• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Mary Poppins is a baby boomer character from another time that does not sit well with the modern anti stablishment general feeling

Exactly. Theres no one under the age of 65 that saw the original in theatres.

Millennials (who are most likely to have kids to take to family movies like that one) wouldnt have seen that film until damned near 30 years after release. The thing would have been a relic only aired when little else was available to kill time, not an event picture.

Its a bizarre thing to try and make a sequel to, let alone a remake. And was anyone really asking to continue that story? Yeah, novels exist but literally no one stateside has read those and they bear little resemblance to the Disney film which is fairly self contained.

Edit: it just occurred to me that Disney was also responsible for the completely bewildering "return to oz" produced as a sequel 45 years after the fact that was ALSO a disaster. Apparently no one learned this lesson the first time.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Return to Oz is darn near nightmare fuel at points.

A drop below 60% is pretty good, maybe not 'holiday season good', but also considering the absolute onslaught of new releases? Pretty good imo. Boxofficepro was considering 19m for it this weekend but remained confident that the film would recover due to WM.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Aquaman and wow it was pretty damn good. I gotta hand it to DC they did a great job with the suit, Ocean Master is on point.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
On a whim I checked on the status of Space Jam 2. I guess as of a few months ago Justin Lin is out as director and Terence Nance may be taking over, but even weirder, Ryan Coogler has recently been announced to be producing it.

It seems to be in a pretty serious development hell, so I wonder if it will ever come out.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
XerUsRt.jpg

Maybe 25M for Spider-verse's Chinese opening.

Aquaman really bounced back on Saturday after that local movie, Airpocalpyse flopped. Looks like 22M or so for its third weekend. I don't know if beating Venom is a viable goal, but it will pass the $250M mark, making it at least third of all time for superhero stuff.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XerUsRt.jpg

Maybe 25M for Spider-verse's Chinese opening.

Aquaman really bounced back on Saturday after that local movie, Airpocalpyse flopped. Looks like 22M or so for its third weekend. I don't know if beating Venom is a viable goal, but it will pass the $250M mark, making it at least third of all time for superhero stuff.

That Aquaman PTA will have it gaining back showings.

Spider-verse had a strong Sat bump, with WOM should be a smidge higher than 25 imo. 180m yuan give or take is what it's looking like to me, that would be bang on 26m

Aquaman can still beat Venom in USD, but will probably lose in Yuan. Of Aquaman gets an extension it should beat Venom.

Thèse are décent numbers for Bumblebee!

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if prequel-esque Star Wars would have fared better in China than what the current stuff is doing

Aquamans underwater battles and Atlantis in the trailers remind me of that style of bombastic CGI and it looks like that audience loves that stuff

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone want to change their mind on how much Disney will make next year at the B.O.? The Disney name for live-action don't mean shit outside of Marvel, and maybe Star Wars.
Lion King will do more than $500M, but that's also not live-action. Dumbo is around $300M range while Aladdin is a wildcard.

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we really call Bumblebee a bomb or underperformed when it's coming in at expectations and we haven't even seen the Christmas season fully kick in yet.

And MPR isn't DOA or anything

Last edited:

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Why would they release all these movies on the same weekend anyhow? MP should have released last weekend, or next week. maybe an early opening on Christmas. Same with Bumblebee, shoulda released later or earlier.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Why would they release all these movies on the same weekend anyhow? MP should have released last weekend, or next week. maybe an early opening on Christmas. Same with Bumblebee, shoulda released later or earlier.
Well Mary Poppins was originally scheduled for Christmas day but was moved up

And everyone assumed the other films would flee

Ultimately the winner was Alita!

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
so is bumblebee going to underperform because of the baggage of bayformers

or because it isn't enough of a bayformer

:(

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
so is bumblebee going to underperform because of the baggage of bayformers

or because it isn't enough of a bayformer

:(
I think its going to underperform because its releasing the same weekend as Aquaman, and a week after Spiderman. Seems like the same audience would see all three of those movies. I feel it needed more space tbh.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Sony fucked up the marketing on spiderman. People see it as a niche TV thing. Hopefully it'll get some legs.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to go to an impromptu second showing of Spider-Verse this afternoon and it was sold out, even shows that didn't start for a couple hours.

I'm glad it's doing so well, bummed I didn't get to see it again (yet)

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I took my nephew to see Into the Spider-Verse.
I get why it might not be a huge draw for kids. He's 6 and I had to keep explaining the multi-verse theory.

He liked it but is very amped to see Aquaman tomorrow.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Travis Knight really needs to get a super high grossing film under his belt considering all the amazing films he's done.

But then again he's like the son of the guy that owns Nike so maybe he just isn't in it for the money and instead in it for the art and we'll just continue to push out amazing films that general audiences don't flock to at all.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
GooglePlay audience reviews are interesting to me since they pop up when ever I search movies for showtimes.

Spiderverse: 97%
Bumblebee: 95%
Aquaman: 95%
Venom
: 95%
Mary Poppins: 87%

I have no idea how meaningful this review score is but I am curious why there's an 8-10% difference between other big releases and Poppins. Was it not well-received by the people actually seeing it?

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Ah yes, the ol' Xmas legs. That time of year when people being up the miraculous Christmas movie going window as time for the impossible to happen. Are Bumblebee and Mary Poppins Returns dead and buried? No. Is it too early to call either a disappointment? No.

When Poppins couldn't even open at it's tracking you know that there is a severe disconnect between the film and the audience that it's trying to reach. Just six months ago people were talking about the bloodbath that Aquaman versus MPR would be and now that we're here Poppins is, what, struggling to match half it's original projected opening number? Yes, Greatest Showman opened to smaller numbers and had amazing legs but that was an original project that built up an audience. Who doesn't know who Mary Poppins is? The Simpsons did an episode on her twenty fucking years ago!

Poppins will be a slow burn and surely end up well over $100m at the US box office but this is looking like another Disney branded under performer for 2018 sitting alongside Christopher Robin (less than $200m worldwide) and Nutcracker. Obviously their incredible box office numbers elsewhere don't make this a financial issue but it has to raising eyebrows somewhere.

Elsewhere there's no way that Hasbro (with their alleged financial woes) spent $100m+ to make a film that (potentially) ultimately loses money but does well on Rotten Tomatoes. This is showbiz, show business and they are in it to reignite the Transformers brand which was so badly dented by the whimper that was Last Knight. Will it be profitable once everything is said and done? Possibly. Will it reignite the brand? Unlikely. Transformers doesn't need a well made and well reviewed family film that does middling business to make it a 'AAA' film brand again. Let's not forget that Paramount and Hasbro through AllSpark are developing a Hasbro cineverse and they need to make this work.

Travis Knight really needs to get a super high grossing film under his belt considering all the amazing films he's done.

But then again he's like the son of the guy that owns Nike so maybe he just isn't in it for the money and instead in it for the art and we'll just continue to push out amazing films that general audiences don't flock to at all.

You might very well be the first person to ever describe a Transformers film as 'art'.

Status
Not open for further replies.