• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Cameron will disown Alita and that new Terminator film as soo as it flops at the box office. I wonder what they will say if Avatar 2 flops.

I tell what I would pay to see, James Cameron explaining to Bob Iger why he needs more money for the Avatar sequels. Cameron has to used to the idea that, at Disney, he's a medium sized fish in a very big pond.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
In China Aquaman is cruising for a nearly identical 2nd Monday drop compared to Venom, but it had a higher weekend so.... we shall see.
Toxic to be the Aquaman 2 villain confirmed.
Man, Alita is really going to test that to it's absolute limits next year.
Nah, him being a producer on Alita doesn't count. Same as his documentary films.
Alita is gonna be Rodriguez's Jupiter Ascending.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Not surprised about Mortal Engines. With the possible exception of the Harry Potter movies (ymmv whether they really belong to the genre), has any YA novel adaption actually worked?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I tell what I would pay to see, James Cameron explaining to Bob Iger why he needs more money for the Avatar sequels. Cameron has to used to the idea that, at Disney, he's a medium sized fish in a very big pond.

If this means that we get Cameron to actually do something interesting other than Avatar, than that will be a good thing. Cameron should have let Avatar go. It came and went, no one cares. It feels like a sequel to a film that no one wanted. Let Avatar be its own thing. I'd very much rather see actual Cameron's Battle Alita or literally any other thing than to rehash Avatar again.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
It's funny that the typical college junior wasn't even born when Titanic came out. A whole generation of people whose only experience with a James Cameron theatrical release was Avatar.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Cameron and his fans will disown Alita and that new Terminator film as soo as it flops at the box office. I wonder what they will say if Avatar 2 flops.

If this means that we get Cameron to actually do something interesting other than Avatar, than that will be a good thing. Cameron should have let Avatar go. It came and went, no one cares. It feels like a sequel to a film that no one wanted. Let Avatar be its own thing. I'd very much rather see actual Cameron's Battle Alita or literally any other thing than to rehash Avatar again.

Avatar 2 is going to be at least $1b film at the very least. I think we all know it has nearly zero chance of "flopping."

I think anyone expecting Avatar's success for all of its sequels is going to be disappointed. But to say, "Cameron should have let Avatar go" makes absolutely no sense. It's literally the biggest movie of all time and Avatar 2 will be massive.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Avatar 2 is going to be at least $1b film at the very least. I think we all know it has nearly zero chance of "flopping."

I think anyone expecting Avatar's success for all of its sequels is going to be disappointed. But to say, "Cameron should have let Avatar go" makes absolutely no sense. It's literally the biggest movie of all time and Avatar 2 will be massive.
Yeah. I think Avengers 1 might be the floor unless Cameron somehow completely shat the bed...which is doubtful.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
No problem

Got a link?
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/12/sony-spider-man-future-amy-pascal-phil-lord-interview

The bigger question here, then, is what will happen to the Sony-Marvel Studios collaboration when their initial deal expires.
"I think about crying," Pascal said of a future in which Spider-Man and Marvel retreat to separate corners. "I can only hope for a future where things work out. I've known Kevin since he was Avi's very, very quiet assistant, who for many years sat in that room listening to us and being so much smarter than any of us without any of us realizing. I will say that working with Marvel has been one of the highlights of my professional career."

After the initial custody dispute over Spider-Man, Pascal and Feige's working relationship has reportedly been convivial; in fact, Feige gave her thorough, friendly notes and feedback on her earlier Spider-Man films long before Marvel was legally on the hook to do so. And their joint deal has certainly been financially lucrative for both companies. But the union hasn't come without its sticky complications: Sony's insistence that Holland's second stand-alone film, Far from Home, be released in 2019 threw a wrench in Marvel's preferred degree of secrecy around Avengers: Endgame, for instance

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why they can't just get Andrew Garfield back for the Venom-verse. If DC can have two Flashes, two Supermans, and three Jokers, Sony can have two Peter Parkers.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Casual reminder that Pascal hasn't been in charge of Sony (or even at Sony) for over 3 years and that any decisions about Marvel isn't hers to make. So reading too much into that interview (and I really do think that suggesting that she is suggesting the deal is coming to an end is reading way too much into it) is probably not advisable.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toxic to be the Aquaman 2 villain confirmed.

Nah, him being a producer on Alita doesn't count. Same as his documentary films.
Alita is gonna be Rodriguez's Jupiter Ascending.
It's going to be a nail bitter on who can come out on top if Aquaman keeps that 1% currency advantage and makes up ground with slightly bigger weekends and early week days but worse weekday drops where it may then fall behind XD
If they both get extensions, Aquaman stands a better chance to beat it, owing to less competition during that period.

Casual reminder that Pascal hasn't been in charge of Sony (or even at Sony) for over 3 years and that any decisions about Marvel isn't hers to make. So reading too much into that interview (and I really do think that suggesting that she is suggesting the deal is coming to an end is reading way too much into it) is probably not advisable.

Yeah. The last time she tried to play hardball in talking about the deal ending she outright said it in plain English. Her saying it would break her heart if it came to pass that he wasn't in the MCU at any point isn't exactly that, and to say that it's passive aggressive hardball is pure speculation

Yeah. The last time she tried to play hardball in talking about the deal ending she outright said it in plain English. Her saying it would break her heart if it came to pass that he wasn't in the MCU at any point isn't exactly that, and to say that it's passive aggressive hardball is pure speculation
I don't see why they can't just get Andrew Garfield back for the Venom-verse. If DC can have two Flashes, two Supermans, and three Jokers, Sony can have two Peter Parkers.

No one wants Andrew Garfleid back, not even him. Sony has said that the live action Spider-Man Who will be interacting with Venom is Tom Holland MCU Spider-Man and it's just a matter (to them) of when and where.

Last edited:

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it's largely up to Rothman and Panitch - but she is definitely a part of the conversation and has loose lips so it's somewhat interesting to hear her opinion.

She was the one that initially pointed out the contract is through FFH to begin with, for example.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Seems like Aquaman did slightly better overseas this weekend and global total is actually 266 million

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Visual aid for Aquaman v Venom in China:

Spider-verse in China
Also, taking a look at the presales for Spider-verse in China. It has a very standard bump today (45-50%) so despite the packed previews and great impressions it doesn't seem like there's a breakout happening yet.

Maybe we will start to see some traction closer to release. Still, the projected 15m opening in China is solid. CoCo opened around there and blew up after, so anything is possible.

While I think that Spider-verse will do fine for itself, I wouldn't be surprised to see think prices about why it didn't 'catch on' if it doesn't break out to match the reviews and audience scores.

Also, Spider-verses opening (DOM) set a new record for an animated film in December!

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' Delivers Largest December Animated Opening at $35.4 Million

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4467&p=.htm

People expecting LEGO Batman numbers OS were crazy. Previews and presales did not match that, and it's opening more like LEGO 1 with a better spread per market so far than LEGO Batman

Opening weekend

South Korea
Spider-verse: 3.3m
LEGO Movie 0.7m / 1.4m
LEGO Batman 0.5m / 1m

United Kingdom
LEGO Movie 13.5m / 56.9m
LEGO Batman 9.9m / 34.6m
Spider-verse 2.9m

China
Spider-verse (projected) 15m
LEGO Batman 3.5m / 6.1m
LEGO Movie <did not release>

Russia
LEGO Movie 2.7m / 6.1m
Spider-verse 2.3m
LEGO Batman 2.1m / 4.8m

Australia
LEGO Movie 5.3m / 27.8m
Spider-verse 2.3m
LEGO Batman no data / 8.8m

Keeping in mind that UK, Australia etc were the markets that carried LEGO HARD and China will have a stronger opening than than LEGO 1 did in the UK the king market of carrying LEGO. Hitting the UKs OWx might now happen, but SV in China and the UK should cover a substantial amount of LEGO UKs gross.

So far it looks like Spider-verse will soak the deficits it acrues in European market with better returns in Asia with the added edge that LEGO 1 didn't release in China. So roughly LEGO Movie returns OS seem likely unless it legs or soaks hard here or there. If it pulls a CoCo in China it could somehow manage to hit 600m or take out Antman 2 :p

The only concern is if it doesn't broaden its demos and is stuck in direct competition to Aquaman and Mary Poppins from the other end making it Stillborn with the family crowd.

Last edited:

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Ouch at those Mortal Engines numbers! Not terribly surprised though: not great reviews, odd concept for those who haven't read the novels, no hype.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Actually, I've changed my mind. I think am a little surprised at those Mortal Engines numbers. Not that it bombed, but how hard. $10 Million less than Valerian's opening weekend, 11 less than Ghost in the Shell or Jupiter Ascending's? That's... wow!

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Visual aid for Aquaman v Venom in China:

Spider-verse in China
Also, taking a look at the presales for Spider-verse in China. It has a very standard bump today (45-50%) so despite the packed previews and great impressions it doesn't seem like there's a breakout happening yet.

Maybe we will start to see some traction closer to release. Still, the projected 15m opening in China is solid. CoCo opened around there and blew up after, so anything is possible.

While I think that Spider-verse will do fine for itself, I wouldn't be surprised to see think prices about why it didn't 'catch on' if it doesn't break out to match the reviews and audience scores.

Also, Spider-verses opening (DOM) set a new record for an animated film in December!

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' Delivers Largest December Animated Opening at $35.4 Million

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4467&p=.htm

People expecting LEGO Batman numbers OS were crazy. Previews and presales did not match that, and it's opening more like LEGO 1 with a better spread per market so far than LEGO Batman

Opening weekend

South Korea
Spider-verse: 3.3m
LEGO Movie 0.7m / 1.4m
LEGO Batman 0.5m / 1m

United Kingdom
LEGO Movie 13.5m / 56.9m
LEGO Batman 9.9m / 34.6m
Spider-verse 2.9m

China
Spider-verse (projected) 15m
LEGO Batman 3.5m / 6.1m
LEGO Movie <did not release>

Russia
LEGO Movie 2.7m / 6.1m
Spider-verse 2.3m
LEGO Batman 2.1m / 4.8m

Australia
LEGO Movie 5.3m / 27.8m
Spider-verse 2.3m
LEGO Batman no data / 8.8m

Keeping in mind that UK, Australia etc were the markets that carried LEGO HARD and China will have a stronger opening than than LEGO 1 did in the UK the king market of carrying LEGO. Hitting the UKs OWx might now happen, but SV in China and the UK should cover a substantial amount of LEGO UKs gross.

So far it looks like Spider-verse will soak the deficits it acrues in European market with better returns in Asia with the added edge that LEGO 1 didn't release in China. So roughly LEGO Movie returns OS seem likely unless it legs or soaks hard here or there. If it pulls a CoCo in China it could somehow manage to hit 600m or take out Antman 2 :p

The only concern is if it doesn't broaden its demos and is stuck in direct competition to Aquaman and Mary Poppins from the other end making it Stillborn with the family crowd.

I know this wasn't really the main focus of your post but I'd just like to reinforce just how well the LEGO movie performed in Australia. It was the second highest grossing movie that year which is just insane. Batman also traditionally has performed extremely well in Australia so lego Batman was a pretty huge bomb here.

Spider-Man had an awful opening but animated films live and die by their legs not their opening weeks. I'm torn which way it will go. It will struggle to maintain theatres with the heavy competition in the coming weeks and I feel it will be overshadowed by the grinch.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Saw Aquaman a few hours ago and it was a blast. The action was fantastic, with some brutal fights, they weren't pulling their punches here, god damn.

No wonder it's doing well, it was awesome and great to see DC have a bit more fun and not go so dark and serious.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn Mortal Engines should have pulled an Alita and postpone. It was a mistake to release on a heavy month like this one.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the Sonic Twitter may have implied that the Movie has been delayed due to the negative reaction to what we have seen of Sonic thus far. So a monster Trucks situation, potentially.

The movie was originally pitched in 2013 after Adam Goodman watched his son play with his truck toys. It became a priority project for Paramount animation and the studio dreamed of "a Transformers-like franchise." Most of the movie was filmed by 2014 but it got delayed. The movie got a bunch of reshoots before it's first test screening in 2016.

It was a disaster. How can you make a children's movie that drives kids out of the theater? The children were terrified by the monster which was described as a "cross between Judge Doom, a mentally-handicapped E.T., and a squid".

luca-nemolato-monstertrucks-creatureexpression-angry-v1.jpg
Early "Monster Trucks" Creech concept art by Luca Nemolato
Children were literally scared to tears. That's a bad sign when you're making a kid's film. More than half the test audience left by the time the movie was over.

That led to almost a year of panicked reshoots to try and save the film. The budget ballooned to $125 million. The movie's marketing didn't help with the first trailer highlighting a belching squid monster.

http://www.thegeektwins.com/2018/10/10-movies-ruined-by-reshoots.html

Though it could just be referencing the fact that the movie has always been slated as a next year release.

https://twitter.com/SonicMovie/status/1074853082159243264?s=19

It's to be seen if that move was successful for Alita.

Alita at least looks like it knows what it's doing and has had some decent trailers to follow the bug eye reveal. I think it will do... 'fine', even if that means that it only breaks even.

Wait a minute, I wonder how much it cost to ma--

*googles*

200 million USD

Last edited:

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
So the Sonic Twitter may have implied that the Movie has been delayed due to the negative reaction to what we have seen of Sonic thus far. So a monster Trucks situation, potentially.

Though it could just be referencing the fact that the movie has always been slated as a next year release.

I really hope this isn't the case. I was afraid they would retool it due to the backlash. But I need to see what horrible design they were planning to go with. I NEED IT.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/SonicMovie/status/1074853082159243264?s=19

Alita at least looks like it knows what it's doing and has had some decent trailers to follow the bug eye reveal. I think it will do... 'fine', even if that means that it only breaks even.

Wait a minute, I wonder how much it cost to ma--

*googles*

200 million USD

I assume Rodriguez stared at the gigantic pile of money and wondered, after finishing the film, what he was supposed to do with that.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume Rodriguez stared at the gigantic pile of money and wondered, after finishing the film, what he was supposed to do with that.

200m + PA... woo boy... I don't know my man. That budget was a good 20m—40m—60m higher than I thought. That's like... a lot of money. They should have like, lied, and tried to make it seem like it is a James Cameron film even harder than BurnBright tries to sell the name of James Gun.

Aquaman has a great drop in China. Locking in 250m. It could go as high as 285 w/o extension.

Venom got its theaters decimated again but came close to.5m in China over the weekend and .13 in US. It's really close to 213m DOM and is looking good to hit a few more m overall. It's not quite dead yet.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like this recent "first Thursday show at 5/6pm" change. I'm still working or just left when the movie starts, and I don't want to see the 8:30 show because I know I'll be tired as hell driving back.

Not all bad news for Peter Jackson this week

I was looking at showtimes around me last night and the 3d version was selling more tickets. All the times were decently crowded.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Venom prob won't beat GotG2. I ended up fucking up a lot of Venom, which was on me. I'm writting up a bit of a postmortem on it explaining why in comparison to BP (where I did everything manually).

Time issues on my part and trying to essentially live test an in progress beta project (written in C) was a big mistake and my own fault. I should have known better, so sorry about the weird projections for it now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.