• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is marwen bad or just not standard popcorn flick? Looked great from the preview.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
All DC need to do to make Superman work on screen is adapt the current version of the character from Rebirth including his son.

I dont even like Supes really and I love his Rebirth comics

And yeah Batman needs to lean hard into the detective / noire side of things
There's so much potential in Superdad, and they could get there. Justice League ended with Lois and Clark getting engaged. If they don't care about the timeline, they could skip ahead to them being married with a 10 yo Jon.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Don't follow international box office too closely, but it seems kind of low in many places and mostly held up by China

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I don't think people want "smart" Batman, it would be "boring" to see him working a case for 2 hours.

Though an adaption of Arkham Asylum... where it's essentially Batman: The Raid could do gangbusters
This is the most awesome combination of any two movies ever
Insane that 900m - 1 Billion is in play for a Aquaman movie of all things.

Between how well Wonder Woman and Aquaman have done it just shows how seriously DC fucked up with their portrayals of Batman and Superman. Imagine how successful films about those 2 should be in the modern era
Kevin Feige should hang his head in shame
Disney selling Marvel to WB in 2019 confirmed
I guess we won't see X-Men and the Fantastic Four in the MCU after all...
But seriously, what kind of reality do we live in that fucking AQUAMAN might be the first DCEU movie, and the first DC movie since The Dark Knight Rises to make a billion dollars?

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Mary Poppins was definitely handled badly, but this idea that only grandparents have seen the original us weird to me. Millenials definitely watched movies like Mary Poppins as children. Also Looney Toons cartoons from the first half of the 20th century and most of the original Disney animated films like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. That stuff was on TV all the time.

Like, you don't watch movies if they are more than a few decades old?

a916

Oct 25, 2017
The reviews of Holmes and Watson are bad... way worse than I expected. It has the lowest average review I've seen in a LONG time. 1.8/10 right now.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
There's so much potential in Superdad, and they could get there. Justice League ended with Lois and Clark getting engaged. If they don't care about the timeline, they could skip ahead to them being married with a 10 yo Jon.
It did?! I have no memory of that at all :lol

I don't know what WB's problem with Superman is. It's like Donner showed them 40 years ago a path forward on Superman movies, and they've gone out of their way to do everything but that ever since. And clearly WW, Aquaman, and Shazam show that it's not like that kind of tone and direction is totally alien to WB. Hell, Nolan's Batman movies, for all the talk they get about being dark and gritty, are still entertaining crowdpleasers. Yet when it comes to Superman, the decisionmakers at WB just can't help but make the wrong calls on movie after movie.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

Don't follow international box office too closely, but it seems kind of low in many places and mostly held up by China

China is clearly boosting things a lot, but most territories are still in their first or second week, so that is still good. China is in Week 3.

Aquaman was at 488M on Sunday, so it grossed almost 70M in the past two days.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This is the most awesome combination of any two movies ever

Kevin Feige should hang his head in shame
Disney selling Marvel to WB in 2019 confirmed
I guess we won't see X-Men and the Fantastic Four in the MCU after all...
But seriously, what kind of reality do we live in that fucking AQUAMAN might be the first DCEU movie, and the first DC movie since The Dark Knight Rises to make a billion dollars?
Raid inspired Batman would be madness. It's literally what fans want, that and the detective element.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
It did?! I have no memory of that at all :lol

I don't know what WB's problem with Superman is. It's like Donner showed them 40 years ago a path forward on Superman movies, and they've gone out of their way to do everything but that ever since. And clearly WW, Aquaman, and Shazam show that it's not like that kind of tone and direction is totally alien to WB. Hell, Nolan's Batman movies, for all the talk they get about being dark and gritty, are still entertaining crowdpleasers. Yet when it comes to Superman, the decisionmakers at WB just can't help but make the wrong calls on movie after movie.
Someone, namely Frank Miller with "The Dark Knight Returns" planted the idea that Superman is an outdated, boring character in the public's mind, people who never liked the character started parroting it, and WB believed them. Almost every move DC and WB have made with Superman since then have been trying to "fix" the character.

But I say it all the time. People like Superman. People have always liked Superman. I'd say the overwhelming majority of people have some fondest for Superman. Stop trying to convince us. Superman Returns tried it by being all "Member 1978?" Man of Steel, BvS, and Justice League basically called us all ungrateful jerks for disliking Superman. Neither approaches exactly set the world on fire.

They need to get a writer and director team that understands why Superman as a character and not a symbol works and can translate that without the cynicism or desperation.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I know I'm terrible at match but is it still possible for Aquaman to reach a billy or even 900 million? Didn't exactly blow the doors this past weekend. I know legs can be crazy around this time but crazy enough for get another 450 million?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Because Zach Snyder is an edgelord who was drawn to the edgiest stories.

Imagine Zach Snyder's The Killing Joke

:shudder:
I highly doubt Snyder's version could have been worse than the animated version.
Someone, namely Frank Miller with "The Dark Knight Returns" planted the idea that Superman is an outdated, boring character in the public's mind, people who never liked the character started parroting it, and WB believed them. Almost every move DC and WB have made with Superman since then have been trying to "fix" the character.

But I say it all the time. People like Superman. People have always liked Superman. I'd say the overwhelming majority of people have some fondest for Superman. Stop trying to convince us. Superman Returns tried it by being all "Member 1978?" Man of Steel, BvS, and Justice League basically called us all ungrateful jerks for disliking Superman. Neither approaches exactly set the world on fire.

They need to get a writer and director team that understands why Superman as a character and not a symbol works and can translate that without the cynicism or desperation.
The Dark Knight Returns portrayed Superman as a tool of the government. That no matter what Superman stands for he's nothing more than a puppet for the rich in charge and he will always be on their side. Frank Miller never made him a boring character. He made him the villain.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I highly doubt Snyder's version could have been worse than the animated version.

The Dark Knight Returns portrayed Superman as a tool of the government. That no matter what Superman stands for he's nothing more than a puppet for the rich in charge and he will always be on their side. Frank Miller never made him a boring character. He made him the villain.
I'm talking less about Miller's intentions and more about what people took from it. The idea that Superman is a boring boy scout and outdated symbol of Americana started with his portrayal in TDKR and continued from there as Batman's popularity reignited in late 80s - early 90s. That may not have been Miller's intent at the time but it was a side effect of the story.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Please go and see Bumblebee. One of this year's most enjoyable and heartwarming films. So happy to finally get a good Transformers film. The opening 10 minutes is my favourite of any film this year.

Really hope Travis Knight gets Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3 now. If he can produce quality like this in first live-action film then the sky is the limit.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're aware how word of mouth works, right? Most people get to know that movies exists through marketing and people they know or follow, either through WeChat, Weibo, Youku or what have you. People use Maoyan to order tickets online. The fact that you put a great emphasis on aggegrated anonymous reviews is laughable.

Movie— Douban Rating — OWX
MCU
Doctor Strange—7.6 — 2.5
Thor Ragnarok—7.4 — 2.1
SHC—7.1 — 1.7 (1.67)
BP—6.4 — 1.6

DCU:
WW—7.1– 2.4
MoS—6.9– 2.4
BvS—6.7– 1.7 (1.718)
JL—6.5– 2.1

There are other factors to consider such as the time of year and other releases eroding mindshare and screens but in general there is something of a relationship that can be observed in China.

Are you attempting to make a correlation does not equal causation arguement? Ignoring that something doesn't have to be the causal source to be an indicator representative of it?

Or

Are you just that very specific level of white hot blazing stupid to not that understand that user rankings through the biggest user aggregate sites and (one of) the biggest online ticket vendor in China is reflective of WOM? On top of completely dismissing any impact that colour coded user rankings can have on impulse/browse ticket buying for group purchases.

Aquaman outscored Venom, which up to that point had the best CBM Maoyan score. Funny how Aquaman opened smaller but ended up having a massive bump during OW and is now poised to overtake Venom.

I'm going to assume that your 'list the social media apps in china' tirade Is a quick bit of Google fu to try and buy credibility.

Tell me why it's laughable to place importance on Moayan. Show me examples numerous enough to suggest the upending the general understanding that better user scores tends to = stronger legs.

Until you do that, you are exactly the joke you appear to be. A joke that has gotten BTFO three times (SMB/maoyan 'critics'/'spider-man bias') with only this last lifeline of 'why you look at user scores tho' hanging.

Maoyan specific is preferable, thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I know I'm terrible at match but is it still possible for Aquaman to reach a billy or even 900 million? Didn't exactly blow the doors this past weekend. I know legs can be crazy around this time but crazy enough for get another 450 million?

It was 488M after this weekend, but made another 69M in the past 2 days. Aquaman is probably looking at at least another 90M domestically between today and Sunday. Probably something similar overseas. Holiday box office ramps up quick.

I was looking at comparisons with JL and other DCEU films, and I think that I will hop on the $1B train. It isn't locked, but if Aquaman misses 1B, it won't be by a ton. I think closer to 1B than 900M is looking probable.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Is marwen bad or just not standard popcorn flick? Looked great from the preview.
Marwen is an embarrassment of a movie. It portays the main character as a complete creep and is really sexual and violent for no reason. There's a scene where the movie lingers on a doll with exposed breasts for a good 10 seconds. Every scene with violence is over the top, and not in a fun way. Just...for no reason. The final act of the movie is so oddly paced I went back and forth between 'we have another 45 minutes' and 'this is over in 2 minutes' constantly.

It's horrible. It's insulting to the person the movie is based on. It's disturbing. It's fucking BAD.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
i wonder if Aquaman success means Cyborg and Green Lantern corps will actually happen

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Please go and see Bumblebee. One of this year's most enjoyable and heartwarming films. So happy to finally get a good Transformers film. The opening 10 minutes is my favourite of any film this year.

Really hope Travis Knight gets Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3 now. If he can produce quality like this in first live-action film then the sky is the limit.

The best movie I seen in quite sometime.

Universal should have released this 5 years after The Last Knight.

I am sure Bays movies affected Bumblebee. What an amazing movie being tarnished by the dark timeline of the movies.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Marwen is an embarrassment of a movie. It portays the main character as a complete creep and is really sexual and violent for no reason. There's a scene where the movie lingers on a doll with exposed breasts for a good 10 seconds. Every scene with violence is over the top, and not in a fun way. Just...for no reason. The final act of the movie is so oddly paced I went back and forth between 'we have another 45 minutes' and 'this is over in 2 minutes' constantly.

It's horrible. It's insulting to the person the movie is based on. It's disturbing. It's fucking BAD.

I haven't seen it so I can't say, but whenever people reacted to the trailer and basically went "awww , that looks like a sweet feel good movie" I always guffawed. The trailers came off as distinctly creepy. All it ever gave me were creepy harem anime vibes

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
From Deadline

Warners' marketing plan worked: Aquaman grossed $105.7M over the five-day holiday (including previews), winning females over in a big way with F25+ giving the DC superhero pic its best gender score of 84% on ComScore/Screen Engine's PostTrak plus its best definite recommend of any gender demo at 71%. Moms turned out in greater numbers than Dads, 56% to 44% and enjoyed Aquaman more, 91% to 85%. Women also graded Aquaman with an A- CinemaScore, a number that was equal to men.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquama...E1bLMlfXj5AAPGrLNrLOehE-ZAXyQDI6CeKQcppVJGFOg

Learning about Moms 4 Momoa has been an extra treat

moms-momoa.png

Last edited:

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Way back in 1986 I was a wee little three year old with a Transformers obsession and a 21 year old dad who loved the Marvel UK TF comics so we went to see the 80's TF movie in the cinema when it came out. This friday we are going to see Bumblebee together and I cant wait.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very happy to see Aquaman do well. So much of the movie's success is thanks to Momoa. His personality and charisma is just so infectious, and I really believe his personal background adds a lot to his character. Had they cast another actor that matched Aquaman's blonde hair and blue eye look, I don't think it would have been nearly as successful--or fun.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
It's almost like everyone who said take your time and do movies for each character before your big team up movie was right

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I have some weird hope for Dumbo. Something tells me that movie is gonna be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.