• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shame this isn't getting the reception it deserves, Bumblebee is a good time and is easily the best Transformers has gotten on the big screen since the animated film. If only this was the movie that came out in 2007 instead of Bay's trash, things would be different.
Hopefully Bumblebee doesn't get completely drowned out by Aquaman in the coming weeks, it deserves better than what it's getting.
The problem is Bay's Transformer films have saturated the market in the past decade ultimately rendering these Big Robots fightng easch other not that special from a filmgoing experience. You just had a Transformer's film last year.

The studio should've waited at least 5 years before making a more personal and faithful adaptation that's actually good.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since the article doesn't really say and I'm not nearly as skilled as y'all at this stuff: if these are at least somewhat accurate, where does that put them for the 3-day?

Hmmmm... x7-14 depending? I can't see it hitting the upper upper end because of Aquaman, Poppins, Spider-verse...

Batman V Superman might be the best example of which ways the wind can blow despite strong previews, that film posted monstrous numbers but collapsed over the opening weekend, to say nothing of its total run.

Wonder Woman 11m previews 103.3m OW x9.4
Batman v Superman 27.7m / 170m x6.1
Justice League 13m / 93.8m x7.2
Man of Steel 9m / 116.6m
Suicide Squad 20m /133m x6.65
Thor 3 14.5m / 122.7m x8.46
Deadpool 12.7m / 132.4m x12.42
GoG 11.2m / 94.3m x8.42

WB will possibly throw the $3M from those Amazon sneaks last week into the Friday number.

Good point. I wonder if any of the above numbers have bundling

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Man of Steel did $9M in actual midnight previews. The $12M for Thursday were Walmart early showings. Walmart prepurchased the entire block and tried to sell tickets in store. We have no idea how many of those tickets actually sold, but given the fact that they never did it again with other films, it is presumed to have not gone well for them.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take what you can get with SPA
SPA has actually been having a good year

jIky5wp.jpg

Peter Rabbit was budgeted at $50M. HT3 was $80M.

In general as well

Sony Pictures Releasing International (SPRI) crossed the $1 billion mark in overseas box office receipts in record time for the company.

The previous record for the studio was Sept. 8, 2002, the year the studio grossed its record high overseas take of $1.305 billion. It marks the sixth time overall and the fifth time in the past seven years that SPRI has amassed more than $1 billion in ticket sales from international territories.
Man of Steel did $9M in actual midnight previews. The $12M for Thursday were Walmart early showings. Walmart prepurchased the entire block and tried to sell tickets in store. We have no idea how many of those tickets actually sold, but given the fact that they never did it again with other films, it is presumed to have not gone well for them.

Thanks for the corrections, MOS was sticking out

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If verse does hit a 30m openening in China it should beat Legos UK total of 56m. The only reason that I'm harping on that number from the UK is that it was roughly 27% of the LEGO movies INT total.

Having China contribute that (with Asia as a whole for verse looking to be stronger than LEGO was) when LEGO hit 211m INT without a China release will a long way to helping Spider-verse hit a high number overall. A stronger performance is also kind of needed when it doesn't look like Spider-verse will come close to matching LEGO in its strongest regions.

A few weeks ago the general consensus was that 400m total was expected and 500m would be thrilling, so, eye on the prize. I still think that something around or approaching 1.25 SOLOs is the most likely end point.

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should've just waited a couple of years and done a full hard reboot for Transformers. Call if Transformers 1984 and throw all the Bay designs in the garbage and basically just use the OG designs.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
I think Aquaman is going to make all the money. It's a real crowd-pleaser, it ends in a positive note and it has that star wars vibe as well for good measure. Pretty entertaining.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
They should've just waited a couple of years and done a full hard reboot for Transformers. Call if Transformers 1984 and throw all the Bay designs in the garbage and basically just use the OG designs.

That is kinda what Bee is, but yea they should have waited a couple years. Course the problem here was that Bee was already starting to film before TLK even released I believe.

Bee would have been a great reboot point after a few years, the general populace is confused and think it's just another Transformers movie they are sick of seeing over and over again, and the mixed signals from producers saying stuff like "it's not a reboot", when the movie clearly is and erases much of the stuff in the other movies.

I don't think BumbleBee gets a sequel at the mid to lower end of your worldwide estimate.

Hasbro started their film group and want their hasbroverse to happen hard. If it makes some profit, they probably will push through with more eventually. Don't think they have another TF movie on their slate planned for a couple years right now even yet so if anything they give it some space to cool off. GI Joe: Snake Eyes entered production and their other yet not named projects, they are gonna try I imagine to keep these things going and tie them together eventually.

Hasbro also is all about selling toys, and their new investment in film is to push these movies and sell merch. Not only toys, but Hasbro has now stated they are an IP company, so licensing and making money from alternative means is a big factor for them as toy sales have declined in past years. From TF sites, Hasbro is going all out on the merch bonanza, especially overseas. In China they are going in hard on TF toys too

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That is kinda what Bee is, but yea they should have waited a couple years. Course the problem here was that Bee was already starting to film before TLK even released I believe.

Bee would have been a great reboot point after a few years, the general populace is confused and think it's just another Transformers movie they are sick of seeing over and over again, and the mixed signals from producers saying stuff like "it's not a reboot", when the movie clearly is and erases much of the stuff in the other movies.

Hasbro started their film group and want their hasbroverse to happen hard. If it makes some profit, they probably will push through with more eventually. Don't think they have another TF movie on their slate planned for a couple years right now even yet so if anything they give it some space to cool off. GI Joe: Snake Eyes entered production and their other yet not named projects, they are gonna try I imagine to keep these things going and tie them together eventually.

Hasbro also is all about selling toys, and their new investment in film is to push these movies and sell merch. Not only toys, but Hasbro has now stated they are an IP company, so licensing and making money from alternative means is a big factor for them as toy sales have declined in past years. From TF sites, Hasbro is going all out on the merch bonanza, especially overseas. In China they are going in hard on TF toys too

As long as these movies generate merch sales. They'll be fine.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Seems Aquaman split the difference and came in at 9 million

I don't know what to look for when it comes to Mary Poppins, but this seems like a very... light Thursday number

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
As long as these movies generate merch sales. They'll be fine.

From all indication, Bumblebee toys seem to be doing well.

Seems Aquaman split the difference and came in at 9 million

I don't know what to look for when it comes to Mary Poppins, but this seems like a very... light Thursday number

That's a damn good showing for Aquaman. I have absolutely no idea how to interpret MPR's numbers so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, just learned that Mortal Engines is a movie that exists, doing a quick Google search the plot is apparently about how after some apocalyptic event London has become an steam punk moster and some lady is going to kill/stop London. Can't imagine why a movie like that would flop

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I remember a time long ago when we all thought Mary Poppins would be a huge threat to Aquaman

How the turn tables

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what happened with Poppins, which felt like it was going to be massive. Maybe the recent marketing turned people off?

Yikes. If this had a bigger budget we could have a dark horse bomb of the year.

Or the audience just doesn't care. I haven't seen ANYONE talk about Poppins. Not even my mom who remembers the original. She's more excited to see Aquaman if anything.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Aquaman is good but a little too long which might hurt repeat viewings.

I feel like I'm missing a running joke with Aquaman's runtime... I guess it may feel long to some

But it's 5 mins longer than Black Panther.
10 minutes shorter than Infinity War

Not saying it's going to do those numbers, but that didn't hurt repeat business.
Or the audience just doesn't care. I haven't seen ANYONE talk about Poppins. Not even my mom who remembers the original. She's more excited to see Aquaman if anything.

Yeah it's looking like we all may have crowned it king of the box-office off it being a Disney film during the holiday season and having a brand attached to it.

Like the trailers never did anything for me, but I assumed it was because never seen the original so was missing what made it magic and special... but it seems like it just kind of exists.

Also from what I hear, it doesn't have that one big earworm of a song.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I feel like I'm missing a running joke with Aquaman's runtime... I guess it may feel long to some

Not saying it's going to do those numbers, but that didn't hurt repeat business.
I would say while I liked it I was very aware of its runtime by the end whereas I wasn't with Infinity War.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
For all we know Poppins may turn into another Solo situation but without the BTS drama. General sense of "Why?" before the movie opens, and WOM is positive but not good enough to put butts in seats.

Yikes. If this had a bigger budget we could have a dark horse bomb of the year.

Still possible. Pro's $4M weekend estimate seems like a miracle. I listened to DT's review earlier and they said it was one of the most offensive movies they've seen in a long time.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would say while I liked it I was very aware of its runtime by the end whereas I wasn't with Infinity War.

Oh whoops
That was a draft wrote earlier that didn't intend to post (because realized actually like 9 mins longer and 5 mins shorter) and I get that for some.

Just odd read lots of reviews mentioning the runtime, but like there's been longer movies this year. I guess never felt it. Or think 2 hour 20 is fine for most cape movies.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Personally I think both BP and IW were too long, although they obviously did massive sales. With high ticket costs it seems like studios think audiences want these long epics but some movies like Jumanji and Jurassic World work better with tighter stories.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
If Poppins doesn't suddenly blow up this weekend, it sounds like it might not out-perform Bee all that much. I was sure Poppins and Aquaman would be near eachother with Bee trailing a distant third, but it seems Poppins may be trailing back there with it.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
If Poppins doesn't suddenly blow up this weekend, it sounds like it might not out-perform Bee all that much. I was sure Poppins and Aquaman would be near eachother with Bee trailing a distant third, but it seems Poppins may be trailing back there with it.

You won't be able to tell until next week really.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Float like a Poppins, Sting like a Bumblebee.

Except if you're Aquaman, in which you just flood the box office.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Spiderverse on Wednesday it was damn amazing though I was the only one in the theater.....though to be fair it was an 11:45AM showing in a slightly more fancy alamo type theater.

Oct 28, 2017
The problem is Bay's Transformer films have saturated the market in the past decade ultimately rendering these Big Robots fightng easch other not that special from a filmgoing experience. You just had a Transformer's film last year.

The studio should've waited at least 5 years before making a more personal and faithful adaptation that's actually good.
That's what I meant from wanting this movie to have been released years earlier, the over saturation of Bayformers has kind of poisoned the well before Bumblebee could find an audience.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know why I thought Poppins could compete with Aquaman Spidey and Bumblebee.

It's a proven fact that none sw/mcu Disney live action films are duds...

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Poppins ain't bombing, but it isn't going to be the breakout success people been talking about. The movie's audience is parents wanting to bring their kids and Disney fanatics. Aquaman on the other hand has the more universal appeal. It was always going to eat its lunch. But it's still going to do solid throughout Christmas since it is Disney and the only pure kids flick. But honestly, no one was asking for Poppins.

BumbleBee is paying for the sins of the last 2 Transformer films. if it came after Dark Side, it would have been fine. But AoE and LK both completely killed interest in the states for it.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Poppins ain't bombing, but it isn't going to be the breakout success people been talking about. The movie's audience is parents wanting to bring their kids and Disney fanatics. Aquaman on the other hand has the more universal appeal. It was always going to eat its lunch. But it's still going to do solid throughout Christmas since it is Disney and the only pure kids flick. But honestly, no one was asking for Poppins.

BumbleBee is paying for the sins of the last 2 Transformer films. if it came after Dark Side, it would have been fine. But AoE and LK both completely killed interest in the states for it.

Jungle Book nearly made a billion. I think it was pretty reasonable to assume that Mary Poppins would do even better over Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.