• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Once Upon a Deadpool numbers actually seem pretty good considering it's been on DVD/BluRay for months.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 5 year old, and I would say that Spider-verse isn't really appropriate for younger kids. Not because anything in it is objectionable (at least beyond the network cartoons that we used to watch), but because it is not written in a way that will appeal to children. There is a long ramp up to action, a lot of the plot focuses on interpersonal stuff that is not going to interest them. Basically a recipe for bored little kids.
Anecdotally, but the kids at my screening were super invested in everything, even yelling encouragement at the characters. They might not get all the nuances of the interpersonal drama, but they felt the emotion.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Engines is dead on arrival. Next week's drop is going to be flat out disastrous for it.

Spider-verse is doing well! Not the super big numbers that I want but I'm rooting for strong word of mouth to give it strong legs.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Doing a Monkey King movie would be the equivalent of those "See the story that inspired the thing you care about" movies for like Robin Hood and Moby Dick that keep bombing.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a Dolby Cinema screening tonight and it was an audiovisual feast. Love feeling the bass when it comes in heavy. That said people really really liked it even if it was maybe less than a quarter full. Kids were cheering during certain emotional parts near the end. Its the only movie where everyone stayed for the after credits scene as well. Like I never see that.

I think good word of mouth could carry it through the holidays even with the other heavy hitters. I'm certainly gonna tell my coworkers it was an absolute blast.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Spider that low? Is it solely because it's animated? It's not like Pixar movies don't do huge numbers though.

edit: I see this has been asked already. Still confusing to me.
Pixar films don't have live action properties. It's not the garbage like Ferdinand is probably going to make more internationally. People have mentioned even here that some people default into thinking that an animated film with live action properties, is somehow automatically worse by virtue of being animated. People I mention the film to will tell me, "oh that cartoon version?" I clench my teeth and tell them it's not a cartoon lol.

Hinkypunk

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I have never produced a movie in my life.

Give me $100M and I promise you I will make you more money than Mortal Engines.

Just... what. How did this get greenlit?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Universal could have somewhat 'saved' Mortal Engines if they gave a shit.

I mean stuff like the wooden acting was too far gone but if they edited the movie better (especially the final act) and added a few scenes (especially for character development and expanding on major plot points) which I'm shocked didn't exist to begin with. With these the movie would have been pretty solid.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I don't even think the movie is bad in the state it got released in. It's awful in places for sure but the first two thirds are genuniely mostly decent. At the very least it's one of the best looking films ever made with great action scenes.

If Universal even bothered to delay it for a less packed period there's no doubt it would have done far better. Nowhere near enough to break even, but a lot better regardless.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I saw Mortal Engines in IMAX today. I quite enjoyed it but the theater was pretty dead. To be fair, it was in the afternoon and there was no one in concession lines at all and I live in a city. Might've been a slow movie weekend cause everyone is doing last minute weekend shopping (next weekend will be travel weekend).

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
If Disney or Pixar made it their next big animated movie they could get people to care.

That wasn't the arguement though. Dragonball has all the elements that movie studios clamour over when it comes to properties. And Disney isn't exactly always a live action hit maker anyway. A wrinkle in Time, Poppins, Christopher Robin. And Pixar only does CGI, that would be an atrocious idea

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Disney/Pixar could absolutely make a killing with a Monkey King film that was a Coco or Moana esque celebration of its culture.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't the arguement though. Dragonball has all the elements that movie studios clamour over when it comes to properties. And Disney isn't exactly always a live action hit maker anyway. A wrinkle in Time, Poppins, Christopher Robin. And Pixar only does CGI, that would be an atrocious idea
CGI is fine. Monkey King would finally get some fur effects.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Go see Spider-Verse, everyone. Seriously.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Unless Spiderverse has awesome legs I don't think this weekend number is very good.

I saw it yesterday too great movie. I can definitely tell the lack of interest though as at the 1:30PM showing I went too there were 15 people in the theater.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully I can watch Into the Spider Verse again next week in IMAX. Mortal Engines was taking up all viewing at my local IMAX theater.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
BH6 almost made $700mm worldwide. Animated comic properties can do well, as long as the Disney logo is at the beginning.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Happy for Ralph 2, wonder is there is going to be a sequel.

As for the Spiderman movie, I'm looking forward to it. It will be on cinemas on the 25th in my country (I think).

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Finally a thread where i can talk about ME. So there is this kind of disappointment after watching ME (not the one with effect), but i felt that it wasnt as satisfying as Pacific Rim.. and then the revelation came i realized i got peter jackson confused with guillermo del torro 😑😑😑😑😑😑😑😑

My whole hype is literally a lie

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, I feel like most people didn't know that was actually based on a comic.

It's more like an inspiration with the film seeing to approximate some of the names and concepts and do very different things with them. Like you said too, no one knew about the comic. It would be accurate to say that the film was inspired by the comic, but that's as far as I would go with it, personally.

Sunfire_%26_Big_Hero_6_No.1.jpg

3Team roster
Because Miles is a better character don't @ me.

Miles isn't likely to be in the MCU given that Sony is using him. You're much more likely to see Spider-verse miles get translated to Live Action through Sony's stuff (that they consider as a part of MCU Spider-Man).

Spiderverse is the Mask of the Phantasm of the Spiderman movie series.

It's a non-canon animated entry in-between two ongoing live action movies, so the public will treat it as something smaller and less interesting.

It's 'Sony cannon' but the GA wouldn't get that. The clip of it that plays after the Credits of Venom captions it as 'meanwhile, in another universe...'.

Fun fact: at one point, burnout Spider-Man was going to be the Sam Riami/Toby Maguire Spidey.

Maybe Sony should have had the Spider-verse Clip play like 15 seconds into Venoms credits haha.

And explicitly tied back to Venom during Spider-verse.

Last edited:

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Pascal said she'd like Spider-Man to stay in the MCU. But in a way that made it seem like it's not happening.

Sony should just go with 2099 at this point for live-action

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Pascal said she'd like Spider-Man to stay in the MCU. But in a way that made it seem like it's not happening.

Sony should just go with 2099 at this point for live-action

As much as I'd like 2099, they could just do adult Peter as Spidey, and with fresh Miles. Across the PS4 game and Spiderverse, it's something that'd be great as a movie.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
ME was pretty shit. Very disappointed that we went with that rather than Spiderverse because my mate isn't a fan of comic book property.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Went to see Aquaman. Planning to go see spider verse after Xmas. Hoping by then it's still got plenty of showings and not put on the graveyard shift.

Gekidami

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Mortal Engines would have been better as a TV series, or an animation.

The books are awesome, a shame to see it handled this way.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
A couple of take aways this weekend.

-- Yes, Spiderverse has great WOM and it has the Xmas corridor to really stretch it legs but that's dependent on it finding a larger audience but the question now becomes can Sony really connect with the family audiences because they didn't turn up this opening weekend. Personally I always thought this was going to be a hard sell as it's animation and general storyline seemed a little too 'esoteric' for a general audience and that might still prove true. I think a $35m opening for a property like Spider-Man (albeit an animation) is solid at best but nothing more.

Then again Sony did a great job of getting Venom out there and making it a huge hit proving just about everyone wrong so they might yet do it again.

-- From the announcement of the green light and the casting Mortal Engines just looked like a bomb in the making. But I don't think anyone thought it would be a bomb of this size. While MRC and Universal will be left holding the can a lot of this falls on Peter Jackson's shoulders. With no name to really sell the film (cast of unknowns, first time director) the marketing had to rely on Jackson's name coupled with big VFX to pull in punters and it blew up in their face.

I'd expect Jackson to hitch his wagon to a big studio IP (presumably WB but not necessarily DCU) after this if he wants to stay out of director jail and keep his 'stock' afloat.

-- Elderly white men love Clint. The Mule should have solid legs given that it will give granddads something to do when the rest of the family are off to watch Aquaman or Mary Poppins over Xmas.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we end up with Venom out grossing spiderverse 8:1, I'll.. Well, I won't do anything. But my jimmies will be rustled.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In China Aquaman is cruising for a nearly identical 2nd Monday drop compared to Venom, but it had a higher weekend so.... we shall see.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Much like the YA Paranormal Romance adaptations before that. I wonder what the next YA fad will be? YA Political Thrillers?
I was thinking hypothetically about a movie adaptation of Horizon: Zero Dawn, and that game's plot could basically be considered a YA post-apocalypse dystopia. Being a game adaptation, it's got it's own baggage, but it could counter the YA movie drag effect.

YA video game adaptations.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
'Aquaman' Amazon Prime Previews Hook Near $3M Besting 'Jumanji 2'

DAMN.

UPDATED 12:09PM: with more preview figures: One Saturday 7PM show at roughly 1,225 theaters last night of Warner Bros./DC's Aquaman made a huge $2M$2.9M in paid sneaks, a figure that beats the $1.86M earned by Amazon Prime's previous collaboration with Sony a year ago on Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. If we were to rank Aquaman on this weekend's B.O. chart it would file in 13th 10th place ahead of Universal's Green Book ($2.78M at 1,215 theaters), Fox Searchlight's The Favourite ($2.5M weekend at 439 theaters) and Fox/New Regency's Widows ($1.2M at 1,228).

Status
Not open for further replies.