• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
We have had quite the year for bombs. You can't top Solo but all these Mortal Hoods are giving it a good shake.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Just came out of Aquaman and I enjoyed it and I felt that the rest of the audience did as well. It has some corny scenes but overall it's a good time. Reminded me a bit of Thor Ragnarok, not as good but same vibe. The main characters are likeable enough and it has a ton of action sequences. The part in
Italy
was great.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is interest in Spider-Man so limited? Marvel's biggest superhero only beat The Emoji Movie by like 9M.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Peter Jackson needs to go back to his roots and make some horror/comedies again. His fantasy stuff has been such a bore.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Glad mortal engines is flopping movie looked terrible and my local imax chose to screen it rather than spiderverse.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Why is interest in Spider-Man so limited? Marvel's biggest superhero only beat The Emoji Movie by like 9M.

Non-heavily family oriented/appeal animated movies just never do very well unfortunately. Even Star Wars (with The Clone Wars) only did $35m total domestic. Spider-verse will be one of the more successful ones at least though.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Why is Spider that low? Is it solely because it's animated? It's not like Pixar movies don't do huge numbers though.

edit: I see this has been asked already. Still confusing to me.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That new spidey movie cost 90M? The fuck.
Have you seen it? The visuals are ground breaking and feature some pretty amazing stuff.

Unfortunately the choppy visual style (which is not related to how fluid the animation can be ... parts of it are amazingly fluid) seems to be bothering some viewers, and make some people think this is a TV- level production ala Teen Titans the movie.

Spider-Verse is fantastic, and deserves a ton of BO. With a bit of luck it will be carried by word of mouth during the Holidays and repeat viewing.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't figure out if I should go see spider-verse in cinemas or not. I really want it to do well but finding the time is difficult, and no cinemas in my entire country is showing it in 3d (which i love) so I might get more out of just waiting. Its a shame to see it isn't doing better though. Everything I've heard is very positive. Although I think the choppy framerate might have prevented this from being as big as it could. Hope it has legs !

Aug 1, 2018
God damn, that Mortal Engines bomb, haha. Welp, I was thinking about going to see that today, but I think I'll got see Spiderman again instead.

Oct 27, 2017
So...at this point, LOTR was a fluke for Peter Jackson?

No? He's had plenty of successes and he didn't even direct Mortal Engines. Although I do wonder what kind of health Weta is in if this is an enormous bomb.

That new spidey movie cost 90M? The fuck.

I mean, compared to anything from Disney Animation Studios, Pixar or Dreamworks, 90 million is an extremely modest budget. And the film looks terrific so you can definitely see the money on screen.

Oct 27, 2017
Saw both Spider-Verse and Aquaman over the weekend. Spider-Verse was amazing and might be my favorite movie this year. Aquaman...was certainly not that.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Verse was so good. Hope it does well. Certainly seems like the OW at least looks good?

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Deadline put put a (not great) article detailing how much money Mortal Engines is gonna lose (spoiler: it's a lot)
'Mortal Engines' Conks Out At The B.O. And Is Poised To Lose At Least $100M+: Here's Why
[T]his weekend we're seeing the Peter Jackson-produced $110M+ Mortal Engines a casualty of its own ambition to create a brand new world on screen with a disastrous opening of $7.5M and a running worldwide total of $42.3M.

Rival film finance sources project that should Mortal Engines chug its way to a global gross of $120M–and that's a lofty projection–it would still lose around $105M, however, they believe it could be much greater in the neighborhood of $150M after all ancillaries are factored in down the road.
$120M is a very generous prediction.
The reason why Mortal Engines failed to fire up is inherent in the property itself, an early millennium Scholastic series of novels by Philip Reeve which, as we can see from the pic's global ticket sales, is not known or cared about by many.
There's not much more analysis to the article but a lot more words on the how and hopes for it. But it does give us P&A estimates and exposure for the financial partners on it:
And by the way, it's not as though Uni didn't spend on this movie. Sources believe that the studio shelled out around $120M WW in P&A. In Hollywood at least, billboards and one-sheets were everywhere. Uni cut their losses with an exposure of around 30% with Perfect World and Legendary taking some of the heat in the slate financing, while MRC was in for 50% we understand.

Why do these renowned films keep getting such small openings?
Do you mean in total take or per-theatre-average? Because Beale Street is in 4 theatres, so there's a pretty hard cap on how much it can make from that. That there hasn't been that many Awards Season films that have taken off on a PTA level might be a commodity issue (i.e. the films are just too niche, but lawd if The Favourite managed to break the PTA record for the year "too niche" seems like a misnomer), maybe the audience is too busy with Netflix/HBO/whatever, maybe A Star is Born ate up all the Awards season attention. idk.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Would you say the target audience is the average superhero crowd, or a younger one?

I have a 5 year old, and I would say that Spider-verse isn't really appropriate for younger kids. Not because anything in it is objectionable (at least beyond the network cartoons that we used to watch), but because it is not written in a way that will appeal to children. There is a long ramp up to action, a lot of the plot focuses on interpersonal stuff that is not going to interest them. Basically a recipe for bored little kids.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Why is Spider that low? Is it solely because it's animated? It's not like Pixar movies don't do huge numbers though.

It's more likely everyone is waiting till next week or Christmas to see movies, you'll be shocked how many people see movies on Christmas

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Ralph not even at $300 million yet? Is there a lot of territories left?

Hong Kong 20 December 2018
Japan 21 December 2018
Australia 26 December 2018
Italy 1 January 2019
Argentina 3 January 2019
Brazil 3 January 2019
Serbia 3 January 2019
Bulgaria 4 January 2019
Czech Republic 10 January 2019
Hungary 10 January 2019
Slovakia 10 January 2019
Lithuania 11 January 2019
Poland 11 January 2019
Romania 11 January 2019
Turkey 11 January 2019
Germany 24 January 2019
Norway 1 February 2019
Sweden 1 February 2019
Denmark 7 February 2019
France 13 February 2019

Ralph will do alright, but it is still the bottom rung of popularity for post-Tangled Disney Animation

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Did anybody expect Mortal Engines to be anything other than a flop? The trailers were terrible at conveying any sense of plot

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017

Disney/Pixar has huge name recognition and more importantly, recognition of quality. Not so with SPA, which leads people who don't know better to think it's not that good. Combine that with a superhero movie being animated causing people to think it's somehow "lesser" than live action counterparts (because animated movies can't adapt superhero properties, duh). Add that onto a crowded winter release and it makes sense actually.

In short, people suck.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Every single trailer for Mortal Engines hasn't sold me in the slightest, the results here really don't suprise

Interested in Spiderverse at some point

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is The Grinch gonna make more money DOM than Ralph?

If so than it's freaky how good illumination is at counterprogramming Disney films

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
It kind of sucks that all of these big movies are hitting all at once. There was a long dry spell earlier in the month that could have used some of these releases. Now I'm going to have to skip certain movies for at least a week (sorry, Aquaman) because of other priorities.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Would you say the target audience is the average superhero crowd, or a younger one?
Completely anecdotal, but I asked some of my students (2nd and 3rd grade) if they were going to go see it. They either didn't know what it was or weren't interested.

So at least in my little pocket of the world, the movie seems to have mostly missed the kids. Which is definitely odd for a Spider-Man movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.