• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
TMNT had divisive live-action movies but the new cartoons helped negate that and carried on it's popularity. I see new Transformers cartoons coming out but I don't see that much excitement for them. And if Paramount wants Transformers to be big then I feel like you gotta start with the cartoons.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
-52.7% (estimated)

IT HAS THE 2ND BEST 2ND WEEK HOLD OF ANY SUPERHERO FILM OF 2018 DURING A WEEK WITH MASSIVE COMPETITION.

2018 Best 2nd week drop SH:
Black Panther -44.7%

Spider-verse had a better hold than Incredibles 2: -56.0%

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/allti...e=SMALLDROPWID&sort=2ndwknd&order=DESC&p=.htm

Okay then, let me rephrase,

Spider-Man's box office so far is depressing. I want it to be doing so much better, on par with the live action movies or at least with Disney/Pixar/Illumination movies. The drop might be light, but that means nothing if the opening weekend was 1/3rd of what those other movies did.

Hell, the Hotel Transylvania movies did better. I doubt this will even do Lego Batman numbers, which was also considered disappointing to some extend. I hope I'm wrong.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Aquaman will still beat Justice League. 300M domestic is not completely off the table yet (but would require really strong weekday grosses this week). Holiday legs.

Also, some of the more glaring dialogue delivery issues in Aquaman wouldn't be as apparent to people in non-English countries, so I can see why it is big in Asia. It is shot well, and has cool visuals.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The studios should known better than releasing most of their films on the same week...although with even that said, this should had been a month with only two tentpole releases instead of four. The films destroyed each other by aiming for the same release period, and aiming for the same demographics (with Aquaman/WB being the only real victor here—DOM OW won out against Bee and Poppins, higher OW than Spider-Verse, great OW overseas).

Fox was absolutely smart to move Alita out of December; Paramount and Sony should had done the same with Bee and Spider-Verse. I think Poppins could had worked as counter-programming against Aquaman if it was just those two films releasing during this period; but as it stands, Disney is arguably the biggest loser and the biggest dummy to come out of this, because they threw Solo (and arguably Nutcracker too) under the bus to give this film (and Ralph) room for the holiday season slot. So much for that...

Disney seriously needs to do something about the management responsible for scheduling their films. They keep slotting their films so close to each other (and rival competition) and send them out to be buried as a result.

e: Forgot about Marwen, the invisible colossal bomba. Complete disaster for Carrell, Zemeckis, and the rest. They all should had known better.

Last edited:

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Infinity War came out a full month before. Jurassic World a full month after. Incredibles 2 was in its 4th weekened. So it was mostly just Deadpool 2. If people really wanted to see Solo, there was time to do so between those other huge films
Exactly! I feel like some people can't accept that just because it has Star Wars in it's name doesn't mean people will automatically flock to go see it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity War came out a full month before. Jurassic World a full month after. Incredibles 2 was in its 4th weekened. So it was mostly just Deadpool 2. If people really wanted to see Solo, there was time to do so between those other huge films

Infinity War in its 5th weekend (which is when Solo launched) still made $17m. That's about the same as #2 and #3 this weekend if you take away the preview money, and more than #4. Plus Solo had Deadpool's $43m whooping that ass. The argument that this month had more competition than April/May/June is preposterous.

It's all anecdotal but I spoke to numerous people who didn't watch Solo because they just watched Infinity War or Deadpool and didn't want to see another "nerd movie" (or something to that effect). I get the vibe that spacing Solo out more from Infinity War, and certainly Deadpool, would have helped it tremendously. A month isn't a very long time.

Also as I look through the numbers even Ocean's 8 took a nice chunk of business out of Solo's 3rd weekend, then Incredibles cleaned up weekend 4. But the main culprit was Deadpool, and I think people forget how huge that movie was. $300m domestic is no joke and it was right up Solo's ass for its entire run. Solo's legs aren't chopped off like that if it's released in December.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
TMNT had divisive live-action movies but the new cartoons helped negate that and carried on it's popularity. I see new Transformers cartoons coming out but I don't see that much excitement for them. And if Paramount wants Transformers to be big then I feel like you gotta start with the cartoons.
It's time for Beast Wars. It saved this franchise once before it can do so again!

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's all anecdotal but I spoke to numerous people who didn't watch Solo because they just watched Infinity War or Deadpool and didn't want to see another "nerd movie" (or something to that effect)

I mean, isn't that the reason why Solo did as bad as it did? No one really cared that much about it in the first place. If it was appealing at all people would have gone to see it like they did with IW oe Deadpool. Changing when it releases doesn't make a difference if no one wants to see it.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You said everything bombed. Aquaman didn't bomb.

I don't know, it didn't do as well as it predecessor.

19648__aquaman_l.jpg

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, isn't that the reason why Solo did as bad as it did? No one really cared that much about it in the first place. If it was appealing at all people would have gone to see it like they did with IW oe Deadpool. Changing when it releases doesn't make a difference if no one wants to see it.

Changing when it releases can make people want to see it. Timing is a major factor when it comes to the release of movies, games or any kind of media.

Again I'm not saying it would be a massive success if it released in December, but it would have done FAR better in the Poppins slot than that death slot it received in May. As evidenced by... the last 3 Star Wars films performing brilliantly in that slot.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay then, let me rephrase,

Spider-Man's box office so far is depressing. I want it to be doing so much better, on par with the live action movies or at least with Disney/Pixar/Illumination movies. The drop might be light, but that means nothing if the opening weekend was 1/3rd of what those other movies did.

Hell, the Hotel Transylvania movies did better. I doubt this will even do Lego Batman numbers, which was also considered disappointing to some extend. I hope I'm wrong.

Honestly it's hard to tell what a movie will do leg wise if we're in the pre Christmas period. INT it's a lock to be above LEGO BATMAN (136m) and pretty much LEGO as well (211m).

Last edited:

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
We live in a world where a mediocre live action remake of The Jungle Book with bad musical segments almost cleared a billion.

The Greatest Showman did 430M WW, on a weaker OW than poppins.

There's no way to construct a reasonable prediction for modern musicals, especially not from Disney.

There is some reason to be worried for Dumbo. But who knows?

There is no reason to be worried about Lion King.

There is even more reason to be worried about Aladdin than Dumbo. But who knows?

Hindsight is not a superpower, this is all just fantasy football we talk in here anyway :V

I'd be worried about Dumbo because I don't think anyone gives a fuck about Dumbo.

Dec 12, 2017
Changing when it releases can make people want to see it. Timing is a major factor when it comes to the release of movies, games or any kind of media.

Again I'm not saying it would be a massive success if it released in December, but it would have done FAR better in the Poppins slot than that death slot it received in May. As evidenced by... the last 3 Star Wars films performing brilliantly in that slot.

Good thing SW has always had to release in December to have a chance at success...oh wait.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Infinity War in its 5th weekend (which is when Solo launched) still made $17m. That's about the same as #2 and #3 this weekend if you take away the preview money, and more than #4. Plus Solo had Deadpool's $43m whooping that ass. The argument that this month had more competition than April/May/June is preposterous.

It's all anecdotal but I spoke to numerous people who didn't watch Solo because they just watched Infinity War or Deadpool and didn't want to see another "nerd movie" (or something to that effect). I get the vibe that spacing Solo out more from Infinity War, and certainly Deadpool, would have helped it tremendously. A month isn't a very long time.

Also as I look through the numbers even Ocean's 8 took a nice chunk of business out of Solo's 3rd weekend, then Incredibles cleaned up weekend 4. But the main culprit was Deadpool, and I think people forget how huge that movie was. $300m domestic is no joke and it was right up Solo's ass for its entire run. Solo's legs aren't chopped off like that if it's released in December.

This weekend was cumulatively less than 10M smaller than Memorial Day weekend was. Maybe less than 5M smaller when actuals come in. Poppins had 150M in competition this weekend vs 98M in competition for Solo on memorial day weekend. The next two weeks vs the first two weeks of June are no question at all.

So, you are basically arguing that some people decided that Solo was skippable, because they already went to the cinema once or twice in recent weeks, but are assuming that the same wouldn't be the case now.

Dec 12, 2017
This weekend was cumulatively less than 10M smaller than Memorial Day weekend was. Maybe less than 5M smaller when actuals come in. Poppins had 150M in competition this weekend vs 98M in competition for Solo on memorial day weekend. The next two weeks vs the first two weeks of June are no question at all.

So, you are basically arguing that some people decided that Solo was skippable, because they already went to the cinema once or twice in recent weeks, but are assuming that the same wouldn't be the case now.
TELL EM

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think we're at a fundamental impasse here. We both have very different views on whatever or not solo had any appeal at all with the general audience (You believing that it was the release date that was the problem and me believing it was the movie itself).

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this or else we'll just be talking in circles.

Dec 12, 2017
I think we're at a fundamental impasse here. We both have very different views on whatever or not solo had any appeal at all with the general audience (You believing that it was the release date that was the problem and me believing it was the movie itself).

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this or else we'll just be talking in circles.

The WORLDWIDE reception tells me it was the film.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Mary Poppins will totally dominate the box office!
96dP.gif

Sad animated Spider-Man isn't doing better, but I guess that's expected with the Western stigma against animated movies.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Correct. My assumption is a Solo spaced 12 months from the last Star Wars competing with Aquaman, animated Spidey and Bumblebee does better than Solo spaced 6 months from the last Star Wars competing with Avengers and Deadpool.

Indeed. Though I want to remind you that I'm not saying release date was THE problem, it was A problem. And changing that wouldn't mean $1b for Solo. But I don't think it would have bombed like it did with a better date.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's unarguable that it would have done meagerly better due to a much longer break between SW films, but it wouldn't have stopped it from dissapointing to much the same degree (with a similar collapse WW).

Dec 12, 2017
There's not even a Star Wars film out, yet we're still arguing about these damm movies. God help us come this time next year.

It so silly that people can't fathom the notion that the audience might reject a concept. The Lion's share of SW films didn't release in December but somehow when the movie people were most lukewarm on fails, there is a need to twist themselves into knots to handwave away the reasons as timing.

Solo was a weak film concept, definitely the weakest of the Disney Era but somehow people need to cape for it.

I think it's unarguable that it would have done meagerly better due to a much longer break between SW films, but it wouldn't have stopped it from dissapointing to much the same degree (with a similar collapse WW).

That's what I keep saying. With releases spaced out and OS doing a lot better than DOM in a lot of cases, this points to a disconnect from audiences.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
I think there is an important lesson here in not releasing your movie at the same time as two other major releases and thus getting diminishing returns.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
If Solo released in December, it could have benefited from a better marketing cycle, distance from the last film, etc. At most, though, it maybe could've squeezed out an extra $10m domestic, maybe $20m. It wouldn't have done any better worldwide.

Why?

Because people just don't care about it. I say that as a die-hard Star Wars fan who enjoyed Solo well enough. There was no enthusiasm about the movie at any point from development to release. Solo's biggest issue was that the movie was fundamentally misguided. December wouldn't have saved it. If Lucasfilm had released something audiences are interested in this December (a Rogue One equivalent) then it probably would have cleaned up nicely this year. Solo would not have.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
That's a good point. I really liked Transformers Animated, but I think fans rejected it in the beginning and kids weren't that into it. And that came out around the same time as the first movie, so interest in the franchise was definitely there. Since then, they've had Prime come in between the second and third movies and Rescue Bots which skews really young. Both were on kids cable channels most don't have or watch, so they kind of flew under the radar.

There really isn't much else going on with Transformers to keep people interested, especially in the middle of the current cape craze.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Disney is a lowkey shitshow without Marvel or Star Wars tbh.

I'm assuming you only mean in 2018?

2018:
Incredibles 2 = $1.24b

2017:
Beauty and the Beast = $1.26b
Coco = $807m
Pirates 5 = $795m

2016:
Finding Dory = $1.02b
Zootopia = $1.02b
The Jungle Book = $967m
Moana = $643m

And 2019 brings Dumbo, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, The Lion King and Frozen 2 so I think it's clear that 2018 will be the outlier.

Oct 27, 2017
Mary Poppins will totally dominate the box office!
96dP.gif

Sad animated Spider-Man isn't doing better, but I guess that's expected with the Western stigma against animated movies.

Not sure if there is a Western stigma against animated films. Animated films are sure box office success more often than not, because parents are always searching for things to do with their children. I do think maybe animated superhero films are a harder sell. People would probably rather watch them in live-action.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I don't think it was ever going to be up for much beyond Emily Blunt and various technical categories. Underperforming won't have an impact on the latter, but it might hurt her chances of getting a nomination. Disney has put all of their chips on Black Panther.
Good - that film is way better.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bumblebee needs to make all the money so we get more Transformers movies lookijg and sounding correctly.

Spidy deserves all the real praise and cash though and a whole saga of films built around it

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I think in the long term spiderverse will be okay, good holds and Christmas period is upon us plus good word of mouth. Most importantly, at a 90 million dollar budget, it's basically a budget film compared to the other heavy hitters

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Paramount/Hasbro need to wait at LEAST 5 years (10 would be better) before they make another Transformers reboot.

Get the stink of Bay out of everyone's mouths.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna stay rooting for Spider-Man. When holidays come, choices for kids and families (though anyone could enjoy the film) are between Mary Poppins, Bumblebee, and the arachnid. Aquaman is after a different audience, which only collides marginally with the others, in my opinion.

Knowing that Mary Poppins is not the phenomenon most insiders were expecting, it will leave a lot of room for Spidey and Bumblebee to reach a very good multiplex. Also, let's keep in mind BO's estimate is generally lower than the real number. All things considered, I remain hopeful.

PS: What about Ralph? Underperforming sequel after an already discreet original. The series is probably on its way out. Sorry, Sonic.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Not sure if there is a Western stigma against animated films. Animated films are sure box office success more often than not, because parents are always searching for things to do with their children. I do think maybe animated superhero films are a harder sell. People would probably rather watch them in live-action.
The reason that people prefer to see superheroes in live action is because animation is seen as a lesser medium meant for children and immature adults. That's the stigma, and Pixar and Disney are really the only studios that have managed to escape that charge.

Before Spider-Verse, there was Mask of the Phantasm. MotP is as good or better than most live action Batman films, yet it didn't perform to the level of the live action films and it rarely gets brought up in conversations of best Batman films outside of places like Era.

Like Mask of the Phantasm before it, I'd wager many adults who would normally be all about Spider-man don't want to give Spider-Verse a chance because they just see it as an animated knock-off version for kids and not a "real" Spider-Man movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.