• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
That Welcome to Marwen number...

giphy.gif

Sad for Bumblebee and MPR. They were both fun movies that deserved to do well, but this battleground was no joke.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
AM: 410,700,000
WW: 409,283,604

I didn't realize that Aquaman had already outsold Wonder Woman's international gross. This will be a huge movie. I'm kinda interested in seeing it and Mary Poppins (Nicole Kidman, her new box office draw).

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why Disney didn't understand a year+ ago that Solo should have always been Dec and kept that SW xmas trend going.
It's really quite amazing how stupid Disney is sometimes. Solo came way too early after 8, and now there's a year and a half wait between movies.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
How on earth does Mary Poppins have a budget of $135 mil?? Surely you could have made that shit for $20.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
With MPR bombing, that means Solo died for nothing.
Kathy Kennedy has been vindicated.

Solo probably still would have bombed worldwide though. Overseas audiences did not care one bit about Han Solo. But I think the domestic gross could have been much bigger and in line with the other movies if they released during the holidays.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf imagine the hype if Spider-Verse was an live-action MCU movie. People would have been going apeshit.

How on earth does Mary Poppins have a budget of $135 mil?? Surely you could have made that shit for $20.
The original was pretty darn expensive for its day (back when $4.4 million meant something for a film's budget), so it's not too crazy that this would wind up being pretty spendy. The question is, though, is why someone would spend that kind of money on a film whose primary audience, those that loved the original, are a pretty tiny portion of the theater-going public. More dollars than sense over at Disney, I think.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
So, going beyond the headlining movies:

Creed 2 really came to a hard stop this weekend. It was looking like it could hit $130M earlier, but with the >70% drop this weekend, that won't happen. Maybe $115M if Holiday legs hold up. Still over the first though.

Ralph will drop behind Coco tomorrow in daily totals. Hitting $200M domestic is up in the air. I am leaning towards no, but it is usually hard to tell. Disney might push for it, since it will be close either way. Still, not much of an improvement over the first. There are a lot of territories left overseas, so too early to judge a final worldwide take.

The Favorite came in a bit weaker than expected with this last expansion. I do wonder if Fox Searchlight played it too safe. My city of 1M had to wait until this weekend to get the film. It should do well in the awards nomination season though, so I assume legs will be steady, even if grosses are pretty small.

Mortal Engines probably won't hit $20M domestic, even with holiday legs. If it wasn't the holiday, it wouldn't hit $15M domestic.

Once Upon a Deadpool doesn't seem like it was worth doing, unless they make their money back on Home video. I haven't heard news of a Chinese release for this PG-13 version either.

A Star is Born hit $200M domestic. Pretty crazy given its budget. Bradley Cooper has a free pass to do what he wants for a film or two.

Bohemian Rhapsody looked like it could have hit $200M as well, but is dropping off fairly quickly now. Maybe $190M. Also a worldwide total that will exceed $700M. People liked their musicals/music biopics this year.

Fantastic Beasts 2 was dumped. It's funny how closely FB1 > FB2 will mirror Days of Future Past > Apocalypse domestically.

Robin Hood dropped 92%. haha.

Vox Lux is probably going to finish under $1M total.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man's hold is depressing. Wish the general audience would start taking animation seriously outside of just being movies to take their kids to.

Vox Lux is probably going to finish under $1M total.
Neon has been struggling hard to find another success like I, Tonya, but I think that's down to them practically being gifted one of the more outrageous true crime stories of the 90s. Nothing in their slate really has that same appeal, aside from Three Identical Strangers (which I recall doing rather well for a documentary), and a venomous takedown of the pop music industry from a director who has largely clung onto more artsy films in his career in front of and behind the camera just wasn't going to do that for them. They're not a bad distributor in terms of finding quality films, but I don't think they're going to be the next A24 anytime soon.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Looks like Aquaman is overcoming its name. Always felt like Ant Man while great movies just can't get past the name and may never blow up( they probably don't expect them to blow up). Maybe the cool look of Momoa and Aquaman just being more known for a long time helped him in the end.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Worldwide box office numbers for those curious, espicially since people seemed to be surprised by Bohemian.

LV2k0X7.png

Source: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2018&p=.htm

Aquaman will probably enter top 10 and knock out Fantastic Beasts considering it's current pace, Bohemian, Star is Born, Grinch and Venom might see a few more weeks for a few higher numbers (Venom is within spitting distance of Homecoming numbers).

Ralph 2 is at 27th and should enter the top 25 when it opens in it's remaining regions.

Spidey is currently 49th at $129 million worldwide, it''ll go higher for certain.

Mortal Engines is down at 83rd and $53 million worldwide, Bumblebee is 84th at $52 in just a single weekend.

Now to see if we get some insane Jumanji/Greatest Showman legs to flip this list upside down or not.

If there is a film on this list that you haven't heard of, and it's got a 99% foreign gross, it's probably from China.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Not surprised with Aquaman that had every showing I saw was pretty packed.

Mary Poppins was okay but given the not so full theater I was in yesterday I figured it wasn't going to be setting the world on fire.

Marwen?... I regret seeing. Fetish film trying to be quirky, and I swear there were some scenes in the trailer that were cut from the actual movie

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Worldwide box office numbers for those curious, espicially since people seemed to be surprised by Bohemian.

LV2k0X7.png

Source: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2018&p=.htm

Aquaman will probably enter top 10 and knock out Fantastic Beasts considering it's current pace, Bohemian, Star is Born, Grinch and Venom might see a few more weeks for a few higher numbers (Venom is within spitting distance of Homecoming numbers).

Ralph 2 is at 27th and should enter the top 25 when it opens in it's remaining regions.

Spidey is currently 49th at $129 million worldwide, it''ll go higher for certain.

Mortal Engines is down at 83rd and $53 million worldwide, Bumblebee is 84th at $52 in just a single weekend.

Now to see if we get some insane Jumanji/Greatest Showman legs to flip this list upside down or not.

If there is a film on this list that you haven't heard of, and it's got a 99% foreign gross, it's probably from China.
Venom will just have to be content on being the third highest grossing Spider-Man movie worldwide.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Took the family to see Welcome to Marwen. It got better as the film went on. Worth the viewing in my mind. It looks like a bomb though. Maybe with word of mouth it will get more interest.

As for Disney, yea they have waaaaay too much in the oven. In 2019 they have Dumbo, Captain Marvel, Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, Avengerse End Game, Star Wars IX, and that isn't even close to everything. They need to slow down because all these are doing is canibalizing their sales.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Took the family to see Welcome to Marwen. It got better as the film went on. Worth the viewing in my mind. It looks like a bomb though. Maybe with word of mouth it will get more interest.

As for Disney, yea they have waaaaay too much in the oven. In 2019 they have Dumbo, Captain Marvel, Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, Avengerse End Game, Star Wars IX, and that isn't even close to everything. They need to slow down because all these are doing is canibalizing their sales.
They still put out less films than most studios though.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So Michael Bay kinda destroyed the Transformers franchise? Bumblebee was damn good.

I don't know if people didn't turn up for Bumblebee because everyone was bored of Bayhem after The Last Knight or they ignored it because it didn't have Bayhem. It honestly might be a mix of both.

I'll probably watch it end of the week. Make it the last big film of the year I see before 2019 starts.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks for Bumblebee. Wish it had more given the director and it being actually faithful to the franchise for once.

Should have known Aquaman would've taken it. Audiences love their dumb action movies (not a diss against the film, pretty sure Wan intentionally made a dumb action film).

Outside of Marvel, Disney Live Action seems to make decent but not amazing numbers relative to their brand. Most of Star Wars and the live action remakes of Disney properties seem to be driven more by nostalgia than anything else. Or at least that's what Solo and Poppins seem to indicate.

Glad Spider-verse seems to have good legs even if I wish the movie was doing way better.

Last edited:

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
A few weeks ago there was nothing in the cinema and now all these films are out at the same time why is that?

I really loved Bumblebee and Spiderman was even better, I hope the marketing doesn't kill off the chances of sequels.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You guys are taking crazy pills if you think Solo would have done better in place of Poppins.

Yup. Solo would have been fighting for the same exact audience as Aquaman, Bumblebee and Spider-Man. I believe it's delusional to think Solo's situation would have improved dramatically.

Disney released Poppins this week because it's a very different type of film from the rest of the competition. It's a lighter musical family film that had a lot of oscar buzz going for it.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Mary Poppins is something old people like to think is very popular but it really isn't. I don't know many minorities that care about Mary Poppins at all. I've never seen the original and I'm in my mid thirties.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Mary Poppins is something old people like to think is very popular but it really isn't. I don't know many minorities that care about Mary Poppins at all. I've never seen the original and I'm in my mid thirties.
Lin-Miranda Manuel has been on press tour overdrive on Spanish morning shows (from my experience).

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I asked myself the same thing when all the "Mary Poppins is gonna fucking destroy everything" hoopla was going on. I thought the trailers were cute, but what the hell were modern audiences supposed to gravitate toward? It played up nostalgia hard despite the fact that the majority of people nostalgic for Mary Poppins are now grandparents.

I guess everyone just saw "classic Disney property" and that put the blinders up?
We live in a world where a mediocre live action remake of The Jungle Book with bad musical segments almost cleared a billion.

The Greatest Showman did 430M WW, on a weaker OW than poppins.

There's no way to construct a reasonable prediction for modern musicals, especially not from Disney.

There is some reason to be worried for Dumbo. But who knows?

There is no reason to be worried about Lion King.

There is even more reason to be worried about Aladdin than Dumbo. But who knows?

Hindsight is not a superpower, this is all just fantasy football we talk in here anyway :V

Last edited:

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Spider-Man's hold is depressing. Wish the general audience would start taking animation seriously outside of just being movies to take their kids to.

This. In my perfect world, we would have had several high budget theatrical animated films from both Marvel (Disney/Pixar) and DC (WB Animation). Animation is just better suited to depicting superhero stories on screen, IMO, as shown by SV. Instead, the only such theatrical releases of superhero animated films outside of SV this year were Fathom releases of DC direct-to-video films, which, while I usually like well enough, are hampered in their animation quality due to budget.

Dec 12, 2017
Eh it's two completely different properties. We're just playing the "What if" game.
No we aren't.

Lord and Miller have a recent, demonstrative track record of tuning in with the target audience.

In the end, Kasdan got his way in the form of an old school, no frills director to "safely" land his baby.

Funnily, he forgets his best received SW film was from a director that bucked trends (and in that case, GL) and took a red marker to the script and tone. It resulted in a not safe, not by the numbers epic we all remember fondly to this day.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

You're discounting that it's a very weird (different) animation style, not to mention the plot centers around the multiverse. This was apparently a very hard sell for general audiences to take a chance on.

Status
Not open for further replies.