sunday will only drop 10-20% for most films.

Absolutely but SV has been beaten trends since XMAS. Flat sat could = SV slight bump, it would be at 98m with a flat sat.

Only limiting factor that may have it flat or down is that there is more impetus for people to favor weekend showings for newer releases, as can be seen by the % bumps in the top 10 for this Friday.

Hence flirting. It will comfortably break 100m on Sunday if not.

China Dec 29th, 2019

reports of Spider-verses demise in China have been somewhat exaggerated. Hanging pretty close to Aquamans PTA. Should do well getting some more showings back after the mid week.

4th place Aquaman $2.68m $255.05m PTA $118.35

5th place Spider-verse $1.96m $40.64m PTA 105.62

FULL CHINA results
http://english.entgroup.cn/boxoffice/cn/daily/

For anyone interested in how Bumblebee is tracking for its Jan 4th opening in China :)

Last edited:

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
For anyone interested in how Bumblebee is tracking for its Jan 4th opening in China :)

That'd be a nice little boost for its gross, but I can't imagine it having great legs there. The movie seems tailor-made for western audiences. Not to mention the fact that Chinese audiences weren't huge fans of TLK.

Should be noted that Bumblebee is a huge character in China, though, and Hasbro has made Transformers a very popular brand there (even outside the films). So we'll see.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I mean, it's fresh on RT. I loved the movie but can see why it wouldn't have a 90%+.

I feel like Marvel films typically have stronger acting but take less risks with the plot or out there set pieces (not true for every film, but true with many of them). And that combination does slightly better with critics. Which is enough to slide more reviews over that 6/10 mark. Other than Black Panther, most MCU films don't have high averages. Usually 6.5-7.5/10. Aquaman is sitting at 6/10.

Compare that to Spider-verse, which has an 8.8/10 avg.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spiderverse would have done better if it were typical CG animation. For some reason, masses go for that much more than "drawn" animation.

There is a widespread perception that hand-drawn animation (or animation that looks hand-drawn but isn't) is "cheap" and that CGI looks cooler. The irony is that hand-drawn animation is actually more expensive and time-consuming, which is why American animation studios abandoned it to begin with.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That'd be a nice little boost for its gross, but I can't imagine it having great legs there. The movie seems tailor-made for western audiences. Not to mention the fact that Chinese audiences weren't huge fans of TLK.

Should be noted that Bumblebee is a huge character in China, though, and Hasbro has made Transformers a very popular brand there (even outside the films). So we'll see.

It's the antithesis of TLK though. Venom did well despite not being too action heavy. I haven't looked at reception from the previews, but I bet it will do decent.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I think Bumblebee is experiencing the same thing the Jigsaw revival did, which is that the pop culture cache of interest is completely spent.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
There is a widespread perception that hand-drawn animation (or animation that looks hand-drawn but isn't) is "cheap" and that CGI looks cooler. The irony is that hand-drawn animation is actually more expensive and time-consuming, which is why American animation studios abandoned it to begin with.

Not counting Pixar, which is really the only animation studio interested pushing CGI animation technology in every film they do. Even the not great films like A Good Dinosaur have some amazing technical feats.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think Bumblebee is experiencing the same thing the Jigsaw revival did, which is that the pop culture cache of interest is completely spent.

It's sad really but I understand it. I'm sure it's good and I'd like to see it but I can't build enough enthusiasm to actually go to the cinema for it.
I gave up on the Bay films after 3 but I'll at least catch Bumblebee on streaming.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017

I doubt it. Most audiences aren't even aware of the different animation style. They've just been trained for the last 16 years that Spider-Man is a live action franchise and that animated version is for TV. The only reason I think LEGO Batman movie got a pass was because of the built in sequel branding of the LEGO movie.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Did Bayformers poison the well for anyone else? Even if by all accounts the new Bumblebee is great all I go back to with live action transformers are those racist twins and Devastors wrecking ball sack

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's basically locked at this point; it's going to pass BvS looking at how its performing everywhere. Aquaman will likely flirt with the one billion mark or pass it.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Did Bayformers poison the well for anyone else? Even if by all accounts the new Bumblebee is great all I go back to with live action transformers are those racist twins and Devastors wrecking ball sack

I would say that's not an uncommon statement. The Transformers films have spent the last decade as one of the most excessive and mean spirited franchises in film, and has essentially been mauled critically every step of the way.

Just because Optimus looks like G1 Optimus now will not magically save its reputation.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-verse May fall slightly short of my 60-70m USD range in China (great return for an animated film) as Maoyan estimates it to finish at roughly 59m USD, but I think they haven't adjusted for the weak showings for most of the recent releases and had been over valuing thugs.

So around 50 million weekend for Aquaman?

If it out does Jumanji DOM from here it should crack 1b. Nothing is certain yet though. Aquaman hitting 290m still quite be possible in China, there's little kneecapping that one could have reasonable expected given the composition of the new year releases.

Last edited:

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
More anecdotal evidence that women are driving Aquaman's success. My exwife went to see it with a gf last night. I told her I was surprised they were going to see a cbm. Her response...

- Its aquaman. And its jason momoa! 😉😍

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
It's the combination of Momoa and the insanely popular character we didn't know the public was thirsty for until this film. 😏

Status
Not open for further replies.