• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it wild for me to say that Alita looks really good? That recent trailer got me in a big way.

The last two trailers have been great. Really solid stuff imo.

...what. It opened to $220m.

And dropped almost 70% in its second weekend. The holidays really stabilized it and prevented a more severely kneecapped OWx. StarWars has benefited tremendously from being a Christmas season release property (for the most part) since the Disney era started. It's just a point about how the holidays make things happen.

That said people seriously underestimate the amount of competition that TFA had in comparison to TLJ.

Last edited:

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Mortal Engines is one of the most fascinating miscalculations since John Carter. Since the very first teaser it was exceedingly clear that no one was going to give even a remote shit about it. Did they think "From the makers of the Lord of the Rings" still carried any weight?

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Mortal Engines is one of the most fascinating miscalculations since John Carter. Since the very first teaser it was exceedingly clear that no one was going to give even a remote shit about it. Did they think "From the makers of the Lord of the Rings" still carried any weight?

Agreed, when they first announced this I had no idea who this film was being aimed at. They were obviously betting that Peter Jackson's name could kick start this property and that hasn't worked out at all. If I were a betting man I'd say that Mr Jackson's next film (one he directs) will be a more established property.

In saying that I ended up really enjoying the film. As a one off it worked for me.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

Mortal Engines is currently doing worse than the latest Dragon Tattoo film domestically. Holidays will help it pull ahead, but even with holiday legs, 20M domestic total will be iffy. This weekend will be around 2M. Down ~75%

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I just want spider-verse to do well enough to warrant a sequel. I thought it was such a great movie. The animation and art were amazing and really popped off the screen.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Saturday projections are floating around. Mary Poppins will take second place this weekend with maybe $1M or so over Bumblebee.

My best guess would be around 23M for Poppins and 22M for bumblebee over 3 days.

Spider-verse is looking like 17-18M right now. So expected range from Friday.

Aquaman is trending towards 68m not counting the 4.9M in Amazon sneaks.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Mortal Engines is currently doing worse than the latest Dragon Tattoo film domestically. Holidays will help it pull ahead, but even with holiday legs, 20M domestic total will be iffy. This weekend will be around 2M. Down ~75%

And that's a shame, I thought as probably most everyone did that this was another YA romance with sci-fi elements that doesn't resolve anything in the first movie.

What I got instead was a kick-ass sci-fi thrillride with gorgeous effects, interesting future world, and Hugo Weaving at his most bastardly.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I actually loved the first teaser. I'm like woah that car got ate by the bigger car that was London. I also didn't know anything about the source material. Everything else after that was horrible though.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My brother's linked me the trailer for Welcome to Marwen when it first came out; and I couldn't stop laughing at how bad it looked and how dumb the premise was. Glad to see that the moviegoing audience agreed.

If it's bad enough, might be worth watching once it goes to digital/redbox.

I couldn't tell what it was about from the trailer. It showed various characters and then a toy figure version of them, right? No context on anything really. It might be one of the least descriptive trailers ever.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Spiderverse was great. I just came back from a packed house and everybody seemed to love it. The kid behind me said "this has to be the best Spider-Man movie ever!"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Saturday projections are floating around. Mary Poppins will take second place this weekend with maybe $1M or so over Bumblebee.

My best guess would be around 23M for Poppins and 22M for bumblebee over 3 days.

Where would that put Aquaman? Low end of tracking?

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Can Aquaman US grosses be less than Aquaman China grosses?

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Sony fucked up the marketing on spiderman. People see it as a niche TV thing. Hopefully it'll get some legs.
Movie is a hard sell. After watching it, I think it appeals more towards older geeks(here) than anything else. It's not really a kids movie, it takes a lot from the comics, and its animated. Its in that weird spot of DC animated flicks are. Its doing good all things considered

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Where the hell is my Big Hero 6-2?

No, a tv show doesnt count...
In Kingdom Hearts 3.

sQL9WHW.jpg

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Where would that put Aquaman? Low end of tracking?

Deadline had 65-70M a few days ago. So in the middle I guess. Add in another nearly 5M for the sneaks last week.

Can Aquaman US grosses be less than Aquaman China grosses?

It definitely can if it is frontloaded for December. I think that China will pass 260M, which would require a 3.8x multiplier to match domestically. However, non-superhero films would typically do 5-6x this weekend launching in this time slot. So will will have to wait and see.

Oct 25, 2017
Alita at least looks like it has...something to it unlike Ghost in the Shell (2017) which was just a shoddy remake/reimagining of the original film.

Alita might be bad but it at least seems interesting.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alita at least looks like it has...something to it unlike Ghost in the Shell (2017) which was just a shoddy remake/reimagining of the original film.

Alita might be bad but it at least seems interesting.

Literally everyone I spoke to who saw the trailer said those anime eyes creeped them the fuck out. Expect every critical review to mention it at some point.

The Mad Mango

Oct 27, 2017
Movie is a hard sell. After watching it, I think it appeals more towards older geeks(here) than anything else. It's not really a kids movie, it takes a lot from the comics, and its animated. Its in that weird spot of DC animated flicks are. Its doing good all things considered

I disagree so much. It's an excellent kids movie (arguably more suited for kids than the live-action fare), you don't need any knowledge of the comics, and the animation is completely unique and incredible, unlike the generic animation of DC's flicks.

If anything, the hard sell is that it's a Spiderman movie. He was in another movie this year, last year, and the year before that, and in a video game this year. On its face, another Spiderman movie is the least exciting thing in the world.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree so much. It's an excellent kids movie (arguably more suited for kids than the live-action fare), you don't need any knowledge of the comics, and the animation is completely unique and incredible, unlike the generic animation of DC's flicks.

If anything, the hard sell is that it's a Spiderman movie. He was in another movie this year, last year, and the year before that, and in a video game this year. On its face, another Spiderman movie is the least exciting thing in the world.
It's not hard to look better than a straight-to-DVD DC animated movie. The Spider-Verse trailers from the first teaser looked like a high quality animated movie made for theaters.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want spider-verse to do well enough to warrant a sequel. I thought it was such a great movie. The animation and art were amazing and really popped off the screen.

It's doing well enough to get a sequel. Holding this well over the weekend is a good sign for the full holiday fun. It's also over performing in China versus your typical animated feature.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Spiderverse is definitely gonna live in that Mask of the Phantasm space where it's arugably the best Spider-Man movie but being animated, it doesn't have the same stature, I guess.

Already saw it twice and it's right up there with Spider-Man 2.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's doing well enough to get a sequel. Holding this well over the weekend is a good sign for the full holiday fun. It's also over performing in China versus your typical animated feature.

According to Box Office Mojo the production budget was $90m. Worldwide pull is only $73m. Unless it holds really steady for a long time, I don't know if it's even going to earn back its production + advertising. A shame too.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I probably won't go back to the theaters until Endgame

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Spiderverse is definitely gonna live in that Mask of the Phantasm space where it's arugably the best Spider-Man movie but being animated, it doesn't have the same stature, I guess.

Already saw it twice and it's right up there with Spider-Man 2.
Difference is they were making Spider-Verse for the theaters first and not doing a quick port like with Mask of the Phantasm.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See, kswiston, this is why comparing it against more than just Ferdinand is important!

According to Box Office Mojo the production budget was $90m. Worldwide pull is only $73m. Unless it holds really steady for a long time, I don't know if it's even going to earn back its production + advertising. A shame too.

My dude, have faith!

Spider-verse has a bit of a staggered release window and have barely been out a week stateside. That BOM number only includes the OS opening from a few markets.

Domestically the Christmas season equals legs and generally smaller openings as presales get more spread out.

Just going to copy/paste an old post keeping in mind that Spider-verse is going to open well above the 15m it was originally projected at in China. It's in the comparison but not a part of the BOM figure

———————-
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' Delivers Largest December Animated Opening at $35.4 Million

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4467&p=.htm

People expecting LEGO Batman numbers OS were crazy. Previews and presales did not match that, and it's opening more like LEGO 1 with a better spread per market so far than LEGO Batman

Opening weekend

South Korea
Spider-verse: 3.3m
LEGO Movie 0.7m / 1.4m
LEGO Batman 0.5m / 1m

United Kingdom
LEGO Movie 13.5m / 56.9m
LEGO Batman 9.9m / 34.6m
Spider-verse 2.9m /

China
Spider-verse (projected) 26m /
LEGO Batman 3.5m / 6.1m
LEGO Movie <did not release>

Russia
LEGO Movie 2.7m / 6.1m
Spider-verse 2.3m /
LEGO Batman 2.1m / 4.8m

Australia
LEGO Movie 5.3m / 27.8m
Spider-verse 2.3m /
LEGO Batman no data / 8.8m

Keeping in mind that UK, Australia etc were the markets that carried LEGO HARD (56m of 211m, 27% of the OS gross) and China will have a stronger opening than than LEGO 1 did in the UK the king market of carrying LEGO.

So far it looks like Spider-verse will soak the deficits it accrues from the European markets that disproportionately carried LEGO with far better per country returns in Asia, + the added edge that LEGO 1 didn't release in China.

So roughly LEGO Movie returns OS (+200m OS absolute floor) is likely unless it legs or soaks hard here or there. If it pulls a CoCo in China it could somehow manage to hit 600m or take out Antman 2 :p

The only concern is if it doesn't broaden its demos and is stuck in direct competition to Aquaman and Mary Poppins from the other end making it Stillborn with the family crowd
——————

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018

I mean people come to the box office are like "yeah I want a ticket to that Peter Jackson film" and I'm like "They Shall Not Grow Old"? And they're all "No, Mortal Engines"

Status
Not open for further replies.