• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
BOT has the Thursday Aquaman at 14.5M when I looked very early morning.

EDIT: NM

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
"The holidays sure were fun, let's log onto era and check the box office thread"
"Huh 21 pages?"
reads a page
"Oh. Oh no."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyhow,
They Shall Not Grow Old seems to continue the year of the documentary, as per Deadline:
We are hearing that the encore presentation of Peter Jackson's WWI documentary They Shall Not Grow Old from Warner Bros. has set a brand new record for Fathom Events making an estimated $3.1-plus today from two showtimes at 1,122 theaters. That's the highest-grossing single-day ever for a documentary playing via Fathom, and one of the top-grossing single-night presentations of any kind from the events company.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will be interesting to see how 'Verse does this weekend. It's holding well, and seems to have found the family audience. But it's not looking poised for a late breakout at this point.
Also, RIP Annapurna. None of Vice, Beale Street, or Destroyer is really playing well for them.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I mean, to be fair, who asked for a Mary Poppins sequel to begin with? Looking back, it seems like that was a film destined to bomb

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Spiderverse is a very special movie.

It should be doing much better at the B.O.

I can see why it isn't though. It was barely advertised here, in the UK.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Mary Poppins has a pretty good shot at topping 30M this weekend, which would put its total past 100M.

Finishing around what Cinderella did domestically is feasible.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Mary Poppins has a pretty good shot at topping 30M this weekend, which would put its total past 100M.

Finishing around what Cinderella did domestically is feasible.

Is that a 3 day weekend prediction? That's really good because that would be bigger than last weekends 3 day total.

I did mention earlier in the thread people were jumping in too fast to call Poppins a bomba because I figured it would get the holiday Bronson bump, and it looks like the movie is going to end up doing fine.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The comparison that interests me is Wonder Woman vs Aquaman. Both following weak DCEU movies, then getting good wom/bo. But WW did relatively poorly outside the US, but was huge in the US. Aquaman seems to be the opposite.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the fun things is seeing everyone post their takes on why Spider-Verse is so low and so few people getting it right.

To the people saying that Sony didn't spend any money marketing it:

https://deadline.com/2018/11/nike-e...e-spider-verse-marketing-campaign-1202511158/

In terms of cross-promotion, they spent almost as much marketing it as they did Homecoming, and more than Illumination did on The Grinch.

The funny thing is all the posts proclaiming it a failure while it is escaping the 95th percentile, up on the day after Xmas and flat the day after, while all the other top movies are down 2 days running :p

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Spider-Man-Into-The-Spider-Verse-3D#tab=box-office

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I saw Mary Poppins Returns on Christmas, and my girlfriend and I have had the soundtrack on blast to memorize all the lyrics ever since.

That said, the kids in the theater were going out of their minds with boredom. The little 11-ish year old girl next to me was especially insufferable. After every song she'd wave her finger around in the air and let out a muted, "Yaaaaaay..." She'd also moan and groan over dialog, and complain to her dad for making her see it. I wanted to tell her to stay in school, do well in English, and watch again in 10 years to hopefully enjoy it.

I sadly feel like the vast majority of kids, both male and female, would choose Aquaman over Mary Poppins. Kids these days seem to loathe and misunderstand the very idea of her fictional existence, and that makes me sad.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey look at that, Spider-verse is projected to have overtaken Bumblebee on Thursday and be the #2 movie behind Aquaman (until a few others get counted at least. :p

That almost sounds like exactly what I said days ago was going to happen within days :p

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/daily/2018/12/27

IT IS A FAILURE

I WON DAMMIT

WHAT'S UP DANGER

Don't feel too bad.

I was exaggerating when I said every other movie dropped over the two days following XMas, that's true with one exception. Ralph 2 bumped a single time.

That being said, Sony can we, ah, get some actuals at some point. Please? Has the movie actually been bombing but they're too embarrassed to tell anyone :p

(Bump or lazy are my guesses)

Last edited:

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If it was live-action it would have tripled its take by now. Fucking bullshit.

If it was live-action and still going up against Aquaman/Bumblebee I honestly think it could had done worse. The film's already treading the same genre and gunning for the same audience as the other two films while releasing around the same period--being live-action/CG would (IMO) only re-enforced the idea of the three films being arguably too homogeneous to each other. Being animated actually gives Spider-Verse a leg-up to positively distinguish itself (to say nothing about its animation being highlighted as one of the film's biggest strengths).

I still think the biggest problem was the competition/release date rather than the film's animation or concept more than anything else. In a quieter month (or hell, even a dump month like January next year, Shyamalan's Glass is the only major release next month) I think it could had been a domestic sleeper hit, given the positive reviews/WOM.

Random fact of the day: Did you know Sony is rebooting The Grudge (currently simply titled as "Grudge")? And it's (currently) slated to be released next year on the same day as the Child's Play reboot?

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I don't know if it's possible for a comic book movie with a "multiverse"-centered story to be seen as anything more than a spin-off by the general audience, even if it was live-action.

I would love to be proven wrong.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A sequel to Homecoming introducing Miles, Gwen, and the Spider-Verse storyline would've done bonkers. The hell y'all talking about?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
avengers 7 is gonna be secret wars/hickman's avengers

alternate universes all over the fucking place

box office of $3.8 billion in 2030 dollars

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It could have done worse in live action, we know from ang lees hulk, speedracer and scott pilgrim that the whole "comic book in movie form" doesnt do well in live action

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Anyhow,
They Shall Not Grow Old seems to continue the year of the documentary, as per Deadline:

I thought this movie was actually really bad. Which I feel bad for saying because Jackson clearly put a lot of work and heart into it. And the colorization of that footage is really impressive...but whatever the hell is going on with everyone's faces is really distractingly ugly.

Also, RIP Annapurna. None of Vice, Beale Street, or Destroyer is really playing well for them.
I think Beale Street is still in NY/LA release, but even still, why did they release all three of these on the same day!

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
10 years ago if you suggested a live action movie version of thanos and the infinity gauntlet storyline you'd be laughed at

but then papa feige eased the masses into that shit and it's now the biggest thing ever

marvel multiverse will come soon enough

Dec 12, 2017
A sequel to Homecoming introducing Miles, Gwen, and the Spider-Verse storyline would've done bonkers. The hell y'all talking about?

It would have ceased to be the Miles centric movie that Spiderverse is and would have needed to recast the villain since that guy is spoken for in Daredevil.

In other words, it would have been confusing af.

10 years ago if you suggested a live action movie version of thanos and the infinity gauntlet storyline you'd be laughed at

but then papa feige eased the masses into that shit and it's now the biggest thing ever

marvel multiverse will come soon enough

It took them 18 movies to build to that.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would have ceased to be the Miles centric movie that Spiderverse is and would have needed to recast the villain since that guy is spoken for in Daredevil.

In other words, it would have been confusing af.

It took them 18 movies to build to that.

I'm kind of... happy that miles et all aren't anchored to having to adhere to the MCU and Tom Holland's Spider-Man. It gives everything a lot of freedom.

Honestly, think of what you will, save for Civil War, our current live action Spider-Man has kind of... bored me.

Coming off of Spider-verse, Homecoming feels like even less of a Spider-man movie. Being low hero on the totem poll is cool, but just don't like how hyper integrated into the MCU he is every single second since being introduced.

It feels like it limits the potential of his stories and validity of his character.

I still think that Tom Holland and Tom Hardy would play off one another well, though. Maybe far from home will change my opinion.

*I'd take this Spider-Man any day over the ASM garbage.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spiderverse will get a shit ton of play on streaming sites and when number 2 hits it'll be fucking massive if they can keep the quality up. It's my favorite movie of the year

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Top Aquaman territories:

China: $249M
Brazil: $20.3M
Mexico: $19.2M
Korea: $18.3M
UK: $15.1M
Indonesia: $14.1M
Russia: $13.9M
France: $10.9M
Taiwan: $10.1M
Philippines: $8.8M

Australia is off to a good start too

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Spiderverse being phenomenal means people can stop pretending Homecoming is anything more than "okay".

MCU Spider-Man has been a major disappointment. I'd take a few Amazing Spider-Man 2s and Venoms if it meant more content like Spiderverse.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, to be fair, who asked for a Mary Poppins sequel to begin with? Looking back, it seems like that was a film destined to bomb

It just passed $70 million yesterday and probably will exceed its opening weekend this weekend. It'll easily pass $200M in the US. People were expecting a massive opening on a musical which rarely happens.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tom Holland would look like a joke next to Hardy. There's just a huge gulf in presence and charisma between them. It's already noticeable in the MCU, where you have Spidey looking like a second rate hero next to the likes of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, or even Star-Lord. And it's not like Hemsworth, Pratt, and Evans have some amazing presence. RDJ's the only real force among them, but Holland looks out of place in comparison to all of them. I would hope Sony cast a new Spider-Man for Venom if they decide to include him. You need someone who carries himself better and actually feels like an energetic presence on screen.

Black Panther is the only new hero since the original Avengers that feels like a standout. Chadwick's no RDJ, but he's at decent enough that he doesn't come across out of place.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Tom Holland would look like a joke next to Hardy. There's just a huge gulf in presence and charisma between them. It's already noticeable in the MCU, where you have Spidey looking like a second rate hero next to the likes of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, or even Star-Lord. And it's not like Hemsworth, Pratt, and Evans have some amazing presence. RDJ's the only real force among them, but Holland looks out of place in comparison to all of them. I would hope Sony cast a new Spider-Man for Venom if they decide to include him. You need someone who carries himself better and actually feels like an energetic presence on screen.

Black Panther is the only new hero since the original Avengers that feels like a standout. Chadwick's no RDJ, but he's at decent enough that he doesn't come across out of place.
Truth. Black Panther immediately had presence in Civil War.

Doctor Strange was great in Infinity War, hopefully the second movie is an improvement.

Dec 12, 2017
I'm kind of... happy that miles et all aren't anchored to having to adhere to the MCU and Tom Holland's Spider-Man. It gives everything a lot of freedom.

Honestly, think of what you will, save for Civil War, our current live action Spider-Man has kind of... bored me.

Coming off of Spider-verse, Homecoming feels like even less of a Spider-man movie. Being low hero on the totem poll is cool, but just don't like how hyper integrated into the MCU he is every single second since being introduced.

It feels like it limits the potential of his stories and validity of his character.

I still think that Tom Holland and Tom Hardy would play off one another well, though. Maybe far from home will change my opinion.

*I'd take this Spider-Man any day over the ASM garbage.

I mostly agree with what you said. Homecoming, while better than those gawd awful ASM films, never quite felt like a Spider-Man film, whereas Spiderverse is unapologetically a Spider-Man film.

There was no expectation of a "tie in" to some greater arch or whatever. It was able to concentrate on just telling a good Spidey tale.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I think Beale Street is still in NY/LA release, but even still, why did they release all three of these on the same day!
It's in 65 theaters; and to be clear it's not doing bad, but it's not playing well either. Now it could leg out for them but the numbers it's pulling right now aren't impressive or what Annapurna needs.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Truth. Black Panther immediately had presence in Civil War.

Doctor Strange was great in Infinity War, hopefully the second movie is an improvement.
I forgot about Doctor Strange. Didn't like his movie, but Benedict definitely has way more presence than Holland regardless. Even Paul Rudd has more presence. Holland's Spidey is crap as far as I'm concerned. This is Spider-Man, but I'd be shocked if they somehow tried to make him the centerpiece because he's just that forgettable. Like the average little white kid I'd see on the streets of London. Nothing compelling about his performance or his on-screen energy.

Black Panther or Doctor Strange would be the obvious choices as replacements for the Iron Man position as the center figure in the new Avengers movies after this whole thing is done. They at least have the screen presence for it and don't look out of place next to the other big hitters. As you said Black Panther is barely in Civil War, but he immediately feels like a big deal. Part of that is the understated energy Chadwick brings to his performance. It gives him some immediate gravitas. Spidey's been in 3 movies now, and all I can think of is how out of place he seems. He doesn't have any weight to him when next to the other stars and that's just because Holland is a bit shit frankly.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Saw Aquaman and had a great time.

There's some clumsy writing in there but it's very fun, very satisfying, and exactly the kind of blockbuster crowdpleaser that the DCEU needed.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

I completely disagree. I think they'd be wonderful together onscreen. Venomverse Venom and MCU Spider-Man would really play off of each other well and I think they'd be... friends? Frenemies?

Status
Not open for further replies.