• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I think its safe to say Rian Johnson is to blame for Rise of Skywalker's underperformance. He failed to get everybody excited for the third and final entry smh
I blame Disney for hiding an important part of the movie in fortnite lol. Honestly, audiences aren't dumb. They can smell a panicked course correction a mile away.A large portion of the audience didn't return after TFA because it was just more of the same and a decent chunk didn't return after TLJ because the marketing has been bad/rehash focused. "Palpys back!" is a fun meme but I'm not rushing to the theater for memes (Cats Boxoffice)

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
ANH was so great because Lucas got the help and advice of a bunch of other film makers. When Lucas started listening only to Lucas, we got the PT.

There's a difference between having other people restrain your worst intentions, and then just not even having any control over your creative vision. When you get the latter, you get the fucking Amazing Spiderman series. And when you get the former, you get Damen Lindelof's amazing redemption arc. (No joke: Damen himself has said he owes the credit for his recent successes to hiring people to screen his ideas that WOULDN"T be sycophants. Look it up.)

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprised by how low Bombshell seems to be doing
I think I have two reasons

1. The marketing for it was kind of trashy in how it plays up Aisles' actions as some juicy scandal.

2. At the end of the day, Megyn Kelly and Gretchen Carlson are still villains in the grand scheme of things.They spewed hateful bile and republican propaganda that poisoned a nation.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know who the movie is meant to appeal to. Conservatives will immediately refuse to see it, and liberals are uninterested in a sympathetic portrayal of Fox News personalities. They did not deserve to be victims of sexual harassment, but they are still incredibly vile people. The movie is attempting to appeal to that White Feminist sisterhood/girl power/#girlboss solidarity concept and that just doesn't play anymore in a polarized society. These women aren't my "sisters."

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still kinda confused how "fast tracking" Aquaman 2 gave it a release date 3 years after the original. That is the opposite of fast tracking.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
It is playing on less than half the screens Cats has and about a third of what Star Wars has. The PTA for Friday wasn't that bad either. $1236 compared to the $1680 for Jumanji.
It isn't breaking out like some expected, but it isn't bombing either. But there is also a good amount of adult focused movies out now and more about to hit on Christmas that it will probably get lost in the shuffle. Especially because Uncut Gems has some hype behind it.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still kinda confused how "fast tracking" Aquaman 2 gave it a release date 3 years after the original. That is the opposite of fast tracking.
You think creating a CG model of a drum-playing octopus is a quick process

Really though, yeah the script in Aquaman is fucking rancid, but it's the one comic flick in recent times where the budget really matches what's on screen. Even the typical horde mode finale that MCU has relied on way too much is spectacular in Aquaman. They should take all the time they need.

Dec 12, 2017
47-48 probably means 177-180M. So a Civil War sized opening.

Charlie is saying that overseas looks to be under 200 as well. So maybe 375M WW this weekend?

Endgame OW equals 2x TROS OW domestically.

Endgame OW worldwide is going to be over TROS total.

Star Wars vs Avengers has been a bit of a rollercoaster since 2015.
Not really. TFA crushed the ball in 2015 and Avengers has been on a steady uptick since culminating with an earth shattering performance in 2019.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I have bad feeling they are going to drop Rian Johnson in January and go with Ron Howard for the 2022 movie.

Nightmare fuel.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
We will see I guess. I still think that the 2022 movie needs to be a reset button for SW... they need a director with a strong vision for that to work.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you think TLJ was a good movie on it's own I think we can agree after this opening that it didn't set up a good hook for audiences to be excited for episode 9 which is definitely a factor for ROS underperforming, along with the reviews

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Lucasfilm presents:

Tenel Ka

Starring Brie Larson

Written and Directed by Greta Gerwig
Produced by Kevin Feige

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like may be sub-180 for TRoS according to Deadline. (Like 179)
Reading that Deadline article is pretty funny. Lots of downplaying the initial bad press for the movie, saying everything is fine, and each new update bringing the OW estimate lower and lower. Even now they say it's all good because it's going to be really stong after Christmas. And all these excuses about Christmas shopping to explain why the movie is doing less than expected, somehow never came up before.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading that Deadline article is pretty funny. Lots of downplaying the initial bad press for the movie, saying everything is fine, and each new update bringing the OW estimate lower and lower. Even now they say it's all good because it's going to be really stong after Christmas.

Deadline is notoriously favorable to Disney

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Reading that Deadline article is pretty funny. Lots of downplaying the initial bad press for the movie, saying everything is fine, and each new update bringing the OW estimate lower and lower. Even now they say it's all good because it's going to be really stong after Christmas.And all these excuses about Christmas shopping to explain why the movie is doing less than expected, somehow never came up before.
Yea the Deadline article is really bizzare. It sounds both defensive and like they're trying to cover for Disney.

Also that 179 is pretty optimistic as it's assuming only a -15% drop this Sunday. Might be closer to 175.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Even if you think TLJ was a good movie on it's own I think we can agree after this opening that it didn't set up a good hook for audiences to be excited for episode 9 which is definitely a factor for ROS underperforming, along with the reviews

Yup, it's why I predicted under 200OW and under a bill WW.
I thought the marketing for 9 was strong, at points very strong but it just never had that Infinity War type of hook.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, the bad trailers/premise for TRoS didn't hook me.

Me after TLJ " Wow, all the legacy characters are gone and a great actor like Adam Driver can be the unhinged heavy for the next movie. Where will they go next?"

Me after TRoS name reveal/premise/trailer " Oh, so killing Snoke was just a lateral move and this series has to have an old wrinkly dude as the big bad for some reason."

Imo, while the people who didn't like the way TLJ ended contributed to the lower boxoffice this is similar to Solo where general audiences didn't care about JJ's trump card of bringing back Palpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.