• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Justice League really does suck. Even the other movies that I didn't like had some elements that I found good. For all of its issues, BvS at least had a great score, Ben Affleck really shows up and is pretty great throughout, the opening scene is done very well, and the Batman action scene is excellent. Suicide Squad was horrible, but the chemistry between some the main cast is solid.

But Justice League? I couldn't name one thing I thought was good about the movie. Poorly constructed, Ben Affleck checked out, Gal being the charisma and acting black hole that she is, boring score and story, and even the visuals and action sucked. Like, ain't nothing good about the movie. It's just kind of shit.
Ben afleck is the worst hero in JL absolutely. But the script is just bad. The more I rewatch it the more the movie just falls apart. The only decent part in the whole film is the Superman resurrection which imo should have been its own film outside of JL.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ben afleck is the worst hero in JL absolutely. But the script is just bad. The more I rewatch it the more the movie just falls apart. The only decent part in the whole film is the Superman resurrection which imo should have been its own film outside of JL.
Yeah. Like, if I could say something positive, it'd be that at least Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg seemed to be trying even if they had nothing to work with. But the rest of the main cast was horrid. Gal completely sucked, Cavill is bland, and Affleck was glaringly bad because he's genuinely quite good in BvS. So the contrast in performances is evident because no energy behind him in Justice League. Justice League is just a really bad movie. There's nothing to it.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah. Like, if I could say something positive, it'd be that at least Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg seemed to be trying even if they had nothing to work with. But the rest of the main cast was horrid. Gal completely sucked, Cavill is bland, and Affleck was glaringly bad because he's genuinely quite good in BvS. So the contrast in performances is evident because no energy behind him in Justice League. Justice League is just a really bad movie. There's nothing to it.

Cavill is terrible and I don't know why he keeps getting cast in things. He was the absolute worst part of MI: Fallout as well.

Maybe his wooden charm will lend itself to being the Witcher? I hope so.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this 100%. Not every freaking character needed some origin story. Had BvS been received bettter, JL probably would have been fine.
I don't know. BvS before Justice League is like doing Civil War before the first Avengers. People already saw the biggest DC heroes together onscreen for the first time; I imagine that took a lot of the impact from JL. Cyborg and Flash and Steppenwolf ain't really an event after you have Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman taking on Doomsday

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. BvS before Justice League is like doing Civil War before the first Avengers. People already saw the biggest DC heroes together onscreen for the first time; I imagine that took a lot of the impact from JL. Cyborg and Flash and Steppenwolf ain't really an event after you have Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman taking on Doomsday

I didn't see at least half the solo movies leading up to the latest Avengers and I don't think I missed anything. These plots aren't complex.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Dunking on Mortal Engines is kinda sad at this point, but I noticed that it's per screen average was $124 yesterday. So basically 10 tickets per showing. That's impossibly bad for the day after Christmas.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Cavill is terrible and I don't know why he keeps getting cast in things. He was the absolute worst part of MI: Fallout as well.

Maybe his wooden charm will lend itself to being the Witcher? I hope so.
I think cavill was great in Superman MOS. Which lends me to think he needs good direction and actors around him putting in good performances. Agreed he was pretty terrible in JL and wasn't great in fallout either.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
How the hell is MPR trending more then Aquaman the past couple of days on movietickets.com?

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe they just wanted a good JL movie.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017

It's basically the same path as the animated universe, among others. I think it would've been better to have BvS followed by a World's Finest/Trinity movie. But JL as is would've done fine had it been a better movie.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman is nearing/has passed (real-time) 250m in China (also depends on what XR you're using)

Day 21
Venom $1.64m $251.07m
Aquaman $2.50m $249.34m
US$1 ≈ CNY 6.8885 RMB

Venom has grossed roughly 20m more from day 21.

Aquaman will also run through till the end of January

There are however 9 movies coming out over the next 4 days or so

http://english.entgroup.cn/boxoffice/cn/daily/?date=12 /27 /2018

Bonus
Spider-verse nearing 40m
$1.61m $37.04m

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Aquaman and Spider-verse are both going to start wrapping up quickly in China as we hit January.

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman is nearing/has passed (real-time) 250m in China (also depends on what XR you're using)

Day 21
Venom $1.64m $251.07m
Aquaman $2.50m $249.34m
US$1 ≈ CNY 6.8885 RMB

Venom has grossed roughly 20m more from day 21.

Aquaman will also run through till the end of January

There are however 9 movies coming out over the next 4 days or so

http://english.entgroup.cn/boxoffice/cn/daily/?date=12 /27 /2018

Bonus
Spider-verse nearing 40m
$1.61m $37.04m
Aquaman and Spider-verse are both going to start wrapping up quickly in China as we hit January.

I thought Aquaman got an extension until Feb?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix film, but Bird Box seems to have blown the fuck up because everyone at work is talking about it

I very much enjoyed myself. Trevante Rhodes needs more roles.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Means more like they won't be doing much business as other films take screens and attention

The biggest upcoming release will probably be Bumblebee (Jan 4th). It has slowed significantly in PS and looks to open in the 50m+ ish range but it could still break out, and a 50m start is damn good. Aside from that, China is typically very good about rewarding high PTA, so don't expect Aquaman at least to stay at that low theater count for too long. Spider-verse maybe not as much, but we'll see. If any of the films (or at least 2) break out it could fubar upper end dreams for Aquaman and/or SV.

Right now Aquaman andSpider-verse are projected for 4m and 3.4m in this upcoming packed weekend. Unless there is another big movie other than the upcoming Bumblebee, you should see some movement back in their favor after the weekend (and early weekdays)

I thought Aquaman got an extension until Feb?

Yeah I wrote the wrong month for some reason. My brain just saw Early Feb and remembered it end of Jan. MB.

I find China's box office so fascinating. Is there a reason movies have such quick runs in theatres there? (I know Aquaman debuted there before the U.S., but still).

Chinese theater chains are a lot more volatile to the whims of local managers who are constantly trying to min max their profits (who can blame them tbf). If I'm remembering right, there aren't the same equivalent screen/showing guarantees that you see in the west. There's a lot more screensskashing as a result.

Part of the quick runs has to do with volume of releases (unless the comparative numbers I'm looking at are wrong) remember how many people there are in China who can then support X amount more of films to a fast growing but still emerging market.

another part of it is that the film's we are paying attention to are imports, and there has traditionally been a tighter leash around them. As an example, basically any import films in December (used to be) basically unheard of.

China is also much more integrated to social media apps and user scores than we are in the west. Like a 9.3 on Maoyan (for Venom) probably helped draw a lot of business, but that also means that what's current gets more mind share in the moment.

Last edited:

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Netflix film, but Bird Box seems to have blown the fuck up because everyone at work is talking about it

I think he wanted to play John Stewart Green Lantern, along with Sterling K Brown, and some other actor from Baby Boy and a movie about stealing cars... Ving Rhames?

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

57308_normal.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Bird Box is probably bigger than every non Aquaman film this weekend. It's dominating social media. Really wish netflix released viewership for their biggest media.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Blame me for spiderman, since its a cartoon it wont get showed subtitled here and i have no interest in watching it dubbed

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Miles liking Post Malone is the most unbelievable part of the movie.

Last edited:

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
The Post Malone song ain't that bad but it's the one aspect of Spiderverse I go "hmm, should've changed that" about.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should check out this Bird Box. Even people at work were talking about it.

Per Deadline, early tracking for Glass is an open somewhere between $50M - $75M. Anything in that range would be massive for Shyamalan and Universal. It would be the second biggest MLK weekend release in history by a healthy margin.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/glass-...-shyamalan-blumhouse-bruce-willis-1202526426/
Love this.

Best cinematic universe incoming.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Thursday numbers starting to roll in over at this twitter account. Looks like Spiderverse is above Bee on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.