• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a problem Disney will face in the future as well they have wayyyy to much content they have to release. at some point you can't see it all and some films fall to the side.

Agreed: Disney itself hasn't performed all that well with their original productions for a while now. Marvel, Pixar, Animation and Star Wars keep them afloat with cash to try cool stuff like MPR but pretty much everything released by Disney Studios has bombed recently from Tomorrowland to Nutcracker, Wrinkle in Time, Christoper Robin and now Mary Poppins.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I never said 'critics'. Spider-man was a short hand for the animated Spider-verse in this case... and you do know that moayana is a user review platform, correct? That the score being talked about is the user score?
Who gives a fuck then? That's like using imdb or metacritic user ratings as a source. Stop doing that because it's irrelevant.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman was a visual stunner, with some of the best action sequences I've seen in a blockbuster in a long time. Story, and writing though... Ehhhhhh... Also the length was a little too long. But I wasn't complaining about time when it reached the big third act action set piece. It truly delivered there, as it went from one insane moment to another, all capped off with a great hero Vs. Villain duel.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
So Aquaman is getting an extended run until the start of February in China. Its already grossed 240 million over there and has no competition. So what do we think, 280 or 300 million ceiling?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is Mary Poppins a good movie? I'm kinda interested on it, but never watched the original, so I don't know if I should watch both movies or stick with the original

KingFox

May 17, 2018
Sony really crapped the bed with The Girl in the Spider's Web: A New Dragon Tattoo Story didn't they. It couldn't even match its 43M budget at the boxoffice. By 10M. Even that god-awful Slender Man movie managed to bring in 50M for them.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Is Mary Poppins a good movie? I'm kinda interested on it, but never watched the original, so I don't know if I should watch both movies or stick with the original

It's good, but it's essentially a remake of the original posing as a sequel. I'd see the old one first, and if you want more whimsy, see the new one after. The songs in the original beat the new one hands down. The new one has more fantastical effects.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I watched it for Blunt wich was fantastic in it

I kinda hated everything else, music did nothing for me neither did the story

I was really bored honestly

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-verse was decent for an animated movie. Not sure it's a good kids movie though, which is probably why it's not doing so well.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who gives a fuck then? That's like using imdb or metacritic user ratings as a source. Stop doing that because it's irrelevant.

What's your actual motivation here.

If you had even cursory knowledge on the market you'd know that social media is heavily integrated; more so than in the west. That service in particular can have a noticeable effect on a films performance. As such, user scores are very relevant to a films performance in China.

Again, what's your actual motivation here. Are you a duplicate account? I can't recall seeing your name around and this is a little out of left field.

Last edited:

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Aquaman was really fun. It's like Black Panther, but corny and kind of dumb, but with better action. The middle of the movie is way overstuffed but the third act was pretty good.

The theatre was packed at the latest showing as well, and I heard a couple of claps, so I think it'll do pretty well here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it for Blunt wich was fantastic in it

I kinda hated everything else, music did nothing for me neither did the story

I was really bored honestly
Ha, I had the opposite reaction. I was surprisingly into the Banks story and liked Lin Manuel, but did not really like Mary Poppins much at all. Though not because of Blunt's performance, I just think Mary Poppins is kind of a jerk.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed: Disney itself hasn't performed all that well with their original productions for a while now. Marvel, Pixar, Animation and Star Wars keep them afloat with cash to try cool stuff like MPR but pretty much everything released by Disney Studios has bombed recently from Tomorrowland to Nutcracker, Wrinkle in Time, Christoper Robin and now Mary Poppins.

Christopher Robin bombed?

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Bumblebee and Aquaman were both terrific movies. Hopefully both do well enough for sequels. What I wouldn't give for an all-CG Transformers movie in the vein of the Cybertron scenes. /drool

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I feel like you may have answered this already... these are all estimates since the weekend

When will actual numbers be released and is there usually big corrections?

Disney, Universal and Fox already released weekend actuals. The other 3 big studios may just keep estimates until after new years.

However, I wouldn't expect much of an adjustment. Unlike Sunday, where most of the shows for the day haven't even started when the weekend estimates go out, these are going to be based on all of the actual electronic data from the big chains. And a projection from the smaller independent exhibitioners.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Disney, Universal and Fox already released weekend actuals. The other 3 big studios may just keep estimates until after new years.

However, I wouldn't expect much of an adjustment. Unlike Sunday, where most of the shows for the day haven't even started when the weekend estimates go out, these are going to be based on all of the actual electronic data from the big chains. And a projection from the smaller independent exhibitioners.

Oh thank you for that.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Aquaman scores the sixth biggest Xmas gross of all time, behind the three Star Wars films, Avatar, and Sherlock Holmes (which opened on Xmas on a year when the Holiday was on a Friday).

Nov 13, 2017
There were like three weeks after Thanksgiving we're nothing was playing in theaters. Sony was so stupid it to move Spider-Verse up. Aquaman is sucking all the superhero air out of the room.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The sequel will happen. Not sure about the spin-off. I could see that being put on hold until they see how Spider-verse 2 goes.

That is sort of good to hear, at least. Spidey Verse had $90 mil budget right? I wonder if Sony will cheap out on SV2

There were like three weeks after Thanksgiving we're nothing was playing in theaters. Sony was so stupid it to move Spider-Verse up. Aquaman is sucking all the superhero air out of the room.

woof :/

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of their live action animated movie remakes do very well.

Lion King next year may very well outgross Avengers and Star Wars for example.

Cinderella, Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast did well but everything else live action they've produced recently has flopped. Disney ain't going away anytime soon due to the Star Wars, Marvel and Animation gravy train but live action has never been their Box Office strong suit.

They can afford to make the Mary Poppins and Christopher Robins because of it and that content has legs for years on home video so it's not a bad position to be in but if they were less diversified as a business without marquee acquisitions they would be in Sony Pictures or Paramount territory as a studio: creatively and literally near bankruptcy.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Thought the most cold-blooded part of Deadline's article, not even Netflix wanted to touch Holmes and Watson

DvWzDa5WwAI0EMs.jpg

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how bad it is. John C Reilly and Will Ferrel given freedom to do shit should be easy to be halfway decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.