• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Damn Aquaman is going to do better than Justice League isn't it?
Perhaps this is indeed DC getting their ship on course finally. Better late than never. With Marvel wrapping up their Phase 3 (and on to Phase 4) and DC correcting their hero movies comic movies are looking better than they ever have imo.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't really deserve a thread so imma put it here; The F&F spinoff about Rock and Statham's characters Hobbs and Shaw has a title finally

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

https://ew.com/movies/2018/12/19/dwayne-johnson-hobbs-and-shaw-first-look/

That is on brand as hell, love it.

(give me a Fast & Furious Presents: Han and Gisele next please)

Nah. Han's twin brother and Gisele (never shown the body!) need to be the villains of the sequel, to get revenge for Han.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Damn Aquaman is going to do better than Justice League isn't it?
Perhaps this is indeed DC getting their ship on course finally. Better late than never. With Marvel wrapping up their Phase 3 (and on to Phase 4) and DC correcting their hero movies comic movies are looking better than they ever have imo.
It was a mistake to do team-up movies before solo flicks.

BvS did well enough, but they should have put Justice League on hold until after Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg. That's why Avengers did so well, they firmly established the main four in the public consciousness.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
So Deadline was being optimistic with midday estimates, and now has Poppins at $4.8M for yesterday.

I'm really surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for Mary Poppins. Aside from Beauty and the Beast, tts probably the best known classic Disney story and they even got LMM to help with the score. Lion King will obviously do huge numbers but people may be getting tired of this series of remakes.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for Mary Poppins. Aside from Beauty and the Beast, tts probably the best known classic Disney story and they even got LMM to help with the score. Lion King will obviously do huge numbers but people may be getting tired of this series of remakes.

IS there a huge amount of interest for Poppins though?

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I still think Poppins will be a slow burn, but yeah it doesn't seem to have that air about it yet with the general audience. Like only one of my co-workers has mentioned it recently, and that was more in the light of... why. But if it is as magical as some are saying word of mouth shall increase.

Though I am curious because it isn't the only show in town for family. Like almost all of the major releases can be viewed by families pretty easily this season.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

I grew up with her, grew up watching my brother watch the movie, and my kid's watching it now. I just.. don't care about this movie. I don't know why they made it. It's an unnecessary sequel.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Mary Poppins is a much older film than Beauty and the Beast so it's not gonna appeal to people the same way as something more modern.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

You shouldn't be. Poppins has the same problem the Speed Racer remake did. Its simply too late to the party.

There is a "nostalgia window" you need to hit where those who saw it when they were young are your primary audience and will take their kids to share the experience.

Beauty and the Beast and Lion King were both early 90s. If you saw those in the theatre when you were 8, you are 32, probably with young kids. Thats the sweet spot.

Mary Poppins on the other hand was 1964. You saw that in the theatre when you were 8, youre now 62. Your kids are grown. You're not going to be running to the theatre for anything- you can wait until it hits on demand in 4 months.

Im 40 this year and don't really have a fondness for live action Disney movies from the 1960s.

These were things like "son of flubber" "polyanna" "parent trap" "absent minded professor" and similar. Cheeseball garbage with low production values. Poppins was the best of these but they weren't exciting anyone in 1985. Back to the Future just came out! Deloreans! Time Travel! Watch THAT instead.

They were "around" on cable but were basically Saturday afternoon filler or something teachers put on to kill time on substitute day, not actual event films to get excited over.

Oct 28, 2017
You guys thought I was nuts when I said I forgot about Mary Poppins and thought it wouldn't do as big numbers as people kept predicting.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Could be that most people thought Poppins would come out Friday and not yesterday. I'm in that boat. We'll see how the weekend goes.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
got tickets to mortal engines this weekend..........hope its entertaining enough. if i could sit through fantastic beasts 2 and be bored. I'm pretty sure mortal engines will at least fair better on a spectacle scale being peter jackson.

I liked venom and that movie was smashed even worse by critics.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Come on Spideyverse. Keep running. Let's show those legs. This is the best Spidey film and it will be extremely shitty that the garbage venom is making more than this.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
There's a new Shaft coming out next year.

shaft-1151036.jpeg

It's been more than four decades since Richard Roundtree was introduced as the smooth-talking detective, with Samuel L. Jackson starring as his nephew John Shaft II in a 2000 sequel. Now the Shafts are back in a new action-comedy, with Survivor's Remorse star Jessie T. Usher playing John II's estranged son, a cybersecurity expert who has to team up with his elders.

"He joins the FBI, which is sort of anti-Shaft family values," Jackson tells EW. "So when he comes to me for help, it's a matter of reshaping him."

EW has an exclusive first look at the new Shaft (out June 14, 2019), uniting Roundtree, Jackson, Usher, and Alexandra Shipp. Ride Along's Tim Story directs, and the new film picks up almost two decades after Jackson joined the franchise in 2000. "He's mellowed a bit," Jackson says of his aging detective. "He's not quite as crazy and cynical. Maybe a bit more devil-may-care the last time we saw him. But still an extremely dangerous and funny character."

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think having 4 huge genre IP flicks come out within a week of each other wasn't a great idea

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come on Spideyverse. Keep running. Let's show those legs. This is the best Spidey film and it will be extremely shitty that the garbage venom is making more than this.

It's currently projected to do around 2.8m yesterday, this would be the best day 7 against any of the movies I've compared it against.

Spider-verse: 2.80m -35% 45.23m
Grinch: 2.66m -46% 85.85m
LEGO Movie: 2.186m -30% 77.6m
LEGO Batman: 1.8m -64% 62.58m
Ferdinand: 1.38m -23% 17.79m

Maybe some of those families that didn't go to Poppins are going to Spider-verse instead. Honestly at that moment in the trailer when her silhouette appeared from the storm, I thought it was a spoof or something. Who actually cares about Mary Poppins in 2018?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
It's currently projected to do around 2.8m yesterday, this would be the best day 7 against any of the movies I've compared it against.

Spider-verse: 2.80m -35% 45.23m
Grinch: 2.66m -46% 85.85m
LEGO Movie: 2.186m -30% 77.6m
LEGO Batman: 1.8m -64% 62.58m
Ferdinand: 1.38m -23% 17.79m

Maybe some of those families that didn't go to Poppins are going to Spider-verse instead. Honestly at that moment in the trailer when her silhouette appeared from the storm, I thought it was a spoof or something. Who actually cares about Mary Poppins in 2018?

None of these comparisons really matter other than Ferdinand, because films are already starting to get holiday bumps as schools let out. The Grinch's 6th Wednesday as better than its third through fifth for instance. So comparing Spider-verse weekday grosses to Nov/Feb periods when schools were in session is of course going to look favorable.

I am mainly curious to see what happens with Spider-verse when Aquaman and Bumblebee launch, since both of those will have more overlap with spider-verse's mostly male audience.

Sep 20, 2018
Spiderverse really should have released in the summer. Especially with how crap this year's summer movie season was. Shit, probably Bumblebee as well. At least Aquaman is actually good, so if it clobbers both at the box office, it won't sting as much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I've been saying all year that Spiderverse should have released in the summer. Especially with how crap this year's summer movie season was.

Other than the 1.8B domestic and 4.6B worldwide made by the 4 superhero films that were already in the summer slate.

I don't think that releasing within a month of Incredibles 2 would have improved things. Spider-verse gets what is basically two weeks of weekend days coming up, so any increase in OW from a summer release will be compensated by crazy Dec holiday weekdays

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't really deserve a thread so imma put it here; The F&F spinoff about Rock and Statham's characters Hobbs and Shaw has a title finally

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

https://ew.com/movies/2018/12/19/dwayne-johnson-hobbs-and-shaw-first-look/

That is on brand as hell, love it.

(give me a Fast & Furious Presents: Han and Gisele next please)
I was about to say "That's a stupid branding", but then I remembered it's the series with the most nonsensical and inconsistent naming conventions in history so more power to em.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is Spider-verse a success if its budget is 90 million and according to Box Office Mojo, its only made about 60 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.