• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
We live in a world where a mediocre live action remake of The Jungle Book with bad musical segments almost cleared a billion.

The Greatest Showman did 430M WW.

There's no way to construct a reasonable prediction for modern musicals, especially not from Disney.

There is some reason to be worried for Dumbo. But who knows?

There is no reason to be worried about Lion King.

There is even more reason to be worried about Aladdin than Dumbo. But who knows?

Hindsight is not a superpower, this is all just fantasy football we talk in here anyway :V
Ehhh. I'll give you Greatest Showman; no one could have called that. But I think it should have been no surprise Jungle Book did well. "Cool adventure story in the jungle" has fairly universal appeal, especially compared to something like Mary Poppins. The surprise there was just how well it performed.

Lion King is obviously a safe bet. Aladdin will probably be fine too unless it's as bad as the early material makes it look. I can't call it with Dumbo.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Incredibles 2 and Teen Titans Go to the Movies also released.

People seem willing enough to go see original Superheroes like The incredibles or Big Hero 6 (which might as well be original with how much was changed from the comic property no one but Slayven knew about).

However, when it is an animated adaptation of a superhero that has been in live action films, it get's treated as a lesser film.

Other than TTGttM, which had a $10M budget, Spider-verse is going to have the lowest worldwide gross of the year for superhero films by at least $200M.

Dec 9, 2017
Solo was going to bomb December too.

Spiderman Homecoming
Thor Ragnarok
Black Panther
Avengers Infinity War
Ant Man and the Wasp

all came out in a 12 month period and did great at the box office but 2 SW movies in 6 months was too much? I'm not rollin.

Another 6 months wasn't going to improve that dreadful marketing campaign.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So Michael Bay kinda destroyed the Transformers franchise? Bumblebee was damn good.

I would say he really drove it into the group with way too many movies. Bumblebee was good but it needed more time to distance itself from the Bay films. It's essentially a reboot that retcons much of the Bay films, but it came within a year of the last movies release. Obviously it was originally intended to be part of the Bayverse and that changed, but still this would have been much better given a few years off to separate itself from the Bay-fatiuge and to create a proper starting point for a new launch.

Most people seem to think it's just another sequel in the last TF series and they are tired of those movies

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Spider-Man's hold is depressing. Wish the general audience would start taking animation seriously outside of just being movies to take their kids to.

Spider-Man has terrible marketing. I still don't have a clue what the movie is supposed to be about. Plus I can't take your movie seriously when one of the spider men is a pig.

Oct 25, 2017
Incredibles 2 and Teen Titans Go to the Movies also released.

People seem willing enough to go see original Superheroes like The incredibles or Big Hero 6 (which might as well be original with how much was changed from the comic property no one but Slayven knew about).

However, when it is an animated adaptation of a superhero that has been in live action films, it get's treated as a lesser film.

Other than TTGttM, which had a $10M budget, Spider-verse is going to have the lowest worldwide gross of the year for superhero films by at least $200M.
Seems like the difference is that these are Disney films that had huge marketing pushes.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I want Spider-man to be doing far better. : (

Aquaman is off to a good start.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Solo was going to bomb December too.

Spiderman Homecoming
Thor Ragnarok
Black Panther
Avengers Infinity War
Ant Man and the Wasp

all came out in a 12 month period and did great at the box office but 2 SW movies in 6 months was too much? I'm not rollin.

Another 6 months wasn't going to improve that dreadful marketing campaign.

Not releasing Solo 4 weeks after the biggest film of the generation (and one week after Deadpool 2, which made over $300m domestic) probably would have helped it. Releasing a full year later would have certainly been long enough for Star Wars hype to replenish.

There's only one marvel. Everything else there IS fatigue if you release 2 films from the same franchise in 6 months, and there certainly was with Star Wars after TLJ.

Also Star Wars was MADE for the holiday season. Star Wars is plastered all over the fucking place if you ever go Christmas shopping in Nov/Dec, and I think all of that extra marketing and brand awareness played a big factor in the last 3 Star Wars December films making over $1B each.

Now I'm not saying Solo would have made a billion, because the bottom line is people didn't want to see not Harrison Ford in that role... but it absolutely would have done better in that Mary Poppins slot than the May slot it was placed in because of some twisted nostalgia for the original release date of Star Wars in 1977, when you had 1 (or 0) big blockbuster releases a year.

I don't expect a non-December Star Wars release for a WHILE.

Dec 12, 2017
I'm convinced that had Solo and R1's dates been switched, Solo would've made a billion and R1 would've flopped.

Maybe but who knows, really? My biggest gripe with Solo was casting Not Harrison Ford. Also, the film had production turmoil.

That wouldn't have changed regardless of when it released. R1 for better or worse, is a crowd pleaser.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Let me add my voice to the people wondering why is Marry Poppins a thing? It was destined to bomb especially on the same week as Aquaman.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the logic of putting Solo, a movie that no one wanted to see, into a time frame that has much more competition would somehow translate into better business.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The DCEU is real real weird man.

So, Aquaman, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman are popular. The larger DC franchise (JL, Batman, Superman) are currently box office poison.

Good job all around guys.

Dec 12, 2017
I don't get the logic of putting Solo, a movie that no one wanted to see, into a time frame that has much more competition would somehow translate into better business.

Cause people want to pretend the reason it failed WORLDWIDE was because it didn't release in December, when SW releases in December are a fairly new phenomenon.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

christmas has nowhere NEAR the competition of late april/may/early june this year. Solo was sandwiched between Infinity War, Deadpool 2, Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World. Fuck.

Dec 12, 2017

So, Aquaman, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman are popular. The larger DC franchise (JL, Batman, Superman) are currently box office poison.

Here's a hint:

Zack Snyder didn't understand how to properly make Batman and Superman.

Patty Jenkins and James Wan understood how to make their films.

It's really that simple.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Aquaman and WW were decent films that gave the audience what they wanted and didn't try to go all bullshit pseudo-intellectual.

Suicide Squad had the best marketing of any recent film.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
Aquaman might not pass Justice League with that number domestically, will be close

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe star wars isnt that appealing when there arent any space Samurai on screen, Rougue One atleast had Vader

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Spider-verse, I wonder if it's the art style that's putting people off from watching it.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

I feel a normal good batman film would perform pretty well, like WW and Aquaman

I'm convinced that had Solo and R1's dates been switched, Solo would've made a billion and R1 would've flopped.
I dunno, I think you still have two big problems with a young Han Solo movie that can't be reconciled no matter what: one, does anyone care about Han when Harrison Ford isn't playing him, and two, does anyone really want amounts to a mere "younger" Han Solo movie when we already have three films with a young Han Solo, who had his story arc brought to a close in TFA.

That being said, I do feel that the whole "OT prequel" credit got spent on Rogue One in terms of how valuable that is in theaters, so it's no surprise that Disney is shifting course to telling those stories on TV.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man's hold is depressing. Wish the general audience would start taking animation seriously outside of just being movies to take their kids to.

-52.7% (estimated)

IT HAS THE 2ND BEST 2ND WEEK HOLD OF ANY SUPERHERO FILM OF 2018 DURING A WEEK WITH MASSIVE COMPETITION.

2018 Best 2nd week drop SH:
Black Panther -44.7%

Spider-verse had a better hold than Incredibles 2: -56.0%

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/allti...e=SMALLDROPWID&sort=2ndwknd&order=DESC&p=.htm

It should do well over the next two weeks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
christmas has nowhere NEAR the competition of late april/may/early june this year. Solo was sandwiched between Infinity War, Deadpool 2, Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World. Fuck.

Infinity War came out a full month before. Jurassic World a full month after. Incredibles 2 was in its 4th weekened. So it was mostly just Deadpool 2. If people really wanted to see Solo, there was time to do so between those other huge films

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Daaaaaamn, didn't expect Aquaman to come on top. Well nice that it definitely not bombing lol. What the hell at Mary Poppins.

And Spider-Man deserves so much more. :/

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
They finally put out a good Transformers with designs that don't look like shit and it underperforms.

That figures.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Poppins deserves better, dammit.

4SAJ94E5yU0dfG6ZRe3n_85sywk=.gif

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Infinity War came out a full month before. Jurassic World a full month after. Incredibles 2 was in its 4th weekened. So it was mostly just Deadpool 2. If people really wanted to see Solo, there was time to do so between those other huge films

Yep. The general audiences had plenty of time, they just didn't want to see it. It's time for people to let Solo go.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Even with strong legs, Bumblebee might struggle to hit $100m in the US

Moral of the story? Don't wait until your franchise is a desecrated corpse to finally start making good movies

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Episode 9 comes out in December next year right? I wonder what I kind of Box office its going to have after Solo and the last Jedi.

Status
Not open for further replies.