• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Is Venom still hitting $850m?
It should already be over $850M (possibly just under depending on currency exchange rates and which tracker you use). It's gonna hit that if it hasn't already but probably not any significant milestone beyond that.
A steep China drop was pretty predictable (even if I thought it had a shot at hitting the high hundred thousands or by sheer force just over a million) but China can produce some absolutely brutal drops towards the end or when something blows up. Venom had both against it.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of how well future films will do domestically, boxoffice.com updated their long range tracking:
Changes:
Code:
Mortal Engines          $12,000,000    -8%    $42,500,000    -8%
The Mule                $17,000,000    +6%    $85,000,000    +6%
Into the Spider-Verse   $31,500,000    +5%    $140,000,000   +4%
Aquaman                 $61,000,000    +5%    $223,000,000   +5%
Bumblebee               $21,000,000    +5%    $100,000,000
Second Act              $6,500,000    -7%     $39,000,000    -3%
Holmes & Watson         $13,000,000    -24%   $69,000,000    -19%
I was waiting for that adjustment for Holmes & Watson. I did feel they were very optimistic on it with that initial tracking, still holidays and maybe it will find an audience and leg out but comedies haven't done great lately.

New entry:
Code:
Miss Bala               $10,000,000           $28,000,000
... maybe it can do better than Proud Mary at least?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alas had ACF not broken out the way it did, Venom would have held on to a lot more showings. Oh well. Looks like it ends up Infinity War'd. No real chance on 880m now, but still a great run.

I am thinking that Aquaman does pretty well domestically too. Not sure about 300M+ just yet, but I am betting that the domestic total is comfortably over Justice League.

We're hearing that the script isn't great, but apparently it delivered on the action scenes in a way that BvS/JL didn't.

Is Venom still hitting $850m?

Venom is already at 850m. 870 seems like the best case scenario atm.

I guess the 880m dream is dead...

But not entirely.

Nqvs.gif

Infinity War did 0.14m on the same day (day 1 of Jurassic World hitting, and earned another 5m. If Venom doubles that based on the comparative Friday it would do about 10-12m more. Pushing it to 282-3M. Keeping in mind that Venom has 4 weeks versus the 3 of Infinity War with the possibility of s minor spider-verse bump. At 282-3M in China, ROW would need to hit 597-598m. It's basically in 'so you're saying there's a chance' territory, but what can you do. We will know in a few weeks :)

Last edited:

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Speaking of how well future films will do domestically, boxoffice.com updated their long range tracking:
Changes:
Code:
Into the Spider-Verse   $31,500,000    +5%    $140,000,000   +4%
Bumblebee               $21,000,000    +5%    $100,000,000
Those don't look like great numbers for Spider-Verse or Bumblebee (much more so for Bumblebee). Hopefully they can beat the tracking and have some good legs.

For comparison, domestically Lego Batman opened to $50m and did $175m.

Last edited:

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm seeing a surprising amount of buzz for Aquman. If it gets even decent reviews, which lets be real would be a win in and of itself for the DCU, I think it could do really well.

What's everyone think of the reception so far to the Avengers Endgame trailer? Seems to be liked well enough but not blowing up at the same level the IW trailer did

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Those don't look like great numbers for Spider-Verse or Bumblebee (moreso for Bumblebee). Hopefully they can beat the tracking and have some good legs.

boxoffice.com has a history of undertracking animated films, they were also (way) low on Venom. I really hope the excellent reviews + good WOM will propel Spider-Verse to a better result than that.

Bumblebee's biggest problem is that it launches in such close proximity to films that seem to be able to steal its thunder, it's still the holiday season so who knows what film might be able to grow them Showman legs. Spider-Verse having that weekend to itself (well, it and Mortal Engines) could be very good for its chances to build WOM.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone think of the reception so far to the Avengers Endgame trailer? Seems to be liked well enough but not blowing up at the same level the IW trailer did

I feel it's because compared to IW first trailer Endgame's isn't that good. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad trailer by any means, but it was really nothing special.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel it's because compared to IW first trailer Endgame's isn't that good. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad trailer by any means, but it was really nothing special.

Yeah I get that Marvel / Russos want to keep the story as secret and under wraps as possible but I feel like they may have played this one too safe.

Had there even been one big battle / action shot at the end I think reception would have been a lot stronger

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah I'm seeing a surprising amount of buzz for Aquman. If it gets even decent reviews, which lets be real would be a win in and of itself for the DCU, I think it could do really well.

The current view count for Endgame is behind by quite a bit I think. Look at the number of likes. Compare it to any other movie trailer.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
What major summer trailers are we still missing? John Wick? Hobbs and Shaw?

Aladdin, Toy Story 4, MIB

Hobbs and Shaw and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood are also big ones, but they're deeper into the summer and don't think we'd see trailers for them for another 1-2 months at the earliest I'd think.

The current view count for Endgame is behind by quite a bit I think. Look at the number of likes. Compare it to any other movie trailer.
? It already has 3x as many likes and just as many views as the new Captain Marvel trailer, which has been out almost all week vs. 6 hours.

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

Hobbs and Shaw and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood are also big ones, but they're deeper into the summer and don't think we'd see trailers for them for another 1-2 months at the earliest I'd think.

? It already has 3x as many likes and just as many views as the new Captain Marvel trailer, which has been out almost all week vs. 6 hours.

I meant that it had as many likes as a trailer with 40M views back when it was still saying 2M views. I expect the view count to be over 50M by the end of the night.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017

We have trailers for Aladdin and Toy Story 4 (or teasers rather). They're not great but we technically have footage from them.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Is Rowan Atkinson stinking rich at this point? His movies always seem to do surprisingly well worldwide for what has to be a relatively cheap production and this has been going on for decades at this point.
He's been very rich for a long time just from the everlasting residuals from Mr. Bean. Everything else is just a bonus.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Avengers Endgame officially moving to April gives Detective Pikachu more breathing room.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Deadline's weekend article is up.

With zero studio wide entries, the weekend box is Disney's Ralph Breaks the Internet to own for an estimated third weekend take of $15M, -41% for what will be a running total of $139.7M.

Universal/Illumination's The Grinch will stay put in second with $2.9M today,$12.5M in weekend 5, -30%, and a running total of $220.8M. MGM/New Line's Creed II follows in third with $9M in weekend 3, -46%, for a total by Sunday of $95M, pacing 20% ahead of Creed at same point in B.O. cycle (final domestic $109.7M).

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be a dull weekend, the only interesting things is to see which of the Oscar hopefuls can play to a large audience. It certainly says something about the weekend when the biggest new release, and only "new" release to open in over 1000 theatres (hell it's the only "new" release in more than 35 theatres) is a re-release of Schindler's List.

So of note;
Can Vox Lux do an I, Tonya for NEON?
Will the audience care for the Oscar re-expansion of that came out in August? (The Wife)
Is the general audience warming up to Lanthimos so that The Favorite can keep up its terrific PTAs even in another expansion?
Why did no one tell me that The Rider has been playing since April and is still in theatres?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I get that Marvel / Russos want to keep the story as secret and under wraps as possible but I feel like they may have played this one too safe.

Had there even been one big battle / action shot at the end I think reception would have been a lot stronger

I asked this in the main thread, but does it matter how the reception is, really? People would just like to know it exists, I think. Is anyone going to skip the culminating Avengers movie over a trailer?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those don't look like great numbers for Spider-Verse or Bumblebee (much more so for Bumblebee). Hopefully they can beat the tracking and have some good legs.

While they aren't great Spider-verse is going to swim based on how well word of mouth actually convinced people to go see it. Also they have a history of under estimating animated features, so it's not the end of the world.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
If Aquaman turns out to be a huge hit then Justice League two should be an aquaman centric event like Throne of Atlantis or something like that.

Aquaman already seems to be adapting aspects of Throne of Atlantis in the solo movie. Regardless, Justice League 2 is a ways off. The thrust now is to keep each as their own franchise, but existing within a shared universe. As in, Jenkins is handling the Wonder Woman franchise, Wan is on the Aquaman franchise, Reeves is on the Batman franchise, etc. Less a a Feige like figure handling the DC franchise, if that makes sense.

But hypothetically if they get to a point where they're happy with each on their own and want a crossover, still think Legion of Doom would be a pretty dope approach, and already teased in JL. Black Manta, Cheetah, Deathstroke, whomever else they get, maybe Black Adam. We're talking mid 2020s.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Venom will officially be taking down Thor Ragnarok (854m) this weekend. Adrift and Dog 13 won't hold onto screens for too long either. It's also possible that Venom shows some meager relative improvements as Aquaman meets its up front capacity.

Last edited:

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

This. They miss read what people want entirely. The trailer is just off. It looks entirely composed of footage from the first 10 minutes of the flick and the Antman gag at the end was tonally off

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. They miss read what people want entirely. The trailer is just off. It looks entirely composed of footage from the first 10 minutes of the flick and the Antman gag at the end was tonally off

The first segment is fantastic but the rest of it could use some work. I like the tone, but whenever they start talking about Thanos wiping out half of all life I just check out. They never once properly establish what the goal of Thanos actually accomplishes, either it's actual need, or if what happened when Thanos was younger isn't set in stone and that this quest is just the irrational drive of a broken person. It's such a vacuous, meaningless, and nothing of an event in the film universe aside from sidelining some heroes. You could replace those words with anything, and it wouldn't matter, unlike in the comics version where the reasons for doing so speak to the character and themes. If the MCU has had any narrative failings beyond a drive to incestuous integration that makes the world feel smaller over time, it's the empty build up to Thanos and giving his quest any arguement and meaning.

Last edited:

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Curious to see how big Aquaman goes in the US, I'm def going to see it the trailer was good. Also after reading soo much mixed reactions here to Venom, glad the blu ray coming out in just over a week (uhd dolby vision no less). Surprised Bumblebee apparently headed for a bomb, transformers movies have been huge in the past, perhaps there just played out.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how there's no critcal reviews for Bumblebee, yet I'm watching it at one of Paramount's early screenings tomorrow. Will the public see it before critics do?

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
So Aquaman is beating in China. It's really a perfect storm of Tencent publishing it, moving being good and coming just when people started to be starved from Venom.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Spider-Verse does better. It's better than all the Marvel and DC films, and though I haven't seen Venom I'm going to assume it's better than that turd too.

I'm super invested in spider verse because I feel like it carries the torch for adult animated films as well as for my boy Miles.

I might go see it again next week, making it the first movie I've seen twice.

As for bumblebee, the trailer gave me Iron Giant vibes, so i hope it's as good. It'd be a shame if the best transformers film will be the lowest grossing one. Likewise with spiderman.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Curious to see how big Aquaman goes in the US, I'm def going to see it the trailer was good. Also after reading soo much mixed reactions here to Venom, glad the blu ray coming out in just over a week (uhd dolby vision no less). Surprised Bumblebee apparently headed for a bomb, transformers movies have been huge in the past, perhaps there just played out.

I'm actually curious, how will the advanced showings for Bumblebee and Aquaman show in opening weekend numbers?

So Aquaman is beating in China. It's really a perfect storm of Tencent publishing it, moving being good and coming just when people started to be starved from Venom.
I'm actually still surprised. Saw an update that it will outgross all other DCEU films by Monday on it's current pace

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
China was actually super thirsty for an underwater adventure movie after Empires of the Deep turned out to be a giant turd.

Status
Not open for further replies.