• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Partially trolling some folks, but I said it's the best Star Wars movie this year

Some of those set pieces wouldn't be out of sorts in the franchise.

I had such a good time throughout, and my kids (who I had talk into going) had their mouths hanging open the whole time. It was a total success at being the kind of movie it was trying to be.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
If movies did what they 'deserved' to do, there likely wouldn't be another Superhero movie released. There'd be no Bumblebee because Transformers would've died with the second installment, there certainly wouldn't be an animated Spider-Man because Marvel would have all the rights after Sony died in flames, and there'd be no Aquaman after Batman V. Superman killed the entire DC Universe.

There's no such thing as a movie 'deserving' to do well.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If movies did what they 'deserved' to do, there likely wouldn't be another Superhero movie released. There'd be no Bumblebee because Transformers would've died with the second installment, there certainly wouldn't be an animated Spider-Man because Marvel would have all the rights after Sony died in flames, and there'd be no Aquaman after Batman V. Superman killed the entire DC Universe.

There's no such thing as a movie 'deserving' to do well.

Yeah I always find the concept of "Deserving" to be silly.

Like I get it, we want great products to do well, and poor products to do badly, but that isn't always the case.

and more to the point, it's usually hard to judge what does and doesn't deserve success because no one person can speak for universal taste.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Anybody got a link to greatest showman opening weekend. I'm sure the posts there are just as knee jerk

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017

Like I get it, we want great products to do well, and poor products to do badly, but that isn't always the case.

and more to the point, it's usually hard to judge what does and doesn't deserve success because no one person can speak for universal taste.
Ultimately, it just comes down to "do people like it?" If the answer is yes for a large enough number of people, then it should succeed.

I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in the idea of "objective" quality and reviews and whatnot that we forget movies are ultimately about the very simple job of entertaining people. If people are entertained by something, even if it's something you personally don't enjoy, then that just is what it is. No need to be upset by it.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Who does Mary Poppins appeal to? Arent the people that watched the original in their 80s?

Disney has been terrible these last two decades with keeping their ips in the minds of people and are only slowly recovering.

VHS gave a huuge mindshare boost to all Disney properties from the very beginning (Snow White, the Shorts) and combined that with TV shows based on their ips through the 80s and 90s to have every kid know their stuff.
They couldn't really recreate that with DVD and Blu Ray and abandoned their animated catalogue for cheap child actor TV shows.

I can see that changing again with their coming streaming service.
I grew up with all kinds of cartoons and movies from the Disney Era because they were readily available when I was a child.
I don't know anyone through the last ten years where the parents have given their kids those Disney classics to watch.

When all that is available in one place again, I can see new movies based on old properties be a lot more successful again.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Aquaman is absolutely better than both recent mainline SW flicks.

Might still place R1 above it though
i don't think thats controversial - it looks more interesting than the last like... half dozen star wars movies
Does Spider-Verse have any Oscar hype? It's deserving in a few categories IMO.

I love Aquaman, I love Momoa but LMFAO at this. No, Aquaman isn't better than Star Wars with Rey as the main lead. Yes, Star Wars are better films than Aquaman, but they are also completely different. I don't understand why DCEU fans try to always feel so much like the persecuted underdogs AND to pick non-sense fights like that. Aquaman is an excellent spectacle film, but it's not a better accomplished film than either The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi. You might have a case with Solo, but might is key.

Oct 25, 2017
I love Aquaman, I love Momoa but LMFAO at this. No, Aquaman isn't better than Star Wars with Rey as the main lead. Yes, Star Wars are better films than Aquaman, but they are also completely different. I don't understand why DCEU fans try to always feel so much like the persecuted underdogs AND to pick non-sense fights like that. Aquaman is an excellent spectacle film, but it's not a better accomplished film than either The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi. You might have a case with Solo, but might is key.

In my mind, as a lifelong Star Wars fan, Aquaman is a better Star Wars movie than any Star Wars movie since the original trilogy.

This has nothing to do with being a "DCEU fan" or feeling persecuted. It's just my honest opinion on the movie.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to have to give Aquaman some time for perspective, but maybe.

It certainly has the best third act of any superhero movie in forever, though.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Greatest Showman has the second best legs of any film to debut in over 2000 theatres. The only film that had better legs was Titanic. At over 3000 venues opening weekend, Greatest Showman is tops of all time.

Using it as a pattern for other films is probably misguided.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since other people brought it up yeah I'd agree

I enjoyed Aquaman far more than any of the Disney Star Wars films. Honestly Aquaman blew away what I thought it would be. It's just big, dumb, fun. A total spectacle. It knows what it wants to be and executes on it greatly.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
In my mind, as a lifelong Star Wars fan, Aquaman is a better Star Wars movie than any Star Wars movie since the original trilogy.

This has nothing to do with being a "DCEU fan" or feeling persecuted. It's just my honest opinion on the movie.

I don't understand how anyone could be saying that with a straight face. Takes like yours are so off putting that it makes me kinda ashamed to say that I loved Aquaman. Like I've said on the DCEU thread, DCEU fans need to get better with winning. Aquaman is a success, some people don't like it and wish Bumblebee and Spider-Verse get more spotlight. That's fair, and with success you also need to learn how to win and be a good sport on situations like this.

In short, what I'm saying is: stop embarassing me and certainly others that loved Aquaman as well with this non-sense. It's okay that not all people enjoyed Aquaman. No, Aquaman isn't the second coming, Aquaman isn't better than the Star Wars OT and NT films either. But it's certainly awesome. I'm stoked to watch Bumblebee later this week and Spider-Verse in January 10 when it opens around here. I do hope those films get more word of mouth, and that DC fans learn to be good sports so people won't be put off watching what I think it's a legit excellent superhero film with a lot of spectacle. Learn to have nice things.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Greatest Showman has the second best legs of any film to debut in over 2000 theatres. The only film that had better legs was Titanic. At over 3000 venues opening weekend, Greatest Showman is tops of all time.

That's why I find it out that everyone is trying to ascribe that something will break out like The Greatest Showman this year

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how anyone could be saying that with a straight face. Takes like yours are so off putting that it makes me kinda ashamed to say that I loved Aquaman. Like I've said on the DCEU thread, DCEU fans need to get better with winning. Aquaman is a success, some people don't like it and wish Bumblebee and Spider-Verse get more spotlight. That's fair, and with success you also need to learn how to win and be a good sport on situations like this.

In short, what I'm saying is: stop embarassing me and certainly others that loved Aquaman as well with this non-sense. It's okay that not all people enjoyed Aquaman. No, Aquaman isn't the second coming, Aquaman isn't better than the Star Wars OT and NT films either. But it's certainly awesome. I'm stoked to watch Bumblebee later this week and Spider-Verse in January 10 when it opens around here. I do hope those films get more word of mouth, and that DC fans learn to be good sports so people won't be put off watching what I think it's a legit excellent superhero film with a lot of spectacle. Learn to have nice things.

If you're embarrassed by opinion of others on a niche message board forum you need to take a step back lmaoo.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
That's why I find it out that everyone is trying to ascribe that something will break out like The Greatest Showman this year

People don't realize how leggy The Greatest Showman was. Its 2nd-6th weekends all made more than its first.

If Spider-verse made its same 35M opening, but had Greatest Showman legs, its domestic total would be around Infinity War's.

Poppins or Bumblebee would clear 400M with greatest Showman legs. Aquaman would clear 1B domestic.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If DC can manage to make films consistently on the level of Aquaman and WW count me the hell in on the DCU as someone that legitimately hates both BvS and Justice League.

Aquaman had some of the best action sequences I've seen in a comic book film

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
If you're embarrassed by opinion of others on a niche message board forum you need to take a step back lmaoo.

Nah, I'm embarassed by DCEU fans in general. Also, especially here, because I believe this place should set the example for other DCEU fans. When people buy into persecution complex bullshit so easily here, that's not what we are doing. And I want us to be better than that, learn how to gracious about being the main success. That's what Aquaman is right now, the biggest film in the world, and yet people are complaining about some wanting Bumblebee and Spider-Verse to get more spotlight. That would be like Star Wars fans pissed off that Jumanji was taking out the spotlight of The Last Jedi, and it's, well, ridiculous.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Does that include the stupid duel out of water or

That's the worst part of it, but it's mercifully short and I dig the resolution a lot.

Not sure I agree here. Civil War and Doctor Strange still have better final acts. I'll probably admit it's the best since 2016 though.

I'm on record as not liking the end of Civil War much at all. Horribly overrated movie.

Doctor Strange indeed has an excellent third act, and Infinity War's is good too. I think Aquaman edges them out, though.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the fact someone is getting this bent out of shape because some people like Aquaman more than a Star Wars film is pretty embarrassing

Like, neither one is exactly high quality thought provoking films. They are big budget action blockbusters

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm embarassed by DCEU fans in general. Also, especially here, because I believe this place should set the example for other DCEU fans. When people buy into persecution complex bullshit so easily here, that's not what we are doing. And I want us to be better than that, learn how to gracious about being the main success. That's what Aquaman is right now, the biggest film in the world, and yet people are complaining about some wanting Bumblebee and Spider-Verse to get more spotlight. That would be like Star Wars fans pissed off that Jumanji was taking out the spotlight of The Last Jedi, and it's, well, ridiculous.

This isn't the thread for it and I've expressed my thoughts to you in the other one. So we should just take the convo there.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

I don't think Poppins is going to do anything near it, but they're both holiday musicals with fan favorites in lead roles, it's not farfetched that they'd perform similarly.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the fact someone is getting this bent out of shape because some people like Aquaman more than a Star Wars film is pretty embarrassing

Like, neither one is exactly high quality thought provoking films. They are big budget action blockbusters

This. There are only a few cape films that have more to offer (Black Panther, Logan) and the rest, and the SW movies, aren't really much of anything meaningful.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
No one outside this forum gives a damn about Rey or any other characters in the Disney SW aside from maybe Kylo

That final duel between Aquaman and Orm was a better duel than anything in the recent films as well.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I don't think Poppins is going to do anything near it, but they're both holiday musicals with fan favorites in lead roles, it's not farfetched that they'd perform similarly.

Yes it is. Because nothing in the modern era of film has performed like The Greatest Showman, regardless of the genre. Opening weekend was 5% of the total, and it launched ultra wide.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

giphy.gif

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

Truth right here. Why can't we just enjoy both?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I see the box office thread once again has turned back to The Last Jedi. What comes around goes around.

Welp, this was a fun thread whilst it lasted I guess.

When can we expect the 5 day numbers by the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.