• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmAnAgnostic

Nov 2, 2017
That Aquaman number doesn't seem to be that good, or am I missing something? I mean its doing ok, but opened with less than Suicide Squad, BvS and WW by far and even less than Justice League.. So the least of any of the new DC movies?

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
That Aquaman number doesn't seem to be that good, or am I missing something? I mean its doing ok, but opened with less than Suicide Squad, BvS and WW by far and even less than Justice League.. So the least of any of the new DC movies?
Apart from being released in December holiday period , it has way more competition than of those previous movies

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Won the Xmas movie battle easily amidst tough competition and gave Disney a rare poor December. More importantly gave the DCEU a much needed lifeline.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose it's the time of year. January is typically a quiet month, and I think the only viable competition is Glass? I wouldn't expect December to do huge numbers, but i would expect decent legs rather than falling off a cliff like other DC films.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
It will drop like fuck.
But Bee and Poppins will rise

The talk of Bumblee being this great reinvention of Transformers is hilarious when the trailers look like the same old garbage from before. The marketing does not reflect perceived film quality, and that's the it's is dying a slow death. People have better things to do than watch a poorly marketed film over Christmas.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope DC locks up Wan for the Aquaman sequel. He did such a good job I'd be worried about it in someone else's hands

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Wan should leverage his Aquaman success to hook his buddy Leigh Whannel with some big budget comic property at the big studios, and the more violent bloody one the better .

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Hope DC locks up Wan for the Aquaman sequel. He did such a good job I'd be worried about it in someone else's hands

Aquaman was visually stunning but some of the dialogue was really rough. If Wan staid on as an active producer and brought in another director, like he's done with the Conjuring films, that'd be okay with me.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman seems to be pretty big in the Netherlands.

dutchk3dp2.png

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman was visually stunning but some of the dialogue was really rough. If Wan staid on as an active producer and brought in another director, like he's done with the Conjuring films, that'd be okay with me.
That sounds like a writing/script issue. You can keep Wan and just get better writers.
Yeah, Wan just being a producer doesn't mean shit lol. His direction was one of the highlights of Aquaman

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ended up missing Aquaman because someone shit themselves while vomiting in the theater in the previous screening and they had to get a biohazard team to clean it up.

When you gotta go you gotta go*

Which tracking are you talking about?
Which tracking are you talking about?

3 day.

Looks like Aquaman actuals are already out and a smudge higher than the estimates.

Spider-verse is keeping us in suspense, but Rth leaked approx sat actuals. Spider-verse was estimated at 6.2-6.3 SAT for BOM but Rths Sat # for it is 6.9m.

That's high enough over the Saturday estimates that Spider-verse should beat 16.6m weekend tracking. It could end up coming in closer to the 19m that BOP estimated for it a week ago.

Merry Christmas kswiston, thankyou for all of your hard work, consistency, passion, and tolerance of our bafoonery, both in general fanboy clashing and (sometimes uniformed) hot takes :p

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like Aquaman is already outgrossing Spider in dailys in China

Shame

Part of the 'issue' is that there is a against animated film in China. It has gotten review bombed by idiot who feel threatened by it.

That said, Aquaman out grossing Spider-man this soon isn't unexpected. Verse is bouncing like a SH film that opened like an animated film in China.

Aquaman opened close to Venom and has done slightly better from there.

With Aquaman beasting there's still room for a number 2 movie to flourish (look at A Cool Fish and Venom from earlier as both films did extremely well).

+2 OWx is still likely, probably closer to 60-70m end of run unless the review bombing caps it. This is, quite good for a toon in China. It could unthrone the 14th highest grossing animated feature there, and near unanimously positive WOM the world over should bode well for a sequel.

And the local films are all of poorer quality + Totorro doing well may be helping by osmosis to give Spiderverse a shot.

But the bigger concern is Z master taking showings from the other side, imo. Currently holds the second best PTA ahead of Spiderverse with half the showings.

http://english.entgroup.cn/boxoffice/cn/daily/

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the 'issue' is that there is a against animated film in China. It has gotten review bombed by idiot who feel threatened by it.

That said, Aquaman out grossing Spider-man this soon isn't unexpected. Verse is bouncing like a SH film that opened like an animated film in China.

With Aquaman beasting there's still room for a number 2 movie to flourish (look at A Cool Fish and Venom from earlier). +2 OWx is still likely, probably closer to 60-70m end of run unless the review bombing caps it. This is, quite good for a toon in China. It could unthrone the 14th highest grossing animated feature there, and near unanimously positive WOM the world over should bode well for a sequel.

Threatened by Spider-Man?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Threatened by Spider-Man?

Spider-verse

I haven't checked where it is now, but a few days ago It got review bombed to 9.0 with an influx of takes that are the worst scores, just calling people who like it stupid because it's animated, and not a real movie.

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, was not expecting Poppins to flop. I thought the Beauty and the Beast/Into the Woods crowd would save it.

And holy shit, DC made Aquaman work. Impressive, granted they needed to lose the Synder stink.

Aquaman and Antman are half a billion dollar IPs now.

giphy.gif
Aquaman isn't done it's run, so putting it in the pool with Antman isn't fair. I'm thinking it will be higher than Suicide Squad in the end.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
d2Dq8wl.jpg

Deadline reported 6.1M for Poppins, which is well over the 4.85M using my 40% typical drop from yesterday's sample projection. Tomorrow will give us a clear idea of how things will go with it.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still extremely surprised Coco broke out and smashed in China.

Right? Coco did very well in a lot of markets, it has numerous markets where the opening was < 10% of its total run.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=pixar1117.htm

Edit: sorry about the double post I meant to edit this in to my old post.

d2Dq8wl.jpg

Deadline reported 6.1M for Poppins, which is well over the 4.85M using my 40% typical drop from yesterday's sample projection. Tomorrow will give us a clear idea of how things will go with it.

Poppins barely dropped on Sunday (-5.5%!). While not opening to expectations (realistic or otherwise) it is finding its holiday audience. People saying 'Mary floppins' may have spoken too soon. (Duh :p)

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I actually liked Mary Poppins and thought Marshall did a good job with it more often than not. It'd be a shame if bombed, but it sounds like those takes were premature anyway maybe?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually liked Mary Poppins and thought Marshall did a good job with it more often than not. It'd be a shame if bombed, but it sounds like those takes were premature anyway maybe?

Nearly everyone is premature with their takes during the holidays. I'd blame all the yearly Christmas StarWars releases. People were too used to Monstrous openings, ignored less nerd core films legging and thought that SW legs were just because 'its StarWars'. Other films (Jumanji, Showman) were seen as total exceptions instead of exceptional standouts proving the rule

Edit: Spider-verse is having some great holds INT

"Overall, the webslinger snared $38Mthis weekend from 29,000+ screens in 53 markets. The international cume is now $64.8M. The Bob Persichetti/Peter Ramsey/Rodney Rothman-helmed pic that's co-scripted by Phil Lord saw some great holds heading into the holidays including: the Philippines (+21%), Portugal (+6%), Israel (-11%), Australia (-20%), Malaysia (-24%), the UK (-25%), Switzerland (-29%), Germany (-32%) and Vietnam (-32%)"

— Deadline

Last edited:

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
How many more territories does Ralph have to open in?

Also, is Mortal Engines confirmed bomb of the year? $12m domestic so far with a $100m budget and already out of the top 10 is really bad.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Aquaman isn't done it's run, so putting it in the pool with Antman isn't fair. I'm thinking it will be higher than Suicide Squad in the end.
I meant more like THAT GUY HAS A MOVIE?

Like telling yourself that a decade ago that Antman and Aquaman would have movies that would be Smash hits would be insane.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I meant more like THAT GUY HAS A MOVIE?

Like telling yourself that a decade ago that Antman and Aquaman would have movies that would be Smash hits would be insane.
Also, imagine informing someone a decade ago that a film series (GotG 1-2) with a talking tree, a badass raccoon, and a WWE super star, would out gross two movies (BvS, JL) with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman in them. You'd be institutionalised lol.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't get over how much of a bomba Mary Poppins is.

I asked why the hell Disney released Nutcracker so early and people were telling me it was to make room for Mary Poppins. Whole lot of good that did.
well you really cant replace julie andrews as mary poppins. that and the movie saving mr. banks probably didnt do much favors to the movie.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A (sub 100m dom) film from 5 years ago that, in place of holding onto the past in all it's ugly specificity, argues it's better to give up those parts of yourself to be reinterpreted in service of a positive message, to be given to others, isn't going to have much of an effect on this film imo.

If anything the film appealed to MP/Disney stans for reinforcing the magic of Disney.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.