• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see Aquaman continuing to do well in China. Hopefully it can post some good domestic holds as well.

I don't understand how anyone could be saying that with a straight face. Takes like yours are so off putting that it makes me kinda ashamed to say that I loved Aquaman. Like I've said on the DCEU thread, DCEU fans need to get better with winning. Aquaman is a success, some people don't like it and wish Bumblebee and Spider-Verse get more spotlight. That's fair, and with success you also need to learn how to win and be a good sport on situations like this.

In short, what I'm saying is: stop embarassing me and certainly others that loved Aquaman as well with this non-sense. It's okay that not all people enjoyed Aquaman. No, Aquaman isn't the second coming, Aquaman isn't better than the Star Wars OT and NT films either. But it's certainly awesome. I'm stoked to watch Bumblebee later this week and Spider-Verse in January 10 when it opens around here. I do hope those films get more word of mouth, and that DC fans learn to be good sports so people won't be put off watching what I think it's a legit excellent superhero film with a lot of spectacle. Learn to have nice things.

...I'm unsure why you're saying all of this in response to me. I loved Spider-Verse, too, and I want that film to do well. I think Bumblebee looks great even though I haven't seen it yet. All I did was offer my take that I think I enjoyed Aquaman more than any Star Wars movie since ROTJ. I don't know why you find my opinion on that embarrassing.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
For those of you who haven't followed along in past holiday seasons, and are wondering why everything is bombing, here is a demonstrative projection on how the holidays help.

Mary Poppins grossed just over 8M on Sunday as part of its 23.5M three day opening and 32M five day opening. People are right that a gross of that nature would typically be terrible. However, we are heading into the holidays.

The expected drop for today is going to be 40% or so. Christmas day itself has no huge openers, so expect the the same gross as Sunday or better. Being quite conservative, let's say $13M combined. Around 45M total.

Wednesday and Thursday are typically even stronger than Xmas (especially for films with family appeal), so at least 16M, putting the the total in the low 60s.

When Christmas falls on a Tuesday or Wednesday, films can often stay flat or increase on their post xmas weekend. Worst case scenario here is going to be -20% for something like Mary Poppins with no previews inflating last Fri-Sun. Let's say roughly 20M, with a total just over 80M now (through Dec 30th).

New Years Eve in this configuration is stronger than Christmas Eve, and most films will make more next Monday than today. New Year's Day is typically not as strong as Xmas. Averaged out, let's call a typical scenario -10% for NYE+NYD over Xmas Eve + Xmas. This is roughly $12M more.

Kids start going back to school after that, so the weekdays drop rapidly. Lets say $5M for Wed/Thurs Jan 2/3. Down at least 2/3rds.

An expected drop in the following weekend, with a few opening films, would be 45%. In our case $11M.

So to add things up using rounded numbers:

Dec 19-23: 32M
Dec 24-25: 13M
Dec 26-27: 16M
Dec 28-30: 20M
Dec 31-Jan 1: 12M
Jan 2-3: 5M
Jan 4-6: 11M

Total after third weekend: $109M

After which, you would expect another $20M+ depending on late legs.

Keeping in mind this is a scenario where Mary Poppins just had mediocre holds all holiday and does not break out at all.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Blue Beatle seems as it'll be a lot more likely to happen soon rather than a Flash movie.
Flash is going to happen. It was all set to start production next year but it got delayed due to Erza needing to film FB3 (a decision WB might be regretting right now).

As for Blue Beetle, I think it and New Gods are the DC films currently in the script phase most likely to get the go ahead in 2019.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
For those of you who haven't followed along in past holiday seasons, and are wondering why everything is bombing, here is a demonstrative projection on how the holidays help.

Mary Poppins grossed just over 8M on Sunday as part of its 23.5M three day opening and 32M five day opening. People are right that a gross of that nature would typically be terrible. However, we are heading into the holidays.

The expected drop for today is going to be 40% or so. Christmas day itself has no huge openers, so expect the the same gross as Sunday or better. Being quite conservative, let's say $13M combined. Around 45M total.

Wednesday and Thursday are typically even stronger than Xmas (especially for films with family appeal), so at least 16M, putting the the total in the low 60s.

When Christmas falls on a Tuesday or Wednesday, films can often stay flat or increase on their post xmas weekend. Worst case scenario here is going to be -20% for something like Mary Poppins with no previews inflating last Fri-Sun. Let's say roughly 20M, with a total just over 80M now (through Dec 30th).

New Years Eve in this configuration is stronger than Christmas Eve, and most films will make more next Monday than today. New Year's Day is typically not as strong as Xmas. Averaged out, let's call a typical scenario -10% for NYE+NYD over Xmas Eve + Xmas. This is roughly $12M more.

Kids start going back to school after that, so the weekdays drop rapidly. Lets say $5M for Wed/Thurs Jan 2/3. Down at least 2/3rds.

An expected drop in the following weekend, with a few opening films, would be 45%. In our case $11M.

So to add things up using rounded numbers:

Dec 19-23: 32M
Dec 24-25: 13M
Dec 26-27: 16M
Dec 28-30: 20M
Dec 31-Jan 1: 12M
Jan 2-3: 5M
Jan 4-6: 11M

Total after third weekend: $109M

After which, you would expect another $20M+ depending on late legs.

Keeping in mind this is a scenario where Mary Poppins just had mediocre holds all holiday and does not break out at all.

Do you think Bumblebee will be able to leg it to $100m?

Oct 25, 2017
Think it's gonna be a while before we get any non-SS/BOP team up movies unfortunately
I want a live-action Teen Titans :(

We've got that on DC Universe, though, and it's great.

I think a Legion of SuperHeroes movie would be really cool for one of DC's next projects beyond what they have announced, especially since the far future setting means you don't need to really tie it in to anything until you want to throw in some time travel once everything is firmly set up.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is. Because nothing in the modern era of film has performed like The Greatest Showman, regardless of the genre. Opening weekend was 5% of the total, and it launched ultra wide.

As someone who was actually in the theater on said opening day...yeah I was writing that movie's obituary on my way out the door.

I must have tripped and zapped it with lightning or something.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
The one bright spot of Solo was that it set up
Darth Maul
to return in the films and they'd be a perfect villain for Vader.
Yeah I felt like that should have been the first 15 minutes then have a young solo resque mission or something involving that. The solo movie we got just seemed pointless.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who was actually in the theater on said opening day...yeah I was writing that movie's obituary on my way out the door.

I must have tripped and zapped it with lightning or something.
Could you go back in time a bit and zap the new suspiria? lol I saw that in the theater with like 4 people total. That movie was out of cinemas quick.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Could you go back in time a bit and zap the new suspiria? lol I saw that in the theater with like 4 people total. That movie was out of cinemas quick.

Should have reached me a few weeks ago, I already used up my powers on Pokemon the Movie: The Power of Us.

I also don't really do spook movies. Sorry Suspiria and Hereditary.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
No one outside this forum gives a damn about Rey or any other characters in the Disney SW aside from maybe Kylo

Would love to see the full results of this survey you conducted

I really think if they could make a great star wars movie like esb now, people would go nuts for it. I think there is still a ton of interest in sw but the movies so far have definitely killed some of the hype.

Solo notwithstanding, Disney's SW movies have been giant hits. If IX crashes and burns we can prob reevaluate the health of the franchise...but I don't think anyone really expects IX to bomb either, which probably says something about how healthy the series is!

Flash is going to happen. It was all set to start production next year but it got delayed due to Erza needing to film FB3 (a decision WB might be regretting right now).

The real kicker is Ezra is the worst part of the FB series.

Whedon truly is a hack
Guy was tasked with remaking Snyder's movie in like 6 months. That movie was a mess but it doesn't seem fair to lay it at Whedon's feet. Or Snyder's even. I can't say I probably would have liked his version, but I can't judge the final product as either a Snyder or Whedon film. Justice League is purely WB's hackjob.

Last edited:

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Should have reached me a few weeks ago, I already used up my powers on Pokemon the Movie: The Power of Us.

I also don't really do spook movies. Sorry Suspiria and Hereditary.
Damn, you made your choice and I respect it.

My first reaction was holy crap there was a Suspiria movie this year!
lik dis if u cri erytime😭

The suspiria remake is weird, kinda long, but still good I think. gosh darn it.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With Uncharted losing its latest director, Sony (?) tossing money at him to direct would be interesting. Aquaman has shades of that sort of adventure movie.

I need to read up on that and glean the details behind the split. It sounded like (for once) everyone was on the same page for the approach it would take. I hope this doesn't endanger the rumoured Tom Holland/Bryan Cranston casting.

Edit: sounds like scheduling and/or choosing the RyanReynolds project instead

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-12-20-the-uncharted-movie-loses-its-director

Shame as he is a very competent director and I am more interested in the current pitch and actors attached/rumoured than I ever was in its previous incarnations.

Last edited:

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 28, 2017

As for Blue Beetle, I think it and New Gods are the DC films currently in the script phase most likely to get the go ahead in 2019.
Ava DuVernay was teasing New Gods on twitter recently so that film might be further along in development than we may think. If Aquaman performs well in the end, WB will probably be more encouraged to go through with New Gods.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Even though my wife is a huge Mary Poppins fan, I personally never bought into the hype. Even my wife was very skeptical of this movie.

But we did end up taking the family out to see it last night. The theater wasn't full. I thought the movie was just OK, as did my wife.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
New Gods would also be another big visually extravagant project like Aquaman, I'm really interested to see them go through with it.

New Gods has a couple directions it could take. Going full wild with it or something simpler. I'm anticipating something simpler.

Barda as the lead with Scott Free as the partner. Granny Goodness and Furies as the main villains. Darkseid as this Emperor, Sauron, type figure who looms over the story but indirectly.

Nov 30, 2017
Pretty sure that Etc has fought over the best way to wipe one's ass. So no.

Asswipe fanboys? Humanity really was a mistake

Interesting question. Let's argue about it.

Lol

I think everyone can accept that fried chicken is awesome
Although there are KFC vs. Popeyes wars
If you prefer KFC to Popeyes you are a disgusting human being

Never heard of Popeyes. Don't exist in Canada. I will always choose Nando's before KFC

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
New Gods has a couple directions it could take. Going full wild with it or something simpler. I'm anticipating something simpler.

Barda as the lead with Scott Free as the partner. Granny Goodness and Furies as the main villains. Darkseid as this Emperor, Sauron, type figure who looms over the story but indirectly.
From what I've seen of New Gods in comic panels all the suits look goofy, wonder how they will translate them to live-action
Same for The Eternals
Superhero movies are about to get a LOT more trippy, and I'm not complaining

Status
Not open for further replies.