• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Plus Aquaman and Venom doing really well. Even Ant-Man 2 did well.

Unless it's about to fall off a cliff, there ain't any signs of fatigue.
KindYellowAfricanpiedkingfisher-max-1mb.gif

Patience, my dog of war...

giphy.gif

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Just watched Spider-Verse. It was amazing (pun intended)! Though it seems to be doing decent; it deserves much better! Fuck the animation age ghetto! :(

And considering this was a Sony Animated film and the studio hasn't had much of a good critical track record besides Surf's Up and HT1.

And dang at Bumblebee; Paramount should have really ditched Michael Bay earlier in the film franchise's run. The decline in quality was apparent every time I checked out each film. Hope to actually check it out soon, especially with the director having previously done the awesome Kubo and the Two Strings.

I'm pretty much indifferent with everything else and probably won't check out another film until Captain Marvel in March.

I think Spider Verse is a film you got to see at least once, whether in the theater or on you phone. Aquaman, on the other hand, is a film you got to see in theater or you won't enjoy it very much on the small screen. I expect Spider Verse do extremely well on iTunes and streaming.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Spider-Verse is something where a big part of it is lost on a smaller screen. You lose all the texture and detail to the image. I loved seeing that glorious zip tone on the big screen.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who the fuck cares about Mary Floppins. It's amazing how much out of touch can some execs be.

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Marwen seems like a movie that maybe would've done OK box office circa 1999 or 2000 with Jim Carrey or Tom Hanks starring in it.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Took the kids to see Bumblee yesterday and it was 80's AF! I wasn't expecting that! Loved all the references, music, and what a great heartfelt, fun story. We all really enjoyed it. It's a shame and unwarranted that it's not doing better at the BO.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised that Mary Poppins isn't doing better but also thrilled that a sequel to a classic made 60 years later turned out to be a poor business decision.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Spiderverse deserves so much better than to be clobbered by this brutal lineup. Hopefully it recovers and holds through the new year. Film of the year for me.

It's doing fine relative to its budget.

Also, people are decrying the animation bias, but the film also plays into that, it's not just perception. It's a YA family movie, and those aren't foing to draw as big a crowd, animated or not.

I personally loved it, but I can see why it didn't pull numbers like a "grown up" movie even when it's better than most all of them.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I wonder if Mary Poppins is going to have the staying power of Greatest Showman? Beauty and the Beast was huge, maybe it's in for a marathon run..

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I also think Solo would've fared better this month than in May, but at the same time Aquaman and Bumblebee is a lot of competition for a lot of the same audience.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I wonder if Mary Poppins is going to have the staying power of Greatest Showman? Beauty and the Beast was huge, maybe it's in for a marathon run..
This thread is writing off Poppins then?

I mean it's really hard to say either way right now.

It didn't have the best opening week, and the weekend numbers didn't seem like something that was pulling in audiences from WOM, but it is early still and it could have an impressive run.

I think people just like the instant reactions.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I mean it's really hard to say either way right now.

It didn't have the best opening week, and the weekend numbers didn't seem like something that was pulling in audiences from WOM, but it is early still and it could have an impressive run.

I think people just like the instant reactions.
Good reviews, and great WOM and the whole world getting it now I think knee jerk stuff is just silly

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman is doing pretty well. Great to see!

Is it? Is it great to see the mediocre "hey you didn't completely fuck this one up, good for you, WB" movie cleaning up at the BO while two vastly superior and more deserving films (Spider-Man and Bumblebee) get swept under the rug? The whole situation is incredibly disheartening, frankly. Not surprising, of course, but still, two quality films are getting buried.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Is it? Is it great to see the mediocre "hey you didn't completely fuck this one up, good for you, WB" movie cleaning up at the BO while two vastly superior and more deserving films (Spider-Man and Bumblebee) get swept under the rug? The whole situation is incredibly disheartening, frankly. Not surprising, of course, but still, two quality films are getting buried.

D'aww

And yes, it is. Because clearly it resonates with audiences.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Aquaman is dumb, earnest fun and I'm glad it's doing well, but it's mildly disheartening that Spider-Verse isn't dominating. Hopefully it has legs from the word of mouth.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Aquaman passes 500M worldwide today.

I am expecting it to be over Justice League's worldwide total by next Sunday. Possibly well over. I would have to look at overseas comparisons for late Dec.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Why is it so hard for you to get that audiences thoroughly rejected Solo the world over?

Having a concept people want matters. Case in point, BvS and JL should have been bankable, whenever they released but the CONCEPT was flawed and didn't resonate with audiences and they underperformed.

It's not that complex.
I liked Solo and I was surprised by that.

No one was sold on the movie before it came out, that was its biggest problem.

The fact that the general praise for it after its release was along the lines of "Actually it wasn't bad!" was kind of damning. Everyone was expecting it to be a huge dumpster fire and it wasn't, but it also wasn't a hidden masterpiece that demanded everyone go see it immediately.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mary Poppins deserves better. Hopefully it has good legs during Christmas and this next weekend.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

Uh, okay? I loved both Spiderverse and Aquaman and they both deserve to do well imo, but anyone could've forseen this result.

Also Aquaman was a ton of fun, and I'm excited to see more from DC in the future. So yes, it's great to see it doing well. :)

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
them aquaman sea salt washing ashore in this thread is great. Bumblebee and the studio behind it got what they deserved for releasing the previous crap

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
D'aww

And yes, it is. Because clearly it resonates with audiences.
them aquaman sea salt washing ashore in this thread is great. Bumblebee and the studio behind it got what they deserved for releasing the previous crap
The irony of cheering Aquaman's success while saying other movies deserve to fail because their studios -- unlike WB/DC, I guess? -- previously released crap.

As someone that enjoyed Aquaman very much and watched the film two times already and will own the blu-ray, I will side with those that are disappointed seeing Bumblebee and Spider-Man: Into Spider-Verse getting lost in the shuffle.

I haven't seen Bumblebee because it will only be released here next Thursday, and Spider-Verse in January 10, I will be watching both films and hope both get sequels and that word of mouth helps both films to gross more and get sequels.

Bumblebee and Spider-Verse should have been released on less crowded dates.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
As someone that enjoyed Aquaman very much and watched the film two times already and will own the blu-ray, I will side with those that are disappointed seeing Bumblebee and Spider-Man: Into Spider-Verse getting lost in the shuffle.

I haven't seen Bumblebee because it will only be released here next Thursday, and Spider-Verse in January 10, I will be watching both films and hope both get sequels and that word of mouth helps both films to gross more and get sequels.

Bumblebee and Spider-Verse should have been released on less crowded dates.

To be clear, I want Spider-Verse and Bumblebee and even Mary Poppins to do well, I don't want any movie/product to do poorly, personally.

I'm just saying I'm happy that Aquaman is doing well because it speaks to an audience so far, we shall see legs.

Oct 25, 2017
Movies like Spider-verse and Bumblebee feel like Spring or Summer releases. IDK just feels like they'd do well at that time. Putting all these movies out at the same time. It's no shock sales are being cannibalized.

But this time of year is weird. We'll see how legs look for a lot of these films.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Spider-Man is not getting buried.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Spiderman is doing fine for the budget, with Bumblebee, theyre paying the price for their shitty bayformers films

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
To be clear, I want Spider-Verse and Bumblebee and even Mary Poppins to do well, I don't want any movie/product to do poorly, personally.

I'm just saying I'm happy that Aquaman is doing well because it speaks to an audience so far, we shall see legs.

Both Bumblebee and Spider-Verse clearly deserve better. Aquaman getting a sequel is a sure thing given its OS breakout, the other films less so. Yes people should see Aquaman, but also see Spider-Verse and Bumblebee as well.

Bumblebee and Spider-Verse getting better word of mouth than Aquaman will hopefully make people check out the other two films, and yes that would take part of Aquaman's potential legs, but if that's what it takes for those two films also be profitable and warrant sequels, then so be it.

Wasn't Bumblebee's budget quite modest?
BOM is reporting $135m, but that's without the marketing.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Also, Aquaman is better than "mediocre." For whatever its faults, the movie is some of the biggest spectacle on screen and that's generally worth a decent BO performance.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

Mary Poppins as an existing IP should have more upfront demand than The Greatest Showman did. I wouldn't bet on that type of run but I'm interested in following it's run.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
RIP Transformers reboot, at least we got 1 good movie out of it

Hope Spider-Verse does well over time - I'd love that diverse trilogy Sony talked about.

No surprise over Aquaman, Wan is a treasure.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Also, Aquaman is better than "mediocre." For whatever its faults, the movie is some of the biggest spectacle on screen and that's generally worth a decent BO performance.

Partially trolling some folks, but I said it's the best Star Wars movie this year

Some of those set pieces wouldn't be out of sorts in the franchise.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman is absolutely better than both recent mainline SW flicks.

Might still place R1 above it though

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Status
Not open for further replies.