• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

yOUqNZ3.png

gafaydr.png

T9tEVH8.png

IgLKO1G.png

hF4PTuW.png

'Aquaman' Grabs $67M+ Weekend For $72M+ Cume; 2018 B.O. Poised To Pass $11.4B For New Record

Warner Bros. is calling Aquaman at $67.4M for the three-days, and with Amazon Prime and Wednesday previews currently stands at $72.1M in the U.S/Canada. Lower than what many were expecting ($70M+) on midday Friday and early Saturday, but within the industry range that was being projected over three days. As predicted by many Aquaman was frontloaded on Friday (which included Thursday previews) with Saturday -23% for $21.5M. Sunday is expected to bring in $17.8M, Monday because it's Christmas Eve will be lower as business for all pics drops, but rivals think by the 25th the Jason Momoa muscular hero will thrust himself out of the water to greater cash, possibly even $100M+.

Worldwide on this DC film, Warner Bros. is over the moon: Aquaman is at $482M and will hit half billion by Christmas. The studio was originally going to open Aquaman in October and switched it to December, and they have zero regrets about that. Another thing for Warner Bros. to boast about is that Aquaman made more this weekend than the next three films: Bumblebee, Mary Poppins Returns and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and that shows you where the money is this weekend. By the way, in the battle for second place, Poppins beat Bumblebee, $22.2M to $21M. She had a Saturday of $8.6M, and the VW bug posted $7M.

STX's Jennifer Lopez comedy Second Act is filing a $6.5M three-day. The pic in the long-run after Christmas should be fine for the studio unlike Universal/DreamWorks' Welcome to Marwen which died a horrible death with $2.3M off a $40M-ish production cost at 1,911 screens. Our analysis in the previous post about how this movie adaptation of a feature documentary went sideways.

ComScore reports today that the 2018 domestic box office just beat the 2016 record by a nose: $11.383B to $11.382B.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Aquaman - $483M
Bumblebee - $52M
Mary Poppins Returns - $51M

Bohemian Rhapsody - $667M
Fantastic Beasts 2 - $611M
The Grinch - $423M
Ralph Breaks the Internet - $308M
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms - $161M
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse - $130M
Mortal Engines - $54M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Can't get over how much of a bomba Mary Poppins is.

I asked why the hell Disney released Nutcracker so early and people were telling me it was to make room for Mary Poppins. Whole lot of good that did.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Can't get over how much of a bomba Mary Poppins is.

I asked why the hell Disney released Nutcracker so early and people were telling me it was to make room for Mary Poppins. Whole lot of good that did.

This is a problem Disney will face in the future as well they have wayyyy to much content they have to release. at some point you can't see it all and some films fall to the side.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This is a problem Disney will face in the future as well they have wayyyy to much stuff they have to release. at some point you can't see it all and some films fall to the side.
Agreed. I think they need to slow down production of all their films, not just Star Wars.

There is literally zero reason why Nutcracker and Mary Poppins should have released in the same year.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman surpasses Spider-Verse in just a weekend. I will never understand how people choose which movie to go watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman, Bumblebee and Mary Poppins cannibalized each other without a winner (well Aquaman is the winner kinda)

can't say the same about Spider-man Animated Universe...

Yea lots of factors, but the biggest is these 3 movies were cannibalizing each other. But it's also the holiday weekend. People still traveling and shopping. I'm sure a clearer picture will be made over the week and into next weekend.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
can't say the same about Spider-man Animated Universe...

Which is a damn shame. The best film of the year deserves more attention. Seems for a lot of people in the west animation is still seen as being for kids.

I've been beating the drum for the movie with word of mouth. It will do well when it hits the home market but maybe this kinda movie would have done better in August or early april/may

Oct 27, 2017
I find it a little funny looking back at old threads and posts on the internet of people certain Mary Poppins was going to destroy Aquaman at the BO.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Weird to see so many smash hits and yet also so many disappointments from one company. Wrinkle in Time, Solo, Nutcracker, and now Mary Poppins.

At least they can't blame originality as being the cause.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Who does Mary Poppins appeal to? Arent the people that watched the original in their 80s?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everybody should keep in mind that we're entering the Christmas holidays stretch so these weekend debutes are smaller than they might have otherwise been.

Truly makes me sad. Solo should have been held.

I keep on thinking that Solo was a last Christmas release haha. With the added break + Christmas it would have done better yeah. Though that also says something about the IP being this exposed and needing the Christmas season for those numbers. Disney needs to cut it out with these yearly and yearly plus releases.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Poppins is a-floppins

Too bad about Bomblebee, I guess Paramount/Bay did run that franchise into the ground after all.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god the grinch could still get within spitting distance of 300m.

I feel the film has one last christmas push and that will probably be it for the film.

People need to get their butts into Spiderverse, I've seen it twice already, might do a third in new years.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/fa...contest-venom-fantastic-beasts-aquaman.60909/

I guess we have to wait for actuals but we can get a rough idea on who won this now. Creatchee was the closest before but had Aquaman at $78 Million.

I know it's not me, over on Venom, Under on beasts and Under on Aquaman (By a far bit).

It depends on the legs of Aquaman, but it looks like the winner of the fall season is probably going to be Grinch of all things (US at least, Venom is the winner worldwide mostly due to China, though Aquaman might compete as well again due to China).

Darn you Illumination. Boringly safe wins again. People need to stop watching their films, I don't want to see all the talent at Dreamworks got absorbed into Illuminations models just because they make more money (Though I feel this probably will happen unless Dragons does exceedingly well).

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody - $667M

That is the most impressive number this weekend. Who saw this coming?

Well you could make the same statement about Christopher Robin or Nutcracker or John Carter or...oh.
Disney is a lowkey shitshow without Marvel or Star Wars tbh.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aquaman surpasses Spider-Verse in just a weekend. I will never understand how people choose which movie to go watch.

The only place I've even heard of the spiderverse is on era. I've never seen a banner ad, a YouTube ad, a news article... I don't watch tv so I don't know about ads on there, but ive see. ads for movies around the internet for the past month or so including aqua man, bumblebee, etc and never spiderverse. Assuming most people don't even know what it is just like me.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Looks like we're getting Aquaman 2. Always bet on the Chosen Wan.

I'll be going to see it and Spider-Verse myself this coming weekend.

Who does Mary Poppins appeal to? Arent the people that watched the original in their 80s?
I asked myself the same thing when all the "Mary Poppins is gonna fucking destroy everything" hoopla was going on. I thought the trailers were cute, but what the hell were modern audiences supposed to gravitate toward? It played up nostalgia hard despite the fact that the majority of people nostalgic for Mary Poppins are now grandparents.

I guess everyone just saw "classic Disney property" and that put the blinders up?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping this slows them down on all these bullshit live action remakes (though MP was originally 95% live action anyway).

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Not so good start for Bumblebee or Poppins. Especially poppins, since overseas is not going to make up for this as well as it will for Bumblebee.

Good hold for Spidey, hopefully it can keep going strong through christmas, it deserves so much more!

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yea lots of factors, but the biggest is these 3 movies were cannibalizing each other. But it's also the holiday weekend. People still traveling and shopping. I'm sure a clearer picture will be made over the week and into next weekend.

It's All leg-dependent, Holiday and post-holiday helped movies like Jumanji to shine even with TLJ is out

Which is a damn shame. The best film of the year deserves more attention. Seems for a lot of people in the west animation is still seen as being for kids.

I've been beating the drum for the movie with word of mouth. It will do well when it hits the home market but maybe this kinda movie would have done better in August or early april/may

Superhero Animated movies don't preform well as much as live action
DC had some decent Animated movies but none of them grossed $100m in North America
why would Spiderman Into The Spiderverse and its marketing is weaker than Venom and Homecoming together

+$300m is the number the movie need to be profitable

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I asked myself the same thing when all the "Mary Poppins is gonna fucking destroy everything" hoopla was going on. I thought the trailers were cute, but what the hell were modern audiences supposed to gravitate toward? It played up nostalgia hard despite the fact that the majority of people nostalgic for Mary Poppins are now grandparents.

I guess everyone just saw "classic Disney property" and that put the blinders up?
People love to drink the Disney kool-aid.

Not the best vintage this season tho.

IllegalJealousIndigowingedparrot-size_restricted.gif

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
That seems weird that Mortal Engines has the exact same theatre count for its second week, after how badly it reviewed and took in its first week. Universal must have locked in specific screenings or something.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Not so good start for Bumblebee or Poppins. Especially poppins, since overseas is not going to make up for this as well as it will for Bumblebee.

Good hold for Spidey, hopefully it can keep going strong through christmas, it deserves so much more!

I wouldn't hold your breath for amazing overseas numbers for Bumblebee either outside of China.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't hold your breath for amazing overseas numbers for Bumblebee either outside of China.

Last I looked it was buzzing to 70m OW but I haven't double checked recently. China might think that it's still an action film, so we will see the kind of legs it has. It should at least have decent word of mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.