• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There a particular reason you need to call people jokes or nah

If anything you should be asking why Firemind 'needed' to be the one who started with this tract and tone in the first place.

I'm pushing back because this dude was needlessly aggressive and derisive out of the gate and out of nowhere. I asked why. I was being civil about the whole deal until now; this is after exchanges where he repeated the laughable bit.

After a certain point mr no arguement, who started this with 'what the hell are you talking about' and (seperate subject) 'your arguement is laughable' needs to bring anything actually back up anything he says, or stop.

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shrug later then. I am sure that I apologize for nothing tho ;)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017
So, at the request of my mother who is in town for the holidays (and doesn't care about CBMs in the slightest; she saw BP before this and nothing else in that regard) I saw Aquaman today. She wanted to see it because her friend had seen it. 😮

Anyway, it was an exercise in "do no harm" while trying to be the bro-iest bro film that ever bro'd.

It wasn't good or bad...it just...was.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Aquaman was great so I would be pretty happy in it doing $1B.

But if it does $1B while Into the Spider-Verse and Bumblebee both underperform I'll be sad. Both of those are better films.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marwen is an embarrassment of a movie. It portays the main character as a complete creep and is really sexual and violent for no reason. There's a scene where the movie lingers on a doll with exposed breasts for a good 10 seconds. Every scene with violence is over the top, and not in a fun way. Just...for no reason. The final act of the movie is so oddly paced I went back and forth between 'we have another 45 minutes' and 'this is over in 2 minutes' constantly.

It's horrible. It's insulting to the person the movie is based on. It's disturbing. It's fucking BAD.
Damn :(

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Screenshot_20181226-161536_Chrome.jpg

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
It's almost like everyone who said take your time and do movies for each character before your big team up movie was right
Eh. Justice League could have had 12 lead in movies and it still would have been awful had it been released as it was.

It was a bad movie. No one wanted to see a bad movie.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Go Aquaman gooo, the more success the DC Universe has from now on will ensure Snyder never gets his hands on another tentpole hero property ever again.
Oh well the 5 people who defend those movies can have their own convention in a decade. Sorry just, ugh, what a waste of Batman and Superman.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like everyone who said take your time and do movies for each character before your big team up movie was right

Imagine how much Justice League would've made if WW, Aquabro, and Flash came first. Imagine if Snyder was told to fuck off after Man of Steel and we got a decent Superman/Batman film...

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I vote we give James Wan a Star Wars film, but make it a prequel era film so that we can preempt all the people who will bitch about the lightsaber fights being flashy and unemotional.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Spiderverse was great but it's clear the WOM just isn't there. Much lower Christmas day increase than the rest of the Top 5.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
So, at the request of my mother who is in town for the holidays (and doesn't care about CBMs in the slightest; she saw BP before this and nothing else in that regard) I saw Aquaman today. She wanted to see it because her friend had seen it. 😮

Anyway, it was an exercise in "do no harm" while trying to be the bro-iest bro film that ever bro'd.

It wasn't good or bad...it just...was.

Moms love Momoa. I saw a random interview with Diane Lane on TV once and the only thing she said was "Jason Mamoa is really handsome."

Clark gonna have a new step father
K1JGFby.jpg

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Mamoa has that look to him. Simple as that. He isn't the typical handsome you get from Hollywood

Dec 12, 2017
I enthusiastically told friends that Spiderverse is amazing and really worth seeing in a theater.

The response was, "Yeah I heard. I'll catch it on Netflix or whatever."

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
If Aquaman really does hit a billion, I don't ever want to see "but who asked for this?" as a response to a trailer ever again

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The large disparity between Metacritic and RT for everything but Spider-Verse is telling.

After cross-checking the two sites I look at RT scores like Bumblebee and my reaction is basically

3npkLdX.gif

An MC of 66 and an RT of 94 has to be one of the biggest score aggregate disparities I've ever seen.

I enthusiastically told friends that Spiderverse is amazing and really worth seeing in a theater.

Yep, same for me. People are going to sleep on it no matter what you say.

Fuckin Blade Runner 2049 all over again.

Last edited:

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Finding out Blade runner 2049 did poorly hurt me.

The movie has no right to be as good as it is and I'm just glad it exists.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what the fixation with lead in movies is to be honest. BvS and Justice League didn't need more lead in movies to perform better. One was just a poorly thought out direction where they made the most popular superhero in the world a hardcore Republican of sorts, and the other was a crap movie in all aspects that followed up on that. Had these movies actually been good, it wouldn't have been a problem. But they were clearly built around the Superman character and them trying to partially rectify whatever mistakes they'd made from Man of Steel. And Man of Steel itself was a decent enough movie where they could've rectified the key issues it had with a standalone sequel. They didn't need to build a whole trilogy around the Superman character while wasting Batman's introduction and then a big team up like Justice League. This is where they went wrong. They mishandled Batman and tried to do too much with Superman when he didn't warrant it.

At the very least, MCU knows where their bread and butter is. Iron Man has had the central role in all the Avengers movie. He's clearly the star and positioned as such. And in between his own movies, they've used Iron Man to help anchor and make other movies like Civil War and Spider-Man perform better. That shows some market savvy where they're using their most popular superhero to help others and elevate their movies to perform better.

Batman was set up by Nolan incredibly well. I'm not sure why WB was so intent on building a whole universe around Superman, or if that was just a Snyder thing, but realistically speaking, Batman had all the momentum in the world coming off The Dark Knight trilogy. Had they just made a good 2 hour Batman movie, it likely would've done close to Avengers numbers by itself. They could've just made a few solo movies and when Batman was a movie or two in, then you go and make your big Justice League movie. Point is, you already have a huge performer who's had two billion dollar movies at a time when the market wasn't what it was now. You don't need to rush things.

And then you look at the numbers Suicide Squad did despite being a crap movie, what Wonder Woman did despite being a mediocre movie, and now what Aquaman is doing, and it makes you wonder even more why they decided to sacrifice Batman at the altar of whatever this Superman plan was. I've never seen a studio shoot themselves in the foot in such a fashion while clearing having all the cards to do better than they did.

The biggest problem right now with the DCEU is they fucked up Batman majorly. While I'm sure they can still deliver a billion dollar movie with him, the fact is the first Reeves movie is going to be partly about course correcting his brand. They reduced their ceiling by delivering two hugely derided movies with Batman in them and also fucking up Joker in Suicide Squad whereas coming off Nolan, the ceiling was almost certainly higher for a good Batman movie. I wouldn't have been surprised at all at a good Batman movie throwing up $1.5 billion or something stupid like that.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
The large disparity between Metacritic and RT for everything but Spider-Verse is telling.

After cross-checking the two sites I look at RT scores like Bumblebee and my reaction is basically

3npkLdX.gif

An MC of 66 and an RT of 94 has to be one of the biggest score aggregate disparities I've ever seen.

Lord please don't compare the snoozefest that was Blade Runner 2049 with the awesome funfest that was Spiderverse.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
All I know is that James Wan is a better action director than I expected . His action and visuals in the movie was significantly better than any past dceu movie including Snyder whose only plus point was action and visuals

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I know is that James Wan is a better action director than I expected . His action and visuals in the movie was significantly better than any past dceu movie including Snyder whose only plus point was action and visuals
I want Aquaman to hit one billion dollars just so I finally nickname him The Wan Billion Man. It's gonna go past $900 million anyway from the looks of it, so a little further and it could happen.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

3npkLdX.gif

I mean it's no BR2049 in terms of limited appeal. It seems clear though that Sony had a choice: focus on the actual story and character beats or go for Zanny in a bid to appeal to kids. Unfortunately they played right into making a good chunk of their market uninterested in it by default.

That said, WOM is still fantastic, it's not like the sequel or spin off are DOA/cancelled. With better marketing the next films could do even better. 400m expected 500m thrilled were the expectation.

I hope we get a true Spider-Gwen film and maybe not just a continuation of the Spider-verse 'gimmick' as it were.

Given that SV is on its second week, and its mamchild demos are being targeted by Aqua and BB with MPR hitting it on the family front, it's not surprising that SV has the lower bump

Last edited:

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Went to the movies and the next two showings for Aquaman at two theaters were COMPLETELY sold out.

That's never happened in these theaters, and when the concierge told us they were sold out my friend and I stared at each other and said, "For fucking AQUAMAN?"

I imagine the hold for Aquaman should be pretty damn good even if it isn't as huge right out the gate. And I have no idea why.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not sure what the fixation with lead in movies is to be honest. BvS and Justice League didn't need more lead in movies to perform better. One was just a poorly thought out direction where they made the most popular superhero in the world a hardcore Republican of sorts, and the other was a crap movie in all aspects that followed up on that. Had these movies actually been good, it wouldn't have been a problem. But they were clearly built around the Superman character and them trying to partially rectify whatever mistakes they'd made from Man of Steel. And Man of Steel itself was a decent enough movie where they could've rectified the key issues it had with a standalone sequel. They didn't need to build a whole trilogy around the Superman character while wasting Batman's introduction and then a big team up like Justice League. This is where they went wrong. They mishandled Batman and tried to do too much with Superman when he didn't warrant it.

At the very least, MCU knows where their bread and butter is. Iron Man has had the central role in all the Avengers movie. He's clearly the star and positioned as such. And in between his own movies, they've used Iron Man to help anchor and make other movies like Civil War and Spider-Man perform better. That shows some market savvy where they're using their most popular superhero to help others and elevate their movies to perform better.

Batman was set up by Nolan incredibly well. I'm not sure why WB was so intent on building a whole universe around Superman, or if that was just a Snyder thing, but realistically speaking, Batman had all the momentum in the world coming off The Dark Knight trilogy. Had they just made a good 2 hour Batman movie, it likely would've done close to Avengers numbers by itself. They could've just made a few solo movies and when Batman was a movie or two in, then you go and make your big Justice League movie. Point is, you already have a huge performer who's had two billion dollar movies at a time when the market wasn't what it was now. You don't need to rush things.

And then you look at the numbers Suicide Squad did despite being a crap movie, what Wonder Woman did despite being a mediocre movie, and now what Aquaman is doing, and it makes you wonder even more why they decided to sacrifice Batman at the altar of whatever this Superman plan was. I've never seen a studio shoot themselves in the foot in such a fashion while clearing having all the cards to do better than they did.

The biggest problem right now with the DCEU is they fucked up Batman majorly. While I'm sure they can still deliver a billion dollar movie with him, the fact is the first Reeves movie is going to be partly about course correcting his brand. They reduced their ceiling by delivering two hugely derided movies with Batman in them and also fucking up Joker in Suicide Squad whereas coming off Nolan, the ceiling was almost certainly higher for a good Batman movie. I wouldn't have been surprised at all at a good Batman movie throwing up $1.5 billion or something stupid like that.
Dude it's Batman. The character will be fine. He bounced back from Batman and Robin, he'll bounce back from this.

Figuring out Superman is a bigger problem because they haven't had a loved film adaptation since 1978.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's funny to me is that Aquaman will still come in under Furious 7.
That's fine.

I just need one more movie of Wan's to hit that mark so he can be crowned deservedly.

Dude it's Batman. The character will be fine. He bounced back from Batman and Robin, he'll bounce back from this.

Figuring out Superman is a bigger problem because they haven't had a loved film adaptation since 1978.
I say he'll be fine in my post so not sure what you mean. Like, I expect they can make a billion off him regardless. My point was that they made it harder for themselves for no reason and have definitely reduced the ceiling of what a good Batman movie would do. The stink of Batman v Superman and Justice League will still be there in 2021 or whenever The Batman comes out. He doesn't have the momentum he did coming off the Nolan trilogy. The ceiling would've been higher had they done his character justice initially rather than going the hard way around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.