• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it's why I predicted under 200OW and under a bill WW.
I thought the marketing for 9 was strong, at points very strong but it just never had that Infinity War type of hook.
Personally, I thought the marketing for TRoS was quite weak. None of the trailers or commercials really had anything particularly interesting in them compared to the ones for TFA or TLJ to me.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe people just didn't want to see Palpatine again. Plus the audience is visibly decreasing a lot day on day, so WoM might play a role here.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I have bad feeling they are going to drop Rian Johnson in January and go with Ron Howard for the 2022 movie.

Nightmare fuel.

With TROS underperforming critically and commercially along with Knives Out doing the opposite I think Johnson's stock is only going up at the moment. And before someone blames TROS performance on TLJ reaction- WOM indicators on TROS aren't looking good either and that can't be blamed on TLJ.

I don't think Johnson will be 2022 though.
Nope. It's going to Favreau with Feige producing.

I think it's Favreau but not Feige for 2022. Feige will be the one after that.
I've stanned it a long time but they need to give Justin Lin a damn call. They need someone who can come in with a different perspective and nail it, He can do it.
Lin would be good but after Beyond's failure to reignite interest in Star Trek I'm not sure LFL would view him as the go-to-guy for a new approach.

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I thought the marketing for TRoS was quite weak. None of the trailers or commercials really had anything particularly interesting in them compared to the ones for TFA or TLJ to me.
Aside from the Rey backflip, much of it was "star wars style action". The more intriguing clips came almost the night before opening.

Still, with the holidays the way they are on the calendar, there may be a higher-than-anticipated successful 2nd week, we'll see.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prediction: over the next year or so, we'll start to see a rancid, toxic "Release the Abrams Cut" style movement built around the assumption that Abrams originally wrote or directed something else and it got butchered by studio-mandated reshoots. Completely illegitimate and blatantly obviously false rumors of this are already appearing on Reddit and elsewhere among the small enclaves of people who actually enjoyed this fetid turd of a film and are angry it's underperforming.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Nah, the bad trailers/premise for TRoS didn't hook me.

Me after TLJ " Wow, all the legacy characters are gone and a great actor like Adam Driver can be the unhinged heavy for the next movie. Where will they go next?"

Me after TRoS name reveal/premise/trailer " Oh, so killing Snoke was just a lateral move and this series has to have a old wrinkly dude as the big bad for some reason."

Imo, while the people who didn't like the way TLJ ended contributed to the lower boxoffice this is similar to Solo where general audiences didn't care about JJ's trump card of bring back Palpy.

"Where can they go next?" isn't exactly a thrilling hook for general audiences. Usually a "How will they get Han back?" "Is Luke really Darth Vader's son?" "What did Yoda mean when he said 'There is another'?"

Whereas TLJ left really no story hooks to make people anticipate the next movie. Instead of people wondering what would happen to our heroes, we got muted responses to what people were looking forward to. That's a hard position to put the follow-up movie in.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018

TLJ marketing I thought was great, they were going hard on trying to answer all those questions TFA set up. Will Rey turn bad? Who the hell is Snoke? What does Luke mean all the Jedi have to end? They played off that hard and it was so good.

Here it was more so they really gave it all in terms of sheer volume of content. I couldn't turn on Univision without getting a tv spot every 30 minutes lol

RG0BS1U.gif

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
So is Kennedy done? Or has she built up enough goodwill between TFA/Mando/Galaxy's Edge to stave off her dismissal?

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Fandom Menace was real the whole time

It's like poetry. In their love of the prequels, they've manifested it in real life

A FAN BOYCOTT?!
maxresdefault.jpg

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What are these box office threads going to be like next year with no looming Star Wars film? lol

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
What are these box office threads going to be like next year with no looming Star Wars film? lol

And only two MCU movies.

I still haven't seen Skywalker and while I'll see it in theaters, everything I've heard and everything I've seen just hasn't been enough to bring me to a place of "I have to see this opening weekend". Heck, if I wasn't worried about having it spoiled, I'd probably just wait until the home video release honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you think TLJ was a good movie on it's own I think we can agree after this opening that it didn't set up a good hook for audiences to be excited for episode 9 which is definitely a factor for ROS underperforming, along with the reviews

Nope.

I watched TLJ and thought, "Man, Adam Driver as the main villain in episode 9 with his phenomenal acting is going to be amazing."

I watched the ROS trailer and saw that they sidelined him to bring back Palpatine.

That killed most of my interest in the movie.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
You mean enough goodwill from the past 35 years? lol at anyone that brings Kennedy up because TROS when she's been a big part of movies that have grossed over $10b ww.
Hey, I like her. I don't want to see her go. How many failures at the BO do you think she's immune to before she faces scrutiny?

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Hey, I like her. I don't want to see her go. How many failures at the BO do you think she's immune to before she faces scrutiny?

But she's only had one failure at the box office, Solo. TROS will be a big disappointment though. Maybe they will can her now, who knows, but they just renewed her to 2022 so I assume they give her one more shot with the 2022 SW movie they just slated.

Status
Not open for further replies.