• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Venom prob won't beat GotG2. I ended up fucking up a lot of Venom, which was on me. I'm writting up a bit of a postmortem on it explaining why in comparison to BP (where I did everything manually).

Time issues on my part and trying to essentially live test an in progress beta project (written in C) was a big mistake and my own fault. I should have known better, so sorry about the weird projections for it now and again.

My brain read that as "I ended up f'ing a lot of Venom" and I was so confused

It's been a long week

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Kids are gonna get their Spider-Man PS4 bundles for Christmas and then beg their parents to take them to see Spider-Verse. Hopefully.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Verse dropped 71% on its first Monday

Weekend to 1st Monday
Lego Movie 69.0m / 3.49m -83% 3,775 thtrs
Lego Batman 53.0m / 2.72m -82% 4,088 thtrs
Spider-verse 35.36m / 2.76m -71% 3,813 thtrs
Ferdinand 13.40m / 1.20m -71% 3,621 thtrs
Grinch (2018) 67.57m / 10.66m -50% 4,141 thtrs

Should be noted that Ferdinand blew past all expectations. All the same it is an example of Christmas magic.

dn1tux.jpg

Come on Spider-verse! Pull a Ferdinand!

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently online sales for Aquaman are super-hot. Like almost as hot as that haka Momoa did on the red carpet. Current tracking is for $110 - $120M for the five day period before Christmas. With holiday legs, AM should easily pass $300M domestic and $800M WW.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquama...nnifer-lopez-christmas-box-office-1202522277/

My revised prediction from when Aquaman numbers started up in China (900m WW 275–300m in China) looks like it's in good hands, but man if it hits Homecoming numbers DOM it's not unlikely to break 1b.

Now watch Captain Marvel and Far From Home not match Aquamans performance in China. Granted considering that low man on the totem poll, ANTMAN 2, performed strongly (in comparison to other MCU Solos) in China, I'm thinking we could see future Solos bumping up by tens of millions on average in their China takes.

Though it's possible that the NEXT avengers movie pushes the solo MCU films there into what might turn out to be the new normal.

Last edited:

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
Saw Bumblebee tonight. That was pretty good. You could actually see shit during the action scenes. A concept that Bay never seemed to be able wrap his head around.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Apparently online sales for Aquaman are super-hot. Like almost as hot as that haka Momoa did on the red carpet. Current tracking is for $110 - $120M for the five day period before Christmas. With holiday legs, AM should easily pass $300M domestic and $800M WW.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquama...nnifer-lopez-christmas-box-office-1202522277/

Wait isn't the Entoura-

Never bet against James Cameron!

oh my god.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Now can DC keep focusing on the individual movies? All of the team ups have been utter trash and 2 out of 3 of them bombed. The individual movies have all been better and more successful. Stop racing to copy marvel and do your own thing for a bit.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's criminal Spider-Verse didn't open stronger. Maybe the very positive reviews and word of mouth will keep it from diminishing over an unusual period of weeks a la Wonder Woman.

It's looking like Aquaman was so strong overseas that it will only need like a $250m domestic box office to justify a sequel, which it will probably blow past.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Engines wasn't actually that bad.

Predictable and boring at times, but the world on wheels concept is interesting enough. Glad the movie didn't end in a cliffhanger.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The goal post moving is amazing. BvS wasn't bomb. No matter what how you try to justify it to yourself.

I literally just said that in my post. BvS wasn't a bomb in the sense that it probably didn't lose money but it doesn't change the point I was making that in general the big team up movies from DC just haven't been all that successful.

The previous 2 Batman movies grossed over 1 billion WW and if anything the international market has grown a lot since then. Even man of steel grossed 668 million WW. Wonder Woman grossed 820 million alone. You can't tell me DC were aiming for just 855 million for the first time those 3 characters were on screen together.

Even motherfucking aquaman could come pretty close to BvS numbers, that should tell you everything really. Their individual movies are performing better at the BO and have been much better received critically so why not keep going with that for a little bit before attempting another big team up?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BvS wasn't a bomb, but it was a huge disappointment given the significance of the 2 Brands meeting for the first time in cinema of the 2 biggest iconic superheroes of the last 5 decades. 1 billion dollars worldwide Box Office should've been the worst case scenario.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't get behind
For as basic as it is, I still feel there was at least a bit of passion behind AM&TW

Venom is made purely out of obligation. It's not terrible, just hollow. Loved how he looked though

Ton Hardy passioned the shit out of Venom. Other people might have been doing it for the paycheck, but he was all in. For all the budget and shoot time that AmatW had it never escaped itself. I couldn't consider Antman 2 a more passionate production than Venom by any stretch, and you can see some flourishes from the director (like the yoga bits) where they really do make what would otherwise be a by the numbers film their own as much as they can. It's also why I have a lot of optimism for the sequel, being that Hardy and co will be given better conditions to make the sequel. To me Antman 2 is just more polished, but that's about it.

Tucked inside your average superhero origin story was a split-personality performance bursting with comedic energy.

Director Ruben Fleischer attributes most of that Jim Carrey-esque energy to Hardy.

"Tom's a naturally funny person in his own right and I don't think that's ever been showcased," Fleischer tells Polygon. "So I was thrilled that he leaned it."

Hardy achieved his manic interpretation of Venom through technology he first embraced for 2015's Legend, in which he played twin, professional criminals Ronnie and Reggie Kray. During the filming of Legend, Hardy would record his lines as both brothers at the beginning of the day, then play them back to himself on set through a near-invisible headphone called an earwig. He used the same mechanism to find the rhythm between a deteriorating Eddie and the alien devil whispering into his ears.

"We would have the sound guys trigger Venom's lines that he had pre-recorded so he could literally act opposite himself and hear Venom's voice inside his head just as Eddie would," Fleischer says. "So whether it was in a scene with Michelle [Williams] or our other actors or just by himself, he was literally hearing himself, but in his head. Hardy's experience was as close as an actor to get to being actually inhabited by an alien, other than blasting off to the nearest meteor.

Just as Hardy could reinvent entire scenes by being his own scene partner, the actor also stepped on to the Venom set ready to make the moments his own. Fleischer says the direction of the scene, in which a rabid Eddie/Venom rampages through a fine-dining establishment in search of raw meat, escalated after an improvised idea by Hardy.

"At that [rehearsal], Tom saw that the production designer had put a giant lobster tank in the center of the restaurant and that was just a true design choice just to make it seem like a fancy restaurant. As soon as Tom sees it, he goes, 'Well, I'm going to go in the tank.'

Even if you're Tom Hardy, you don't just jump in a lobster tank and call it day. "The designer was like, 'We didn't build it for somebody to go in!'" Fleischer says. "And, you know, they were all live lobsters."

Then improvised direction required the rejiggering of major elements to allow for Eddie/Venom to plunge into and feast, and for Hardy to do it all safely. As anyone who witnessed the The Mask-like spectacle, they pulled off the construction and stunt work under the wire. And the lobsters gobbled up by a Venomized Eddie? Marshmallow crustaceans with chocolate syrup blood.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/8/17951952/venom-movie-lobster-scene-tom-hardy

I have zero problem standing with the general audiences on this one. Venom was awesome and it sits next to the few BRs I own: Blade Runner 2049, Fury Road, Deadpool, The Fountain, Alien, Unbreakable, and Robocop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

Gitesh says 300M by Thursday, but it's pretty clear that Aquaman will hit that on Wednesday with plenty to spare.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
Why are people so inclined to make a big deal about China? Profit margin is like 50% there

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people so inclined to make a big deal about China? Profit margin is like 50% there

Closer to 25%. Money is money. Particularly when you're taking home closer to 300m in revenue. What does the margin matter, being lower than the INT average is you're running 3.5 times as much in gross compared to the UK from a market that didn't really exist not too long ago and continues to be the fastest growing in the world. So just imagine what the 25% take will amount to in the near future, not too mention that it was roughly 13% not long ago, and could go up from 25% in time. That and benchmarks are benchmarks which have implications on future releases.

Infinity War UK: 96m x .25 0.40 = 38.4m return
Infinity War China: 359m x 0.25 = 89.75m return

Wikipedia lists Infinity War as having had up to a 400m budget, so nearly 1 quarter of that almost got paid by China (oversimplification but you get the point), lack of strong ancillary markets be damned.

Last edited:

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I just like following the total BO numbers, I don't really care how much money the studios make for the most part. International markets are also less than domestic numbers but I still find them interesting.

China tends to get more attention because it's the only market that can come close to domestic numbers. I do post Australian discussion semi often but nobody cares because the numbers are relatively small. It's only natural that the bigger numbers will get more attention.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Speaking of overseas profit sharing and ancillary markets, I found the image that I was looking for a week or two back. It is from a 2014 article, so some of the dvd/bluray pie likely switched to digital, but it largely holds true now:

oeAfrpp.png

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of overseas profit sharing and ancillary markets, I found the image that I was looking for a week or two back. It is from a 2014 article, so some of the dvd/bluray pie likely switched to digital, but it largely holds true now:

OG-AC418_MOVIED_G_20140828122849.jpg
Might be due to mobile but I can't see the image or copy the Url

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

oeAfrpp.png

Wow I'm shocked that television would bring in that much, where does it come from? I know here in Australia back in the 90s movies would come close to being the highest rated programs of the year.

Now though? They get terrible ratings. I'm amazed that TV would come close to theatre takings or DVD but there you go.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Television includes the premium cable channels and their VoD services. Possibly Netflix and the like as well. I think that digital is digital purchases and rentals.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Solo was never bomb of the year though, prior to ME, it was Wrinkle in Time and Robin Hood.
Wrinkle in Time bombed so hard in the US that Disney didn't even bother to release it in a lot of markets. It got cancelled from cinema release here one month in advance and then, to add insult to injury, they also completely cancelled the home release.

It deserved it considering it's an awful movie, but it's still kinda shocking to me that Disney would just try to delete a movie from.existence so thoroughly in 2018.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced that the original Lord of the Rings trilogy was merely a fluke for Peter Jackson.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Just saw Variety saying Aquaman tracking for 110 million opening, pretty huge for December. Hope they can salvage Justice League universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.