• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it was because of that shirtless guy? Was this like a Fifty Shades sort of thing? Eye-candy for the gals....and guys?
It's just a comic booky comic book movie.

Embraces what it is. Delivers great characters, action and a visual feast.

The recipe was there for it to do well and the word of mouth seems positive.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised about Bumblebee. The past Transformer films left a bad rep for the franchise. I'm genuinely surprised it got good reviews, so I may watch it.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not surprised about Bumblebee. The past Transformer films left a bad rep for the franchise. I'm genuinely surprised it got good reviews, so I may watch it.
Yea i saw Aquaman instead of bumblebee eventhough i wanted to see Bumblebee more. I didnt regret it but I wished I coulda saw the bee first.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I Didnt know it was going to be profitable ? The numbers so far doesn't suggest that.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs grossed $240m on a $100m budget and it was enough for a sequel

Spiderverse will out gross Cloudy on a smaller budget and probably make a killing on home video/digital/streaming

Plus an Oscar nom (win?) helps

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Just watched Spider-Verse. It was amazing (pun intended)! Though it seems to be doing decent; it deserves much better! Fuck the animation age ghetto! :(

And considering this was a Sony Animated film and the studio hasn't had much of a good critical track record besides Surf's Up and HT1.

And dang at Bumblebee; Paramount should have really ditched Michael Bay earlier in the film franchise's run. The decline in quality was apparent every time I checked out each film. Hope to actually check it out soon, especially with the director having previously done the awesome Kubo and the Two Strings.

I'm pretty much indifferent with everything else and probably won't check out another film until Captain Marvel in March.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from Marwen.

What the actual fuck did I just watch? It's so weirdly sexual and violent.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Marwen was absolute toss - easily one of the worst of the year - and that BO take feels like a bit of justice.
Just got back from Marwen.

What the actual fuck did I just watch? It's so weirdly sexual and violent.
Imagine actually going through that horrible attack and the film adaption of your story paints you as a socially inept pervert with a drug addiction instead of a guy suffering from PTSD with a progressive fashion sense and a unique and artsy coping mechanism.

Talk about a misrepresentation. There is a fantastic documentary on the real story though so not all is lost.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
In fairness to Phantasm, that was originally supposed to be released straight-to-video, but WB thought it would make more money for a theatrical release...only for them to lose whatever faith they had in it shortly before it opened. It was dumped after fellow WB release Grumpy Old Men, which got most of WB's advertising focus and was screened for critics well before its release (Phantasm wasn't screened for critics until the last minute).

WB in general has a bad habit of doing this to their (partially) animated works. Iron Giant, PPG Movie, LT: Back in Action, Osmosis Jones. Even the TTG Movie from earlier this year was subject to this; despite how much the show it's based on pretty much rules Cartoon Network in promos and ratings.

With that said, apparently B:TAS was actually given a prime time slot on Fox during its original run, based on the strength of its critical praise...only for the resulting ratings to be awful.
Huh, TTG Movie had pretty aggressive marketing

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
OG Poppins vs new poppins. Funny that the december box office showdown shook out like this.

*Julie Andrews cackle*

Turns out audiences love a kraken queen.

I would love for the Reeves Batman movie(s) to happen. I have just lost all faith that they ever materialize at this point. Hopefully I am wrong.

From what I remember Matt Reeves has mentioned the production timetables of both apes movies he did were like freight trains he couldn't stop. Like he asked for more time when he came on for the second movie, fox says the dates/schedule can't be moved. He comes back for the third apes movie, asks for less of a tight turn around. Studio says no again and that the timetables aren't getting moved.

cue wb approaching matt for a batman movie. At one point during negotiations matt walks away, only to sign on a week or two later. My guess? He told wb "fuck off. I get total freedom and the movie happens on my terms. 3-4 years, I'm gonna take my time with the movie. Fine tune the script. I'm not getting rushed again. Either deal with my timetable or I walk."

Now that's just my speculation. Maybe Reeves is gone tomorrow. But I think he was granted the freedom to really do what he wants, including taking as much time as he needs.

Is that frustrating for people that want to see another awesome batman movie soon? Sure. I remain hopeful though. Matt Reeves has made some excellent movies.

May 5, 2018
Bummer about Bumblebee bombing. For ONCE we get a good Transformers film and its tanking in a very disappointing weekend overall (Aquaman is doing ok). Sadly this might tell Hollywood folks to push the Michael Bay style of transformers films rather than what Bumblebee represents.

Also boy Welcome to Marwen is taking the worst beating here. Zemeckis getting a major bomb and while Marwen's chances weren't good to begin with, the rotten word of mouth basically killed it entirely.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully Bumblebee makes enough for a sequel.

I'm watching Spiderverse this week and Bumblebee next.

Would like to rewatch Aquaman too at some point, but foresee myself watching Spiderverse twice.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least this time last year everyone was just arguing about The Last Jedi in these threads.

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs grossed $240m on a $100m budget and it was enough for a sequel

Spiderverse will out gross Cloudy on a smaller budget and probably make a killing on home video/digital/streaming

Plus an Oscar nom (win?) helps

Will Spidey make that much though?

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SyLakjk.jpg

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
User Warned: Trolling across a series of posts
You crying over one movie you don't like doing well and then downplaying your behavior when called on it is pretty bizarre. Were you not cast in it or something?

My behavior? LOL. Oh no, I said something bad about a movie you like. The horror!

Get a grip. Your garbage movie will probably get a sequel so settle down.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So anyway Bumblebee and Spiderverse are both good movies that you should all see.

Dec 12, 2017
My behavior? LOL. Oh no, I said something bad about a movie you like. The horror!

Get a grip. Your garbage movie will probably get a sequel so settle down.

Like the movie?

I haven't even seen the movie...but yes, your behavior continues to be mystifying.

We all find your theatrics funny... remember, I wasn't the only one that quoted your salt ridden post. 🤔

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I probably would have seen Bumblebee, but my theater didn't get it. It has Into the Sipder-verse, Aquaman, and Mary Poppins this week. Maybe it will get it in a week or two.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The saddest thing about Spider-Verse's performance is that if it were live-action it would have grossed three times as much already

The dumb slant against animation will never not annoy me

Dec 12, 2017
The saddest thing about Spider-Verse's performance is that if it were live-action it would have grossed three times as much already

The dumb slant against animation will never not annoy me

The industry has conditioned the movie going public to see this films as less than much like indie games are still viewed by a lot of people as "not real" games.

The perception of value is tethered to what is "real". Imagine if Pacific Rim was animated...no fucking way it would have gotten a sequel. It just is what it is.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Move on from this Aquaman back and forth.

OK.

So anyway Bumblebee and Spiderverse are both good movies that you should all see.

I want to see both. Honestly, I'll probably wait until the Spiderman one comes to DVD. I kinda sorta want to see the Bumblebee movie tomorrow. I honestly got sick of the Transformers movies after the 2nd one (just one garbage cash grab after another IMO), but I see that Bay didn't direct this one. And it doesn't look half bad. And it doesn't hurt that it has a pretty high RT score.

Dec 12, 2017

I sawl Spiderverse and already said it's my favorite Spider-man movie, period. Want to see it again in theaters but don't know if I will.

Bumblebee and Aquaman aren't even on my radar. If Beale Street Could Talk is on my next must see list.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Disney is a lowkey shitshow without Marvel or Star Wars tbh.
Well, or WADS or Pixar. It's really only Disney's internal live action productions that are full-on shit-show, and the live action remakes have still largely been making up for their never-ending train of mega bombs.

Solo was going to bomb December too.

Spiderman Homecoming
Thor Ragnarok
Black Panther
Avengers Infinity War
Ant Man and the Wasp

all came out in a 12 month period and did great at the box office but 2 SW movies in 6 months was too much? I'm not rollin.

Another 6 months wasn't going to improve that dreadful marketing campaign.
It wouldn't have been huge, but December absolutely would have been kinder to the movie for various reasons. Much less competition for one, and while no, "2 SW movies in 6 months" wasn't "the" problem, or something inevitably damaging, in this specific case the movie would have benefitted from some space. And don't forget that a large reason for the marketing campaign being poor was that... well, there basically wasn't one, due to the entire promotional run held until after TLJ was essentially done in theatres. We got the first teaser like 3 months from release.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I never saw a trailer for Bumble Bee and I didn't know the movie existed until I read this thread. So maybe they didn't market it hard enough. That said, I saw Marwen trailers everywhere and it bombed hard. The problem with the Marwen trailer it still wasn't quite clear what kind of movie was it. Was it a fantasy movie? A standard drama? inspiration tale? The trailer seemed a bit muddled by trying to be all those three things, so it's not clear who the intended audience is.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Well, or WADS or Pixar. It's really only Disney's internal live action productions that are full-on shit-show, and the live action remakes have still largely been making up for their never-ending train of mega bombs.

It's funny though because they bought pixar, marvel and Star Wars (and WADS may well have benefitted from the Pixar purchase).

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spiderverse was a delight. It deserves high praise and I hope it has long legs.
Aquaman was a generic superhero movie. Some fun moments, and easily the best of the current "DC" movie universe, but that isn't saying much.
Bumblebee is really good, I wish it were doing better because the franchise could redeem itself if it follows this new direction.

I'm not surprised Aquaman is doing so well, its brainless fun for the season. The audience seemed engaged, but I can't help but think Superhero fatigue is starting to set in.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I can't help but think Superhero fatigue is starting to set in.
When you have the two highest grossing superhero films ever released come out in a single year (much less only 2 and a half months apart), and one of them being only the third film to do over $700m domestic and the other setting the record for opening weekend, I can't see how anyone can legit think this.
Let's not talk about how one of them was only the fourth film to ever break $2b worldwide gross.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
When you have the two highest grossing superhero films ever released come out in a single year (much less only 2 and a half months apart), and one of them being only the third film to do over $700m domestic and the other setting the record for opening weekend, I can't see how anyone can legit think this.
Let's not talk about how one of them was only the fourth film to ever break $2b worldwide gross.

Plus Aquaman and Venom doing really well. Even Ant-Man 2 did well.

Unless it's about to fall off a cliff, there ain't any signs of fatigue.

Oct 25, 2017
Spiderverse deserves so much better than to be clobbered by this brutal lineup. Hopefully it recovers and holds through the new year. Film of the year for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.