• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People would be going nuts for a star wars movie right now. Disney fucked up big time. Plus enough time has passes since the last jedi for people to forget how terrible that movie was.

I'm at my parents for a few nights and my father immediately asked me if there was a Star Wars movie we could go see. So my anecdotal evidence agrees with you (besides your TLJ take).

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Having finally seen it, I don't understand how Greatest Showman had legs like that.

Greatest Showman seems to be something that appeals way more to women. Every woman I know, from 30 to nearly 70, loves Greatest Showman. Probably a half dozen either own the Blu-Ray or are getting it for Christmas. It makes people feel good when they're down.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
No one outside this forum gives a damn about Rey or any other characters in the Disney SW aside from maybe Kylo

That final duel between Aquaman and Orm was a better duel than anything in the recent films as well.
It felt a bit redudant after better fight scenes earlier in the movie, and with the added burden of "hero fights his opposite" which is done to death lately. But it was quick, and the ending with not killing him and him mother showing love was pretty cool.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
That's a stretch even Mr. Fantastic would struggle with.

There are expectations for it? It just seems like it appeared out of nowhere and is destined for being lumped in with the Adam Sandler Netflix stuff.

Calling out as sexist when someone says that no one cares about Rey other than people "on this forum" (and whatever this implies) is a stretch?

Nah, it isn't.

Growing up, I played countless hours of Star Wars with my neighbor Robbie, and while he switched roles between Luke, Han, and Darth Vader, I always played Leia. One year for Halloween my mother sewed me a white robe and braided my long, thick hair. I scorned the other girls' cheap masks with the molded plastic Leia buns. I was sure that I was the only one of the many Leias in my class who really understood her. Those other girls were just pretending, but I was the true incarnation of Princess Leia at Kincaid Elementary School. Just look at the buns.

Leia was awesome. She was resourceful and good and strong. She was a leader and a friend and good with a blaster. But even as a little girl, I always knew that it wasn't Leia's story. From the beginning, she was a competent leader with unshakable loyalty to her cause. She met every setback with determination and cleverness. But she was a commander on a mission, not a hero on a quest. And Star Wars has always been about the heroic quest.

Leia was also the one who wound up in a metal bikini. Sure, she strangled Jabba with her slave chain, but that didn't erase the image of the most powerful woman in the Star Wars universe on display for her captor's pleasure. He didn't even represent the Empire or the Dark Side—just a petty crime lord from a backwater desert planet. My friend Robbie and I knew each other well enough to be equal partners in our imaginary world, but a friend of his once suggested a scenario where I would be a trapped Princess Leia, and they would rescue me. I was furious, enraged both by his suggestion and my inability to explain why it was so wrong.

Rey, in The Force Awakens, is the Jedi hero I dreamed of as a child. She is powerful, self-assured, and skilled. She seems to be a natural Jedi—strong in the Force, patient, calm. Perhaps she will one day lead a new Jedi Council. Perhaps she will defeat the First Order and lay the path for Leia, the senior stateswoman, to restore the Republic. Thankfully, wherever Rey's destination, her gender seems about as relevant to her quest as Luke's was. I'm delighted that she isn't just another version of the plucky heroine whose major obstacle is everyone else's limited view of what girls can do.

I hope we get to see Rey grow as a hero. I hope she struggles with darkness and temptation and emerges stronger, but with more scars. I hope we see her weakness, as well as her greatness.

Wherever Rey's quest takes her, I will watch with adoration. I will adore her for my 8 year old self, for all the little girls who now get to play Rey, and for the sheer beauty of watching this amazing Jedi swing a light saber. In the meantime, I'll just be over there in the corner crying with the overwhelming emotion of seeing someone I didn't quite realize I'd been dreaming about for more than three decades.
Source: https://www.themarysue.com/the-importance-of-rey/

It's not a stretch at all.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I won't say the final battle in Aquaman is better than the Rey and Kylo fight, but the movie sets it up like it's an epic final boss in a video game. It's more comparable to Furious 7's final fight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Let's move on from the random The Last Jedi derails. You can have these fights when they are on topic again a year from now.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was visually striking.
That's one hell of a reach bro

No?

The visuals and choreography were stellar, it was like a fighting game brought to life, like something out of Injustice. It was the complete opposite of that PS2 Black Panther vs Killmonger sequence

There hasn't been a better 1v1 fight in the genre for God knows how long.
What ? A stupid back and forth concluded by some cheesy Asian inspired trident moves is good now ?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
If that snippet of Shazam flossing ends up in the actual theatrical trailer, $500 mil domestic is confirmed
tumblr_pc8v4d5gGg1udoms0o1_400.gif

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Aquaman gathering strength again in China will unfortunately put a cap on how big Spider-verse can get (since showings are going to start flowing back to Aquaman). But if it can leg out to at least 2x its opening, that would still be a solid result. Superhero films often miss that mark.

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
It would be pretty funny if every Justice League member got a DCEU solo film that grossed more than Justice League. We are going to be 3 for 3 with Man of Steel, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman.

It would be an amazing moment to see, that's for sure.

Do you have any predictions where Aquaman will end up, K?

Edit: Also, do you think that MIB:I will not have the same success that MIB trilogy had?

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The biggest MCU fanboy on this board who thinks Civil War is the Empire Strikes Back of our generation unironically calling out DC fanboys is something else.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
It would be an amazing moment to see, that's for sure.

Do you have any predictions where Aquaman will end up, K?

Edit: Also, do you think that MIB:I will not have the same success that MIB trilogy had?

It looks like Aquaman has a shot at topping BvS. Depends on domestic and overseas holds during the holiday.

International without China should pass 300M. Hard to say by how much yet. China will be 275M+. I would be shocked if domestic is under JL. So that's already 800M at worst.

No clue about MiB. How much of that franchise is the property, and how much was Will Smith? Hemsworth and Thompson don't carry much in the way of a box office draw on their own, but if the film is good and people like the concept, I guess that it could make decent money. I assume it is a lot cheaper than MiB3.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I think China would support a good Cyborg movie if DC were to make one.
I think Cyborg has a lot more potential than people give the character credit for. DC just needs to get away from making him a morose sadsack always crying about "muh humanity" and just make the cartoon version his default personality.

People would eat up a buddy action comedy about Cyborg and either The Flash or Beast Boy getting into fuckery.

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
It looks like Aquaman has a shot at topping BvS. Depends on domestic and overseas holds during the holiday.

International without China should pass 300M. Hard to say by how much yet. China will be 275M+. I would be shocked if domestic is under JL. So that's already 800M at worst.

No clue about MiB. How much of that franchise is the property, and how much was Will Smith? Hemsworth and Thompson don't carry much in the way of a box office draw on their own, but if the film is good and people like the concept, I guess that it could make decent money. I assume it is a lot cheaper than MiB3.

Near to 800M? Talent wins!!!

I think Cyborg has a lot more potential than people give the character credit for. DC just needs to get away from making him a morose sadsack always crying about "muh humanity" and just make the cartoon version his default personality.

People would eat up a buddy action comedy about Cyborg and either The Flash or Beast Boy getting into fuckery.

Thank you for your support.

Said this back in March

Nobody cares about Mary Poppins.

In Britain, the BBC clowned Mary Poppins Returns by airing the first one lol.

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Also, I'm a bit worried about MIB. It's not a high earner and since the second movie, the budget has ballooned.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Great idea - The Flash / Cyborg multiversal buddy action comedy has huge potential

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Great idea - The Flash / Cyborg multiversal buddy action comedy has huge potential
Or even something smaller key like Flash and Cy vs The Rogues. Anything.

If people aren't digging Cyborg by himself just yet, then give him a heavy hitter like The Flash to play off of. The main thing should be to just give Cyborg a personality that gets audiences into him. If all he does is sit around and moping about how much being half robot sucks, of course no one is going to think he's cool. He's literally telling us he's not. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.