• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow at that Aquaman number for Christmas. WoM is clearly really strong for it

I'm genuinely happy it's doing so well.

DStubbs

Oct 28, 2017
The vibe I got at my showing for Aquaman last night was pretty positive. Folks seemed like they were having a good time. The movie definitely has it's faults but it's a crowd pleaser for sure. I'm thinking Aquaman is gonna have a pretty solid run.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
The studio may or may not see it that way.

I mean, it doesn't even have "Transformers" in the title, it has a muted budget by series standards, and the studio has repeatedly referred to it as a "spinoff." I'm sure they had lower expectations. I'm sure they were still hoping for more, but they weren't expecting traditional TF numbers.

Bumblebee will pass 100M, and have a shot at grossing its production budget domestically. Still low by Franchise standards, but it has to pay for Bay.

Cool, thanks for the info. Christmas seems like a healthy increase over Monday, so that should maybe be a good sign.

Dec 12, 2017
I mean, it doesn't even have "Transformers" in the title, it has a muted budget by series standards, and the studio has repeatedly referred to it as a "spinoff." I'm sure they had lower expectations. I'm sure they were still hoping for more, but they weren't expecting traditional TF numbers

I think we are in agreement, it was never gonna hit traditional TF numbers. Even with that said, these numbers are well below those so I wonder if the studio will view this film as a success at the end of the day.

I have no idea what their internal expectations are.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I think we are in agreement, it was never gonna hit traditional TF numbers. Even with that said, these numbers are well below those so I wonder if the studio will view this film as a success at the end of the day.

Yeah, we'll have to wait to see how the final gross plays out, especially as there are still key markets the movie needs to open in that could vary greatly in gross (China is sort of a question mark. Maybe Japan, too).

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

That's really it. TLK crater the franchise. Flick did 130mil and this is coming fairly close after it. If it skirts to 110-120mil Dom, that could be considered good given what it is following. Reboot the franchise as a lower budget set vs the 217mil budget TLK had.[/QUOTE]

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

As a movie it probably will be seen as a bit of a disappointment, but of course for Hasbro a big thing is the toy/merch sales. GI Joe barely made much the first time around but the toy sales were solid so they pushed ahead for a sequel.

Hasbro also is pushing harder it's licensing and making money off their IPs. While all their departments have been seeing declines and losses, they have been making bank more than ever on licensing deals, and because of that they have been saying they are trying to become an IP company, since the toy market has been shriveling.

Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, we'll have to wait to see how the final gross plays out, especially as there are still key markets the movie needs to open in that could vary greatly in gross (China is sort of a question mark. Maybe Japan, too).
I really hope they have the right takeaways because I have no interest in the Bay brand of TFs and if they return to that, count me out.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
So, with domestic almost certainly flirting with $300M, if not outright passing it, I think that we have enough data to say that Aquaman will pass BvS worldwide. 900M looks like the lower end of things. We will know this weekend if $1B is likely.

Dec 12, 2017
So, with domestic almost certainly flirting with $300M, if not outright passing it, I think that we have enough data to say that Aquaman will pass BvS worldwide. 900M looks like the lower end of things. We will know this weekend if $1B is likely.

It's amazing we are even talking $1B scenarios for a movie about Aquaman.

Nov 1, 2017
Thought the most cold-blooded part of Deadline's article, not even Netflix wanted to touch Holmes and Watson

DvWzDa5WwAI0EMs.jpg

WOW

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
That is sort of good to hear, at least. Spidey Verse had $90 mil budget right? I wonder if Sony will cheap out on SV2

woof :/
Lower budget for sure but I don't think they'll go cheap on it.
Cloudy with a Chance of meatballs made $243MM on a budget of $100MM. Cloudy 2 made $273MM on a $78MM budget. Spider-Verse will probably crawl to Cloudy's gross take on a similar budget.

I don't think Sony would hurt Spider-Verse 2, given Spider-Man is a tentpole franchise for them. At least, I hope.

That all female spin-off is probably dead though. If animated Spider-Man can't pull in a decent gross, no chance the all female spin goes ahead.

Cinderella, Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast did well but everything else live action they've produced recently has flopped. Disney ain't going away anytime soon due to the Star Wars, Marvel and Animation gravy train but live action has never been their Box Office strong suit.

They can afford to make the Mary Poppins and Christopher Robins because of it and that content has legs for years on home video so it's not a bad position to be in but if they were less diversified as a business without marquee acquisitions they would be in Sony Pictures or Paramount territory as a studio: creatively and literally near bankruptcy.
Paramount isn't creatively bankrupt. Just poor mismanagement. Once they eventually merge back with CBS, the combined entity has plenty of tentpole franchises to tap into. Also the fact they aren't tapping into Nickelodeon more is just asinine.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
If you had even cursory knowledge on the market you'd know that social media is heavily integrated; more so than in the west. That service in particular can have a noticeable effect on a films performance. As such, user scores are very relevant to a films performance in China.
You're aware how word of mouth works, right? Most people get to know that movies exists through marketing and people they know or follow, either through WeChat, Weibo, Youku or what have you. People use Maoyan to order tickets online. The fact that you put a great emphasis on aggegrated anonymous reviews is laughable.

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe Aquaman might actually be the biggest hit DC movie since The Dark Knight Rises.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see what Wan does next. We know he's not doing Conjuring 3.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Insane that 900m - 1 Billion is in play for a Aquaman movie of all things.

Between how well Wonder Woman and Aquaman have done it just shows how seriously DC fucked up with their portrayals of Batman and Superman. Imagine how successful films about those 2 should be in the modern era

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Between how well Wonder Woman and Aquaman have done it just shows how seriously DC fucked up with their portrayals of Batman and Superman. Imagine how successful films about those 2 should be in the modern era

I won't defend their decision, but also Batman and Superman just came with a lot of baggage where there are some fairly iconic versions of the characters drilled into the mainstream. So I'll give them some props for at least trying something new/different with the characters.

And I am a bit bias as someone who enjoys MoS/BvS, but clearly it isn't what the mainstream audience wanted out of those properties, and I hope they know that now.

Leave the experimenting to the DC Universe movies... if that ever becomes a thing.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Reeves Batman, if its as good as it should be, is an easy Billion. Even with the villains being Penguin and Riddler.

I'm hoping he uses subsequent movies to shine the light on the Batfamily.

I hope Wan returns for the Aquaman sequel. Tighten up the jokes and have less going on, but maintain the insane visuals, scale and action. Happy for Mamoa, hope his breakout film hits that billion.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I really would not appreciate it if they gave Superman and Batman the Aquaman treatment. It works for Aquaman, but not for those two. Superman 1978 and Batman 1989 already exist.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Hopefully the penny will drop on Warner Bros DCU doesnt need to be dark and depressing. Why they started their cinematic universe with Dark Knight Returns and Death of Superman I'll never know.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

A movie about a dude that talks to fish is about outgross BvS and Justice League.

Goddamn, Snyder, you fucked up.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

the modern era...the TDK trilogy just ended 6 years ago! :P

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I really would not appreciate it if they gave Superman and Batman the Aquaman treatment. It works for Aquaman, but not for those two. Superman 1978 and Batman 1989 already exist.
The new Batman needs to lean hard into the detective/noir side of the character. Not necessarily go full "DARKNESS! NO PARENTS!" but I agree it doesn't need to be Aquaman level crazy.

Superman? I don't even know. They have to go in a direction that somehow doesn't trend similar ground to both Donner and Synder's takes while also not being too much like Aquaman.

the modern era...the TDK trilogy just ended 6 years ago! :P
Dude some people forget Wonder Woman came out last year. Six years ago was a lifetime away.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nuts
Im happy for Momoa

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WB must be praising the gods that WW bailed them out after BvS and now Aquaman is doing it again after JL.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All DC need to do to make Superman work on screen is adapt the current version of the character from Rebirth including his son.

I dont even like Supes really and I love his Rebirth comics

And yeah Batman needs to lean hard into the detective / noire side of things

Status
Not open for further replies.