• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get behind the JJ dog pile at all

I can't comment much on the film itself, I haven't seen it yet, but it seems it's very much a design by committee film, with JJ there only to point the camera after being begged by Disney to bail them out. Hasn't re gone on record after TFA saying he didn't want to make another SW film in the first place?

To call the guy a talentless hack is childish, especially when he's made some damn fine films. ST '09 Is still excellent.

Point the finger at the higher ups at Disney for not having the slightest inkling of a plan before committing to a "new" trilogy.

All of Hamill's work, especially at the end, is just brilliant

TLJ is certainly rough in spots, but the main material with Luke, Rey, and Kelso is the strongest material in the franchise

Watch the movie. It fails first and foremost at being a decent movie before even stepping into the discussion about the Star Wars story it tells. It has awful editing, almost no transitions and no character defining moments. It's awfully directed.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel's secret isn't hard, they actively listen to and address criticisms of their previous movies. People complained the action sucked and was hard to follow, they improved cinematography. People complained about lack of stakes, Marvel dialed it way up. People complained about villains, Marvel hit us with many unique, complex and memorable villains.
ssyLp8Tbc4rbUeJUukh1QaVtlNnvTCqmFGj9busJXoDjQjtw6FSyq_j1b0a2EmZxrZAvGCpF1gXlFAZzhe9UFISjB46cHX6EbeFWUrJ3huCDBE_ipdE2BAMZSNzmgFH2MG4JFSIvEUw

When did that happen, because the grand finale horde mode scene in Endgame was incredibly weak.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I can't comment much on the film itself, I haven't seen it yet, but it seems it's very much a design by committee film, with JJ there only to point the camera after being begged by Disney to bail them out. Hasn't re gone on record after TFA saying he didn't want to make another SW film in the first place?

To call the guy a talentless hack is childish, especially when he's made some damn fine films. ST '09 Is still excellent.

Point the finger at the higher ups at Disney for not having the slightest inkling of a plan before committing to a "new" trilogy.

Right after 09, Abrams gave us Into Darkness, a film that has many of the exact same problems TROS has.

But you're right, he's not the sole perpetrator here. Iger and Kennedy also deserve a lot of the blame.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that end action scene wasnt particularly good

But the buildup for it was hype as shit and one of the best marvel moments ever

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Marvel's secret isn't hard, they actively listen to and address criticisms of their previous movies. People complained the action sucked and was hard to follow, they improved cinematography. People complained about lack of stakes, Marvel dialed it way up. People complained about villains, Marvel hit us with many unique, complex and memorable villains.

Meanwhile with TLJ everyone stuck their head in the sand and dismissed any criticism as "if you dislike TLJ you're an alt-right white supremacists".

I think you seriously underestimate how insanely difficult it is to pump out 20+ movies in a decade, have them maintain interconnected continuity, be consistently good, and grow in box office year over year, with one of the most beloved saga finales of its era.

It wouldn't be possible if Ike was still around, it's no coincidence Phase 3 is far better than 1 or 2.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blaming TLJ is dumb as fuck. I also dislike the movie now despite initially really loving it, but no one held a gun to JJ's head and told him to make stupid ass decisions for TROS. It doesn't matter what TLJ did. If he was a competent writer, he could've written a good story with plenty of interesting things to happen. That's not on Johnson.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

All of Hamill's work, especially at the end, is just brilliant

TLJ is certainly rough in spots, but the main material with Luke, Rey, and Kelso is the strongest material in the franchise
Agree.

People in general here and similar outlets always lash out in embarrassing ways, especially for just a fucking movie.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Right after 09, Abrams gave us Into Darkness, a film that has many of the exact same problems TROS has.

But you're right, he's not the sole perpetrator here. Iger and Kennedy also deserve a lot of the blame.
I don't know too much about ST outside of the recent trilogy, but I remember really digging Into Darkness. Hell I'd place it above TFA.

And hey, as the director, surely he has some heat to catch, but it does seem this was a paycheck for him and nothing more.
Yeah that end action scene wasnt particularly good

But the buildup for it was hype as shit and one of the best marvel moments ever
That's very true and why the scene manages to still land so well

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Im not a big fan of abrams but the people who liked tfa and are now throwing abrams to the bushes after this are pathetic. To claim hes responsible for one and somehow not the other lol

TFA is much better at being a movie than TROS is. Plus a lot of people including myself thought it was a good idea to reset the Star Wars after the PT by using ANH as an inspiration. Little did we know that it wasn't some genius move but just typical J.J. copying movies left and right.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
I saw one person in a thread say they hope this ends his career.

I just.....can't with this negativity anymore. I really don't care if you don't like the film but you'd think JJ poisoned peoples dogs and then sept with their spouse with how some are acting.

I'm just tired, not just from TROS controversy but all the carried over anger from TFA and TLJ. I like the movies but the fanbase ha made me so exhausted. It's not the movies that are making me hate Star Wars, it's the fans.

Sorry for the rant just needed to get that off my chest.
So it turned out theTLJ supporters are just as toxic as the TLJ haters. What a surprise. I blamed Kennedy more than anyone for this trilogy, it was sort of entertaining but the lack of a clear vision for it ruined the whole story.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know too much about ST outside of the recent trilogy, but I remember really digging Into Darkness. Hell I'd place it above TFA.

And hey, as the director, surely he has some heat to catch, but it does seem this was a paycheck for him and nothing more.

That's very true and why the scene manages to still land so well

A good action scene is maybe 30% the actual scene and 70% the build-up and being actually emotionally invested in the characters fighting.

Its why I've it before 1000 times, the fight scenes in the prequels might be stunning from a technical standpoint, but they do nothing for me. I feel more investment and dread watching Obi-wan fighter Vader in A New Hope (yes, even with the wonky choreography and adorable little old guy spin Guinness does) than I do watching ANY fight scene in the prequels.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The Cap/Tony/Thor vs Thanos fight was pretty great.

The orgy less so but the great beats like the van carry it.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The two Star Wars films that followed TLJ severely underperformed. The two Star Wars films that preceded TLJ did gangbusters. At some point TLJ stans will have to face the truth.
I'm genuinely curious to know what the "truth" is. Because your post doesn't actually say anything about TLJ. Is the "truth" that it underperformed at the box office? Because it didn't. Is the "truth" that it underperformed in reviews? Because it didn't. And even if it did either of those things (it didn't) you're attaching other movies successes and failures to it. Which isn't how anything works.

Oct 27, 2017
Blaming TLJ seems bizarre when it performed so well. JJ is definitely capable of making a bad movie. Into Darkness was pretty bad compared to Star Trek 09, like how ROS is pretty bad compared to TFA. I don't think ROS really is a bad movie though.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Star Wars' result in China is just scary, the rest is funny. A blockbuster without China!? That's a joke

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine talking about "stans" for a critically acclaimed movie that did 1.3 billion at the box office

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty crazy how differently I feel about Star Wars now compared to right out of TFA.

Solid work, Disney!

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Werent you just recently praising Aquaman's army clash at the end of that movie?
I did. The visuals, scale, and choreography of that last encounter is better than anything on the MCU.

Endgame is certainty better than Aquaman as a whole, it's not even close, but the action and visuals are leagues ahead in the latter

Pretty crazy how differently I feel about Star Wars now compared to right out of TFA.

Solid work, Disney!
My initial reaction after leaving TFA was one of indifference. The trailers made it look so much more darker and interesting than the final product ended up being. It's still fine, and very rewatchable thanks to its lean pacing, but even at the time, it didn't hit me at all.

Dec 22, 2017

Thank you. Not to mention it had a short production timeframe for a movie this big. JJ has made some good movies, and will continue to make more. TFA is excellent and brought Star Wars back from the dead, and I will forever appreciate him for that.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory False Equivalence, Excusing Harassment, Prior Severe Infractions and Long History of Trolling Sensitive Threads
I mean, only one side harassed an actress off of social media, and continue to send harassment towards RJ to this day.
The harassment from the other side is much more spread out since it's directed at fans and not specific actors. It's also done to people who, if they suffer from it, are not going to be reported on

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just starting to believe that Star Wars isn't the brand that some people thought it was as time goes on.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I did. The visuals, scale, and choreography of that last encounter is better than anything on the MCU.

Endgame is certainty better than Aquaman as a whole, it's not even close, but the action and visuals are leagues ahead in the latter
All I remember from that army fight is a whole lot of blue and orange whereas Endgame had a lot memorable character beats throughout.

And the way Ocean Master and Aquaman moved during their fight made it look like two totally CG animated videogame characters, even by the stabdard of these big effects heavy movies . Too clean and smooth. The action in Endgame was much more impactful.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I honestly expect that in a few years the prevailing opinion will be that they are worse than the prequels.
Those people would have to have literal brain worms. While I might enjoy two of the prequels more than TRoS, all three are still mediocre-to-bad films with clunky dialogue, awful scripts, bad acting, CGI that looks faker than a paper-mache CT scanner, some of the worst racial caricatures in modern film history, etc.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Those people would have to have literal brain worms. While I might enjoy two of the prequels more than TRoS, all three are still mediocre-to-bad films with clunky dialogue, awful scripts, bad acting, CGI that looks faker than a paper-mache CT scanner, some of the worst racial caricatures in modern film history, etc.
*Ma*clunky dialogue

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly expect that in a few years the prevailing opinion will be that they are worse than the prequels.
It's already a worse trilogy, regardless of the quality of the individual movies. It's an absolute wet fart of a story and it adds literally nothing at all to the IP as a whole as far as lore/worldbuilding etc. The prequels were a springboard to some of the best content Star Wars ever had to offer thanks to the Clone Wars. There's not a single interesting thing in this trilogy really worth exploring. Rather than grow the universe, it did nothing but shrink it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want anyone who says the prequels are better to watch any scene between the main trio in TROS then watch this.

To watch any saber battle in the ST and then come back to this.

PreciousDangerousFulmar-size_restricted.gif

4thrz.jpg

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's already a worse trilogy, regardless of the quality of the individual movies. It's an absolute wet fart of a story and it adds literally nothing at all to the IP as a whole as far as lore/worldbuilding etc. The prequels were a springboard to some of the best content Star Wars ever had to offer thanks to the Clone Wars. There's not a single interesting thing in this trilogy really worth exploring. Rather than grow the universe, it did nothing but shrink it.
Glad you can see into the future an know everything that can be done with it in from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.