• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lord please don't compare the snoozefest that was Blade Runner 2049 with the awesome funfest that was Spiderverse.
tenor.gif

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Having no connection with TF (old or new) apart from having seen half the first movie at home and giving up, it's weird to hear that there is an actually good TF film.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
The large disparity between Metacritic and RT for everything but Spider-Verse is telling.

After cross-checking the two sites I look at RT scores like Bumblebee and my reaction is basically

3npkLdX.gif

An MC of 66 and an RT of 94 has to be one of the biggest score aggregate disparities I've ever seen.

Yep, same for me. People are going to sleep on it no matter what you say.

Fuckin Blade Runner 2049 all over again.
Do people not know how RT works?

the actual average on RT is 7.1.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mary Poppins is something old people like to think is very popular but it really isn't. I don't know many minorities that care about Mary Poppins at all. I've never seen the original and I'm in my mid thirties.
i remember that movie being on from time to time on regular tv but i never wanted to watch it.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
The large disparity between Metacritic and RT for everything but Spider-Verse is telling.

After cross-checking the two sites I look at RT scores like Bumblebee and my reaction is basically

3npkLdX.gif

An MC of 66 and an RT of 94 has to be one of the biggest score aggregate disparities I've ever seen.

7.1 to 6.6 is not a big disparity
Rotten Tomatoes just manipulates what you pay attention to dont worry

Aerogamer

Oct 25, 2017
I went to the theater on Christmas Day, a lot of people were at Spiderverse, Aquaman and Bumblebee, full theaters for showings.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel like Mary Poppins May have legs; just saw it today and couldn't book decent seats at any theaters near Pasadena CA. Finally found a showing with 11 open seats for my relatives and I at my ArcLight and man that was a great crowd and pristine film experience.

It was really delightful.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
You may be on to something.

I was joking, but now I see this...

moms-momoa.png

Similar to how Warners infused a sense of humor into their marketing for Meg, they also had some fun with Aquaman, capitalizing on Momoa's allure and initializing the social media trend #MOMSFORMOMOA. This was in response to Warners noticing a viral meme that grew among moms online: They yearned to take their kids –or anyone's kids– to Aquamanas an excuse to see Momoa. As part of the stunt, mommy bloggers attended an advance screening at the Grove with a surprise appearance by Momoa, complete with t-shirts and schwag. Partners for the event included Bustle and IMomSoHard.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquaman-jason-momoa-marketing-won-women-over-1202525963

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm kind of out of the loop on Captain Marvel, but I'm wondering what the general hype train is like on that one. I know the Youtube views on the trailers seem pretty good. I think I originally predicted it to be a billion dollar film.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I'm kind of out of the loop on Captain Marvel, but I'm wondering what the general hype train is like on that one. I know the Youtube views on the trailers seem pretty good. I think I originally predicted it to be a billion dollar film.
I don't know, I think Shazam will do more than half a mill. It quite fun from the trailer.

I know you meant the MCU Captain Marvel.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Agree with a few on here, whilst disappointing out of the gate, Poppins is gonna have legs in the January lull - saw it, was very enjoyable.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I don't see it being a break-out billion dollar hit but it should do well regardless. Maybe somewhere in the 700 mil range is what I would predict. 650 at the lowest.
And now that I've said that, a billion is guaranteed.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Lolz.

I meant 800M obviously!

But yes, I would bet any amount of money that it grosses at least 800K at the BO. Anyone want to bet?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If the movie is good and can attract females the way Wonder Woman did then I reckon $1B is perhaps in play. The film also has a pretty nice release schedule around it, there's nothing one would consider huge that could eat into it for a while. Expecting at least $800M mind you.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Aquaman is gonna make all the money.

WB is sitting on a mine bigger than Marvel's and they didn't realize all they needed was not to make those movies bad.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I was one of the people that thought $1 billion was a lock for CM, but due to the mixed reception the two trailers that have been released so far seem to be getting, I'm not so sure about that anymore...
If it's meh-ok I see it topping out at $800M, but if it's good to great, who knows?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
RT% tells you how likely someone is to like it. MC score tells you much reviewers liked it with weighted averages.

Nah. RT is literally just the percentage of critics who thought it was worth seeing.

A rotten is a "don't waste your time." A fresh can be anything from "everyone should see this" to "worth it for hardcore fans, everyone else wait for a rental".

A film could be 99% fresh with a 6.5 average rating or 99% fresh with a 9.5 average rating.

You need both to understand whether the movie is good or not.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
No one outside this forum gives a damn about Rey or any other characters in the Disney SW aside from maybe Kylo

That final duel between Aquaman and Orm was a better duel than anything in the recent films as well.

That final duel in Aquaman was forgettable as the movie. It was fun watching it but I'm definitely putting it on a Thor 1 or maybe even Thor 2 level. I enjoyed it while watching it but don't think I'll ever watch it again
I kind of feel like Mary Poppins May have legs; just saw it today and couldn't book decent seats at any theaters near Pasadena CA. Finally found a showing with 11 open seats for my relatives and I at my ArcLight and man that was a great crowd and pristine film experience.

It was really delightful.

I'm not into musicals but it was amazing people expecting Mary Poppins to have a blockbuster opening when musicals rarely have large openings. It's the amazing legs that give them strong box office numbers

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like this is a different movie with different people behind the wheel

Oh yeah. I mean what's weird about it is that I don't have an attachment to TF from the old cartoons (which was a hook for some of the original Bay audience) and I never got into the Bay movies-- so it's always been easy to ignore these. And suddenly there's one that sounds legitimately good, apart from any nostalgia for the series. I may actually watch this after having zero interesting in TF forever.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see I'm not the only noticing the amount of middle aged women wanting to see Aquaman.

Just yesterday I saw a woman passionately touching Momoa's abs on the IMAX poster at Regal.

Status
Not open for further replies.