• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Am going to add 2 more ticket sales to Spiderman today. Dragging a nephew to see it who is too cool for cartoons, but wants to spend time with his uncle and get ice cream afterwards. I've seen it once already so I know he's going to like it. He just doesn't know it yet.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I mean she hasn't done a ton since Wonder Woman

She was in Wreck-It Ralph 2
And I guess between Justice League and WW 84 has been busy. I can see her getting bigger roles next year

Gal's got a big part in Branagh's next Hercule Poirot movie and is co-staring with the Rock in a new action film. She's doing fine.

So Spider-Verse is seemingly headed for a loss like Bumblebee? MPR has the biggest potential to be profitable.

Spider-Verse will be more of a break-even movie that eventually makes a profit from TV and digital rights. Still not what Sony was hoping for.

Dec 12, 2017
As much as I loved Spiderverse, I kinda don't want/need a sequel. I feel like whatever follows this will fall short. I also feel like this film, as a standalone, is perfect.

This really feels like a project that, for all intents and purposes, shouldn't have even been greenlit...BUT since it was, the creators poured all of their hearts and passion into it.

In many ways, it feels like 'The Matrix' in that regard.

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I loved Spiderverse, I kinda don't want/need a sequel. I feel like whatever follows this will fall short. I also feel like this film, as a standalone, is perfect.

This really feels like a project that, for all intents and purposes, shouldn't have even been greenlit...BUT since it was, the creators poured all of their hearts and passion into it.

In many ways, it feels like 'The Matrix' in that regard.

You can't do that post-credits scene and then not follow through on it. My heart couldn't take it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Whether or not Spider-Verse gets a sequel, every Spider-Man movie from here on out needs to starts with a short of Noir or Spider-Ham or
Miguel

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
That's not all the budget though.

I mean, it's not like it had a $200m tentpole marketing budget

Spider-Verse is looking to at least triple its production budget and I'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't make profit at that point. It might not be hitting the numbers Sony wanted but Cloudy grossed less on a larger budget and turned a healthy profit regardless. Spider-Verse isn't losing money.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
We saw Bumblebee. It was enjoyable but more of a kids movie vibe, IMO. I'd give it a B. My Transformer-loving friend hated it almost as much as the other live-action films. I don't think he would be happy with one unless the TF crew were the main focus and the humans were merely side-characters. I realize that they would never make a big-budget film that didn't focus on human characters though. He did like the more G1 look of the characters but that was about it.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
We saw Bumblebee. It was enjoyable but more of a kids movie vibe, IMO. I'd give it a B. My Transformer-loving friend hated it almost as much as the other live-action films. I don't think he would be happy with one unless the TF crew were the main focus and the humans were merely side-characters. I realize that they would never make a big-budget film that didn't focus on human characters though. He did like the more G1 look of the characters but that was about it.
Maybe he'll like the rumored Cybertron movie then.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
So Sony is probably green lighting venom X Spider-Man right now. Make movies people actually want to see and make money.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Probably closer to 750M. It should go into the weekend with around 625M. I am thinking at least 100M worldwide from Fri-Sun.
tenor.gif

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
So Sony is probably green lighting venom X Spider-Man right now. Make movies people actually want to see and make money.
Probably for a third movie. I imagine Venom 2 will go into production next year for summer 2020, and Holland's schedule is already probably full for much of that year, not the least of which because of FFH press. But yeah, wouldn't be surprised if Sony tried to rope Spider-Man into Venom 3, or Venom into Spider-Man 3.

Dec 12, 2017
WB backing their way into a Cinematic Universe. Somehow fucking up the first flicks and still turn things around.

Diana Prince and Arthur Curry headlining over Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne.

Absolutely baffling.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Probably for a third movie. I imagine Venom 2 will go into production next year for summer 2020, and Holland's schedule is already probably full for much of that year, not the least of which because of FFH press. But yeah, wouldn't be surprised if Sony tried to rope Spider-Man into Venom 3, or Venom into Spider-Man 3.
Maybe it's just me reading comics in the 90s but I think venom is the perfect Spider-Man villain especially for the big screen. Can't believe Sony is dragging their feet on it.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
WB backing their way into a Cinematic Universe. Somehow fucking up the first flicks and still turn things around.

Absolutely baffling.

I will say this much, I am glad it happens.

I said similar stuff around the Dark Universe, but it really does suck to do all this prep and get some people invested then throw it all away if one movie doesn't land how you wanted.

I don't like The Mummy 2017, but what they needed to do was re-evaluate their money spend on each film and not just ditching the universe wholesale.

Dec 12, 2017
I will say this much, I am glad it happens.

I said similar stuff around the Dark Universe, but it really does suck to do all this prep and get some people invested then throw it all away if one movie doesn't land how you wanted.

I don't like The Mummy 2017, but what they needed to do was re-evaluate their money spend on each film and not just ditching the universe wholesale.

WB's problem was rushing into the payoff. If they were patient, did WW and AM, along with a proper Batman movie, along with MOS2 before considering a BvS or JL scenario...JL could have been incredible. The audiences are saying we weren't in a rush...so ridiculous that they were.

Oh well...maybe they will learn the right lessons here...maybe.

Oct 25, 2017
WB's problem was rushing into the payoff. If they were patient, did WW and AM, along with a proper Batman movie, along with MOS2 before considering a BvS or JL scenario...JL could have been incredible. The audiences are saying we weren't in a rush...so ridiculous that they were.

Oh well...maybe they will learn the right lessons here...maybe.

Nah, I don't really think that was the issue. It was just Batman vs Superman having toxic word of mouth.

Justice League could have been fine released before solo movies. Hell, it could have been released as the very first movie and still been fine. It's not like an Avengers situation where the general public didn't really know any of the characters aside from the Hulk beforehand. It all came down to Snyder making unappealing films.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deadline weekend projection:
https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquama...end-projection-vice-holmes-watson-1202526448/

They have 54M for Aquaman, 25M for Mary Poppins, 21M for Bumblebee, 16M for Spider-verse, and 9M for Holmes and Watson

16m seems a little low for SV. The 19m from Box Office Pro seems more intuitive. Probably a bit higher than 16 but not quite (or much past) 19m. The low Xmas bump wasn't unexpected and was healthy considering the competition. WOM is showing itself, just not as well as some would hope. A modest breakout as oppose to taking no prisoners.

BB didn't have that big of a bump considering it was week 1, at least in raw dollar terms versus Spider-verse. The trend is that the streams of SV and BB will cross very soon.

Aqua 48.7
MPR 26.2
SV 19
BB 17.9
HM 11
Mule 10.6
Vice 9
2nd Act 8.1
Grinch 5.1
Ralph 2 4

https://pro.boxoffice.com/weekend-f...returns-look-repeat-holmes-watson-vice-debut/

Last edited:

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I don't really think that was the issue. It was just Batman vs Superman having toxic word of mouth.

Justice League could have been fine released before solo movies. Hell, it could have been released as the very first movie and still been fine. It's not like an Avengers situation where the general public didn't really know any of the characters aside from the Hulk beforehand. It all came down to Snyder making unappealing films.

I agree with this 100%. Not every freaking character needed some origin story. Had BvS been received bettter, JL probably would have been fine.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I agree with this 100%. Not every freaking character needed some origin story. Had BvS been received bettter, JL probably would have been fine.
I rewatched JL last night it's just not good. I enjoyed Aquaman far more. I laughed more, the action was better and the story was better in Aquaman. The villain was trash in JL

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Love seeing Aquaman killing it, very well deserved success!

Snyder certainly deserves credit for casting Momoa, but I love the direction Wan took with the world and characters. The underwater scenes in Justice League are just awful in comparison.

It would be amazing to see it pass $1B.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017

Absolutely baffling.
The trick is Diana and Arthur always had just as much potential as Clark and Bruce. WB just didn't want to see it till they had to.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I rewatched JL last night it's just not good. I enjoyed Aquaman far more. I laughed more, the action was better and the story was better in Aquaman. The villain was trash in JL
Justice League really does suck. Even the other movies that I didn't like had some elements that I found good. For all of its issues, BvS at least had a great score, Ben Affleck really shows up and is pretty great throughout, the opening scene is done very well, and the Batman action scene is excellent. Suicide Squad was horrible, but the chemistry between some the main cast is solid. So if nothing else, you at least have a few performances in the movie which are engaging enough.

But Justice League? I couldn't name one thing I thought was good about the movie. Poorly constructed, Ben Affleck checked out, Gal being the charisma and acting black hole that she is, boring score and story, and even the visuals and action sucked. Like, ain't nothing good about the movie. It's just kind of shit. The kind of shit that makes other bad movies look better.

Status
Not open for further replies.