• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I am real hype for Bumblebee.

Wow, the first good live action Transformers movie.

Helps that it was directed by the guy who directed the masterful Kubo and the Two Strings

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of these comparisons really matter other than Ferdinand, because films are already starting to get holiday bumps as schools let out. The Grinch's 6th Wednesday as better than its third through fifth for instance. So comparing Spider-verse weekday grosses to Nov/Feb periods when schools were in session is of course going to look favorable.

I am mainly curious to see what happens with Spider-verse when Aquaman and Bumblebee launch, since both of those will have more overlap with spider-verse's mostly male audience.

I was going to do a comparative example of how much Grinch bumped on the same day plus showing other genre movies similar bumps same days(along with the more important metric for indicating some sort of WOM effect, imo, what % those [calendar aligned] days takes translated against each films total run) but did not bother expanding it due to being on my phone. Keep in mind that these comparatives started OW where conditions were more uniform. Divergences in conditions (based on release date) are inevitable going from there. Still, that why I included Ferdinand and have mentioned it specifically a few times.

LEGO Movie and LEGO Batman are still valuable since we ultimately don't much care what movie came out when in judging its finishing BO. Having better bumps due to the season is just an observation along the same tract that had people saying '35m is a good start for a Christmas season animated release' it doesn't mean that observing the degree of its performance against another movie is invalid, it's just a more detailed metric to observe why releasing in Christmas can help legs. Looking favourable is great but what's actually being looked at are how those percentages translate to its BO run. That's also why it was arranged by dollar gross instead of %.

MP missing that mark could indicate that Spider-verse is diversifying it's demo though. Some sites seem to believe that SV will initially be hit hard this weekend but recover steam due to its exceptional word of mouth.

Edit: Gavin believes that a +30m China opening for Spider-verse is going to happen

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Presales for Poppins were pretty close to Aquaman leading into this week, and clearly that wasn't for opening day. So it will probably get some good bumps going into Christmas.

I'm thinking that Aquaman wins the month though. Seems to be good enough for a big year end blockbuster, and the buzz isn't there for Bumblebee.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Bumblebee is going to live or die by its legs. Hopefully it will be able to hold reasonably into January and make some money there. If not...

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I feel like Bumblebee is going to do just that. Still with a meager take overall though.

Yeah, I'm still not expecting much. I also have no idea what to expect internationally.
I feel like Bee's best chance is in ancillary markets. If they can get a strong showing on streaming, I expect some audience good will might be regained and could give a potential follow-up better buzz (especially if they move it back to summer, where Transformers movies seem to do much better).

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Oh shit it is a sequel hell yeah.

Oh Manmademan you shit on Bedknobs and Broomsticks and I will catch you in the streets

I was THIS CLOSE to doing it too. But apparently it wasn't released that year and I was too lazy to look it up.

I have a feeling the same thing will happen to Dunno next year (but not Lion King of course).

I was actually thinking something along the same lines. Dumbo is a slightly harder call though, because it's animated- WELL animated. Watching that in the 1980s was just as impressive as watching it in the 40s or 50s or whatever because it is VERY expensive to make high quality animation like that.

Still, Dumbo IS a fairly old movie as disney movies go, and never quite got the traction of something like a snow white, sleeping beauty, etc.

Finally- Pinnochio is another one that's around the same age, and for some reason live action versions of that have failed to catch on several times.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm still not expecting much. I also have no idea what to expect internationally.
I feel like Bee's best chance is in ancillary markets. If they can get a strong showing on streaming, I expect some audience good will might be regained and could give a potential follow-up better buzz (especially if they move it back to summer, where Transformers movies seem to do much better).

FWIW it's doing strong presales in China. Not like Venom levels but good.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like Bumblebee is going to do just that. Still with a meager take overall though.

Bee has a more modest budget compared to the Bay films correct?

Bee is really good, sadly think TLK really hurt the franchise and now the crowded Holiday season. The geek crowds have had nothing but negativity with Transformers in past years, and now they got two big comic book movies out at the same time. We got a good Transformers movie finally but it's going to get overlooked

When is its Chinese release? I saw a Tencent logo at the beginning of the movie so that at least bodes well for its marketing in China.

The one advantage Hasbro has, is their investment in the toy lines which are international. Even if they dont get as big a cut overseas, they are still making bank on toys and merch.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Bee has the smalles budget of the Transformers films, which is crazy because it looks better than all of the others.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When is its Chinese release? I saw a Tencent logo at the beginning of the movie so that at least bodes well for its marketing in China.

Bumblebee will buzz into Chinese theatres on January 4th!

Bee has a more modest budget compared to the Bay films correct?

Bee is really good, sadly think TLK really hurt the franchise and now the crowded Holiday season. The geek crowds have had nothing but negativity with Transformers in past years, and now they got two big comic book movies out at the same time. We got a good Transformers movie finally but it's going to get overlooked

The one advantage Hasbro has, is their investment in the toy lines which are international. Even if they dont get as big a cut overseas, they are still making bank on toys and merch.

Bumblebee has basically the same budget as Power Rangers. 102m versus 105m. For reverence Venom was 100m. It won't have a problem turning a profit.

102m is almost half of the average Transformers movie budget.

Transformers: 150m
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen 200m
Transformers: Dark of the Moon 195m
Transformers: Age of Extinction 210m

Dec 12, 2017
The more I think about how much I loved Spiderverse, the more it is hilarious that Lucasfilm thought they knew better.

"Get Ron Howard. Lord and Miller are fucking this thing up!"

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Saw bumblebee. Pretty good movie and my first time watching a transformers movie. Spiderverse is still a much better movie though. Gonna see aqua man probably tomorrow.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Take what you can get with SPA

SPA has actually been having a good year

jIky5wp.jpg

Peter Rabbit was budgeted at $50M. HT3 was $80M.

Oct 28, 2017
Shame this isn't getting the reception it deserves, Bumblebee is a good time and is easily the best Transformers has gotten on the big screen since the animated film. If only this was the movie that came out in 2007 instead of Bay's trash, things would be different.
Hopefully Bumblebee doesn't get completely drowned out by Aquaman in the coming weeks, it deserves better than what it's getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.