• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad Prisoner of Azkaban will no longer be the lowest grossing Potter/Wizarding World movie. Never deserved that title in the first place.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Remember Divergent? And that TV spin-off that totally was gonna happen when they cancelled the last film, Buzzfeed does and they did an article. Official confirmation at last:
a spokesperson for Starz, which is owned by Lionsgate, tells BuzzFeed News that a continuation of the franchise is no longer in active development. What's more frustrating for its tens of fans, the story ended on a cliffhanger.
I would post a gif from one of the films for snark but Google knows me so well that it just gives me shirtless gifs of the lead dude who I can't tell if he's cute or just tall and white and that doesn't really reflect the mood I was going for.

Last edited:

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
Sure. Critics were fine with it, they are usually fine watching those films.
Venom is much more entertaining because it's terrible action-comedy slapstick with Hardy attempting his worst Cage impression
Can't argue with results. I rather watch 50 movies like Venom than whatever AM&TW was. Regardless of how fresh it is.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All hell will break loose the moment Aquaman's RT Score falls below Thor the Dark World (66%). I don't know if that's going to happen or not. Honestly feels like it could go either way.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
All hell will break loose the moment Aquaman's RT Score falls below Thor the Dark World (66%). I don't know if that's going to happen or not. Honestly feels like it could go either way.

There's this weird thing where y'all are rubbing your hands wanting drama around Aquaman and there's...not. The review thread was so mild it's just MCU dorks stalking random people on Twitter or talking about The Last Jedi. There's only like one DC fanperson doing the conspiracy thing.

Helps that the movie is out many places, with early America screenings, and a bunch of posters already watched it and most seemed to have enjoyed it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Sure. Critics were fine with it, they are usually fine watching those films.

Yes, they generally are fine watching good films rather than bad films.

Fascinating opinion, please indulge us with more of these RT links lol

I was responding to someone who couldn't understand why I think Ant-Man and the Wasp is a better movie than Venom.

Linking him to RottenTomatoes is a perfectly valid response to his faux-shock at the opinion that Ant-Man is better than Venom.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
when arguing your opinion, linking to others opinions is not always the best idea. Would have been better off quoting what some of the Critics said to reinforce your thoughts.

Nov 1, 2017
Venom and AM&TW are both relatively mediocre but there's no question in my mind that Ant-Man and the Wasp is a better-made movie. The action is actually interesting to watch and coherent. All Venom has going for it is Tom Hardy's bonkers performance, which gets it pretty far tbh.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
when arguing your opinion, linking to others opinions is not always the best idea. Would have been better off quoting what some of the Critics said to reinforce your thoughts.

Again, I was responding to this:

Are you seriously going to bat for AM&TW?

Someone pretending to be shocked that a person thinks Ant-Man and the Wasp is a better film than Venom. (Which was brought up randomly, out of nowhere.)

I'm not arguing my opinion of the film. I'm responding to my opinion being called weird when it is clearly not uncommon.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
es, they generally are fine watching good films rather than bad films.
They also prefer to watch films made by the book. Who do you think forms the focus group by which Disney's factory generates these mediocre productions? Critics themselves.

Edit: Also, it's not that you liked Ant man better, is the fact that you feel the need to defend such a clearly mediocre film from being called mediocre that shocked me a bit.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dem audience scores tho. I'd rather watch an uneven but thoroughly entertaining movie with sparks of greatness over a bland, boring, and forgettable film. One that is executed to a higher level of production consistency but otherwise vapid.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They also prefer to watch films made by the book. Who do you think forms the focus group by which Disney's factory generates these mediocre productions? Critics themselves.

I am not saying Ant-Man and the Wasp isn't by-the-book.

But it's incredibly strange to act as if Venom is some groundbreaking film rather than a standard superhero movie just because Tom Hardy acts wacky.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
There's this weird thing where y'all are rubbing your hands wanting drama around Aquaman and there's...not. The review thread was so mild it's just MCU dorks stalking random people on Twitter or talking about The Last Jedi. There's only like one DC fanperson doing the conspiracy thing.

Helps that the movie is out many places, with early America screenings, and a bunch of posters already watched it and most seemed to have enjoyed it.
There is no conspiracy against the DCEU. You misinterpreted what I said. Critics are not immune to fandom, that's all I was implying. They are humans like the rest of us, I have nothing against them for praising Marvel at any opportunity even when it's undeserved.

Anyways hopefully this sudden hit on Aquaman wont have too much of an effect at the BO.

Last edited:

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Spiderman deserves a billion dollars. Such a great movie. My girlfriend said she doesnt like spiderman but loved this movie so much

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My viewing of spiderman had this weird 3d effect in the background. I kept thinking that they were showing the wrong version of the film or i needed 3d glasses

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw Into The Spider-Verse. As part of the negotiations to keep Spider-Man in the MCU, Marvel should license Sony the rights to do animated versions of all Marvel properties, with Lord and Miller at the helm. MACU.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Someone is apparently taking this Venom conversation very seriously.

A random person is now harassing me on Twitter because I said Ant-Man and the Wasp is better than Venom. Haha.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
I am not saying Ant-Man and the Wasp isn't by-the-book.

But it's incredibly strange to act as if Venom is some groundbreaking film rather than a standard superhero movie just because Tom Hardy acts wacky.
If not for the things that make things different everything would be the same. The dynamic between Venom and Hardy elevate the film into an entertaining one.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Also, it's not that you liked Ant man better, is the fact that you feel the need to defend such a clearly mediocre film from being called mediocre that shocked me a bit.

That doesn't make much sense considering many movie critics often laud films that are many times not by the book. If you said this about general audiences it would have made far more sense.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
many movie critics often laud films that are many times not by the book. If you said this about general audiences
Not really. The goal isn't Oscar bait with Marvel films. It's certified fresh and positive meta.
I totally get that. But I also think the different in Venom was bad. lol
Lol, well, I liked it. I guess I'm entertained by what you consider flaws. It was an interesting wrinkle in the CBM formula.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
My viewing of spiderman had this weird 3d effect in the background. I kept thinking that they were showing the wrong version of the film or i needed 3d glasses
It absolutely fucking does. I'm not sure how they did it, but the flick definitely had depth to it. Specifically on the street shots

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Deadline's estimating $7-8M for Poppins today.

The question is does Mary Poppins Returns get the pop from families over the weekend like Jumanji 2 did (5-day $52.7M, 6-day including Christmas was $71.9M)? There's more serious competition in the family arena this year with Sony's holdover Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Paramount opener Bumblebee and Warner Bros.' Aquaman than what Jumanji 2 faced last December (arguably, in terms of the family play, it was just Star Wars: The Last Jedi). Should Mary Poppins Returns emulate a B.O. trajectory like Jumanji 2 or Enchanted, it's looking at a five-day between $49M-$51M. Older females are sure to be a destination for the Emily Blunt — Lin-Manuel Miranda feature, and that demographic is known to pre-buy and plan their visits to the multiplex.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-verse had a strong 1st Tuesday bump. It could be a sign that word of mouth is having an effect, and Tuesday reflect some of the unrealized OW potential.

Now all it needs to do is keep showing Ferdinand+ percentages and it will do around 230m Dom :D

First Tuesday
LEGO Batman 5.0m +84.9%
Spider-verse 4.3m +55.5%
Ferdinand 1.8m +49.5%
LEGO Movie 3.1m -10.4%
Grinch 4.95m -53.6%

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-verse had a strong 1st Tuesday bump. It could be a sign that word of mouth is having an effect, and Tuesday reflect some of the unrealized OW potential.

Now all it needs to do is keep showing Ferdinand+ percentages and it will do around 230m Dom :D

First Tuesday
LEGO Batman 5.0m +84.9%
Spider-verse 4.3m +55.5%
Ferdinand 1.8m +49.5%
LEGO Movie 3.1m -10.4%
Grinch 4.95m -53.6%

I've done my part. I've been telling anyone who'll listen it's easily one of the best films of the year.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every person stanning for Venom better have gone to see Into the Spiderverse.

I did and if I end up seeing Aquaman in theaters I'm buying a ticket for Spider-verse to get through the gates. :p

China weekend estimates:

Spider-verse bumped to almost twice its original opening projection of 15m. Zootopia opened to 24m in China (to be clear, it grossed over 200m there, but it was a very solid start for an animated film in China).

It's not China's Kung Fu Panda 3 opening of 51m usd, but that'll do bear, that'll do. An opening like that makes matching the UK gross for LEGO (56m) much more likely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.