• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2017
Worst film of the year starts with The Meg or WOT. Passed out in both. Only reason I'm not throwing Mile 22 up there is the ending was fucking bonkers and it had CL's fineness in it.

Positive side, we got some truly amazing fucking trainwrecks like Show Dogs, Acrimony, Gotti, Father Figures. I'm so happy I got to see Show Dogs before they removed it.

Double Toasted had a fucking GAWD TIER review of Acrimony.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, I'm taking a bunch of Ls on box office number predictions despite the quality being there for some films.

Except for Incredibles. That I'm taking the win on. Because everyone said otherwise.

Dec 12, 2017
It's why I went to it and Show Dogs. Listen to the Show Dogs one if you haven't. It's like the best Goodwin has ever been on the show, "Please Coleman, let me spoil the fuck out of this".

I saw that one too. You ain't lying when say it's the best Goodwin has been. The show declined when Girts left but improved when Goodwin left. It was neutral when Danielle left.

Oz continues to be the low key MVP.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Some of you are doing what happens every year with Late December releases and declare bombs before the holiday craziness even begins. Mary Poppins almost certainly is not getting the lofty 300M+ that some predicted, but nutcracker talk is silly. You don't even have to invoke magic Greatest Showman legs to get around $150M domestic from the Wed/Thurs start at this point in the year.

Passengers had a 22M 5-day start and made 100M. Sing had a 55M 5-day and finished at $270M. Even shitty Assassins Creed was over 3x its 5-day opening and that had the xmas version of BvS legs.

FB2 at $153m dom. Will it even make it to $160m?
I imagine its going to get hit the hardest this weekend. Free up screens for Aquaman and Bee.

And Wreck it Ralph looks to be done as a franchise.

Check out this week's venue drops

BovPxO0.jpg

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How in the blue hell is mortal engines keeping its theaters level this weekend!

Also, Vox Lux sure didn't go anywhere

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Spider-Man still showing on more than 3,000 screens is good news. So many mediocre comic movies made hundreds of millions, and we have a genuine love letter to the medium and it's pulling in the same kinds of numbers popular romantic comedies or goofy teen grossouts pull. Criminal man. Miles is the best comic character to get translated to film since Peter Parker in Raimi's Spider-Man. I hope it stays strong for the next two weekends to encourage Sony and Marvel to make more of them.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never got it either. There's a big difference between a live action adaptation of something that is thoroughly fantastical such as Jungle Book/Beauty and the Beast/Lion King and... Mary Popins... a very small scale, subdued, and frankly antiquated property that was only really relevant to the parents of the parents of the kids who saw Lion King or Alladin in theaters.

If there was to be a Poppins sequel/remake, playing it straight comes decades too late, and doing it now without some sort of an actual twist on its approach (going hard Classic Disney) It's an experience that is going to seem inconsequential to a large swath of audience goers.

That said, I don't think that day 2 drops for movies that released mid week are that unheard of. The movie might be a little soft, but it had some pretty good PS going in so I don't think that it will be a bomb, just soft as it won't have much broad appeal past 'old people and wholesome families with young kids wanting to see a pg old times Disney flick over the holidays'. It's goimg to appeal to the same types of people who were wanting to see Saving Mr Banks.

I sound like I'm being super down on it, but that's just relative to the 'it will crush everything' narrative. It will have its audience and do decently for itself imo. It looks very well made.

They really should've gone with the brother, and sister hooking up angle I thought the trailer was hinting at.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
They really should've gone with the brother, and sister hooking up angle I thought the trailer was hinting at.

See, ya I was totally expecting the brother and sister to rightfully be boning based off of the trailer. I was almost disappointed when they revealed his wife just died and they entered into this weird Full House-esque living arrangement in the next one.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not counting out any Christmas release based on opening 5 days after Greatest Showman and Jumanji last year.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guessing Aquaman gonna end up somewhere between $900-950 million worldwide. Imagine if that happens. Highest grossing superhero after Iron Man, Black Panther, and Batman. Pretty hilarious when you think about it. (Civil War don't count for Captain America; got his ass carried by Iron Man.)

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France

Has a shot 500M after the weekend?

It ended up below Wonder Woman in France, actually.
Looks like we're gonna be one of the very few territories where it's going to underperform but DC films just never do well here.
Edit: actually, its first screening numbers were way lower than Wonder Woman and Justice League but it caught up to them a day later, so word of mouth seems to be good. Maybe it'll top WW in the long run.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Guessing Aquaman gonna end up somewhere between $900-950 million worldwide. Imagine if that happens. Highest grossing superhero after Iron Man, Black Panther, and Batman. Pretty hilarious when you think about it. (Civil War don't count for Captain America; got his ass carried by Iron Man.)

WB slept on DC properties there weren't Batman, Superman, Batman, or Batman for way too long.

I wonder if they regret delaying Flash so Ezra can do Fantastic Beasts 3, and not the other way around.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WB slept on DC properties there weren't Batman, Superman, Batman, or Batman for way too long.

I wonder if they regret delaying Flash so Ezra can do Fantastic Beasts 3, and not the other way around.
Aquaman's the one I've mainly been interested in due to wanting to see Atlantis in live action. It's the special effects and stuff and how you could portray the water world. It has a lot of potential in live action and something that's different from the other superhero properties which mostly blend into the same old shit really.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017

They can't depend on one big franchise. They're gonna lick they're wounds and make some adjustments like they did with DC

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly bet on most DC movies doing as well as Aquaman, as long as they're good movies/crowd pleasers.

Birds of Prey is the one I see being a huge hit.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Saw spiderverse lastnight, whew! What a great movie. All I could think off after is I hadn't left a movie that satisfied in a long time, felt like I needed a cigarette after lol

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Wow Mary Floppins is underperforming, might go below Bumblebee, didn't see this coming.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I know we're focused on the big pictures, but feel like need to highlight how no one is welcomed in Marwan

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My brother's linked me the trailer for Welcome to Marwen when it first came out; and I couldn't stop laughing at how bad it looked and how dumb the premise was. Glad to see that the moviegoing audience agreed.

If it's bad enough, might be worth watching once it goes to digital/redbox.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I know Aquaman is doing great and that's cool, but this December is telling me one thing so far: December is Star Wars season, and Star Wars is a juggernaut (domestically).

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone want to change their mind on how much Disney will make next year at the B.O.? The Disney name for live-action don't mean shit outside of Marvel, and maybe Star Wars.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Does anyone want to change their mind on how much Disney will make next year at the B.O.? The Disney name for live-action don't mean shit outside of Marvel, and maybe Star Wars.

Thats not necessarily true. Someone at Disney picked a bewildering selection of properties to turn into live action. Its amazing AWIT and Poppins performed as well as they did, and Solo was a bad idea handicapped by disaatrous production

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Mary Poppins is a baby boomer character from another time that does not sit well with the modern anti stablishment general feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.