• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I see shit re: Guardians like "I can't believe a movie with a talking tree and raccoon did better than X." Audiences respond well to crowdpleasers, whether it's Superman or Squirrel Girl. Most people don't read comics so how obscure the characters are is immaterial to whether they liked a movie or not.

If anything it's actually an asset. Watching Batman drone on for the 50th time about his parents getting killed gets dull after a while. Watching a racoon or Deadpool for the first or second time can be a lot more fun if done correctly.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I just got back from watching the best comedy of all time in Holmes and Watson. Every single joke landed and I completely bought Will Ferrell's performance as a detective mastermind and thoroughly enjoyed the musical bit towards the end. Plus the topical selfie joke, the trump jokes, and the dick pic/drunk telegram jokes had the crowd roaring with laughter.
that movie sucked....a lot...put 3 people to sleep.
The whole movie was torturous to sit through, the audacity to tease a sequel is baffling. They had to have known the movie was not funny and just didn't deliver.

I feel the need to say this (the obvious) because the post above me was missing a /s and I don't want people thinking it was good.

I never in my life had to elbow my father because he was snoring in a theater. That's how bad that film was.

Dec 12, 2017

that movie sucked....a lot...put 3 people to sleep.
The whole movie was torturous to sit through, the audacity to tease a sequel is baffling. They had to have known the movie was not funny and just didn't deliver.

I feel the need to say this because the post above me was missing a /s and I don't want people thinking it was good.
I think your sarcasm meter needs new batteries.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I just got back from watching the best comedy of all time in Holmes and Watson. Every single joke landed and I completely bought Will Ferrell's performance as a detective mastermind and thoroughly enjoyed the musical bit towards the end. Plus the topical selfie joke, the trump jokes, and the dick pic/drunk telegram jokes had the crowd roaring with laughter.
Sup, Will?

Oct 25, 2017
I find it a little funny looking back at old threads and posts on the internet of people certain Mary Poppins was going to destroy Aquaman at the BO.

I guessed it was going to do badly based on a cursory examination of the Facebook comments on the trailer ads. So many people convinced this was a remake, not a sequel, and the boomer equivalent of the Ghostbusters "ruining my childhood"-type posts.

Still, I kind of assumed Lin Manuel Miranda would have helped pushed it a bit higher than this.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Box Office Mojo has posted their predictions for the weekend

• Aquaman - $50.0 M
  • Mary Poppins Returns - $28.5 M
  • Bumblebee - $20.0 M
  • Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse - $19.1 M
  • The Mule - $9.0 M
  • Holmes and Watson - $8.0 M
  • Second Act - $7.5 M
  • Vice - $7.0 M
  • Dr. Seuss' The Grinch - $6.0 M
  • Ralph Breaks the Internet - $5.3 M
Full article (worth a read): https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4470&p=.htm

Dec 12, 2017
No like the Noovie stuff that plays in theaters before every single film.

I didn't see any such thing at my showing of Spiderverse or Aquaman.

Box Office Mojo has posted their predictions for the weekend

• Aquaman - $50.0 M
  • Mary Poppins Returns - $28.5 M
  • Bumblebee - $20.0 M
  • Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse - $19.1 M
  • The Mule - $9.0 M
  • Holmes and Watson - $8.0 M
  • Second Act - $7.5 M
  • Vice - $7.0 M
  • Dr. Seuss' The Grinch - $6.0 M
  • Ralph Breaks the Internet - $5.3 M
Full article (worth a read): https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4470&p=.htm

Aquaman is too low, I think everything else is too high.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that we'll see Spider-man improving over last week. If it is lucky it'll see a pretty small drop.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one is marveling (see what I did there) over the idea of WW or AM doing better, just that WB fucked things up so much with Batman and Superman (in their latest incarnations) that their brands have less value with moviegoers than the aforementioned. That is kinda amazing.

WB literally had 3 straight successful Batman movies with the Nolan trilogy so it's not like these properties have always had this problem.

I know what you mean, but we kind of have the same situation on the Marvel side, although the rights issues make it a bit confusing. Spider-Man, Hulk, and X-Men would likely have been the biggest Marvel IP prior to MCU, yet Thor, Captain America, Iron Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy dwarf them at the box office.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
ITSV is a great movie, but it's not just marketing and anti animation bias at work. It's distinctly pitched at more of a family market with a family message, and that's going to push out some of the older audience, no matter how it's marketed and whether it's animated or not.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
But real talk, Sony messed up by downplaying the actual story and characters in the marketing. Instead they tried to appeal to kids and ADHD with the zannyness. It made it seem like a vapid gimmick movie and most kids are clinical as crap these days and would want to be sold on 'depth' anyway.
Said it last week, but the film's target isn't kids, but older nerds. Story wise, it is easily the most mature and dark Spiderman movie. The story was has a lot happening in it, lots of references, lots of pieces its juggling. It maybe too much for some kids. Yet, the 3D animation style is giving it that Saturday morning cartoon feeling and the biggest audience is kids. Nor does it have any connections to the current LA spiderman run, yet definitely has to come in with the understanding of who Spiderman is(Specifically the Raimi series with flicks). I don't really think there was a good way to advertise the flick. Kids material misses the mark of the flick, while throwing it towards adults loses their most important base

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The gap in actors in BP and the rest of the MCU films is really noticeable. It's telling how a celebratory film was able to gather all of the best black talent in hollywood.

Dec 12, 2017
I know what you mean, but we kind of have the same situation on the Marvel side, although the rights issues make it a bit confusing. Spider-Man, Hulk, and X-Men would likely have been the biggest Marvel IP prior to MCU, yet Thor, Captain America, Iron Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy dwarf them at the box office.

To your point though, Marvel had to work with the stuff they still had the rights to vs. WB who controls all of their DC properties. They aren't fragmented. Marvel had a unified vision and creative helming the entire universe, whereas DC handed the vision holding to a single director who has a track record for presenting a specific approach to tone and content creation.

Batman and Superman aren't damaged brands...unless you put someone in charge that clearly doesn't understand what makes them great.

Jenkins and Wan get it; Snyder does not.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Saw Marry Poppins yesterday. As a major fan of the original, this one missed a lot of its soul. It had the characterization of Marry Poppins wrong most the time and Emily Blunt is no Julie Andrews, she didn't have charge of the screen like Andrews does.

Also not a single new catchy song in the whole film. It's sad when just a few brief cords of "feed the birds" or "let's go fly a kite" are the best parts of the film.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that we'll see Spider-man improving over last week. If it is lucky it'll see a pretty small drop.

It's the only that was up after Xmas and flat the on the Thursday. Everything other movie is down.

SV is also up over the last 4 days week over week with its lead per day increasing each day (for the most part)

1st Monday 2.7
2nd Monday 3.3m +21%

1st Tuesday 4.3m
2nd Tuesday 5.6m +30.9%

1st Wednesday 2.7m
2nd Wednesday 5.9m +112%

1st Thursday 2.9m
2nd Thursday 5.8m +103%

Since it's the holidays the balance between weekdays and weekends will be less lopsided, but not so much that Spider-verse shouldn't be up weekend over weekend.

Last year the only movies that were down over the New Years weekend (week over week on the 3 day) were relative short tailed movies with mixed reception, disapointments, or DOAs that were flopping

WOW change (3 day v 3 day)
The Last Jedi -26.3%
Pitch Perfect 3 -15.6%
Downsizing -5.1%

Outside of those three exceptions, every other movie in the top ten bumped an average of

+ 44.6%

With the Last Jedi having an anomalously gap of 70.9% from that average gain for films that did not drop.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=52&p=.htm
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=52&p=.htm

There is a LOT of demographic overlap this season compared to last, but historically the New Years weekend (not even counting it as the 4 day) is up WoW. You can take a look at past years on BOM to confirm. It would be pretty surprising if SV was down. It's not in a TLJ or Downsizing situation.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ITSV is a great movie, but it's not just marketing and anti animation bias at work. It's distinctly pitched at more of a family market with a family message, and that's going to push out some of the older audience, no matter how it's marketed and whether it's animated or not.

The Incredibles disagrees with this take. This movie was not presented as a family film, those do well. ItSV lacks the universal appeal of mainstream animation films that crack 100million. Even a Peter Parker animated film would be an uphill battle, Miles not being well known makes it even harder. There's a reason why DC's great animation goes straight to video .

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Incredibles (and a lot of Pixar movies) have messages aimed at the adults in the audience. SV's message is aimed at young teens. That's not a universal draw.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen if of course.

Perhaps I'm just not expressing myself well, but the idea that it being animated is what's held it back at the BO doesn't paint the whole picture. This isnt like a Pixar movie and it's not just a superhero movie but animated. Its potential audience is narrower than either of those. A little too grown up to make money like a kids' movie, a little too kiddie to net as wide an audience as a blockbuster. Pixar manages to find a crossover spot about half the time (usually by making the movie for adults, but enjoyable to kids) but it's not an easy mark to hit and SV didn't hit it. I loved it, but I am the target demographic for it. Folks at the office wouldn't dig it as much as I did even if it weren't animated.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Incredibles (and a lot of Pixar movies) have messages aimed at the adults in the audience. SV's message is aimed at young teens. That's not a universal draw.

Wasn't Homecoming offering the teenage perspective? If they made a perfect duplicate of that movie but animated it would have bombed. Being an animated superhero film is a hard sell. Its going to turn off a large number of people regardless of it's target audience.

Edit:. Just saw your other post, I agree. Sad part is most people would never give it the chance since it is animated.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Which is a damn shame. The best film of the year deserves more attention. Seems for a lot of people in the west animation is still seen as being for kids.

I've been beating the drum for the movie with word of mouth. It will do well when it hits the home market but maybe this kinda movie would have done better in August or early april/may

I didn't see the movie because it looked like it.. Runs badly. I rarely bother to see movies with that animation style.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen if of course.

Perhaps I'm just not expressing myself well, but the idea that it being animated is what's held it back at the BO doesn't paint the whole picture. This isnt like a Pixar movie and it's not just a superhero movie but animated. Its potential audience is narrower than either of those. A little too grown up to make money like a kids' movie, a little too kiddie to net as wide an audience as a blockbuster. Pixar manages to find a crossover spot about half the time (usually by making the movie for adults, but enjoyable to kids) but it's not an easy mark to hit and SV didn't hit it. I loved it, but I am the target demographic for it. Folks at the office wouldn't dig it as much as I did even if it weren't animated.

This is fair and the core problem with SV (also what helps it be so good). It's not really a universal appeal movie on its face.

Said it last week, but the film's target isn't kids, but older nerds. Story wise, it is easily the most mature and dark Spiderman movie. The story was has a lot happening in it, lots of references, lots of pieces its juggling. It maybe too much for some kids. Yet, the 3D animation style is giving it that Saturday morning cartoon feeling and the biggest audience is kids. Nor does it have any connections to the current LA spiderman run, yet definitely has to come in with the understanding of who Spiderman is(Specifically the Raimi series with flicks). I don't really think there was a good way to advertise the flick. Kids material misses the mark of the flick, while throwing it towards adults loses their most important base

This is a very good point and I may have underplayed that in recent posts. No matter what the film was always going to be a bit of a hard sell. That why I was so hard on the marketing for not focusing on the heart of the relationships and stakes because that's at least more universal.

I didn't see the movie because it looked like it.. Runs badly. I rarely bother to see movies with that animation style.

I will admit that the 'framey' Look of it was a dampener in the run up for me. It's NOT an issue in the film itself though. See it.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure animation bias is a part of the equation. But it's like... half? I think Homecoming was hurt by the teen angle. And I think *all* Spider-Man movies are hurt by the brand confusion of having 3 (now 4) continuities within recent memory.

Back to the animation... I feel like it has an effect of the studio as much as it does on the audience. Nobody's dared make an animated major release thats pitched age wise at the same audience as live action. Some of the home releases are, but they are low budget. I'd like to see a movie with SV level of animation that's as adult in tone as an MCU movie. (This is not a statement about the relative quality, SV rates above most MCU movies for me.)

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have
I think audiences just view live action --> animation as a downgrade

It's the other way around that makes the money

Which irks me to no end considering how much live action films nowadays rely on CGI aka "animation" for their action set pieces.

Black Panther and Infinity War looked like cartoons at some points, and I enjoyed them all the more for that.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
The whole "I can't believe people are more interested in Aqua Man or Wonder Woman over Superman or Batman!" thing seems a lot like the new "I can't believe people like Iron Man over X-Men! Iron Man is a B or C tier character!".

For starters it's actually a bit refreshing to see other characters than watch the 10th iteration of Batman or Superman. It's not necessarily the downside people think it is.

Secondly, subject matter well done will always likely produce a more positive result, so no it doesn't really surprise me that crowd pleasing versions of Wonder Woman or Aquaman can make more box office than a dreary/depressing Batman Vs. Superman.
Further proves Roger Ebert's quote:
"It's not what your movie is about, it's how it is about it."

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anything, I hope Spider-Man somehow convinces Walt Disney Animation to dabble more in what they did with Paperman for a full feature.

I mean, how can you not?

tumblr_nwnk05OAq31uhr8t5o2_500.gif

giphy.gif

Dec 12, 2017
Not sure if serious. A premise and an execution of said premise are two different things. You could have a thousand come up with a premise and they'd all have a different idea of how to parlay that to screen.

Here's a really simple one: You could show things not being very different at all to show how little we have actually progressed over the past 150 years.

I have seen enough images of my people in bondage in TV and film. Don't need any what if scenarios to "make a point". No thanks.

So for me, there is no execution I want to see based on that premise.

At the risk of derail, I now digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.